Old 06-24-2017, 02:41 PM

I donít like watching new movies.

I've been watching a lot of movies made in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s over the past year. Mainly westerns, but also quite a few thrillers and a comedy here and there.

I now find modern flicks are almost unbearable to watch:

- The jerky camera movement annoys the hell out of me. In a given scene the camera view will change at least once a second.

- Loud and very compressed music blaring in my ears the entire time. There's no such thing as just two people talking; even during simple dialog scenes there's synthesized music and occasionally some background noise. Why??

- CGI, even when it's not needed. And most CGI looks so fake that it takes me away from the movie.

- Over-saturated colors.

- Too much use of audio effects.
Advertisements  
Old 06-24-2017, 02:53 PM

I agree. Technical "marvels," loud music/noises and quick cutting, instead of good writing, appeal to lazy viewers, and so lazy viewers is what they get. It's a vicious circle.

Last night I watched a 90-minute Swedish TV mystery that had none of that stuff, and I was riveted. Character interplay between a dozen people, the occasional flashback (only to remind us of something we've already seen, that suddenly became relevant), no explosions or car chases or robots. I guess it helped that it was set in the 50's so that people were used to interacting with each other instead of with devices.

But what do I know? I'm 67 and no-one's target audience. For the OP, there are a few films that don't do those things, but you have to hunt for them, and they may not be readily available in theaters unless you live in a major metropolitan area.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:56 PM

Pretty much agree with all of this. Plus, the story, if there is one at all, it usually fucking stupid.

I don't like comic books or any of their characters, vampires or zombies. Pretty much excludes me.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:58 PM

Ditto to all of you (including the age-- I'm 68). I prefer movies with actual, you know: plots, characters, a story line, good cinematography without falling back on special effects. I also do not like gratuitous manipulation of my emotions via shocking and graphic violence, particularly against children and animals. When I feel like my chains are being intentionally yanked by someone who doesn't know how to do it otherwise, I bail immediately. The handheld camera also makes me nuts--thank you for starting that, Woody Allen.

Hey, Rod-- what was the 90-min Swedish story you watched? Sounds like it's right up my street.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 06-24-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:28 PM

Right up through the 1990s, I used to love going to the movies. Now I go to one maybe every other year. The last ones I saw were The Hateful Eight, Fury, and The Imitation Game.

Most of today's movies are absolute crap churned out by people who don't give a rat's ass about quality. As long as there are idiots willing to pay for such tripe, the trend will continue.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:31 PM

Huh. Couldn't agree less. I find the editing and cinematic techniques of older films distracting in their primitiveness.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
Huh. Couldn't agree less. I find the editing and cinematic techniques of older films distracting in their primitiveness.
Yeah, they actually require the viewer to have a more than two-second attention span.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
? Even if we agree that there have been objective "advances" in recent filmmaking methods over the more "primitive" ones available to earlier generations, I don't see how the mere existence of the earlier methods would distract you.

Do you also find it "distracting" to look at, say, early black-and-white photos because they don't use color film? Or to look at prehistoric cave paintings because their pigments were cruder and less varied than modern paints?
Old 06-24-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Can you look at REALITY? Does the lack of editing and cinematic techniques distract you?
Old 06-24-2017, 06:00 PM

CGI used in place of say, rear projection is fine.

CGI for explosions and the like, I don't really know why they can't do it better but they usually don't. Something to do with persistence of vision and frame rates I think. Objects aren't on the screen long enough for you to register them.

As for stories, with a few exceptions, I don't really care that much, most stories are boring and the same; I'm much more into big scenery-chewing acting and lush photography.

I don't go for any of the comic book/zombie/vampire/fantasy shit either, but modern photography (let's say last 50 years) has it all over the older stuff, in spades. If some of those older films had been in color, it might be a different, uh, story. Color requires a lot more attention to art direction and lighting.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Hey, Rod-- what was the 90-min Swedish story you watched? Sounds like it's right up my street.
It's called Crimes of Passion and I get it through MHz Choice. Based on novels by Maria Lang and starring a very fetching Ola Rapace. Unfortunately there are only 6 episodes available. MHz has some other series that I will be checking out.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsTheEnd View Post
CGI used in place of say, rear projection is fine.

CGI for explosions and the like, I don't really know why they can't do it better but they usually don't. Something to do with persistence of vision and frame rates I think. Objects aren't on the screen long enough for you to register them.

As for stories, with a few exceptions, I don't really care that much, most stories are boring and the same; I'm much more into big scenery-chewing acting and lush photography.

I don't go for any of the comic book/zombie/vampire/fantasy shit either, but modern photography (let's say last 50 years) has it all over the older stuff, in spades. If some of those older films had been in color, it might be a different, uh, story. Color requires a lot more attention to art direction and lighting.
I would disagree with the lighting comment. It takes great skill to get the lighting and shadows correct in b&w.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
If some of those older films had been in color, it might be a different, uh, story. Color requires a lot more attention to art direction and lighting.
I've seen a colorized version of Casablanca that was actually quite well done. However, it couldn't hold a candle to the original B&W version, especially when viewed in a real cinema (and not on TV or in a multiplex).* The range of blacks, whites, and greys is simply stunning, and the images seem to shimmer before your eyes.

This is why they called it "The Silver Screen."

*I saw it with friends at the Oktyabrskoe Cinema in Moscow, the largest movie theater in the world. The screen there is (or at least was, back in 1990) enormous!
Old 06-24-2017, 06:24 PM

I agree with this, especially with the loud music. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it's in the background at all. I find some tv shows to be the same way. The music completely drowns out any dialogue that's going on.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:01 PM

I love old films. I even love silent films. My all-time favorite film is from 1942 (To Be or Not to Be), and my second favorite is from 1927 (Metropolis). The newest film on my DVR is from 1967, and most of the film are from the 30s and 40s. Even when I was a kid, I liked old movies. When the paper came with the new TV schedule, I'd get it and go through all the movies looking for anything from the 1930s or 1940s, and circle it. It was before VCRs, so if it was on at night, I'd set the alarm, and sneak into the living room and watch it. I usually fell asleep, but I'd catch enough of it. If it was on during school, and starred someone I really liked, or had four stars, I might try to work up a fake cold. I actually went to the doctor and submitted to a throat culture just to watch Gaslight. Totally worth it.

When I was 11, my grandfather bought me a 13-inch B&W TV for my room, which was so cool to me, I could barely contain myself. It made my covert nighttime movie watching easier.

I like movies in general, and recently had a good time at Wonder Woman, but I still love a film that people obviously cared about making. And there are some great performances that are unmatched-- you can't use CGI to make something as funny as Irene Dunne in The Awful Truth (1937).
Old 06-24-2017, 07:32 PM

Not going to argue with you about my personal tastes, just stating them. Take it, leave it, whatever.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Not going to argue with you about my personal tastes, just stating them. Take it, leave it, whatever.
Now who's being a Grumpy Gus?
Old 06-24-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Now who's being a Grumpy Gus?
Somebody make tea.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 PM

90% of everything is crap. Comparing a good movie to 9 bad ones will make it very easy to over generalize.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
90% of everything is crap.
Yes, but some crappy things are crappier than others.

F'rinstance, Plan Nine from Outer Space is great crap! Junk like the reboot of Star Trek is just plain crap.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
Over-saturated colors.
Huh. I would have thought the main complaint there would have been where they are under-saturated.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:15 PM

One of the things that always gets me when I watch silent movies is how incredibly talented, in a physical sense, the actors were. Sure, the movies have the (sometimes) long explanations written out, but still, it takes a lot of sheer talent to get the point across in a fitting way.

There's only a tiny handful of actors like that today--Dick van Dyke, who has admitted that Laurel and Hardy were tremendously influential for him; Jim Carrey and Ben Stiller have some of that. That's about it.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Yes, but some crappy things are crappier than others.

F'rinstance, Plan Nine from Outer Space is great crap! Junk like the reboot of Star Trek is just plain crap.
Funny aside about plan 9. During the summer they show movies at the Hollywood forever cemetary at night. One night it was plan 9. About 30min into into it this small girl in front of us turns to her mom and says. "Mommy, this movie us terrible!"

Mommy:"I know sweetheart. That's why we're here"

Kid:"why did you do the to us?"

Mommy: "just be quiet and watch it!"
Old 06-24-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snfaulkner View Post
Mommy:"I know sweetheart. That's why we're here"

Kid:"why did you do the to us?"

Mommy: "just be quiet and watch it!"
I think I'm in love!
Old 06-24-2017, 09:55 PM

Shaky cameras are my biggest gripe. I absolutely hate that technique. It is apparently supposed to simulate "real vision," but any idiot knows that the human eye is extremely good at eliminating that effect. Just focus on something and shake your head to see. Humans have evolved with that (excellent) ability.

I know that the cinematographer is actually trying to simulate a handheld camera, but what's the point in doing that if it's supposed to be a POV shot that doesn't involve a camera? It is stupid, irritating, and an effect that, much like the "Dutch angle," is used by people who don't understand why other film-makers use it or when it would be actually be appropriate. I hate it.

Did I say that I hate it?
Old 06-24-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonexandScout View Post
<snip> Did I say that I hate it?
I'll do you one (slightly) better*: for a while, they were using this "technique" where the camera can't quite stay on the subject of the shot. "Wall-E" used it--it was like the camera couldn't find him and then couldn't keep him in the shot. The first "Star Trek" re-boot used it, too; when Thor Kirk was taking his ship on the suicide run into the baddie's big, stupid looking vessel, the doomed ship wouldn't stay in the frame. The worst part? They went out of their way to digitally create bad camera-work! Haven't noticed it in a while, maybe they're done with it?

*So to speak.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I'll do you one (slightly) better*: for a while, they were using this "technique" where the camera can't quite stay on the subject of the shot. "Wall-E" used it--it was like the camera couldn't find him and then couldn't keep him in the shot. The first "Star Trek" re-boot used it, too; when Thor Kirk was taking his ship on the suicide run into the baddie's big, stupid looking vessel, the doomed ship wouldn't stay in the frame.
I noticed the same thing in the episodes of Boston Legal I watched. Shatner et al. floated around camera shots like the mouths of characters in Clutch Cargo cartoons.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
It is stupid, irritating, and an effect that, much like the "Dutch angle," is used by people who don't understand why other film-makers use it or when it would be actually be appropriate.
Is that where the camera keeps changing focus from the actor nearer to it to the actor farther from it and then back again, without anything moving? Gives me a headache!
Old 06-24-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Is that where the camera keeps changing focus from the actor nearer to it to the actor farther from it and then back again, without anything moving? Gives me a headache!
Oh, no, that's called a rack focus. Dutch angle; think TV Batman tilted sets.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 06-24-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Oh, no, that's called a rack focus. Dutch angle; think TV Batman tilted sets.
Holy cinematography! Why didn't I think of that?!?
Old 06-25-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, many directors, including Orson Welles, used Dutch angles effectively to convey a sense of unease. The shots are disconcerting to the viewer and originated, I believe, in German expressionist movies. More recent film-makers think, "I want to make an impression on the audience and show that I watched classic movies. Let's make this a Dutch angle!"

To a certain extent, I believe that shaky camera shots are intended to simulate viewing the action through a cell phone as one records. Why that would be relevant in so many scenes is totally baffling.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:12 AM

Oh, yes, I also hate most CGI. To trot out a tired and over-used observation, Jurassic Park did GCI right. It was subtle and believable. The creatures and objects generally obeyed the laws of physics. The CGI complemented live-action and in-camera FX. Newer movies, especially superhero movies, just totally crap all over this approach. I have to blame video games for the general acceptance of such inferior work.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
To a certain extent, I believe that shaky camera shots are intended to simulate viewing the action through a cell phone as one records. Why that would be relevant in so many scenes is totally baffling.
The Blair Witch Project used "shaky cam" effectively, because it was supposed to look like found footage that had been deliberately under-edited, to give the viewer the feeling of what exactly the camera person saw when they were filming. One thing that was effective about the BWP was how increasingly shaky the footage gets as the film goes on. It's supposed to be made by film students, who are almost professional in the beginning, and as they become more and more unhinged, and filming breaks down (yet they keep filming, in an attempt to fool themselves into thinking that everything is still OK). It's effective not because it's shaky, but because of what it represents.

After the BWP was a surprise hit, "found footage" films became all the rage, and they were shaky just to communicate "Hey! found footage!" It didn't work. Imitation rarely does, but people do it anyway.

Last edited by RivkahChaya; 06-25-2017 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 AM

Shaky cam is to imitate that your position is not fixed, and that's exactly what is is.

Drift is to imitate a real time POV if you were in the room with the characters. You wouldn't just stare at the person who was speaking, and if there were other people in the room, your eyes wouldn't be framing a two-shot. Your eyes would drift around the room. They don't take it that far, but that's the intention behind it.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Shaky cam is to imitate that your position is not fixed, and that's exactly what is is.

Drift is to imitate a real time POV if you were in the room with the characters. You wouldn't just stare at the person who was speaking, and if there were other people in the room, your eyes wouldn't be framing a two-shot. Your eyes would drift around the room. They don't take it that far, but that's the intention behind it.
Agree. Drift is something else entirely. The typical misuse of shaky cam is at a conference table, where the POV of one of the participants keeps shifting fractionally, as if he/she was holding a camera in his/her hands. What's the point? That is absolutely NOT what a real person sitting there would see. Our ability to fix our vision on an object is marvelous, even when our head is in motion.

Now, keeping our eyes fixed on a moving object is something else altogether. ("Keeping our eyes fixed on a moving object is something else.")

Last edited by ZonexandScout; 06-25-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:24 AM

"Mainstream" movies have generally gotten really crappy. I have little interest lately in most movies in the top box office. (Things get better in the late fall when the award contenders start rolling out.)

But I watch a lot of new movies thanks to streaming. Little indie or British movies. Few of which ever appeared on any box office list.

There is the occasional shaky cam indie.

While they all have the standard loud music/sound effects issue, that's just how it's done now. Even older movies digitized now have the same problem.

The supposed "solution" is to adjust your TV in a magic way. But A: All of us fixing their problem is stupid. They should fix it from the start. And B. None of my TVs have a setting that remotely fixes this.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Shaky cam has been around a lot longer than cell/smart phones.

I agree that it often makes no sense.

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 06-25-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

There's certainly a lot about modern movies I don't like. They do tend to be loud and frenetic, with no sense of timing. They do need to breathe sometimes.

But generally I enjoy most modern movies just fine, at least in the genres I have always liked. And if I don't get what I want from movies (comedy especially seems to be going in a terrible direction), there is plenty of TV that does it well, and they do take their time where they can.

I also don't mind CGI, as I am an aficionado of it as a hobby. A VFX nerd, if you will. Yeah some of it is badly done, but that's true of every aspect of movies - you notice when it's bad, don't notice when it's good. You have to make allowances, and over time things will improve.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
While we're (sort of) on the subject, what is this camera technique called?

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 06-25-2017 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:26 AM

I guess I'm out of the movie demographic now. Everything is Spiderman, Batman, Superman, or some other comic book. Starring I-dunno-who-these-people-are.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:33 AM

Hoo boy, the old is strong in this thread.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:50 AM

I'm so emotionally dead that I require explosions, overwrought melodrama, and bone rattling orchestral scores to spark the barest glimmer of human feeling in my cold husk of a body. Audiences are wracked by alienation in a post-industrial society and gaze upon the screen like a cow waiting for the thud of the bolt gun. Ah, sweet relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
The nice thing about old movies is you can take a nap and not miss anything. Oh, and the casual misogyny.

Actually, whenever I watch old movies that are three or more hours long I dread the experience, but they're usually well paced and skip right along.

Quote:
While we're (sort of) on the subject, what is this camera technique called?
Dolly zoom.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:54 AM

Weird -- I'm more used to hearing obtrusive, unnecessary music in older movies compared to recent movies. Especially in comedies or romances, say.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I guess I'm out of the movie demographic now. Everything is Spiderman, Batman, Superman, or some other comic book. Starring I-dunno-who-these-people-are.
I have to comment here.
No offense , Everything is Not Spider-man, Batman, Superman or some other comic book.
Seriously, I can't believe you actually believe that.
According to Box Office Mojo Hollywood released 729 films in 2016.
That's 729. Of those how many were "comic book" films? Maybe 10? 12?

I'm so tired of hearing people say that all the movies that are released are special effect comic book films. There are so many different types of films released every year. Something for everybody.

I'm 56.
I LOVE movies.
Movies from all decades.
I can sit and watch a movie from the 30's and than watch one that came out last year and enjoy them both. It doesn't matter to me. Strong script, strong acting, strong directing. It doesn't matter when it was made, if it has all that then it's worth watching.

Last edited by Richard John Marcej; 06-25-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard John Marcej View Post
I'm so tired of hearing people say that all the movies that are released are special effect comic book films. There are so many different types of films released every year. Something for everybody.
True, but how culturally relevant are they? Take a gander at 2016's top grossing movies.

That list made me realize there's such a movie as Ice Age 5: Collision Course, which grossed $400 million with a 15% RT. Lovely.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMoon View Post
Newer isnt always better.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post

The nice thing about old movies is you can take a nap and not miss anything. Oh, and the casual misogyny.

Their misogyny was so lame. If only they had that Straight Outta Compton group to mentor them.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post

Neither is older.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
And things weren't always better in the old days. Most of the time, they were much worse.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:40 PM

Older movies are slower and have the disadvantage that they are the cliches that the newer movies (and esp the great newer tv shows) are riffing on. So watching old movies seems regressive sometimes.

I was a film student and have seen boatloads of classic and art movies. These days they need to be in the top percentile classically or artistically for me to take the time. There's not many left that I missed.

And yes the movies are basically being made for kids these days. Anecdotally there are many kinds of flicks, but we can see how the culture is by looking out at it. The economic model for filmed dramas has shifted. I don't think there's any looking back.