Old 08-13-2017, 07:28 AM

Don't Play B-17 (Songs You Don't Want to Hear Anymore)

So this morning, the hubs and I were telling Alexa (our amazon echo) to play random songs - and I requested "Please Mr. Please" by Olivia Newton-John.

For the youngsters in the crowd - it's an old 70s song about a jilted woman sitting at the bar, asking "button-pushing cowboys" not to select B-17 on the jukebox because that was "their song" back when she was with the guy.

It got me thinking - what songs do you avoid, or skip, or just not play anymore that you used to love? It doesn't have to be about romance - just any songs that were once something you listened to on repeat, but now have bad feelings about.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:22 AM

Electric Slide

The Rodeo Song
Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Melody, am I wrong, or haven't you been gone a long time?! Well, welcome back! (to my consciousness, if nothing else.) I've missed you!

I'm trying to answer your music question, but truthfully I'm burned out on so much of what I once loved, I can't think of a specific one right now.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:57 AM
Uncharted
Charter Member

"I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home"

Go home already!
Old 08-15-2017, 10:58 AM

I Used to love reggae in general and Bob Marley in particular. Now it just reminds me of the tacky beach bars around here and the drunken scumbags that inhabit them. Other than that, there are hundreds of songs that I could do without due to over exposure but I don't think that's what you're getting at(?)
Old 08-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
"I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home"

Go home already!
They're caught in Zeno's Paradox!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:50 AM

"Brandy", by Looking Glass. Back in the 80s working at the local cinema, they had a muzak tape that kept breaking and getting sliced back together, minus a song each time. I spent an entire summer listening to a loop of "Brandy", "Wildfire", and another song I've managed to completely block. Couldn't stand those songs.

... So it was with great dismay that I watched the opening to Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Last edited by Lightray; 08-15-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I did come up with one answer, Affair of the Heart by Rick Springfield. I still think it's a good song but unfortunately I associate it with someone I shouldn't have dated. Every time I hear it, my skin starts to crawl and I have to change it.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:43 PM

Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'," not because of any particular bad memory associated with it, but because it has become so fucking overplayed.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:50 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Moderating

Moved to Cafe Society.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:00 PM

When my first cat passed away, I drove with her body up to my cottage to bury her. I was way more heartbroken than I could have imagined.

To distract myself, I had the radio on, and one song came on that really stood out for me - "Black Star" by Radiohead. It seemed to summarize my mood.

Now, I can't listen to that song without feeling the same sadness again that I felt during that drive. So I don't listen to it.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

That "Hello" song by Adele. Not due to a breakup or anything; I used to think the song was okay.

Then, we had an ice storm that basically shut down the city, and I was called out at midnight to rescue some friends who were stranded. Took me two hours to get from one side of the city to the other. And in that time, I would wager that the radio station played "Hello" about 847 times. The roads were so horrible and slippery, I didn't want to take my eyes off them, or my hands off the wheel to change the station. I just white-knuckled it, gritted my teeth, and swore revenge on my stupid, stupid friends. And then, of course, I had to get back home.

I don't want to hear that song ever again.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:38 PM

Aerosmith's "I Don't Want to Miss A Thing." When it came out, everyone in the world except for me thought it was overplayed, but I absolutely could not get enough of it, loved the song to pieces, it was my favorite song ever all through high school. Well, finally I loved it so much that I myself overplayed it. Now, I think I technically have the song somewhere, but I never listen to it anymore.

ETA: Actually, upon re-reading the OP, we were supposed to mention a song we have bad feelings about. So this probably doesn't qualify.

Last edited by The wind of my soul; 08-15-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodyharmonius View Post
what songs do you avoid, or skip, or just not play anymore that you used to love? It doesn't have to be about romance - just any songs that were once something you listened to on repeat, but now have bad feelings about.
The most common one I skip past if it comes up is "Torn Between Two Lovers" by Mary MacGregor. When it was popular while I was young, it had no personal meaning for me. But having had someone cheat on you tends to sour you upon songs justifying cheating on your lover. :/
Old 08-15-2017, 04:36 PM

Yesterday was finishing up the White Album on the car stereo. Got While My Guitar Gently Weeps in my head. Not the best song on the album, but a whole lot better than most of the stuff that gets stuck in there. At least it's not Revolution 9.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:53 PM

Oops, wrong thread. This was supposed to go into the earworm thread.

Sorry.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malthus View Post

Now, I can't listen to that song without feeling the same sadness again that I felt during that drive. So I don't listen to it.
A recent article has me thinking about my propensity to not only accept my bad moods, but embrace and seek out what could be called "bad mood music" which I've always used as a drug to help me regulate my moods.

I don't have a B17, but any saccharine posi- unironical madlads popping Mentos out on the town music depresses the hell out of me. Every time.

Though its possible I'm an addict who's only prolonging the problem, sad and angry music makes me feel better, and I'm enjoying watching the pendulum of contemporary pop culture seem to be swinging back towards me.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:06 PM

I have to rescind my earlier post; I hated those two songs on first exposure, so they don't count.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

"Every Picture Tells a Story" by Rod Stewart. The place where I worked had a tape with Christmas promotions one December. It ran all day and, to make it seem like a radio, it had one song on it. One song all day. I'm allergic to repetition, so that drove me crazy.

In a different way, Orleans' "Still the One." It was "our song" and it's about a long-time relationship. My marriage imploded in a manner that crushed me emotionally, and I couldn't listen to the song without those feelings overwhelming me. Luckily I eventually realized the song was about my remarriage, so I can listen to it again.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
In a different way, Orleans' "Still the One." It was "our song" and it's about a long-time relationship. My marriage imploded in a manner that crushed me emotionally, and I couldn't listen to the song without those feelings overwhelming me. Luckily I eventually realized the song was about my remarriage, so I can listen to it again.
The guy who wrote it, who was later in Congress, also eventually divorced the woman whom it was about.

When I was 16, I thought Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was the greatest piece of music ever recorded, and now I cannot stand to hear anything from it.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:50 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member

"Your Wildest Dreams" by the Moody Blues. I like the song well enough, but I spent a summer in the mid-80s painting college apartments, which meant I spent way more time alone in my own head than I probably should have. For a brief time during that period, I was convinced I'd lost interest in my boyfriend at the time - for absolutely no reason. Nothing had changed. He'd gone home for the summer, I wasn't interested in anybody else, I just had this weird depressive period where I was convinced we were done. That song played a *lot* during that time, so I associate it with it. The first week or so after he came back to school was awkward, but gradually the feeling faded and everything returned to normal.

We're still together, married coming up on 29 years, so I guess it was no biggie. Still don't like to listen to that song, though. :P
Old 08-16-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
Melody, am I wrong, or haven't you been gone a long time?! Well, welcome back! (to my consciousness, if nothing else.) I've missed you!

I'm trying to answer your music question, but truthfully I'm burned out on so much of what I once loved, I can't think of a specific one right now.
Yes, I've been gone for a bit - y'know, life stuff. But I thought I'd dip my toes back in the pool and see how the water is :-) Thanks for the welcome back!

And so sorry to hear about your burn out. **hugs**
Old 08-16-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightray View Post
"Brandy", by Looking Glass. Back in the 80s working at the local cinema, they had a muzak tape that kept breaking and getting sliced back together, minus a song each time. I spent an entire summer listening to a loop of "Brandy", "Wildfire", and another song I've managed to completely block. Couldn't stand those songs.

... So it was with great dismay that I watched the opening to Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
I'm so sorry! I loved Brandy back in the day, mostly because I grew up around the ocean as a young kid and it made me feel all "I know what they are talking about" and as much as I loved GoGV2 - I was kind of "oh no - welcome to Overplayed Again, Volume 2. "

But I loved David Hasselhoff's closing number, and the new video.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The wind of my soul View Post
ETA: Actually, upon re-reading the OP, we were supposed to mention a song we have bad feelings about. So this probably doesn't qualify.
No - this totally works. It doesn't have to be a break-up song, just a song that over time became something you don't want to hear anymore for reasons.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
I have to rescind my earlier post; I hated those two songs on first exposure, so they don't count.
Rescind nothing!!

But feel free to come up with an alternate answer.
Old 08-16-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
"Your Wildest Dreams" by the Moody Blues. - - -

We're still together, married coming up on 29 years, so I guess it was no biggie. Still don't like to listen to that song, though. :P
Congrats on 29! Here's to 29 more!!

It's weird how sometimes even though the reason you started disliking a song is no longer valid, the bad taste still stays in your ear - even though that metaphor sounds awkard. Maybe I should do some ear tasting today.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Oooh, here's one, Fields of Gold by Sting.

When my current husband and I married, he talked me in to having a fairly traditional wedding, though I'd rather have just eloped. I do not like being the center of attention.

So anyway, I had to plan this wedding and there's this thing where you dance and everyone looks at you. (I also don't dance). Instead of choosing a song I really liked, or one that was meaningful to us (there wasn't one), I chose Fields of Gold as being a slow song that we both found tolerable.

And they played it. And we danced. And danced and danced and danced and everyone's eyes burned holes in my skin, and halfway through the song I convinced my husband to quit and let us go sit down.

Naturally the DJ and everyone else was bewildered, and after about a month the DJ put on some other song and other people started dancing.

I am such a dork. Fields of Gold...shudder
Old 08-18-2017, 05:37 PM

Dung Bettle - I can definitely see how that would suck.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:09 PM

I'm old. I don't have time to hear Bob Seger's 'Turn the Page' or 'Free Bird' by Skynyrd. I could go without hearing them again. Same with 'American Pie'. Jesus, just shoot me.
And ANYTHING by Bonnie Tyler should be erased from the collective memory of mankind.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:35 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I could do without hearing B-17 again, but I'm always happy to listen to ME 262.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I could do without hearing B-17 again, but I'm always happy to listen to ME 262.
These Fokkers were all flyng Messerschmitts!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:39 PM

In the summertime by mungo jerry
anything by Led Zeppelin
Going up the Country" - Canned Heat
Old 08-29-2017, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Going up the Country" - Canned Heat
Am I the only one who thinks that guy sounds like Kermit the Frog?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Q View Post
Good catch! Even though Kermit can carry a tune.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:30 AM

Stars on 45
Old 09-04-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake_Plissken View Post
(snip)
And ANYTHING by Bonnie Tyler should be erased from the collective memory of mankind.
Soooo.....she should be eclipsed? Like, totally?
Old 09-05-2017, 12:10 AM

Back when listening to the radio in the car was a thing, I often had to invoke my own personal "Bob Seger rule" and quickly change the station.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:25 AM

"Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro
Old 09-05-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Q View Post
When I was a kid, I thought he sounded like Ernie from, "Bert & Ernie" fame.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

(Believe It Or Not ) I'm Walking On Air by Joey Scarbury.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

It is my conviction that the Pina Colada song should never be played again, from right now until the end of eternity.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Prosequi View Post
Soooo.....she should be eclipsed? Like, totally?
Just her heart.

::Maniacal mad doctor laugh::
Old 09-05-2017, 12:50 PM

Free Bird\Sweet Home Alabama

They are decent songs, but I have just heard them too many times. Far, far too many.

Southern rock was very big where I grew p.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:11 PM

before k-earth 101 in la added 80s music to its list of oldies I figured out they used a tape/disc because the same songs would play at exactly the same time every day

they would change the tape about once a month but I had that figured out too ....

and my favorite song back in the day was "don't put another dime in the jukebox " by new wave/punk band the flirts as a middle figner to pat benatars song which apparently one of the group heard waayy to much of as a waitress in a bar ...
Old 09-09-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona Lott View Post
It is my conviction that the Pina Colada song should never be played again, from right now until the end of eternity.
This record frequently shows up near the top of "Worst Songs Ever" lists. I don't care for it much, and I don't think it's any good. But I don't understand all the intense hatred.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Can I just say that every time I read this thread's title, the Olivia Newton-John worms into my head. Argh!
Old 09-09-2017, 09:29 AM

Slightly off-topic:

Thank Og that I avoided this syndrome. I worked in our high school's Student Union, where we had one album that automatically played over and over. We'd often put in long hours on a Friday, setting up for school dances and then staying late to clean after the band finally packed up. So we'd hear the same album multiple times a day. For two years.

So glad that I never got sick of Abbey Road.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:42 AM

Dunno the name but it has a line that says "Take the ribbon from your hair." Some country dirge.
I was waitressing in the 70's in Colorado. Once a month the real cowboys would come down off the range and work hard getting drunk in the bar. I usually worked in the restaurant, but it was all hands on deck for cowboy invasion. And whatever the fuck that song is they would play it over and over and over.............................. And play grabass with all of us waitress.
And they were always the SHITTIEST tippers in the world. Hate that song.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
(Believe It Or Not ) I'm Walking On Air by Joey Scarbury.
C'mon, man! That's a good song! If you can just draw yourself by your bootstraps and force yourself to listen to it, you could be, I don't know, like the greatest American hero or something.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DummyGladHands View Post
Dunno the name but it has a line that says "Take the ribbon from your hair." Some country dirge.
I was waitressing in the 70's in Colorado. Once a month the real cowboys would come down off the range and work hard getting drunk in the bar. I usually worked in the restaurant, but it was all hands on deck for cowboy invasion. And whatever the fuck that song is they would play it over and over and over.............................. And play grabass with all of us waitress.
And they were always the SHITTIEST tippers in the world. Hate that song.
"Help Me Make it Through the Night" Probably 27,015 different covers.