Old 06-02-2017, 12:24 PM

I keep the Tolkien books in regular rotation, and also periodically re-read childhood fav, Norman Juster's "The Phantom Tollbooth". I read TH White's Arthurian saga, "The Once and Future King" on the regular, too.

Every 5 years or so, I read Andrew Lang's books of Fairy Tales.

I don't do much re-reading, though. There are simply too many new titles on my "to be read" list that I am eager to get to.
Advertisements  
Old 06-04-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
I once spent a weekend reading Into Thin Air six times.
I first read "Into Thin Air" one July while sitting on a beach in the Outer Banks. I had get up every now and then and walk around - I was literally getting chills despite the fact it was 90+ degrees and a heat wave...

I first read "Devil in the White City" (Erik Larson) on an overseas flight - got to the end, read all the footnotes, and flipped right back to the first page.

During my junior year in college, I read "Salem's Lot" and "The Shining" in single sittings...in both cases, I tried to go to sleep - I was tired! - but in both cases, my mind raced and I just had to get up and keep reading...
Old 06-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
Me, too. In fact, I love - and frequently reread - all of her "World of the Five Gods" works. The religion is, as you noted, fascinating - one reviewer called them works of "speculative theology". The last novel, about Penric and Desdemona, she seems to be writing as a series of novellas. The first three, Penric's Demon, Penric and the Shaman, and Penric's Mission can be read as standalones; but the next one, Mira's Last Dance, not only flows directly from the event's of Penric's Mission, but ends on a cliffhanger. I suspect that is when she realized she's writing a serialized novel. I can't wait for the next installment.

Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga is also fantastic. She has the gift of writing believable, fleshed out male characters, as well as female. As well as a nice touch of humor.

A series that I periodically return to again and again - for no reason I could easily describe - is William Gibson's post-cyberpunk "Bigend" trilogy - Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, and Zero History. Interesting stories and compelling characters - I especially like Hollis Henry, Fiona, and Milgrim - but there's something about the flow of Gibson's prose that is both soothing and quietly compelling.
Bujold's Vorkosigan series - and her lesser-known Wide Green World (Sharing Knife) series. I have them all on my Kindle. They are my escape when there's anything stressful going on.

The Chalion / Five Gods books are good but not as rereadable to me (though I have read them all twice).

BTW, there's a new Penric novella (Mira's Dance) that I've got queued up for vacation in a couple weeks.

And.... Harry Potter, of course. I'm finally getting back to the French version that I made it 2/3 of the way through before forgetting about it.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stainless Steel Rat View Post
For single books, The Martian by Andy Wier si one I read every 8-10 months, and still can't put it down until I'm finished.

For series it's Eric Flint's (and many co-authors) Ring of Fire books, I can pick almost anyone off the shelf and enjoy re-reading it (re-reading the short story collection "Ring of Fire II" right now).

And every December I re-read all 11 (to date) volumes of the collected "Schlock Mercenary" web comic...and then read the follow-on 3-4 volumes not in book form on the web.
Well since you like Baen stuff:
http://ebooks.thefifthimperium.com/

Baen periodically releases CDs of bunches of their older stuff. That site has the CD files zipped up. Many of the Ring of Fire books are included.

The CDs themselves all say "may distribute but do not charge money" or something like that, and Baen knows about the site. They used to actually have the CD contents up there as clickable stuff where you could download individual books, but Baen asked them to stop doing that. Bujold's Vorkosigan CD (that came with Cryoburn) used to be there but I gather she asked that they take it down.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:07 PM

Nive and Pournelle did that to me twice -- first Lucifer's Hammer, and then Footfall. Kept me up both times until about two hours before I was due to get up to go to work.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:54 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I have always meant to look into Krakauer's other books but just never have. I read 'The Hobbit' as a teen and enjoyed it. My folks bought me the other three books for christmas. I have never read them. They are old and yellow now, I am not sure they would stand up to a physical reading at this point. I am pleased that I even know of the authors mentioned here and more pleased that I have read some of them.

I don't re-read books though, I am always looking for new (to me) authors. Thank you all for the input.

This place rocks!
Old 06-10-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeather View Post
Unto.
Sorry, yes, of course. Still lost on the mostly 20-somethings.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:56 AM

I do not re-read books.

Except for Lord of the Rings. I've read those about six times.

I'm only 4 books into the Vorkosigan saga, and trying to take it slow.

Because I do not re-read books.