Old 09-19-2017, 08:25 AM

I will reset your memory on three television shows; it'll be like your first time seeing them.

I see comments all the time about how people wish they could watch a show again like it was the first time and that they're envious of people seeing it newly.
Well, suppose I (or a genie) could do that for you.

What three shows would you pick to have wiped from your memory and wake up tomorrow not having remember seeing them at all? You would know/remember that you had seen them before (AKA, you'd be aware that you had your memory taken away) and had made this deal, though...just not remember the actual episodes of the show until you watched them all again.

Last edited by Idle Thoughts; 09-19-2017 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:52 AM

• Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- I've seen the entire series once and many episodes a number of times, but it'd be great to see it all again, from the first episode to the last, for the first time.
  • The Andy Griffith Show -- This is my comfort show above all others; I've seen all of the episodes lots and lots of times, and I'd appreciate not knowing the scripts by heart. Part of the comfort of the show is that I know what Andy and Barney are going to say and do, of course, but it'd be so much fun to watch it anew.
  • The ITV production of Jeeves and Wooster -- the world of P.G. Wodehouse, brought to life by Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie. I'd be familiar with the stories themselves because they're adapted from the books, but seeing them on the screen for the first time would be a welcome experience.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

I don't understand why anyone would take this deal. Seeing a TV show (or reading a book, or whatever) for the first time is indeed a special experience... but I've already had that experience. The only way to give me the experience again is to take away the experience I already have, and so the net result is the same: One experience. And it also takes time that I could have spent experiencing a new work, and getting another new experience added to what I already have.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:44 AM

It would be interesting to watch Game of Thrones again with no knowledge of the books.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

The Good Place -- just to get the thrill of getting to the twist.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 AM

One of the first shows I actually made a point of watching (back in the days before demand) was Miami Vice. Loved it. However, I rewatched an episode or two recently and it's aged horribly.

So I'm guessing most of the shows that would bring you the same joy would be recent ones.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I don't understand why anyone would take this deal. Seeing a TV show (or reading a book, or whatever) for the first time is indeed a special experience... but I've already had that experience. The only way to give me the experience again is to take away the experience I already have, and so the net result is the same: One experience. And it also takes time that I could have spent experiencing a new work, and getting another new experience added to what I already have.
I tend to agree with this, unless you'd want to change the experience... take away the memory of watching a show jumbled and out of order so that you could watch it through in order, for instance. I might be tempted to nominate "Star Trek TNG" for that reason, though I was following it much more closely in order after season 3.
Join today!
Old 09-19-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would take this deal. Seeing a TV show (or reading a book, or whatever) for the first time is indeed a special experience... but I've already had that experience.
I agree. I recently began re-watching The Sopranos from the beginning. Knowing what happens actually adds to the experience.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
The experience in the moment is better than the memory of the experience.

It's not about the sum of experiences, it's about the moment itself.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:43 PM

I wonder how it would effect other things. For instance wiping Star Trek (TOS), it would seem corny watching it today due to the cheesy special effects of that time and has the chance of not being interesting today as it was back then when I first saw them. However it is what got me interested in watching TNG and so on and makes me look forward to Discovery (and to a lesser extend The Orville). But take away TOS, is taking away my foundation of being a trekkie, and perhaps I would lose interest in the series.

No, I will just obey the temporal prime directive and not change the time line.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

The experience in the moment is nothing but the memory of the experience.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:30 PM

ER, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I've got work to do, and there's tons of shows out there that I haven't seen that are supposed to be awesome, like The Wire. So why the feck do I want memories of stuff I cherish deleted, just so I can see it again? Besides, what if I think it sucks the 2nd time around?

Now, wipe my memories of useless junk I still carry around, like the theme songs to F Troop and My Mother the Car and you've got a deal.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM

I watched M*A*S*H the first time through the eyes of a child. There are several episodes that I can't see as funny or "deep" because my original impressions get in the way. I also watched it in re-runs more often than not, so I never saw it develop as a series in chronological order. I'd be interested to watch the whole thing clean, as an adult.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:46 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan View Post
I've got work to do, and there's tons of shows out there that I haven't seen that are supposed to be awesome, like The Wire. So why the feck do I want memories of stuff I cherish deleted, just so I can see it again? Besides, what if I think it sucks the 2nd time around?

Now, wipe my memories of useless junk I still carry around, like the theme songs to F Troop and My Mother the Car and you've got a deal.
"The end of the Civil War was near when quite accidentally, a hero who sneezed abruptly seized retreat and reversed it to victory."

Bastard. Now I'll be singing that under my breath for the rest of the day.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
"The end of the Civil War was near when quite accidentally, a hero who sneezed abruptly seized retreat and reversed it to victory."

Abruptly sneezed! As a child I always wondered what a broken sneeze was.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:57 PM

If miniseries are allowed I might nominate Smiley's People (made 1982, starring Sir Alec Guiness), which, like many BBC programs, can be watched on YouTube. I've enjoyed it several times. Like John le Carré's novels it is more a series of well-written vignettes than a straightforward spy story. It was a sequel to the 1979 Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (also starring Guiness), which I liked much less and only watched once.

Any other Smiley's People fans?
Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
The experience in the moment is nothing but the memory of the experience.
Nice assertion.

The physiological mechanisms by which short and long term memory operate are distinct, and the emotional impact of an experience is different from the emotional impact of a memory of an experience.

Do you really feel the same while you're doing something than when you remember doing it years later?

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 09-19-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:04 PM

Snatch this sitcom from my hand.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
I tend to agree with this, unless you'd want to change the experience... take away the memory of watching a show jumbled and out of order so that you could watch it through in order, for instance. I might be tempted to nominate "Star Trek TNG" for that reason, though I was following it much more closely in order after season 3.

Oh, yeah, this. My classic example is Firefly. The pilot episode as aired by Fox is completely different from the intended pilot as found in the DVDs, and the original pilot sets up some of the later conflicts that seemed to come out of the blue in the original airing.

I'd love to see it all again, in the order Joss Whedon intended, foreshadowing included, without knowing anything about the remainder of the series ahead of time. I suspect the show would feel quite different.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:13 PM

Lost.

Not because I want to watch it again, but I want to forget that I WASTED MY TIME only to find out it was as I suspected all along. GAAAAHHHH!

I'm still a little piqued about that one.

ETA:

I'll second Firefly because that was a damn good show.

I can't think of a third.

Last edited by Brown Eyed Girl; 09-19-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Oh yeah, three.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

The older I get, the more memory fades. I expect that in ten years it will all be new to me. Win!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

I'm not asserting that the memory feels the same as the original experience. I'm asserting that the original experience has no existence at all outside of the context of the memory of it. If something happens that you have no memory of at all, then you have no experience of it.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
I watched M*A*S*H the first time through the eyes of a child. There are several episodes that I can't see as funny or "deep" because my original impressions get in the way. I also watched it in re-runs more often than not, so I never saw it develop as a series in chronological order. I'd be interested to watch the whole thing clean, as an adult.
This is a fantastic choice. I don't think I started watching it regularly until the Col. Potter/BJ years; the rest I caught in re-runs for years after. In addition, I was just a bit too young to get the full impact of a few of the episodes. Would love to be able to start from the beginning with a completely clean slate and my much older brain now.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:35 PM

I'd like to have Star Trek: Next Gen wiped from my memory, and then re-watch the episodes again. They might be a little dated to modern sensibilities, but I really would binge watch them, and try to see what's going to happen next. The episodes were very compelling, in rerun, and syndication. There was this time when Next Gen was on PBS. The show would run, Picard would face a serious challenge, the screen would fade to black for commercial, ... then brighten right back into the episode. Star Trek freebase. 'sa hellava drug.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:45 PM

I dislike Game of Thrones and Lost so if the few episodes I watched were deleted I would probably be, on the whole, a bit happier. Add I love Lucy and I wouldn't be unhappy those episodes I'd seen I never remembered. Maybe if I watched them again, I might have a different view and enjoy them?
Old 09-19-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not asserting that the memory feels the same as the original experience. I'm asserting that the original experience has no existence at all outside of the context of the memory of it. If something happens that you have no memory of at all, then you have no experience of it.
Do you really feel the same while you're doing something than when you remember doing it years later?

I don't. I think most people don't. I would be very surprised if you do. So, there is some difference between experiencing something in the present vs further in the past.

Last edited by iamthewalrus(:3=; 09-19-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:56 PM

Batman, The Time Tunnel, and The Rat Patrol. I'd like to be 11 years old again.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
That's a good one. Same here.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

LOST

Battlestar Galactica (2004)

The Walking Dead

I admit the Walking Dead is going on too long, but these three shows have been my best experience watching TV. I was blown away by all of them in different ways and would love to experience that again.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
Abruptly sneezed! As a child I always wondered what a broken sneeze was.
This is so not PC!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4BvF_sb3Y

I love it!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post

try this then:

Well, you all may think my story
Is more fiction than it's fact
But believe it or not my mother dear
Decided she'd come back

As a car
Old 09-19-2017, 09:11 PM

All in the Family, for reasons similar to those who want to first view MASH as an adult.

Lost. This was a special TV event for me, and I never had a problem with the ending.

Frasier. Just a brilliant show with so many pleasures.

mmm
Old 09-19-2017, 09:24 PM

A good many shows that I enjoyed in my youth I would find horribly clichéd now. I discovered this by seeing old episodes of I Dream of Jeannie, Get Smart and, yea, even The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour. I am not the same person I was when I watched them first.

Nevertheless, I'd go with:

The Twilight Zone. Rediscovering the twist endings on some of those would be grand.

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (The one with Elijah Wood.) I saw that just last year, so enjoying unraveling its quirky plot again would be a certainty.

The Carol Burnett Show. The company of actors still crack me up, especially Tim Conway.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 PM

Since we agree that experiencing something in the moment is different than remembering it, how is the TV situation different than the following, other than the intensity of the experience:

Suppose you are only allowed to have sex once. A genie comes to you and says he can erase your experience, and then you get to have sex again. Do you say "why would I do that, I already have a memory of it? I'll be right back to where I am now in an hour!" Or, do you go have sex?
Old 09-19-2017, 10:01 PM

I sort of had that experience recently (with a TV show, not the sex thing Snarky Kong talked about). I watched on DVD a single-season series from fifty years ago, specifically "Coronet Blue". An interesting experience. The episodes were uneven in quality, which is often the case. Also amusing to see some actors at the start of their careers. I had not, of course, seen any of the shows since their original airdate.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Lost. This was a special TV event for me, and I never had a problem with the ending.
I agree entirely. Just did a re-watch via Netflix. I love every second(well, almost) and have no issues with the final episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (The one with Elijah Wood.) I saw that just last year, so enjoying unraveling its quirky plot again would be a certainty.
Thank you! This was my fourth pick, but I held back on mentioning it because it is so recent and so short. But, yes, it was amazing and I would love to go back.

I recommend it to everyone.

Season two comes out soon! I hope it matches the first one in quality.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:54 AM

There's only one. Farscape.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:43 AM

The Honeymooners

Soundstage
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundstage_(TV_series)

Monty Python (ETA: Fawlty Towers)

Last edited by jerez; 09-20-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I don't think I'd actually take the deal as stated, but I can see its appeal for a few specific things. It would be nice to be able to see something like Babylon 5 without knowing what's going to happen but without having to wait years for all of the episodes to come out and missing some episodes due to pre-DVR issues. Other story arc shows could work the same way. You can also remove bad context from a show this way. Some people have mentioned that they can't get into part of a show because they first watched it as a kid and can't make themselves like episodes their kid-self didn't understand. Other people may have watched a show with a now-hated ex, or had something bad happen while watching the show that sticks in their memory of it and would rather watch it 'clean'.

I think if the thread is trying to get 'what shows would you want to watch fresh', it would be better to change the reset. Make it so you back up the memories, then remove them from your brain, then restore them after you watch the show. That way you're only looking at 'would you like to see this show fresh' instead of 'are you willing to get rid of your old memories of the show to see it fresh'. (For example I wouldn't actually want to get rid of B5 memories because I watched the series with a friend who's dead now, and I'd lose a lot of memory of time we hung out if I got rid of the memories of the show).
Old 09-20-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerez View Post
The Honeymooners

Soundstage

Monty Python (ETA: Fawlty Towers)
You mean soundstage the PBS concert series? What wold be the purpose of forgetting the first time you saw the performance of some music?
Old 09-20-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
You mean soundstage the PBS concert series?
Yes, he/she does:

The final parenthesis has to be there for a link to work. It gets cut off because of some glitch in the site's programming.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:04 PM

I would love to take this deal.
It would be great to get to re-experience the first season of The Newsroom. To see the presumptive star of the series, in the first moments of the series, possibly experience hallucinations- maybe even a psychotic break? To hear a public figure go on a rant and attack “Sorority Girl” without knowing what is going to happen in episode ten? Yes to experience that anew would be vastly different than re-watching it now. To experience the many awkward moments in the first episode without knowing how they would play out later would be a genuine treat. The only thing I would want to know going in was the production note that Tom Sedousky is playing what was originally two different characters merged into one for cost reasons. It explains why he changes from bad guy to good guy as the script requires.

It seems to me that those of you who refuse the offer want your viewing to be spoiled (by your own memory). If you move this into the realm of movies, I cannot believe anyone would rather watch The Sixth Sense knowing the big reveal (although it seems everyone on this board saw through the movie as soon as Bruce Willis reappeared- for my part, I suggested that possibility and was told by my companion who had seen it previously that was not the case. It did keep me from looking closely and I arrived at the truth when the director intended and it was a very powerful emotional reaction.)

I guess I would take the deal only for very exceptional television experiences. For example, I never saw Firefly during broadcast and bought the disks as a result of comments made on this board. I liked it but was a bit underwhelmed based upon the praise I had heard heaped upon it. In that instance, I like the comfort of knowing what is coming; there are no moments that shocked or awed me. (In fairness, I knew before the first frame that Joss did not value human life the way other series did. Inara’s female client was the biggest reveal I can remember in the whole series.)

I will post this and try to think of two more things I would like to see without my knowledge of the series.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:19 PM

If we go back a few years, two great series (from the same production company I believe) are The Andy Griffith Show, and I Love Lucy. As a kid I thought Lucy was a hoot and Andy was a bit boring and preachy. Now I tend to value Andy greater and see Lucy as a silly clown. If those two shows were on every Wednesday at 8:00 7:00 central, I would want to remember Andy so any stinker would fit into a larger context, but would like Lucy to be brand new to me. If the slapstick is fresh and amusing, great! If it is a little juvenile, it is no worse than Man with a Plan (or Kevin Can Wait, or Mom, or……)
Old 09-20-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary Name View Post
It seems to me that those of you who refuse the offer want your viewing to be spoiled (by your own memory). If you move this into the realm of movies, I cannot believe anyone would rather watch The Sixth Sense knowing the big reveal
You're missing an important part of the offer - you lose your existing memories of the movie. It's not someone choosing "I'd rather watch Sixth Sense knowing the ending", it's "I'd rather keep my memory of watching Sixth Sense without knowing the ending than lose my memory of it, and watch it again to get a different memory of watching Sixth Sense without knowing the ending that I can't compare to the original experience because part of the offer made it vanish".

Quote:
I liked it but was a bit underwhelmed based upon the praise I had heard heaped upon it.
FYI, I feel the same way about Firefly, and I first saw it back in the day. It was an enjoyable series, but I can see why really weird, internally inconsistent setting might put people off. I certainly would have liked to see more episodes, but I'm not surprised it didn't catch on that well and don't get the 'cancelling Firefly was the Greatest Tragedy EVAR' meme.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I don't understand why anyone would take this deal.
I would take this deal to watch Firefly in order. The first episode I saw had a significant spoiler for all the other episodes. I would have really like to see it unfold as intended.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Star Trek DS9 is the only one I would pick. I think it was the best of all the Star Treks and I think it's aged better than the other Star Treks. I was also going to say Seinfeld, but I think it probably hasn't aged well.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:30 PM

I seem to have a self-resetting memory for TV shows. "Have I seen this? I don't think so." 20 minutes in. "Oh wait, I know what's going to happen. There will be a car chase, Rockford will get beat up, and he'll end up not getting paid."

Hey, I can hide my own Easter eggs.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I feel that way about Upstairs, Downstairs. I watched it with my parents when I was a really small child, mostly because it was on from 8:00-8:45, and my bedtime was 8:15, and it was pre-VCR. Neither of my parents wanted to miss any of it, so they let me watch it quietly on the couch, and then go straight to bed. I was fascinated by it, and really liked some of the characters. I followed the story in a this happened, then this happened way, and but I didn't get much deeper that was going on. Something in my baby ape brain knew it was really good, though. When I was about 12, I read the books that were based on the series. Then a couple of years later, Masterpiece Theatre ran like, 5 episodes of it. When I was 20, the local PBS station decided to run the whole thing. By then I had a VCR, and I had my brother record it, because I was at Gallaudet. I managed to see the first 5 or 6 episodes, then when I was home for winter break, binge-watched it (before that term existed).

I kind of saw it for the first time when I was 20, and kind of not. I'd read the books, and I remembered a surprising lot from when I was 4, 5 & 6.

Nevertheless, I would like to see the whole thing with fresh eyes as an adult.

I can't think of any other show I'd take the deal on, though. A lot of other shows I liked were part of my development, and some I liked because of the age at which I saw them. One Day at a Time was very important to me when I was 11, 12 & 13. I have watched it in reruns now, and while the part of my brain that remembers being in intermediate school gets a tickle out of seeing them again, I know that if I were seeing them for the first time now, I'd probably not be a regular watcher.

It might be fun to see Fawlty Towers new, but then, it still makes me laugh in reruns, and what would I have enjoyed back when I saw it the first time? Same for Law & Order. Something has to be that experience I had in the 90s and 2000s.

I'm going to stick with just Upstairs, Downstairs.

ETA: Do I have the choice of forgetting I ever watched The Love Boat, and then not watching it again?

Last edited by RivkahChaya; 09-20-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
I seem to have a self-resetting memory for TV shows. "Have I seen this? I don't think so." 20 minutes in. "Oh wait, I know what's going to happen. There will be a car chase, Rockford will get beat up, and he'll end up not getting paid."

Hey, I can hide my own Easter eggs.
I loved The Rockford Files back in the day, and I remember that episode! It always makes me think of that one episode of Gilligan’s Island when they almost got off the island but Gilligan did something that ruined the plan at the last moment.