Old 07-23-2016, 06:55 PM

New Star Trek has a title: Star Trek Discovery.

And here is the new Star Ship: Link is a tweet with the video in it.

Very cool. Looks like a pre production photo I saw somewhere when they were redesigning the Enterprise. Don't remember if it was for the movie or when they were first making TNG. It's like a cross between a Federation ship and a Klingon ship.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:30 PM

Interesting tone to it. The ship looks a bit more serious.

Any idea in what timeframe the new series will be? I assume the universe will be the TV series universe rather than the reboot movies. Or will it be a third ST universe?

Just realized the abbreviation with be STD. Okay, probably ST: D, but that gets you a smiley.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:45 PM

The asteroid base seems to imply something stealth, covert, black-ops, rogue about the setting.

Maybe we're finally getting to the corner of the Federation that comes into play when Mr. Nice Guy gets his lights punched out.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Barbarian View Post
The asteroid base seems to imply something stealth, covert, black-ops, rogue about the setting.

Maybe we're finally getting to the corner of the Federation that comes into play when Mr. Nice Guy gets his lights punched out.
I theorized it was a lost/construction abandoned TOS-era ship that has been refitted.

However the name of the ship I would think would be a little less placid in that situation....unless the Feds have become anti-exploration and the ship is being stolen by those who want to be less xenophobic.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 07-23-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 PM

Nothing concrete has been released but the two biggest rumors are that it's set during the TOS Movie era or the 22nd/Early 23rd Century after Enterprise but before TOS in the early days of the Federation. They start filming in September so casts will be revealed next month so by then we will probably know for sure.

ETA: Also, and this is very important, it is looking like Fandom is settling on DSC as the official three letter abbreviation

Last edited by Quimby; 07-23-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:06 PM
BANNED

What it looks like is Ralph McQuarrie's redesigned (but ultimately unused) Enterprise from Star Trek: Phase II, the new TV series that was turned into ST:TMP...
Old 07-23-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants View Post
What it looks like is Ralph McQuarrie's redesigned (but ultimately unused) Enterprise from Star Trek: Phase II, the new TV series that was turned into ST:TMP...
That was the exact image I vaguely remembered in the OP. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Here's their chance to make Trek good again. I have to go all the way back to DS9 to find Trek I like. This looks....promising.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:44 PM

Wow, that is some terrible CGI. It looks like they rendered it on an early 2000's era computer. I miss the days of models and practical effects. You can't put that starship in a museum, that's for sure.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by levdrakon View Post
Any idea in what timeframe the new series will be?
Ship's registration number is NCC-1031. This would suggest that it's earlier than Kirk's NCC-1701, but quite a bit after Archer.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Or they're just incorporating McQuarrie's art beyond the ship itself.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:39 AM

I'm sorry, but that's a horrible design. It looks like it was slapped together the day before the deadline by someone who's just barely progressed beyond simple geometric shapes in 3ds Max.

Seriously, was this made with the intent of making the LEGO-tie in as easy to assemble as possible? What was the inspiration there, a run-over traffic cone?

I mean, what was the design process here? You got your basic saucer section, the nacelles---no surprises there. For the rest---well, why not a triangle? Triangles are nice. ...And done!

The only explanation I can come up with is that they deliberately wanted to distance themselves from the new movie-Enterprise's excessively styled all-curves design, but there's gotta be some middle ground here...
Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Charter Member

It reminds me of early Klingon designs.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:54 AM

Looks like it might not be the final design:

Quote:
When Trekmovie.com asked Kadin if the teaser for Star Trek: Discovery featured the final design of the ship, music, and logo, she laughed and said “NO! I was surprised Bryan didn’t say that, actually. I mean, we had three weeks to throw that together. We wanted to show fans…we’re super-excited by the score that this amazing composer, Fil Eisler, threw together as an audition and he did an incredible job. The concepts of the ship are totally what we’re going for and they’ll be honed up until, I think, the day we deliver.”
So the reason it looks like it's been thrown together on a tight deadline apparently is that it's been thrown together on a tight deadline. That's encouraging, but then again, that last sentence gives me pause again...
Old 07-26-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
That's really fugly. I hope the final design is very different.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:33 AM

BTW, as someone who doesn't really know the details of ST tech lore, what is that thing below the saucer that looks like a combination of searchlight and jet intake? It seems to be in every design.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Do you mean the deflector?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Morris View Post
Do you mean the deflector?
Yeah, I guess so. I didn't even know it had a name. So that's what put up the shields? Was it a spherical shield?
Old 07-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
Yeah, I guess so. I didn't even know it had a name. So that's what put up the shields? Was it a spherical shield?
Originally it created a deflector field forward to protect the ship as it moved at high speeds. Later it became your all-purpose device to channel any form of energy real or made up to do anything possible or impossible .

Last edited by JRDelirious; 07-26-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:07 PM

Ah, thanks for the detailed explanation. I)
Old 07-27-2016, 06:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
Originally it created a deflector field forward to protect the ship as it moved at high speeds. Later it became your all-purpose device to channel any form of energy real or made up to do anything possible or impossible .
Yeah, on the original model from the 60s show it was an actual shallow, parabolic 'dish' mounted separately on the front of the lower hull. I don't ever remember the original series ever showing any kind of special effects coming from it (unless they re-did it in one of the 'remastered' episodes).

When the ship was redesigned for the first time for ST:TMP* it was changed to a more modern, built-in, illuminated, multi-purpose 'beam emitter' of some kind, and that has continued in all subsequent ship designs.

*technically that's the Enterprise-A but they were identical....
Old 07-27-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Yeah, on the original model from the 60s show it was an actual shallow, parabolic 'dish' mounted separately on the front of the lower hull. I don't ever remember the original series ever showing any kind of special effects coming from it (unless they re-did it in one of the 'remastered' episodes).
Ironically, the image you're using to illustrate the original physical model from the 1960's is a CGI virtual model from a remastered episode.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Ship's registration number is NCC-1031. This would suggest that it's earlier than Kirk's NCC-1701, but quite a bit after Archer.
Well, let's not forget the annoyingly contradictory, Kirk-era USS Constellation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus Est View Post
Ironically, the image you're using to illustrate the original physical model from the 1960's is a CGI virtual model from a remastered episode.
Spoil sport...
Old 09-15-2016, 11:24 PM

And... now it's delayed until May 2017. Which I guess isn't too surprising since they have no cast yet, the ship is apparently still being finalized, and scripts for only the first few episodes are completed.

Since the series was first announced in late 2015, what have they been doing all of 2016? I know Bryan Fuller is also show runner on another show coming up, but maybe he should have stepped aside or delegated some things if it was going to be this much (literally) of a show-stopper.
Old 09-16-2016, 12:05 AM

is it possible that not enough people are showing an interest in signing up for their new network and they're trying to buy more time to get people interested? The movie did not do that well and they may have been hoping for a large enthusiastic group of trekkies that is not materializing.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicsage View Post
is it possible that not enough people are showing an interest in signing up for their new network and they're trying to buy more time to get people interested? The movie did not do that well and they may have been hoping for a large enthusiastic group of trekkies that is not materializing.
Yeah, I doubt that there's anyone who wants to sign up to a single-channel subscription service. Why would you, when you can get Netflix, Hulu, iTunes, and Prime each with enough content to keep you busy for the rest of your life, even if they never upload another thing?

Not that it makes sense to even bother launching CBS All Access, but it does at least make more sense to launch the service a few months before Star Trek and see if anyone at all comes to try it out. If not, they can launch Star Trek on regular TV a few months later instead of putting it on All Access and discovering just how powerful the force of bittorrent can be when you try to compete with a non-competitive product and lock a major title into it.

Last edited by Sage Rat; 09-16-2016 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any idea in what timeframe the new series will be? I assume the universe will be the TV series universe rather than the reboot movies.
Quote:
Looks like I guessed right. According to Wikipedia, it's "set 10 years before the events of the original Star Trek series"
Old 09-17-2016, 11:38 AM

When they hadn't announced a cast yet I figured a January release was impossible so I was not surprised at the delay. But they are working on it. They showed a Brief video at the Star trek Discovery panel at Star Trek Mission New York.and it showed some clips of the new ship and something that looks like a pink Andorian. these were different from the pictures and videos they had already released online.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Looks like I guessed right. According to Wikipedia, it's "set 10 years before the events of the original Star Trek series"
"These... are the voyages of the starship Discovery. Its three to ten year mission: vamp until that goddamned Kirk comes on the scene, visit places without anyone remembering so Kirk can get the credit, keep the galaxy safe so Kirk can save it, and very quietly go many places Kirk, Picard and Janeway will go later without leaving so much as a smudge on the canon record."

ETA: Or be forever doomed to the tsunami of fancry, "That's not how it happened!"

ETA2: Unless it's after the Kelvin incident. Hmm.

Last edited by Amateur Barbarian; 09-17-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:22 PM

My personal take on registry numbers is that when Starfleet commissions a new ship class a block of registry numbers is reserved for that class. However, if that block is used up and a new, say, Miranda class is needed, it just gets any old number that's available. This theory explains both sequential and non-sequential numbers but, alas, not the Constellation.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
And here is the new Star Ship: Link is a tweet with the video in it.

Very cool. Looks like a pre production photo I saw somewhere when they were redesigning the Enterprise. Don't remember if it was for the movie or when they were first making TNG. It's like a cross between a Federation ship and a Klingon ship.
The link doesn't work for me.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

ETA2: Unless it's after the Kelvin incident. Hmm.
It has been stated it is to be set in the Prime timeline. Meaning the universe that applied to TOS/TNG.

So somewhere around Fed space there's a Lieutenant Kirk actually rising through the ranks and they may have to slap down some writers who'd want him to cameo in an Ep or two...
Old 09-17-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
The link doesn't work for me.
That link was from a couple of months ago. Here is an updated link.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

Is this still going to be streaming-only? If so, I won't see it, at least not until the Netflix DVD-by-mail service gets the season discs.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Is this still going to be streaming-only? If so, I won't see it, at least not until the Netflix DVD-by-mail service gets the season discs.
Yes, streaming only.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

Well, good luck to them in that respect. I don't think the audience will be as large as they think. There already are too many streaming services out there, each with its own "must see" programs (or at least what they hope are must see programs). No one is subscribing to all of them.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:18 AM

The first episode will air on CBS proper. After that it's All Access. Star Trek Beyond and celebrating Trek's 50th at Mission New York have rekindled my love for the franchise so they got my couple of bucks a month even though I had believed previously I wouldn't do it.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimby View Post
The first episode will air on CBS proper. After that it's All Access. Star Trek Beyond and celebrating Trek's 50th at Mission New York have rekindled my love for the franchise so they got my couple of bucks a month even though I had believed previously I wouldn't do it.
If you live outside the USA you can watch it on Netflix. They have exclusive worldwide streaming rights in 188 countries.

I personally wouldn't mind paying to see it, but from everything I've heard of their app is horrible. If they're getting $6 (with ads) or $10 (no ads), I want a decent app to use.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:55 PM

The app works fine for me. What's supposed to be the problem?

I'm not getting any ads in the "Classic" shows I've been watching.

Last edited by Peremensoe; 09-18-2016 at 10:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Yes, streaming only.
And piracy.

Canada's CBC has been apologizing up and down because twisted-up rebroadcasting rights will forever forbid them from releasing the last Tragically Hip concert in any format, ever, anywhere. I commented that they need not worry about it because it was posted at The Pirate Bay the day it aired. And so it will be with this new Star Trek series and every other series until the end of time.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRDelirious View Post
It has been stated it is to be set in the Prime timeline. Meaning the universe that applied to TOS/TNG.

So somewhere around Fed space there's a Lieutenant Kirk actually rising through the ranks and they may have to slap down some writers who'd want him to cameo in an Ep or two...
Well, they could have some gentle fun with it. "Is it Captain Blank on the line?" "No, it's his pushy aide again, a lieutenant Kirk." "Damn. get me BLANK, understand?"
Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 PM

Well, Bryan Fuller is out as show runner but will stay in at least some capacity...not the best news unfortunately.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Just realized the abbreviation with be STD. Okay, probably ST: D, but that gets you a smiley.
hehe, I'm going to go by that no matter what anyone says.
Quote:
I hate prequels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahaloth View Post
Yes, streaming only.
I can't stream a Vine video. Guess I'll wait till it's on DVD.

Last edited by Foggy; 10-26-2016 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Transpoter mishap
Old 10-26-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Note the higher bridge dome, the spikes on the Bussard collectors, and the larger sensor/deflector dish. Also, it's hard to tell, but it appears the rear ends of the warp nacelles have grids rather than domes. This model looks like the Enterprise in "The Cage."
Old 11-22-2016, 10:39 PM

So it appears that Michelle Yeoh is the first (semi?) announced cast member. Between the shuffling premiere dates, the shuffling show-runners, and the overall ad-hoc, throw something at the wall and see if it sticks approach that seems to permeate everything, I'm starting to have doubts that Steve Bannon was the right guy to turn this ship around.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganthet View Post
... turn this ship around.
So they finally found reverse?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terentii View Post
Note the higher bridge dome, the spikes on the Bussard collectors, and the larger sensor/deflector dish. Also, it's hard to tell, but it appears the rear ends of the warp nacelles have grids rather than domes. This model looks like the Enterprise in "The Cage."
Yes, well, the image file is called "USS_Enterprise,_The_Cage_(remastered)_profile_view.jpg" so I'm guessing you must be right.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:51 AM

Not promising: Fuller is essentially out of the series other than outlining the First Season arc and writing a few episodes.

Hmmm must remain positive...must remain positive...

Last edited by Quimby; 12-03-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, well, the image file is called "USS_Enterprise,_The_Cage_(remastered)_profile_view.jpg" so I'm guessing you must be right.
Yes, that would indeed appear to be the title of the link.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:06 PM

Looks like it is delayed again. No longer May but "late summer or fall"

That's okay. I would rather it be done well than fast.