Old 07-11-2017, 10:06 PM

Marine boot camp, how long can females wear their hair?

Hello Everyone,

Or daughter had enlisted in the Marines and will be going to boot camp in a month. Are female recruits required to have their hair cut or can they wear it in a bun? From what I've read a bun is allowed after boot camp, but during it must be cut above shoulder length. Just curious, does anyone know?
Advertisements  
Old 07-11-2017, 10:22 PM

I thought this was going to be about a boot camp where you learn to wear flannel shirts and talk in a funny accent.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 PM

A_Yup

Last edited by davida03801; 07-11-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:38 PM

What I find is that it must be above the collar and if not cut short must be put up. But from what I know of boot camp (which is definitely secondhand), going #2 for the duration would just be the simplest solution.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:18 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedwayRyan View Post
I thought this was going to be about a boot camp where you learn to wear flannel shirts and talk in a funny accent.
Typo in thread title fixed (Maine -> Marine).
Old 07-12-2017, 01:13 AM

For some reason, I read "long" in the thread title to have the sense of time rather than length. It was very confusing.

Last edited by John Mace; 07-12-2017 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
Moderator Note

Typo in thread title fixed (Maine -> Marine).
Thanks Mod. What would a thread of mine be like without a few typos?
Old 07-12-2017, 08:24 AM

Don't know for sure, but it's a good bet your daughter's hair in boot camp will be a far sight longer than mine was. 😜

Congrats to her.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:15 AM

If men are forced to cut their hair shorter than women when in boot camp, could a man sue for sexual discrimination? I'm wondering what overriding purpose there could be for different rules depending on the gender of the trainee.

And just to be clear, I'm not trying to start a debate. I'm asking a question, hoping someone with legal knowledge of the matter can answer.

Last edited by John Mace; 07-12-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 AM

The question occurred to me too.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:20 AM

According to this website, http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/ar...p/t-99103.html, the rules are the same in boot camp as in the fleet.

I would say though that depending on the type of hair your daughter has would make a difference on how or if I would get it cut before camp. The reason is if the female boots get the same amount of free time for hair, shower, and so on as the men's boots do, she won't have time for much hair styling.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 AM

I was a soldier not a marine but the women were allowed to keep their long hair. I heard stories though where women were forced to roll around in the shredded tire pit to ensure that their buns were tight enough. Also I've been told that you don't want your hair too short or you can't tie it up properly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
For some reason, I read "long" in the thread title to have the sense of time rather than length. It was very confusing.
Reminds me of the old joke about the guy who went to the lumberyard.
He says "I need 120 2x4s"
Lumberyard guy asks "How long do you want them?"
"Oh, pretty long, I'm building a house"
Old 07-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Terrific View Post
she won't have time for much hair styling.
This is the only thing that should concern you.

I ain't a woman, and I sure ain't no marine.
But I was a soldier once---And in basic training, 30 seconds is a long,long,looooong time.

If she has to spend 60 seconds or even a full one and a half minutes taking care of her hair....that's not gonna be fun.
You don't want to be the one who gets your whole platoon punished because you were late lining up for inspection.
And during training, when you have to put on your helmet/goggles/gas mask, etc...you don't want waste 30 seconds moving your hair out of the way.

Last edited by chappachula; 07-12-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:29 PM

Let me assume that your daughter is like most females and that want she wants her hair to be "attractive". And that if her hair is cut too short, this will not be the case.

Boot camp is going to be be HELL². She will have absolutely no time to do anything with her hair. It has to be cut short enough that one quick brush through after she gets up is all that is required to look presentable. The men she is training with and her superior officers will not cut her any slack at all if she needs time to "fix" her hair.

Much of her training is going to cause her to be a sweaty and dirty. Hair caked in mud is no fun.

Hair grows back. She's not getting nose job. After boot camp she can let her hair grow out. She doesn't need to get a male Marine cut, but right now she does need to get it cut as short as she can possibly stand. And believe me, half way through boot camp she be saying, "I sure am glad I got my hair cut short".
Old 07-12-2017, 06:41 PM

Here's three hair no no's.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wome...FCUC8yzbhlL8M:

Bangs below eyebrows
Hair length difference
Scrunchie color

Tutorial on the military donut bun. I'd suggest being able to do this very quickly. Time is a big deal in boot camp.
https://youtu.be/C6AvIStmGVo

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-12-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
Let me assume that your daughter is like most females and that want she wants her hair to be "attractive". And that if her hair is cut too short, this will not be the case.

Boot camp is going to be be HELL². She will have absolutely no time to do anything with her hair. It has to be cut short enough that one quick brush through after she gets up is all that is required to look presentable. The men she is training with and her superior officers will not cut her any slack at all if she needs time to "fix" her hair.

Much of her training is going to cause her to be a sweaty and dirty. Hair caked in mud is no fun.

Hair grows back. She's not getting nose job. After boot camp she can let her hair grow out. She doesn't need to get a male Marine cut, but right now she does need to get it cut as short as she can possibly stand. And believe me, half way through boot camp she be saying, "I sure am glad I got my hair cut short".
No worries with this. My daughter is attractive, but could care less about making herself pretty. She's more of a tomboy, hence the Maines. She'll be going to boot camp, then they're sending her to college, followed by her for years. She wants to be an officer and make a career out of it.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewder View Post
Also I've been told that you don't want your hair too short or you can't tie it up properly.
That is one detail that we dudes may overlook, there's a length of hair that you cannot "put up" very efficiently but still is too long to just let loose.

The Marine regs recognize three standards for women's hair. From the Marine Corps regs, boldface added by me at spots:

Quote:
Ch 5 b. Female Grooming Regulations. Women will be well groomed at all times and will abide by the following:

(1) Hair Regulations. The requirement for hair regulations is to maintain uniformity within a military population. Women's hairstyles require non-eccentric and non-faddish styles, maintaining a conservative, professional appearance.
For the purpose of these regulations, women’s hairstyles will be organized into three basic categories; short length, medium length and long hair.

(a) Hair Length (see Figure 1-3).
__1. Short Hair Length. Short hair is defined as hair length that extends no more than 1 inch from the scalp (excluding bangs). Hair may be no shorter than 1/4 inch from the scalp, but may be evenly graduated to within 2 inches of the hair line. Bangs, if worn, may not fall into the line of sight, may not interfere with the wear of all headgear, and when worn with headgear must lie neatly against the head. The width of the bangs may extend to the hairline at the temple.
__2. Medium Hair Length. Medium hair is defined as hair that does not extend beyond the collar’s lower edge (in all uniforms), and extends more than 1 inch from the scalp. Medium hair may fall naturally in uniform and is not required to be secured. When worn loose, graduated hair styles are acceptable, but the length, from the front to the back, may not exceed one inch difference in length, from the front to the back (see Figure 1-3).
The regulations for the wear of bangs detailed above are relevant. No portion of the bulk of the hair as measured from the scalp will exceed
approximately 2 inches (see Figure 1-3).
__3. Long Hair. Long hair is defined as hair that extends beyond the collar’s lower edge. Long hair will be neatly and inconspicuously fastened or pinned, except that bangs may be worn. The regulations for the wear of bangs detailed above are relevant. No portion of the bulk of the hair, as measured from the scalp, will exceed approximately 2 inches (except a bun, which may extend a maximum of 3 inches from the scalp) and no wider than the width of the head.

(b) Hairstyles. Faddish and exaggerated styles to include shaved portions of the scalp other than the neckline, designs cut in the hair, unsecured ponytails (except during physical training), and unbalanced or lopsided hairstyles are prohibited. Hair will be styled so as not to interfere with the proper wear of all uniform headgear. All headgear will fit snugly and comfortably around the largest part of the head without
distortion or excessive gaps. When headgear is worn, hair should not protrude at distinct angles from under the edges.
Hairstyles, which do not allow the headgear to be worn in this manner, are prohibited.

Last edited by JRDelirious; 07-12-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Lost edit window: along with the "not interfere with headgear" requirement it should also go without saying that it not intefere with safety or operational equipment. Male or female you don't want to accidentally get scalped when your hair gets caught in some piece of machinery and you should be able to easily put on and take off the gas mask, goggles, or a mic headset, or unsling a weapon from over your shoulder. It seems from the Google hits that they have recently made some changes to allow some more forms of hairstyles to come under the "not faddish or exaggerated" appearance requirements but the length and bulk tiers are still there.

Basically for both men and women the hair regs are generally meant to (a) allow for use of the headgear and the equipment that may go on or around the head, (b) NOT call attention to yourself disrupting the uniformity of, well, being in uniform, (c) be low maintenance in the field. Dudes got it simplified in that they just get buzzed at Basic no matter what (because who's gonna want to be the one who whined) and many decide to keep the close buzz or a high-n-tight for convenience especially if they are combat arms or some other branch that spends a lot of time out getting dirty (BTW the zero-guard-clipper buzz also provides excellent plausible deniability to senior personel when balding begins You are not losing your hair, you I just like the badass warrior look... right)

Last edited by JRDelirious; 07-12-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:04 PM

USMC regs always apply, but I'm betting that in boot camp all the WM recruits have their hair cut. In the fleet, after graduating boot camp, you can wear your hair up, but in boot camp I'm pretty sure it'll get cut short.

One big thing about entering boot camp is uniformity, and stripping you of your individual identity. Losing your hair, for us guys, was one quick and sure way to do that. You are no longer Bullitt, former civilian. You are Private Bullitt, or Recruit Bullitt, US Marine Recruit.

I went to MCRD San Diego CA. All WMs go to Parris Island in SC, so I never saw a WM recruit. But that's my best guess.

Semper Fidelis, obbn, and thank you and your family and your daughter for your support and service.

Gunny Bullitt
Old 07-14-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
USMC regs always apply, but I'm betting that in boot camp all the WM recruits have their hair cut. In the fleet, after graduating boot camp, you can wear your hair up, but in boot camp I'm pretty sure it'll get cut short.

One big thing about entering boot camp is uniformity, and stripping you of your individual identity. Losing your hair, for us guys, was one quick and sure way to do that. You are no longer Bullitt, former civilian. You are Private Bullitt, or Recruit Bullitt, US Marine Recruit.

I went to MCRD San Diego CA. All WMs go to Parris Island in SC, so I never saw a WM recruit. But that's my best guess.

Semper Fidelis, obbn, and thank you and your family and your daughter for your support and service.

Gunny Bullitt
Here is some females in boot camp, none have a buzz cut. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL_RKh_yrhs
Old 07-14-2017, 03:15 PM

I wasn't expecting any buzz cuts. I imagine anyone with long hair would have it trimmed to some standard length.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:29 PM

I found an archived discussion thread over on the leatherneck.com forums: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/ar...p/t-36329.html.

Skimming it briefly, apparently you can keep it long as long as you keep it up and out of the way. And of course above the collar. Some choose to get it cut after arriving, but one poster said it's better to have it longer so she could roll it up -- better than mid-length at that in-between length where it can get in the way.

From poster TeufelhundenBB in that link:
Quote:
This is regarding the hair issue. I have really long hair and in boot camp I found it a lot easier to be able to put it up and keep it out of my face. The girls who decided to cut their hair had a much more difficult time trying to keep it out of their face without getting yelled at by the drill instructors. In boot camp, you cannot touch your hair or your face without being told to do so. I had my hair caked with jel and hairspray so it would stay out of my way and I never had to worry about it. The only time I did, was at 0200 when I was fixing it in the head (bathroom . If you prepare ahead of time, before lights in the morning, then your hair won't be that big of a deal. Plus, you get to keep it long, so when you are on leave and liberty, you'll know what to do with it ; ) The easiest thing I found that works, is if you put your hair in a lower ponytail, braid the pony tail, wrap it around the base of the ponytail and pin it in place. With this hairstyle, it's really easy to hide bobbypins and clear ponytail holders. Anyway, hope this helps!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Me to. But not too confusing. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTim View Post
Don't know for sure, but it's a good bet your daughter's hair in boot camp will be a far sight longer than mine was. ��
Interpreted as John Mace suggested:
Q: Marine boot camp: How long can males / females wear their hair?
A: Same for each: about 5 minutes after they get there. First stop's the barber. Bzzzzzzt then it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obbn View Post
No worries with this. My daughter is attractive, but could care less about making herself pretty. She's more of a tomboy, hence the Maines. She'll be going to boot camp, then they're sending her to college, followed by her for years. She wants to be an officer and make a career out of it.
Joining the Maines again is she? Are they arming to secede from the US, to join / rejoin Canada, or just to defeat the rampaging moose?

Last edited by LSLGuy; 07-14-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSLGuy View Post
Joining the Maines again is she? Are they arming to secede from the US, to join / rejoin Canada, or just to defeat the rampaging moose?
What would a thread with me in it be without typos?
Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 PM

So... a lot of people here have no experience in boot camp. Boot camp is different, as they strive for uniformity. I'm a male and not a female and I was in the Navy as well. But, from what I remember all of the same sex left the first trip to the barber with the same haircut. Men had nothing more than 1/4" long and all the women had collar length hair. This is all due to maintenance reasons while working your ass off as you'll be tired a lot and group showers just suck and you want to get in and out as soon as possible.

That being said, if your daughter has nice and long hair, and it'll grow back anyways, she should think of donating all that wonderful hair from a young person. Else, it will just fall to the floor and be thrown in the trash.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronbee View Post
Men had nothing more than 1/4" long and all the women had collar length hair.
Not us men at MCRD, we had far less. We were essentially shaved bald. That first night I distinctly remember lying in my rack and trying to grab any hairs on my head and quickly realizing that the longest hairs, by far, were my eyebrows.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Better that than the ones in your nose.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula View Post
If she has to spend 60 seconds or even a full one and a half minutes taking care of her hair....that's not gonna be fun.
It doesn't take 60 seconds to twist long hair into a bun. I can put mine into a standard "twist" bun in 30 seconds. Additionally, even 60 seconds to put hair into a bun is far less time than it takes to style one of the shorter approved hairdos.

Women in the Corps are allowed to use scrunchies the same color as their hair, which helps to secure the bun further.

Quote:

And during training, when you have to put on your helmet/goggles/gas mask, etc...you don't want waste 30 seconds moving your hair out of the way.
The hair won't be in the way; that's why the Corps made the regulations it did. If it's in a bun and gelled and sprayed into place, it won't need to be moved.

FWIW, my cousin did four tours in the ME in a policing/security role with nearly waist-length hair, which she wore in a tight bun.