Old 06-04-2017, 07:27 PM

What's a good adult height for a man?

We are facing a situation where we may essentially be selecting our son's height.

Here's what is going on. He is right now 10 years, and 8 months, and 5'2, which is over the 100th percentile for that age. His projected height is 6'7, although his father had an unusual growth pattern, and was always very tall as a child, but ended up being "only" 6'2. We are having the boychik tested with hand x-rays to get a better idea of his final adult height.

He has been going into precocious puberty.

This could stop his growth, but we can't be sure by how much. He could end up being 5'6 or 5'7. I don't want to say there's anything wrong with that, but there are other problems with precocious puberty, and we will have to make a decision as to whether to stop it.

The irony is, when he was first projected to be really tall, his doctor said that is we wanted him to be a little shorter, one remedy was to start puberty early (he meant at like, 12 & 1/2, as opposed to 14, not at 10).

If we postpone puberty for a couple of years, then he will probably end up being 5'11-6'0, which to me is an ideal height for a man. Very tall men can have health problems, and short men can face social issues-- not that 5'7 is terribly short, but a miscalculation could make him even shorter than that.

I have dated men of all different heights, including one who was shorter than I was, but I know that some women think the man has to be taller. I don't want my son to come to me when he's 5'6 and got rejected by a woman who was 5'7, and ask "Why did you do this to me?"

On the other hand, I really don't want him to be 6'7, and have health problems.

My feeling right now is to delay puberty just long enough to let him grow to right around 6'0. My husband thinks that whatever height he's biologically destined to be, we should let him grow to be, even if it's 6'7.

Has anyone else dealt with this? What did you do?

More importantly, did you involve your son in the decision? We both at least agree that we are going to tell are son what is going on. Ultimately, if the doctor says that one thing or another is in his best interests, we will probably go with that, but we will give a lot of weight to what our son wants. He is pretty thoughtful and rational for his age.

Would other people who are parents involve your child in this, or would you just make the decision for him?
Advertisements  
Old 06-04-2017, 07:31 PM

Bigger is not necessarily better... There are health issues that come with height.

Also, it is literally true that "the bigger they are, the harder they fall."

I hope you can work out a balanced health-care plan taking all factors into account -- as I'm sure you're striving to do. Good luck to you all.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 PM

I understand your concern as a parent, but IMHO you are overthinking this. While a "projected height" of 6' 7" is pretty tall, in and of itself it by no means guarantees health problems, like you seem to fear. Unless your son has been diagnosed with a pathological condition, which it sounds like he has not, there is nothing to treat, and moreover the probability he will even grow that tall is quite small (cf his father). I would not be so casual about hormonal intervention.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:08 PM

I would agree with your husband. I don't think that 6' is considered tall anymore. Lots of boys and some of the girls in high school are 6' 2" and up.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

What's a good adult height for a man?

I don't understand. Are the doctors recommending halting his growth as a medical necessity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I don't want my son to come to me when he's 5'6 and got rejected by a woman who was 5'7, and ask "Why did you do this to me?"

Reading this sentence makes me angry with you and your son, and makes me feel sympathy for a certain trans-phobic member of this board. None of us had the option of choosing to be taller in order to be more attractive to women, so he shouldn't either, so I will refrain from commenting further.

Last edited by Acsenray; 06-04-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I don't understand. Are the doctors recommending halting his growth as a medical necessity?

Reading this sentence makes me angry with you and your son, and makes me feel sympathy for a certain trans-phobic member of this board. None of us had the option of choosing to be taller in order to be more attractive to women, so he shouldn't either, so I will refrain from commenting further.
Don't be angry with my son. He never said that. I'm just trying to project every possible outcome.

Actually, the sports he likes are baseball and soccer, and he doesn't like basketball at all, because he is sick of people asking him if he plays it. Maybe he'll choose to be a little shorter. He wants to play infield, but the taller players always get sent to outfield. He would love to play first base or shortstop.

ETA: His growth will halt if he goes through precocious puberty, although we don't know by how much. Since he is five two now, and will probably grow four-five inches if we do not halt the puberty, he will be 5'6, 5'7-- unless somehow genes will out, and he still manages to be 5'10 or something.

Last edited by RivkahChaya; 06-04-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:34 PM

There must be more to this story than I am following here or that you've provided. A projected height of 6'7 isn't so tall as to justify screwing with liberty and hormones in my opinion. I know a lot of kids who were six feet tall in middle school and didn't grow a lick. I also know some who grew a foot or more in high school.

Unless there are health issues or he would be outside of what is considered "normal" ( maybe 5'5 to 7'0) why mess with it?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Don't be angry with my son. He never said that. I'm just trying to project every possible outcome.

Actually, the sports he likes are baseball and soccer, and he doesn't like basketball at all, because he is sick of people asking him if he plays it. Maybe he'll choose to be a little shorter. He wants to play infield, but the taller players always get sent to outfield. He would love to play first base or shortstop.

ETA: His growth will halt if he goes through precocious puberty, although we don't know by how much. Since he is five two now, and will probably grow four-five inches if we do not halt the puberty, he will be 5'6, 5'7-- unless somehow genes will out, and he still manages to be 5'10 or something.
Maybe he'll choose to be shorter? You have a designer baby/child?
Old 06-04-2017, 08:47 PM

I'm just over 6'. I think height has several advantages for males and I wouldn't have minded a couple more inches.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Maybe in Little League but when you get to college or pros you play where you are needed and where you can have the most impact. Cal Ripken was 6'4"and considered a freak when he first came up as a shortstop. The norm was just shy of 6 feet. He became one of the five or ten best shortstops to ever play the game and changed the standards for what a shortstop looked like. When you get professional coaching everything changes. Most pro ballplayers played shortstop and pitched in HS. About the only ones who don't regularly get moved around are catchers. You can play outfield all your life and find yourself at 2nd base two weeks into your college career.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:53 PM

Sorry but I am very confused by your op.

When did he start puberty? If he is recently started then he is not in precocious puberty. Even calling before 9 (the official criteria) is a stretch nowadays (it is commonly starting earlier than it used to, which was, on average, 11 1/2 to 12).

I am assuming that when you say his "projected height is 6'7" you are meaning following along the curve from where he is now. (Although even that by my look at the curves come more to 6'4 not 6'7.) But if he is in puberty on the early side he won't hit that, even if you immediately tried to stop it (which would generally not be advised).

And unless he is quite far along in puberty (like most of the way through) he won't be "only" 5'6 or 7 (which in my family we call "on the taller side" thank you very much! ) Odds are he's about two years ahead of average in puberty and will thus have a bone age of about 12 3/4 (give or take 6 months) predicting an adult height somewhat close to Dad's height.

How tall are you? The best bet projection remains to take your height and add 5 inches to it and place his expected height to be somewhere between that number and Dad's height.

A doctor suggested considering starting puberty early to make him less tall?/ That is waay outside of standard of care and for very good reason.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

I would not worry about it much. I am just short of 6' 2" and it mostly an advantage. I don't know what it means in terms of human psychology but people truly respond well to taller males. Of course he will get the typical and weather up there jokes but it is will be mostly advantageous. I work with a few people that make me feel tiny and they all make a shit-ton of money mostly for being huge.

I worked with someone that was over 6' 8" once. He was well respected even though he didn't do that much. The biggest problem he had was fitting into cars so he bought a pickup truck with a high cab. Problem solved. Height is rarely a problem in the short to medium term.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 06-04-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

I'm trying and failing to come up with any conceivable interpretation for "over the 100th percentile".

To the question at hand: Your doctor might tell you which decision he deems healthiest, and your son can tell you what he'd prefer. No other opinions are relevant here, and certainly not ours.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:09 PM

I agree with your husband that you shouldn't mess with his system trying to achieve a "perfect" height.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post
And unless he is quite far along in puberty (like most of the way through) he won't be "only" 5'6 or 7 (which in my family we call "on the taller side" thank you very much! ) Odds are he's about two years ahead of average in puberty and will thus have a bone age of about 12 3/4 (give or take 6 months) predicting an adult height somewhat close to Dad's height.

How tall are you? The best bet projection remains to take your height and add 5 inches to it and place his expected height to be somewhere between that number and Dad's height.

A doctor suggested considering starting puberty early to make him less tall?/ That is waay outside of standard of care and for very good reason.
When he was three, he was enormous, and we were actually worried there was something wrong with him. We asked the doctor if that was possible, and he said he didn't think so, because he really wasn't that tall, no matter what he looked like to us (he grew 13 inches from age 1 to 3, and was very thin at that point, and was getting supplements), but she did a quick calculation based on his height at that point and said he could be as tall as 6'7, but that height wasn't abnormal. We only needed to worry if he kept gaining in the amount he grew each year. His growth did slow down, but he still kept making net gains over his peers. His school makes him take gym class with the kids a grade ahead, and he is still one of the biggest kids.

Anyway, the doctor made an off-hand comment that if there was ever anything to be concerned about, it was possible to stop his growth by putting him into puberty early.

I guess she meant if he was 6'4 in the 6th grade.

I don't know.

I'm just worried about my son.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Let me give you my opinion. I wouldn't do anything whatsoever and let your child progress on their own growth rate. Only time can tell if that will end up being 5'9" or 6'7". It doesn't really matter. The only thing I ask for medical professionals that deal with kids is to make sure they actually know what they are talking about. Lots of them don't and the decisions can be irreversible.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:18 PM

My best friend in junior/senior high school was 6'3" at the start of 7th grade. That's where he topped out. He was also skinny as a rail and could eat 3 Big Macs for lunch every day and never gain an ounce.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 06-04-2017 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I'm trying and failing to come up with any conceivable interpretation for "over the 100th percentile".

To the question at hand: Your doctor might tell you which decision he deems healthiest, and your son can tell you what he'd prefer. No other opinions are relevant here, and certainly not ours.
Oh c'mon, you know it means she saw the chart with the curves and he's above the top line. That's how lots of typical people interpret those curves. The top line is of course not 100%, or even 99%ile ... it is the 95%ile. Since she's given his age and height I can easily tell you his actual percentile - he's at the 98%ile for chronological age. If my guess that his bone age is about 12 3/4 then he's at somewhere near the 75%ile for bone age, which again would predict an adult height of about 6' ... just a bit shorter than dad and near what mom thinks is ideal. Not written in stone even with a bone age but pretty likely pretty close (and if mom is roughly 5'6 then we'd have multiple prediction methods that converge, giving greater confidence). Stage of puberty can be used to make the prediction as well.

Not your pediatrician of course but nevertheless RivkahChaya this is nothing to worry about. There should be zero consideration to stopping puberty based on height considerations.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:52 PM

I really doubt that your son would get rejected b/c of his height , I seen couple of were the woman is taller than the man . My dad was 5' 11 " tall and I thought that was good height , mom was 5' 2" so this made dad looks taller. So I say
my dad height is a decent height for a man and as long you don't made a big issue about son height he should be find he if he not 6ft tall. Have you asked your son how tall he would like to be ?
Old 06-04-2017, 10:02 PM

Tall is good, in general, but after 6' 2", the disadvantages start to outweigh the advantages. Unless you are an NBA player.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:02 PM

Just let him grow. The advantages of letting him grow to be tall, even too tall, outweigh the risks or drawbacks.

The worst thing you could do is overcorrect and leave him, say, 5'4 tall. That would be almost unforgivable for a man.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anyway, the doctor made an off-hand comment that if there was ever anything to be concerned about, it was possible to stop his growth by putting him into puberty early.
HAS the doctor said there's something to be concerned about? That's all that matters.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:23 PM

I think if you polled all men, something like 80% would like to be taller, 18% are fine with their height, and 2% want to be shorter.

Your kid isn't the "average man", but I'd err on the side of being tall.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
Bigger is not necessarily better... There are health issues that come with height.

I hope you can work out a balanced health-care plan taking all factors into account -- as I'm sure you're striving to do. Good luck to you all.
Remember the old saying, "the bigger they are, the harder they hit."
Old 06-04-2017, 10:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:

It is often literally true that the bigger they are the harder they hit you.

LOL

Health issues also don't always come with height. It is rather, a case by case basis.

And even then, your maxim is only true, and then just partially true, with extreme height. Such as, say, over 6-4 or so.

And even then, I'd guess that negative orthopedic issues only follow in perhaps 20% or do of men that tall.

BTW...I am a taller guy and a physical therapist. So I know of what I speak.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky_Kong View Post
I think if you polled all men, something like 80% would like to be taller, 18% are fine with their height, and 2% want to be shorter.

Your kid isn't the "average man", but I'd err on the side of being tall.
Taking this out of this specific case ... how much would you put your male child through and how much would you be willing spend to move him from say the 25% (roughly just under 5'8) to just a bit over the 75%ile (about 6')?
Old 06-04-2017, 10:49 PM

So if I understand the concern correctly. he is going through precocious puberty now, and the ides is that in order to possibly achieve his original projected height would be chemically halt his puberty in order to allow him to continue to grow?

Or have I hopelessly misunderstood?

It sounds like if you do nothing to interfere, the concern is that he will not be as tall as if you halted puberty?
Old 06-04-2017, 11:03 PM

If your son doesn't have a treatable illness, leave him alone.

My son, at 19, is 5'5'. While it is possible he'll grow a little more (his puberty started late and clearly he's not done yet), short of a miracle (heh) he's going to be decidedly on the short side for American men.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit I wish he was a little taller, because I do think it could make things a bit easier for him overall, but it actually bothers me far less than I thought it would (we've known for a long time he'd probably be short, as he was very tiny as a toddler but his bone age study said he was growing normally).

On the romance front, who the hell wants their son to end up with a woman who is so superficial that she can't date a man shorter than she is? My son's long-time GF is great - she was taller than him for a little while and she liked that. He's now taller than she is and almost certainly she's achieved her full adult height. While she doesn't really care, she enjoys acting slightly put out by the fact she's no longer the taller/stronger person in the relationship. It's cute.

I realize you are more worried about "too tall" than "too short," but nonetheless I think there is a lesson here, and it's this: just accept your kid for who they are. Raise 'em right, add in a little luck, and you'll have a child you can proudly watch grow to adulthood - regardless of what exact form that adulthood takes.

Last edited by CairoCarol; 06-04-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:07 PM

You mentioned that there are other problems with precocious puberty, and that these have you considering putting a stop to it for some yet-to-be-determined amount of time. I think the negative reactions above are due to people not quite getting this part of the story.

What are the problems precocious puberty could cause? How important are they?

My sense is that hormonal intervention at this age often leads to unforeseen trouble. But then, it's mostly girls who are affected by it. I was 5'6" in the sixth grade, and wound up 5' 9.5" (female type). I had a friend (male type) who was 5' 5" when he left for college and came back 6' 1". You just never know, is what I'm saying.

So my advice is to leave the height out of the equation. Make the decision based upon the pros and cons of mucking about with his body's natural tendencies.

Oh, and one more thing, I used to play softball with a guy who was 7' tall. Perfectly normal guy in every other respect. He played short stop (cue laughter). NOTHING went out to left field unless it was a home run; he went to college on a baseball scholarship. He was great fun to hang with, and wondrously patient with people who couldn't stop talking about his height. He was also an engineer.

Last edited by TruCelt; 06-04-2017 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrdfd View Post
There must be more to this story than I am following here or that you've provided. A projected height of 6'7 isn't so tall as to justify screwing with liberty and hormones in my opinion. I know a lot of kids who were six feet tall in middle school and didn't grow a lick. I also know some who grew a foot or more in high school.

Unless there are health issues or he would be outside of what is considered "normal" ( maybe 5'5 to 7'0) why mess with it?
If it ain't broken....

I know a guy who had terrible experiences with hormonal treatments. That kind of shit will never be compensated by the ~4 inches less from his projected 7'3".

Risk/benefit says leave well enough alone.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

While I understand the social meme of taller is better for men and the notion that in a straight relationship the man should always be taller I've known quite a few men in my life that were under 5 foot 10 (my husband of 30 years was 5 foot 6) and a good half dozen shorter than 5 foot 3 me, and they all did fine. Sure, they dealt with some crap, and some superficial women who rejected them for their height, but they all dated, had relationships, most married, and long-term wasn't that big a deal. Then again, my husband's cousin who was 7 feet tall also dealt with a ton of crap around his height, from difficulty buying clothes to people picking fights with him.

Bottom line, people will always find a reason to criticize you or be biased. If your son is going to be anywhere within the normal height range leave well enough alone, and if he isn't, his overall health is more importan that how tall he is (or isn't).
Old 06-05-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
On the other hand, I really don't want him to be 6'7, and have health problems.
Quote:
I suspect the causation there may be backwards: is it that being tall causes health issues, or that some people are tall as a symptom of certain health issues, but because as a society we prefer taller, we don't call it a symptom?

I'd worry more about why is he going into puberty so early and about the secondary effects of both letting be and giving him hormones, than about the height.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:25 AM

I've got a good friend who is short, maybe 5'6" or so. He's a successful attorney, happily married and a wonderful father to a couple of boys who will also likely be short. They aren't concerned.

A neighbor from when I was growing up was probably 5'7" and had a bunch of children. Everyone was on the short side, but their family was so much better off than our normal family with stunted emotional growth.

Just be happy he is healthy and let him be who he is going to be.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoBayer View Post
I've got a good friend who is short, maybe 5'6" or so. He's a successful attorney, happily married and a wonderful father to a couple of boys who will also likely be short. They aren't concerned.

A neighbor from when I was growing up was probably 5'7" and had a bunch of children. Everyone was on the short side, but their family was so much better off than our normal family with stunted emotional growth.

Funny thread, it brought a thought up about the controversy with parents giving their kids puberty blockers.

What if your kids turns out to be a trans woman and prefers the traditionally feminine ideal height for a woman (less than 5ft 9in imo). Giviing him growth hormone would most likely make him very tall, strong and masculine which would destroy his chances of being girly.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I've got a good friend who is short, maybe 5'6" or so. He's a successful attorney, happily married and a wonderful father to a couple of boys who will also likely be short.

Was his spouse taller or shorter?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

FWIW I know there's speculation out there that a lot of Michael Jackson's physical and emotional problems might have started with a medicine intended to prevent acne that had the effect of interfering with his puberty.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:05 AM

RivkahChaya, is your husband's preference to delay puberty for longer than your preference? I wouldn't recommend delaying it past age 13-14 or so -- being a late bloomer in terms of puberty can be tough on a boy (socially), from my memory.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 06-05-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:16 AM

My daughter was over 95th percentile in height from the time she was born until 5th grade. Her pediatrician figured she'd end up being around 5'10". I'm 5'10", her dad is 6'2", supposedly my parents were 5'9" (mother) and 6'4" (father). Her dad's dad was 6'7". Her dad's mom is 5'1" on a good day. She stopped at 5'5", much to her dismay.

Just because a doctor predicts his height, doesn't mean that will happen.

And, truthfully, 6'7" isn't OVERLY tall, nowadays. It's not "look at that monster" height. Looking at my daughters' friend circle, all 23-24 years old, she has one female friend that is shorter than she is. The rest are between 5'6" - 6'3". She has a male friend who stands at 6'10" (and maybe 180 lbs, soaking wet). A height that previously was normal, 5'5", now makes her the runt of the litter.

Personally, I'd say let him attain his natural height.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:

A neighbor from when I was growing up was probably 5'7" ...
You make it sound like 5'6 to 7 is exceptionally short ... you do realize that about one out of ten adult American males is 5'6 or shorter? It is not an outlier height. 75% of adult American women are 5'6 or shorter. Pretty easy for us males in that 10%ile to find women who we look up to for their intellect and emotional strength but not literally.

OTOH I do admit that as a relatively shorter male I tended not to pursue women who were much taller than me. And I've known some taller women who have been frustrated that men shorter than them have that tendency. The problem there sometimes is not a woman's "superficiality" but the insecurity of males.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSeid View Post

OTOH I do admit that as a relatively shorter male I tended not to pursue women who were much taller than me. And I've known some taller women who have been frustrated that men shorter than them have that tendency. The problem there sometimes is not a woman's "superficiality" but the insecurity of males.
Not to go off topic but have you seen couples where the woman was:

1.) same height as man

2.) slightly taller than man

3.) significantly taller than man

I've yet to see such couples of number 1-3. Without the use of heels of course. I live in Ireland of course so it's still quite a conservative country,
Old 06-05-2017, 09:16 AM

Your doctor does not know how tall your son will end up being. Don't make decisions based on what the doctor says about his potential height.

There are dozens on 5-foot-plus boys your son's age in our small town (fewer than 15,000 people). It's a normal height for a boy his age. You say that he's in a gym class with older kids because of his height? Is he the only tall kid in his grade?

Which positions he gets to play in baseball depend mostly on two factors: does he throw and catch the ball well and is the coach any good. A bad coach will put kids in positions that are wrong for them. Tall kids don't get stuck in the outfield at that age simply because they are tall. Kids (short or tall) get stuck in the outfield because they aren't good enough to play in the infield, where it's dangerous for kids who can't catch the ball well. Every kid wants to play first base, but I won't put a kid at first base until he can catch a baseball that is thrown really fast. A bad coach will put a tall kid or a left-handed kid at first base because pro first basemen are often tall and left-handed. That kind of thinking shouldn't be applied until high school at the earliest. If your kid is stuck in the outfield it's because he's not a good player or the coach doesn't know how to coach young kids.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmejean View Post
Not to go off topic but have you seen couples where the woman was:

1.) same height as man

2.) slightly taller than man

3.) significantly taller than man

I've yet to see such couples of number 1-3. Without the use of heels of course. I live in Ireland of course so it's still quite a conservative country,
Yes I have seen all three. The last least commonly and I think more than for the obvious fact that statistically the average male is five inches taller than the average female.

That last is usually a male who is a quite confident individual.

I do suspect that many women would, everything else being equal, prefer a man several inches taller than her but not towering over her, and that many men are, everything else being equal, more comfortable with a woman who is not taller than he is.

Of course there is data but take it with the proverbial grain of salt.

This one is most intriguing ...
Quote:
... People also vary in preferences for sexual dimorphism in stature (SDS = male height/female height) between themselves and a potential partner. Here, we demonstrate that women adjust their preference for SDS not only in relation to their own height but also in relation to (1) the phase of menstrual cycle during which their preferences were studied and (2) the sexual strategy (short- versus long-term) they were asked to choose. Taller males (larger SDS) were preferred more often when women were in the follicular (i.e. fertile) phase of their menstrual cycle and when the partners were chosen for short-term relationships. These effects were independent of woman's height. ...
So according to that we shorter males are at a relative disadvantage in hooking up for a one-nighter but do just fine in the long term relationship competition.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 AM

I think I relate to your post here. In retrospect, I think I had something similar happen, though it was in the 70s and 80s, so no one really took much note. I certainly had precocious puberty as I have absolutely no recollection of ever going through puberty; every memory I have of childhood is post puberty. So, I must have gone through puberty at 6 or 7.

I'm 5'6" tall (on a good day) and I genuinely couldn't care less. Maybe that's not 100% true on some days. Maybe if I could take a pill one time and grow a few inches it would be worth it. But, if I had to remember to take the pill every week, or if the pill cost a few thousand dollars a year, I would just as soon say it's not worth it to me.
I think part of my outlook is that, somehow, I actually didn't notice that I was short until my early 20s. Somehow it never occurred to me until I was standing in a bar with four friends, and commented on how tall they all were, only to have one of them say, "Nah, man, you're just short!". Until that moment, I had no idea.

In retrospect, I dated girls who were taller than me and just never noticed. I'm sure it probably has put me at a disadvantage romantically, but I'm fine with my history there, and have been married to a woman about an inch shorter than me for almost two decades. She doesn't wear heels so that she doesn't end up taller than me, but I have encouraged her to wear whatever she wants as it wouldn't bother me at all.

I think maybe I'm at the lower limit. Maybe if I were 5'2" I would feel very differently. Probably would. But, at 5'6", I fit in coach seats in a pinch, and that's not nothing.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTake View Post
And, truthfully, 6'7" isn't OVERLY tall, nowadays.
This is not true. 6'7" is in the 99th percentile for 18 year old boys (and is a few inches into that percentile).
Old 06-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonwe View Post
This is not true. 6'7" is in the 99th percentile for 18 year old boys (and is a few inches into that percentile).
Then Minnesota is truly exceptional, as Garrison Keilor says, as I know at least a dozen guys, all between 6'6" - 6'10".
Old 06-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Then Minnesota is truly exceptional, as Garrison Keilor says, as I know at least a dozen guys, all between 6'6" - 6'10".

"Guys I know" is not a valid statistical sample.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
James Comey is 6'8" and he looks freakishly tall even among politicians, who skew tall. And, every article about him seems to mention his height. So, I think he is a notably tall man at 6'8".

One counter argument is actually that shorter men make less money. About 800 less per year per inch. Speaking from experience, it's also absolutely socially and even in the workplace (I've had our head of HR comment on my height) acceptable to comment about men's height.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:14 PM

If someone didn't want me because I'm 5'7" then I'm better off without them. I don't need that kind of shallow thinking in my life.

As to your son, unless they're thinking there is a health issue to correct, leave his system alone to develop naturally.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Either a lot of other posters are misunderstanding the OP or else I am. As I understand it, the OP is saying the following:
  • If the kid was going on this height trajectory but was not in early puberty, then his projected height would be 6'7".
  • If the kid continues on this trajectory but the early puberty is allowed to take its course with no intervention, then his projected height is about 5'6"-5'7".
The options therefore are:
  1. Delay puberty long enough for the kid to grow to the non-puberty impacted 6'7".
  2. Delay puberty long enough for the kid to grow to the "ideal" male height.
  3. Do nothing and allow the kid to grow to about 5'6"-5'7".

The OP can correct if this is wrong. (The one thing I don't understand about the above is that the 6'7" projection is apparently based on "current height if not in puberty", but the current height itself is presumably impacted by puberty, such that the 6'7" projection turns out to have had no basis at all.)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:09 PM

A man should be tall enough that his feet reach the ground, and his head reaches his hat.