Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2017, 04:49 AM
Loyuod Loyuod is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 25
How to prevent water drop marks forming on car windows?

When I picked up my second hand car it had very hard to remove water drop marks all over the windows. The only way I could remove these was to go over the glass a few times with a compound on a random orbital polisher.

However it seems that in as little as a few weeks more water marks are being left after a weekly wash &/or from sitting in rain, & they won't come off with straight alcohol or vinegar etc, only another lite polish was the only way.

So far its winter & not much intense sunlight & my car isn't garaged & I don't bother drying off the water after each wash as its out in the rain.

So I'm looking at how to prevent these water marks from forming?

Are there ways to achieve this without a sealant coat?
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 06-15-2017, 08:55 AM
BubbaDog BubbaDog is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: KC MO or there abouts
Posts: 5,444
You ruled out a sealant coat.

I was going to suggest Rainex or other similar treatment. I apply some with a cotton clothe or paper towel every other month. Takes about 5 minutes to put on.
  #3  
Old 06-15-2017, 09:13 AM
Morgenstern Morgenstern is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 9,439
You may have to pay to have someone use a clay bar on your car if you want to restore the paint. Hard water deposits can be a pain in the butt to remove.
  #4  
Old 06-15-2017, 09:38 AM
enipla enipla is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 11,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyuod View Post
to go over the glass a few times with a compound on a random orbital polisher.
Um what? Never heard of doing that. I would suspect that such action would inflict micro scratches in the glass and make it harder to clean in the future.
  #5  
Old 06-15-2017, 10:14 AM
FluffyBob FluffyBob is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,133
Polishing the glass sounds , well a little obsessive to me. Like empla says it is going to alter the actual surface of the glass, probably not for the better. I would not be surprised if there are coatings that you really don't want to remove either.

Plain old white vinegar should remove hard water stains effectively. You say 'drops', could it be dried sap from trees or shrubs? That can be a real problem under some tress, especially when there is an aphid problem. Sap can be very difficult to remove without mineral spirits.

Waxing is the traditional method of protecting car paint.
  #6  
Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM
MikeF MikeF is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,161
I have the same problem. A friend of mine had a detailing business and he gave me some sort of acid that you spray on, wipe around, and rinse after about 30 seconds. I haven't tried it yet and believe its not available to the general public but maybe a good detailer could take care of this for you?
  #7  
Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 AM
Max Torque Max Torque is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 10,306
I have yet to encounter anything, other than a scratch or penetrating discoloration, that can't be removed from glass with a razor blade scraper. If there are only a few spots, it should take just a couple seconds. Don't use a razor scraper on your painted areas, though.
  #8  
Old 06-16-2017, 04:52 PM
Bones Daley Bones Daley is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 364
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D05vX-G9iV4
  #9  
Old 06-16-2017, 05:57 PM
smithsb smithsb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: mid-Pacific
Posts: 2,415
#0000 steel wool [4 aughts]. Detailers use this. You may have already screwed up with the orbital and compound though.

Oops, you asked about forming the drops. Park in a garage or use a good car cover.

Last edited by smithsb; 06-16-2017 at 05:58 PM.
  #10  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:37 PM
GMANCANADA GMANCANADA is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 77
I second smithsb - while in school I worked in a auto paint shop part time and we cleaned all car windows all the time with superfine steel wool. That removed all surface marks without damaging the glass.

Also, as Bubbadog notes, Rainex works amazing. I'm a big believer too. The water literally blows off the glass while you drive. I've driven in heavy rainstorms on the highway with no wipers because the water was being blown off the windshield so quickly. (The wipers smeared the water and made it harder to see). Works even better for night driving.

As a last resort, if it is mineralization residue from water drops as the OP thinks, I'd suggest trying Tilex shower cleaner or something similar that is designed to remove that residue from glass showers walls. Spray it on and let it sit for a minute then wipe off.
  #11  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:59 PM
anomalous1 anomalous1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 746
Dawn Dish Soap diluted in water. Cleans the windows so well you will not notice they are there.I have the same issue and have been doing this for a while, it takes them right out, 99% streak free. For the remaining 1% just go over the window again with a dry microfiber, perfect.

Tips:
- Avoid Paper towels for cleaning the windows.
- Use Microfiber towels that DO NOT have fabric softener on them (wash them with soap only and dry them without dryer sheets), If you do it will leave the windows covered in streaks.
- Put about a capful of Dawn in a clean spray bottle with some water (add a drop of vinegar if you have hard water).

Trust me this will work!
  #12  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 AM
Loyuod Loyuod is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyBob View Post
Polishing the glass sounds , well a little obsessive to me. Like empla says it is going to alter the actual surface of the glass, probably not for the better. I would not be surprised if there are coatings that you really don't want to remove either.

Plain old white vinegar should remove hard water stains effectively. You say 'drops', could it be dried sap from trees or shrubs? That can be a real problem under some tress, especially when there is an aphid problem. Sap can be very difficult to remove without mineral spirits.

Waxing is the traditional method of protecting car paint.
Not at all. As I said the water spots left from the previous owner were very hard to remove.

I doubt it will alter the glass as it's very hard. There is no visible scratches at all from the compounding. I can't see there being coatings on the outside of the glass as they would wear away probably.

The whole vinegar removal is a myth. I have tried & it does nothing. On my new recent water spots however a lite rub with dry finger gets the spots off. It is the abrasive action that removes them not chemical. Well maybe there is some acid product.

These are hard water spots.

Last edited by Loyuod; 06-20-2017 at 03:50 AM.
  #13  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:52 AM
Loyuod Loyuod is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsb View Post
#0000 steel wool [4 aughts]. Detailers use this. You may have already screwed up with the orbital and compound though.

Oops, you asked about forming the drops. Park in a garage or use a good car cover.
Id say 0000steel wool is worse than the compound I was using. By orbital sander I meant D/A polisher with a foam pad. Sorry I should have been more clear.
  #14  
Old 06-20-2017, 03:53 AM
Loyuod Loyuod is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
I second smithsb - while in school I worked in a auto paint shop part time and we cleaned all car windows all the time with superfine steel wool. That removed all surface marks without damaging the glass.

Also, as Bubbadog notes, Rainex works amazing. I'm a big believer too. The water literally blows off the glass while you drive. I've driven in heavy rainstorms on the highway with no wipers because the water was being blown off the windshield so quickly. (The wipers smeared the water and made it harder to see). Works even better for night driving.

As a last resort, if it is mineralization residue from water drops as the OP thinks, I'd suggest trying Tilex shower cleaner or something similar that is designed to remove that residue from glass showers walls. Spray it on and let it sit for a minute then wipe off.
Do you know if the RainX is any different than a typical LSP wax coat? RainX looks too thin & doesn't look to last long.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017