Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 PM

I LOVE Shark Tank.

So I just discovered a new (new to me) show: Shark Tank. Where have I been all this time? How did I not know about this show already? It's SO addictive.

I've slowly been watching more and more reality television as I grow older. Used to be I hated all forms of reality tv shows other than The Amazing Race...
..recently, though, I've been watching The Biggest Loser, Catfish, Pawn Stars, Ice Road Truckers, Undercover Boss...and now, Shark Tank.

I'm starting to see these shows as sort of MY "guilty pleasure" shows.

What about you? What are your guilty pleasure reality TV shows? And do you watch or like Shark Tank and, if so, what do you think of it?
Advertisements  
Old 05-18-2017, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

It lost a lot of charm when Kevin O Leary decided to run for leader of the opposition party, here in Canada.

Not so entertaining then.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Shark Tank can be interesting, but I find Kevin O'Leary annoying, for calling himself "Mr Wonderful", for telling people who turn down his offer, "You're dead to me" and for his silly royalty-based offers. Plus there's his pretentiousness about wine, talking about his membership in the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:57 PM

I have a family member that has been involved in the production of the show for a while, so I started watching from the start. I love it - it's a very guilty pleasure of mine. I have no connection at all to that world, other than a college friend who has made a very good go of being a VC. Reading his insight into the industry (via various articles he writes) shows it's not entirely accurate in the broader world - but in the Shark Tank world, it certainly is. I see and use the products being pitched (there are several Scrub Daddies in my sink, and my wife has a R. Riveter purse). The entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 PM

One of the fingers on the hand of shows I'd ever deign watch, but I got out of the habit when baseball season started, and now I've forgotten what night it is on.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 PM

Kevin O'Leary is a shitbag, and not nearly as intelligent as he thinks he is. (I still remember wanting to throw shit at the TV while he was wasting time making some poor entrepreneur sit through some tortured metaphor about Persephone, a Greek goddess whose name he didn't know how to pronounce. (Kept calling her purse-a-phone.))

I like the rest of them, though - especially Daymond and Barbara, who tend to be the most level-headed and respectful to the pitchers.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Kevin O'Leary is a shitbag, and not nearly as intelligent as he thinks he is. (I still remember wanting to throw shit at the TV while he was wasting time making some poor entrepreneur sit through some tortured metaphor about Persephone, a Greek goddess whose name he didn't know how to pronounce. (Kept calling her purse-a-phone.))

I like the rest of them, though - especially Daymond and Barbara, who tend to be the most level-headed and respectful to the pitchers.
From what I've read, he hit the jackpot when Mattel bought his company and waaaaay overpaid for it. Whether they overpaid because of O'Leary's salesmanship or his accounting practices, I don't know.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Actually several of them just got lucky when they got rich. Mark Cuban, for instance, got rich when he sold Broadcast.com to Yahoo! for something like $5 billion.

BTW, there have been a couple of instances on the show where the male sharks basically steamrolled over the female sharks, Lori Greiner and Barbara Corcoran. I think one of those two got really mad once and may have stormed off set.

And I hate it when the entrepreneur/contestant starts his/her pitch with some sort of sob story (about a dead parent or some such thing), talks up their military experience or brings out small children to assist in the pitch.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:20 PM

I have to wonder why Robert even does the show anymore. He makes offers on very few deals and is seldom taken up on them, oftentimes getting steamrolled by Cuban. While I am sure Cuban is a smart, hard-working guy, he's also an arrogant bully (but not as much of one as Kevin.) Robert seems like a pretty smart guy and not as much of a showman as some of the others, and I think that is what kicks him in the nuts. Or, maybe he just doesn't want the volume of deals that the other sharks have.

On each show, I swear 50% of the entrepreneurs are really just there to get exposure for their product. I'd love to see an analysis of what happens to the folks who land a shark vs the ones who don't.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoe View Post
On each show, I swear 50% of the entrepreneurs are really just there to get exposure for their product. I'd love to see an analysis of what happens to the folks who land a shark vs the ones who don't.
I agree, the exposure is the only thing many of the entrepreneurs are after, but it ain't free; just to get on the show they have to give ABC a percentage of their company (I believe it's 5%), whether they make a deal with the sharks or not. Seems like a pretty good deal for them (ABC). I get really annoyed with these people; you've been in business 10 years, your company is taking in millions already, and you want $125,000 for 3%? You're so obviously not here for a deal.

And am I the only one who prefers to see the failures rather than the deals? I don't care about the great ideas, I just want to see the sharks shred someone's moronic idea (fake cell phone?!) and point out all of the obvious mistakes they've made. If I want to see people give and take constructive criticism in a positive, respectful manner I'll watch The Profit.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
The Sharks are aware of that phenomenon, which is one reason they sometimes pile on a guy who is hesitant on a deal as good or better than what they asked for.

I enjoy the show. Idle Thoughts or others, if you want a slightly gentler version you can try the show it was based on: Dragons Den. There's the U.K. original and the Canadian version that both Robert and O'Leary were on.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

A couple of months ago, BBC America was airing several episodes of Dragons Den (the UK version) on Saturday mornings. What immediately jumped out at me was that the investors on that show were much more serious than the ones on the US show, who far too often shown to be having fun. And the UK investors were absolutely merciless in ripping proposals to shreds. The one I remember the most was a Scottish woman whose company made food from seaweed, although I'm not able to find it on YouTube.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 PM
"Superstar"

I LOVE Shark Tank.

I love this show. Regardless how silly an idea may be, I'm always impressed when someone can take and idea an turn it into an actual product. Even if it didn't sell well, it's still and impressive feat.

Last edited by IvoryTowerDenizen; 05-19-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:49 PM

Interesting that you bring this up, I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My best friend loves it, and I was visiting him, so we watched a few episodes. I hated all of those people. I didn't enjoy it, I think it reminded me too much of work (I am a finance person).

I do like reality TV though. I love everything HGTV. I used to watch a lot of true crime shows, but I seem to have gone off those. I adored American Idol, but have never warmed up to The Voice. I hear Idol is coming back, I am pleased about that.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:35 AM

We love watching Shark Tank, Mrs. Bullitt and I. I bought a coco jack and it works great. Oh and Lori Greiner's curves sure are easy on the eyes too.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I'd love to see an analysis of what happens to the folks who land a shark vs the ones who don't.
That's why we enjoy watching the old ones rather than the recent ones; after each presentation we go to this blog and see what happened to the product. Interesting stuff!
Old 05-20-2017, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Love the show. Love the fact I remember when the Uber guys were on, and me saying to the Sharks: "You guys are crazy!"

I also love that there is a Tom & Chee right down the road from me.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedo View Post
Did you see him on Jeopardy!? The worst celebrity performance since Wolf Blitzer!
Old 05-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Love the show. Love the fact I remember when the Uber guys were on, and me saying to the Sharks: "You guys are crazy!"
What Uber guys were on? Are you saying the guys who founded Uber pitched their idea on this show? Because I don't remember that.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Fun show. My wife watches the shit out of it. Robert is by far my favorite shark.

Last edited by pulykamell; 05-20-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:36 PM

I went through a phase of watching Shark Tank on whatever channel the repeats are on. So far I've bought and been really happy with the Better Life cleaning products I first saw on the show.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Did you see him on Jeopardy!? The worst celebrity performance since Wolf Blitzer!
I did not see that, but I am heartily gratified to hear he ate it. Wolf's performance was legendary.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
What Uber guys were on? Are you saying the guys who founded Uber pitched their idea on this show? Because I don't remember that.
Yeah, never mind, it was an interview I saw. I'm remembering it wrong.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrr! View Post
Yeah, never mind, it was an interview I saw. I'm remembering it wrong.
One of the sharks, the guy who sits on the opposite end of Mark Cuban where Robert usually sits, was an early Uber investor, and he tends to bring it up at some point whenever he's on the show.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

That would be Chris Sacca.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:46 PM

I'd been aware of the show, but had never seen an episode or really felt interested in the concept until a month or two ago when I stumbled across a repeat on CNBC. They air 3- or 4-episode blocks Mon-Thu evenings, and one night when I was surfing the channel guide I decided to check it out. I didn't expect to like it, but I was immediately hooked! I haven't bought anything yet, but I'm tempted to get a Lumio (or two). Now I watch an episode or two once or twice a week.

I'm OK with the different shark personalities, but what I don't like is when someone offers a deal that's only good if it's accepted immediately. If you're offering the best deal you won't mind a little competition! If I were an entrepreneur on that show I'd have to turn down any offer with that condition just on principle.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:26 AM

I used to be a pretty big fan of this show, mainly because a show about honest, hard-working Americans trying to make the world a better place and make a lot of money in the process was an incredibly refreshing change from the usual reality TV fare. Unfortunately, the contrivedness of the "arguing", including some real howlers that no halfway intelligent negotiator could ever get away with, eventually drove me away. I still catch an occasional episode, but at this point I find The Profit more entertaining and more realistic.

The true value of the show, I think, is informing us of a variety of unusual or specialty products. Even if the company doesn't make a deal or goes bust, we can still look of lots of stuff we didn't even know existed before. I'd love a quality ratchet belt, and you can bet that I'd give Tom 'n Chee a try.

Dewey Finn - Never liked "You're dead to me". Cheesy and has zero impact coming from a pudgy guy in a suit. A simple "Nice knowin' ya", "Not today, kiddo", "Too bad, so sad," or even "Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out" would work better.

crazyjoe - Hey, every show needs a straight man. I get the feeling that he's there to fill a role and knows it, and any deals he makes are just gravy.

As for what happens after landing or not landing a deal, ABC briefly had something called "Beyond The Tank" which explored just that, but I haven't seen any new episodes in over a year. The thing you always gotta remember is that nothing is official until there is a contract on paper signed by both parties, and until that happens, either party can renegotiate, ask questions, delay, or pull out at any time. There were several instances where a Shark saw the operation and decided it wasn't worth it, or there were other controlling interests within the company who didn't like the terms and shot the deal down. One owner killed a deal after outright admitting that he only went on the show for the publicity.

DCnDC - Didn't ABC do away with the 2% ownership or 5% of profits or whatever it was? I remember Cuban being against it. That sounds like a damn high price for some publicity. I'm pretty sure more than a few entrepreneurs think of this like American Idol; they just want to say that they did it. Not to mention getting real-world experience delivering a pitch and negotiating in front of a national TV audience.

Misnomer - Yeah, hate that. Putting on the pressure and demanding that someone make a decision RIGHT NOW is what scam artists do. I know exactly where Cuban can cram his 24-second clock.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
A couple of months ago, BBC America was airing several episodes of Dragons Den (the UK version) on Saturday mornings. What immediately jumped out at me was that the investors on that show were much more serious than the ones on the US show, who far too often shown to be having fun. And the UK investors were absolutely merciless in ripping proposals to shreds. The one I remember the most was a Scottish woman whose company made food from seaweed, although I'm not able to find it on YouTube.
I like the Canadian version better, partially because the dragons do get silly from time to time. The set looks like some cheap abandoned warehouse; everything has this very low key vibe.
Also, the dragons aren't horrible to each other (or the supplicants) the way the sharks are. They're polite. They let the entrepreneurs hear everyone's offer before they get backed into a corner. They go in on investments together all the time rather than forcing a stupid choice. It's just a much better feeling show.
The shark tank just seems unnecessarily nasty to me.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I have to wonder why Robert even does the show anymore. He makes offers on very few deals and is seldom taken up on them, oftentimes getting steamrolled by Cuban. While I am sure Cuban is a smart, hard-working guy, he's also an arrogant bully (but not as much of one as Kevin.) Robert seems like a pretty smart guy and not as much of a showman as some of the others, and I think that is what kicks him in the nuts. Or, maybe he just doesn't want the volume of deals that the other sharks have.
There was a site at one point with statistics on how many deals work out, and one really glaring statistic is that Robert had by far the lowest percentage of deals that went from 'took the deal on air' to 'actually signed an agreement'. Apparently he nixes a lot of deals when they sit down and look at the hard numbers. I presume the people going on the show do some research on the sharks, so they know this, and it probably makes people more hesitant to take a Robert deal because he's likely to back out between the filming and the signing.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
There was a site at one point with statistics on how many deals work out, and one really glaring statistic is that Robert had by far the lowest percentage of deals that went from 'took the deal on air' to 'actually signed an agreement'. Apparently he nixes a lot of deals when they sit down and look at the hard numbers. I presume the people going on the show do some research on the sharks, so they know this, and it probably makes people more hesitant to take a Robert deal because he's likely to back out between the filming and the signing.
According to this article (note: Forbes), Kevin makes the fewest deals by far, and with the exception of Cuban, they ALL back out of a troublingly high percentage of their on-air handshake deals.

But I can't really blame them. You don't get rich and/or stay rich by making bad deals, and while I believe they do talk to the hopeful entrepreneurs for much longer than what we are shown on TV, there's only so much information you can get from that sort of forum, and I'd imagine things can rapidly go sideways once they actually sit down with lawyers and accountants and papers and other serious-business-stuff.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantastic View Post
Yeah, I guess I would do my research on this as well and be prepared for that. But of all the Sharks, he strikes me as the smartest. He might not be as salesy as some of the other sharks, but given his business (data/electronic security) I assume caution and due diligence are a big thing for him. If I were going on the show without a niche (obviously Daymond for fashion or Lori for stupid shitty QVC products) I'd definitely be targeting Robert as a partner and I'd have the numbers to sell it to him.

But that could be because I feel some kinship toward him. Data is my business as well, and I hate seeing people leave it unsecured or use it foolishly.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
Misnomer - Yeah, hate that. Putting on the pressure and demanding that someone make a decision RIGHT NOW is what scam artists do. I know exactly where Cuban can cram his 24-second clock.
Funny, I haven't seen it from Cuban yet...most recently it was Barbara Corcoran, but I feel like I see it most often from Kevin O'Leary. I think I might have even seen it once from Daymond John. (Keep in mind, though, that even though I'm now watching a few episodes a week I haven't been watching for very long; and, I'm still only watching old episodes.)
Old 05-25-2017, 01:12 AM

I used to watch the original concept show "Mane no Tora: NO CHALLENGE, NO SUCCESS" (YouTube) from Japan in the early 2000's.

Many years later, I'm watching:
"Dragon's Den" (UK)
"Shark Tank" (US)
"Dragon's Den" (Canada)
"Shark Tank" (Australia)

But I prefer Marcus Lemonis in "The Profit" much more.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

I love watching Robert's reaction whenever someone brings a dog into the Tank.

I do prefer the more serious tone of "Dragon's Den" (UK), although the rare occasions when a complete moron enters the tank are amusing. Didn't understand why Duncan Bannatyne got so grouchy toward the end of his run though.

"The Profit" is probably my favorite though.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:04 PM

SWMBO is into Shark Tank big time. I watch it every once in a while and secretly lust after Lori Greiner.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:17 AM

Well, I bought my first Shark Tank product over the weekend: not the Lumio, as I expected, but a Comfort Click belt. I've been losing weight, and right now my "fat person" belt is a little too big while regular-sized belts are still a little too small. I liked the idea of something more adjustable that still looks dressy. The box makes it clear that the belt and the buckle are provided separately, and I should have taken it out of the box before this morning: I couldn't quickly figure out how to attach the buckle, and there don't seem to be any instructions, so I haven't tried it yet. I'll play with it when I get home.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKW View Post
DCnDC - Didn't ABC do away with the 2% ownership or 5% of profits or whatever it was? I remember Cuban being against it. That sounds like a damn high price for some publicity. I'm pretty sure more than a few entrepreneurs think of this like American Idol; they just want to say that they did it. Not to mention getting real-world experience delivering a pitch and negotiating in front of a national TV audience.
Sorry I didn't see your comment until now.

After a bit of research it would appear you are correct. Cuban threatened to not return to the show if they didn't stop that. And to correct myself, the equity went to the show's production company, not to ABC.

https://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/ma...ty-clause.html

As by far the richest person on the panel, he threw his weight around and got it his way, and in this case I think it was a net positive for everyone. It also goes a long way in explaining his willingness to make and actually close a much, much higher percentage of deals than anyone else.