Old 07-19-2017, 04:30 AM

Share your recurring dream

I keep having a dream about walking up these perfectly shaped concrete blocks on some structure on another planet, I look up when I get to the top and see two moons, one with some giant oil derrick thing on it and then I feel a really intense creeped out feeling and wake up. The atmosphere of the dream is gloomy, like the lighting during an eclipse and overcast skies, it feels like I am on an alien world or something, but its empty. I've had this many times over the years and always thought a movie or video game influenced it, but its not like any of them. Had it again recently. No big life changes or anything.

What are your strange recurring dreams?
Advertisements  
Old 07-19-2017, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

[Moderating]

Dreaming isn't really an art form, so this would work better in our IMHO forum. Moved.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

I find myself living in a HUGE house living with a bunch of spoiled college aged children that I absolutely hate.

And the guy that owns the house is a rich old man that couldn't care less about his spoiled rotten children.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:48 AM

I've had some recurring dreams that others have also had, such as taking a college course and not having studied enough or attended enough lectures for the final exam. But a recurring dream that's probably specific to me is where I'm at a campfire and I've forgotten to bring the marshmallows.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

If I have to go the bathroom IRL while sleeping, I dream about urinating in inappropriate places because I can't find an appropriate place. I even go into bathrooms and there are no toilets. Then I wake up and go to the bathroom.

I have a dream about enrolling in a college course and forgetting to go to class all semester and then realize I have to take a final (pleased to meet you EmilyG). I went to college 38 years ago and still have this dream. (However, I did once miss a final exam and failed the class as a result. I missed that the prof had changed the schedule for his class's final from the published finals schedule.)

I also have a recurring dream that I am in my house, except this is a dream-only house that I have never been in IRL. But I see the same house in multiple dreams.

Also this xkcd.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:46 PM

I often dream of being lost in

a shopping mall
a large office complex
a school campus

I walk around and around and recognize the different places I see but can't quite work out the correct turn / staircase / door to use.

I also have anxiety dreams about driving on the freeway. IRL I drive one every day and it doesn't faze me in the least but in my dream I can see it in the distance and I'm filled with dread.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:25 PM

I've had a regularly recurring theme of a dream of moving back to San Francisco pretty much ever since I moved back east from there. Several times a year I'll have a dream that I'm either about to move back to San Francisco or I've already moved back ... or sometimes both in the really epic dreams.

I don't remember my dreams very vividly anymore, except for these ones.

They're so hard to explain though. It's been over fifteen years since I lived there and the memory bank is a little withered, so even though I'm in San Francisco, it's always some strange compressed version of the city, like a video game set in San Francisco or something, hardly ever an exact duplicate except for specific places, things and times. The dream almost always features me moving into a new apartment on a long street on the top of a hill. It's pretty much an amalgam of every apartment I've ever lived in. And I always end up taking a walk down the hill to a big open market area and then I usually end up getting lost on the subway. But I've been on many adventures in dreamland San Fran.

These dreams always seem to last hours and span weeks if not months of time so I'm not really sure I manage to pretzel my brain around it, but I love them. I look forward to the dream; I'm always in a good mood when I wake from it.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingWithGas View Post
If I have to go the bathroom IRL while sleeping, I dream about urinating in inappropriate places because I can't find an appropriate place. I even go into bathrooms and there are no toilets. Then I wake up and go to the bathroom.
I dream about rivers and streams and overflowing fountains.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

• The "school" dream so often reported by others, but with this variation: it's not that I forgot to go to class all semester, it's that I started blowing off one course (still showing up for it but not having done my reading and research) then started blowing off another and soon am not in reaching distance of a passing grade in any of them, and have the frustrating realization that I'm not gonna make it in academia (yet again... as if I've tried and retried to scrape through and get my degree or something)

• the "naked" dream also so often reported but with this variation: that I've set off go to somewhere (across campus or to the post office or whatever) and realize "Aww gee, I shoulda put on clothes" but decide to act nonchalant and brazen it out; but folks' reactions get more and more intense and hostile and it starts to look like a spectacularly bad situation.

• the "can't run" dream once again apparently widely shared: my feet are slipping and I'm making no progress; in desperation I kneel and begin trying to haul myself forward gripping the ground and yanking myself forward but it's horribly slow going and there's some imperative reason I need to get somewhere before something bad happens or something bad catches me from behind (isn't it always like that?) and this isn't adequate at all.

• the not-quite-Superman dream: nope, can't fly, but I can sort of...swim through the air. With a fair amount of thrashing and kicking I am up in the air and clasp a tree limb 40 feet up. This is fun! I also do it indoors quite a bit, ascending or descending flights of stairs without touching down except once every 20 steps or so, or going over balcony railings and sailing out over the next level quite a ways before gently touching down.

• the gravity-inverty dream: I'm walking on the ceiling, and have to step around lighting fixtures (especially those damn chandeliers) and haul myself over those divider-thingies between rooms that come to knee level when you're walking on ceilings. Again, quite fun to be up here.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
In my dreams when I have to pee, I am always away from home in an unfamiliar place, looking for a bathroom. There will be a lot of false turns, but if I do finally find a bathroom it will be out of order or something. This goes on, with the need getting more and more urgent, until I wake up and go.

I used to think that if I actually peed in the dream, then I would also pee in real life while asleep and wet the bed. This turned out not to be true.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:24 PM

One of mine is poking around my house for some reason, and discovering a giant attic space, or basement room we didn't know about. In some cases I'll discover whole musty floors of the house that have been closed off for who knows how long.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Femm View Post
In my dreams when I have to pee, I am always away from home in an unfamiliar place, looking for a bathroom. There will be a lot of false turns, but if I do finally find a bathroom it will be out of order or something. This goes on, with the need getting more and more urgent, until I wake up and go.
Yes, and yes. I used to have the "go into a communal bathroom with a bazillion stalls and there's something wrong with each one" but now it's more wandering through a house and seeing things that should be toilets but don't end up being, and peeing in them anyway.

Less frequently than soon after she died, I have dreams that I'm not sure if my mom is still alive or not. I think it's my mind not being able to accept that she's really dead.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

I don't have a single recurring dream, but I do have a recurring theme. I call them "place" dreams. They can border on nightmare.

In my dream, I'm somewhere, usually a domicile/dwelling, but occasionally outside, on a road, or trail in the woods.

In any case, where/whatever my dreamscape geographical loci, it's someplace that's composed of familiar elements of places I've been before, but is still new/strange to me. I get this growing sense of unease as I feel I should know this place, or where I am at, and in my dream I move around/wander looking for things I should see/recognize, but I can't find it/them.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:33 PM

Just last night, I had another one of my "escape from a concentration camp" dreams.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I have similar, but usually the facilities are grotesquely filthy, like Renton's hallucination from Trainspotting. Ugh.

Then there are the orgy dreams. Those are considerably more fun.

The oddest, though is that I've had a long series of dreams that are unrelated except that a white tour bus shows up in them; sometimes I'm riding in it, sometimes it's just there in the background. A white tour bus. Haven't a bleedin' clue what that might be about.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:17 PM

It's a couple of months into the semester. I realize I haven't attended a single lecture for one of the courses I signed up for, and haven't turned in any assignments. It's too late to drop out. It's much too late to catch up.

I still have variations of this dream, even though I graduated 20 years ago. (It's only been 13 years since grad school, but the dream feels more like undergrad than grad school.)
Old 07-20-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
One of mine is poking around my house for some reason, and discovering a giant attic space, or basement room we didn't know about. In some cases I'll discover whole musty floors of the house that have been closed off for who knows how long.
I used to have those dreams too, it gave me a feeling of the night before christmas, the giddy anxiety, then completely filled with fear.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scr4 View Post
It's a couple of months into the semester. I realize I haven't attended a single lecture for one of the courses I signed up for, and haven't turned in any assignments. It's too late to drop out. It's much too late to catch up.

I still have variations of this dream, even though I graduated 20 years ago. (It's only been 13 years since grad school, but the dream feels more like undergrad than grad school.)
I still have those but my brain has compensated by adding a part where I remember I already graduated and I'm OK. The relief is amazing.

In the past when I have fallen asleep with the radio on, I have dreamed I am trying to turn off the music but it won't stop (because I am hearing the real music seeping through). I rip the plugs out of the wall but it just won't stop!

Well, I had a variant of that this morning. I had the A/C on and in the dream I kept trying to turn it off and it just wouldn't!!
Old 07-21-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
In the past when I have fallen asleep with the radio on, I have dreamed I am trying to turn off the music but it won't stop (because I am hearing the real music seeping through). I rip the plugs out of the wall but it just won't stop!
That still often happens to me.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:53 AM

This Top Secret clip is worth sharing again.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:01 AM

In my bathroom dreams, not only are the restrooms huge and filthy but the stall doors are either too short to give any privacy or too narrow to close properly. And, sometimes, though I'm in the women's room, there are men in there too.

I have two versions of the last day of school dreams. There's the one where I haven't been there all year and it's test time. I don't want to go and take it but wind up wandering the school's halls, putting off getting to the classroom and thinking I should just leave. Sometimes I do but usually I just spend the dream in a hallway limbo.

In the other, the last day of school is over and I realize I have a ton of stuff to take home but no way to get it there other than carrying it while walking. Several years ago, after waking up from such a dream, I imagined that teachers are probably at school finishing things up for a day or two after the students have gone. I could ask my teacher if I could come back the next day to get the rest of my stuff. In my dreams I sometimes remember this but, somehow, never get around to actually asking the teacher.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:42 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if I've ever had a recurring dream as such, but I do have recurring themes. Most of my dreams for the past ten years or more have been about exploration. I am either travelling somewhere in a vehicle, or newly arrived in a location and I have to look around, where I either hide from people because I'm trespassing, or alternatively pretend confidence as I encounter people. There's usually an element of deception or secrecy.

This does not include the dreams I have when my bladder is full, because those inevitably are quite literally about desperately looking for the toilet.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

For many years I had dreams of elevators 'malfunctioning' in various ways. They were not much fun I tell ya!

But of late, my sleep involves normal enough dreams, BUT I CONTINUE TO WAKE UP mid dream. It's like...' Oh, there's a cave that has a skeletal crab on a technicolour rock, and BOOM', I'm wide awake again. What's weirder though is that I go right back to sleep (within 5 min) and I'm back in the same bloody dream most of the time. WTH?

I'm presuming it's medication-based, but sheesh, they might have warned me.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:57 AM

All of my recurring dreams are school-based:
  • I didn't study for/didn't know about the big test
  • I can't find/can't remember my classroom
  • I can't find my locker/can't remember the combination

mmm
Old 07-23-2017, 09:23 AM

I don't care what my subconscious is telling me through dreams, I am NOT going to repeat medical school and then enter a family medicine residency, ensuring that when I finally start practice I'll shortly be too old to get anything done.

The thought of repeating all those basic science and anatomy courses is more chilling than being chased by monsters.

Last edited by Jackmannii; 07-23-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Bad recurring dream:
I moved to a new place and there is something very wrong with it (for example: exterior walls are missing, I have to climb a broken stair to reach it, I have to crawl through a tiny hole to reach it, it's the only flat in a large building filled with filthy toilets and showers,...).

Good recurring dream:
I moved to a new place and I discover hidden rooms/gardens with lots of interesting stuff in them.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:48 AM

I seem to dream about certain "dreamscapes" for a long time, and then somehow moves on to something newer. It often involves hiking/biking/driving some road or path, which invariably gets worse and worse until it is Dr. Seuss territory. Many frightful moments trying to drive an impossible path and not fall into the water far far below.

And as AHunter3 listed, I've had my share of the first four on his list.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kambuckta View Post
But of late, my sleep involves normal enough dreams, BUT I CONTINUE TO WAKE UP mid dream. It's like...' Oh, there's a cave that has a skeletal crab on a technicolour rock, and BOOM', I'm wide awake again. What's weirder though is that I go right back to sleep (within 5 min) and I'm back in the same bloody dream most of the time. WTH?
I DREAM that I've woken up or succeeded in waking myself out of the dream, fall back to sleep, dream, "wake myself", repeat, but in reality I am still asleep the whole time. It's exhausting.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:11 AM
Charter Member

Ooh, another one! Because I just woke up from one of them!

I get quite excited in these dreams because I've recognized a good change to make, perhaps in my database code or (as in this instance) a change to a passage in my book. I either make the change itself or make a note about what change to make and I'm feeling very happy because it's a really good change.

Then, if it's still in my head when I wake up, it's, umm....

• My favorite one so far about modification to the database scripting was the clever notion that I could open a remote session to a computer at work, populate a global container field (known as a "binary large object" or BLOB in some other database environments) with an object I'd left behind by accident at my desk, and then open the database over wide area network connection at home and download it from the same field. Voila, I've incorporated a Star Trek transporter into my FileMaker database!

• Tonight, I was editing the action scene on the ship where the pirate-like invaders are coming down from the sails with knives in hand and one lands in front of me. I realized it would make more sense to the reader, who might otherwise wonder why the guy didn't hack me in half immediately, if I explained that the pet monkey he had riding on his shoulder had hopped off awkwardly as he landed and made a sound, and he'd glanced back momentarily which had given me time to get my startled ass in motion. Sounds like a good edit, except that there is no scene anywhere in the book that takes place on a ship, no knife-weilding pirates, and no monkeys.

Last edited by AHunter3; 07-24-2017 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2017, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I have a dream about enrolling in a college course and forgetting to go to class all semester and then realize I have to take a final (pleased to meet you EmilyG). I went to college 38 years ago and still have this dream. (However, I did once miss a final exam and failed the class as a result. I missed that the prof had changed the schedule for his class's final from the published finals schedule.)
Yep. Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
the "naked" dream also so often reported but with this variation: that I've set off go to somewhere (across campus or to the post office or whatever) and realize "Aww gee, I shoulda put on clothes" but decide to act nonchalant and brazen it out; but folks' reactions get more and more intense and hostile and it starts to look like a spectacularly bad situation.

the "can't run" dream once again apparently widely shared: my feet are slipping and I'm making no progress; in desperation I kneel and begin trying to haul myself forward gripping the ground and yanking myself forward but it's horribly slow going and there's some imperative reason I need to get somewhere before something bad happens or something bad catches me from behind (isn't it always like that?) and this isn't adequate at all.

the not-quite-Superman dream: nope, can't fly, but I can sort of...swim through the air. With a fair amount of thrashing and kicking I am up in the air and clasp a tree limb 40 feet up. This is fun! I also do it indoors quite a bit, ascending or descending flights of stairs without touching down except once every 20 steps or so, or going over balcony railings and sailing out over the next level quite a ways before gently touching down.
Yep, yep, yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
Yes, and yes. I used to have the "go into a communal bathroom with a bazillion stalls and there's something wrong with each one" but now it's more wandering through a house and seeing things that should be toilets but don't end up being, and peeing in them anyway.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
I have similar, but usually the facilities are grotesquely filthy, like Renton's hallucination from Trainspotting. Ugh
Yep.

Actually the only standard dream I have that hasn't yet been mentioned is where I have to catch a plane. But try as I might, one hurdle after another gets in my way. I slowly go from having plenty of time to cutting it a bit fine to total panic trying to get to the airport but never being able to get there.

As to the recurring exam/assignment dream, as I think I have mentioned before, this one is so strong that even sitting here now wide awake, nearly 30 years since my last exam, I can't quite shake the feeling that there is something that I'm due to study for or hand in which is overdue.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:52 AM

I lived in Austin, TX from 1966 to 1979 when I moved back to Houston.

Sometime in the early 1990s, I started having a recurring theme in dreams about riding a bicycle to Austin. This can actually be the main focus of the dream or just some ancillary action. I remember one dream where I was thinking about looking at a bike shop and thinking about buying one so I could ride it to Austin. I've been having this happen about once a month since they started.

Lately, I've been having a recurring dream about having to check out of a huge hotel, but I can't find my room so that I can pack. This one just started about a year ago.