Old 10-15-2017, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

drad dog: Fuck you, you smug, douchebag troll

drad dog, I've had enough. The last straw is in your "I think Tom Petty is overrated" thread when you say, in response to someone commenting that some folks might think Prince is overrated, you reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog
But no ones ever made a thread about it have they? Hmmm...
To be clear: No one started a thread about Prince being overrated. Here it is: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=791111 The OP is asking why folks hold him up so highly. YOU, however, stopped by to threadshit, oh, excuse me, "drop some supposedly heretical knowledge on folks who think they know better" where basically you came across as a three year who kept asking WHY?
"I don't like that track!!!! Prove it to me!!! Is this the track that is supposed to change my mind?!?!?? Guitarists aren't real artists anyway, and my rules matter most!!!"
No, you chucklehead, we are not here to come on bended knee bringing you tasty treats. Fucking engage in a dialogue and respect what others have to say.

But that ain't gonna happen.

As for Petty, at least you had the decency to start a separate "Prove it to me. Prove it to me. I am smugger and douchier than thou, but Prove it to me anyway" thread.

As many folks are chiming in, Petty was never on a majority's tippy top list. But he was like the Oakland Raiders in the 1970's - they were your second-faves beyond your fanboy/girl team. You just kinda liked them.

However, he sold a HUGE volume of records. Gained the songwriting respect of Bob Dylan and George Harrison. Had songs that are part of the fabric of (certainly U.S.) culture from the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's. Free Fallin' will be used for some 3D holo-documentary about the U.S. in a hundred or so years when you and I will be long forgotten.

And you want me/Dopers to prove to you that he's not overrated? Fuck you. He's worthy of more respect than you, you smug douche. Petty was never my guy - I maintain four or so of his songs on guitar and rarely put on his albums - but I understand the facts of his career and respect him for it. Coming at it from that standpoint, one might choose to observe that perhaps Bob Dylan and George Harrison found a concise haiku in the best of Petty's lyrics: "She was an American Girl, raised on promises." "You think you're gonna take her away, with your money and your cocaine." "She was a good girl, crazy 'bout Elvis." We can picture these people in a phrase. What can you write that comes close to that? Petty's best songs capture a longing, an outsider's isolation and bitterness, in a way that Sting, Mr. King of Pain, can only approach with a sledgehammer.

But you would never have a conversation that led to that type of discussion because you are such a fucking smug douchebag troll.

Go away or grow up.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:45 PM

He's entitled to his opinion, but I agree he's a fucking smug douchebag troll in general.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:57 PM
Sith Mod

[Moderating]
Saying "fuck you" to other posters is a violation of the Pits language rules. Please avoid this in the future.

No warning issued.
[/quote]
Old 10-15-2017, 03:00 PM

Those threads are always just some smug dude sagely stroking his neckbeard and saying "Nuh UH!" to the responses to prove (to himself anyway) how much more enlightened he is.

People who actually care would phrase it as "what do you like about XYZ?" and then not argue that the respondents are wrong since the whole point is to learn what they think. When it's phrased as "Prove to me that XYZ is good" it's almost invariably masturbation.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
[Moderating]
Saying "fuck you" to other posters is a violation of the Pits language rules. Please avoid this in the future.

No warning issued.
Very sorry for that. This is my first pitting. Happy to retract the wording while sticking to the basic sentiment.

Last edited by WordMan; 10-15-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Very sorry for that. This is my first pitting. Happy to retract the wording while sticking to the basic sentiment.
Good to see you had a Change of Heart about that.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
Good to see you had a Change of Heart about that.
Compassion is my middle name. We can all learn. Well, except maybe for drad dog. He can only teach.
Old 10-15-2017, 03:42 PM

I was going to say You Got Lucky that Miller didn't give you a warning, but I think it's pretty rare to get one for breaking that rule.

Last edited by John Mace; 10-15-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was going to say You Got Lucky .

I see what you did there.

ETA: by the way, you're, where? Salinas? You doing okay fire-wise? My mom's in PG and she is freaked.

Last edited by WordMan; 10-15-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I see what you did there.

ETA: by the way, you're, where? Salinas? You doing okay fire-wise? My mom's in PG and she is freaked.
But did you see what I did before that?

PG = Pacific Grove? That's nowhere near the fires. Air quality around there (and the rest of the Monterey Peninsula) was terrible on Friday, but much better yesterday and today. The sunset Friday was at the same time spectacular and frighteningly eery. I'm down in the Monterey area this weekend, but I live in the South Bay-- heading back tomorrow AM.

The Bay area has a huge population, but still most everyone seems to have relatives or friends in the North Bay areas affected by the fires. And we all know that it could easily be us.

Last edited by John Mace; 10-15-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But did you see what I did before that?

PG = Pacific Grove? That's nowhere near the fires. Air quality around there (and the rest of the Monterey Peninsula) was terrible on Friday, but much better yesterday and today. The sunset Friday was at the same time spectacular and frighteningly eery. I'm down in the Monterey area this weekend, but I live in the South Bay-- heading back tomorrow AM.

The Bay area has a huge population, but still most everyone seems to have relatives or friends in the North Bay areas affected by the fires. And we all know that it could easily be us.
Yes, Pacific Grove. I've been climbing Lover's Point since I was nine.

My mom's 82; she'll need a big head start.

Nah, I know where it is, but am more speaking to being rattled. But I have friends up there who are leaving FB posts how they just got evacuated and pray for their town. So hard.

And no, no Change of Heart. I won't back down.

Last edited by WordMan; 10-15-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I try my best to avoid (but not completely so) talking about music with him, exactly for the reasons you state, and he's been that way since day one here. He's the only poster I do that with. The fact that I saw WordMan start a pit thread. Man, I never thought I'd see the day!

Last edited by pulykamell; 10-15-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 04:59 PM

Since it's inappropriate to ATMB, an open letter to the idiot subject of this thread:

Drad dog, dude. I honestly don't care if you have a scat fetish. But you really have to get away from the idea that that means that other people consider shit coming out of the ass to be sexual. Stop pulling shit out of your ass about 'pulling shit out of one's ass'.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamino Neko View Post
Since it's inappropriate to ATMB, an open letter to the idiot subject of this thread:

Drad dog, dude. I honestly don't care if you have a scat fetish. But you really have to get away from the idea that that means that other people consider shit coming out of the ass to be sexual. Stop pulling shit out of your ass about 'pulling shit out of one's ass'.
Good lord, a side-pitting! I had no idea. Okay then. drad dog, stop that, too.

Pit scope officially expanded.

puly - all I want is a nice conversation. You come in and comment on theory stuff we don't know about, you and other folks share their impressions. It's music ferfucksake. It should be the basis of fun, joyous conversation.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
[Moderating]

No warning issued.
[/QUOTE]

Just a reminder: It's 5:00 PM. He retracted the words at 3:30. It still says "drad dog: Fuck you"

Is that the way this thread is going to look?
Old 10-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post

Just a reminder: It's 5:00 PM. He retracted the words at 3:30. It still says "drad dog: Fuck you"

The mods may be busy, you butthurt factotum.

I'll miss it, but if Forget You was good enough for a Number One for Ceelo, it's good enough for a Pitting.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:40 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

For the record, we don't edit posts just because someone "retracts" them. It's going to continue to say that.

Quote:
I can pretty much guarantee it's going to look a lot worse now that you've shown up.

Last edited by Colibri; 10-15-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
For the record, we don't edit posts just because someone "retracts" them. It's going to continue to say that.

I can pretty much guarantee it's going to look a lot worse now that you've shown up.
Let me get thing straight: It is a violation to say Fuck You to someone here. It is being done on an ongoing basis now indefinitely.

But you won't change it?

So you are violating the rules as well as the OP?
Old 10-15-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Actually I'm here to clarify rules. I'm not going to participate under this title. Would you?
Old 10-15-2017, 06:03 PM

Miller's the Pit boss. I've never seen him give a warning for anything except outright hate speech or disregarding moderator instructions. He's never warned anyone for saying, "fuck you," just given a mod note. I don't expect him to change that policy any time soon. Would you feel better if he (Word Man) had stayed within the rules and told you to go fuck a cactus?

Last edited by cochrane; 10-15-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:07 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Let me get thing straight: It is a violation to say Fuck You to someone here. It is being done on an ongoing basis now indefinitely.
It was said once, and the poster received a note for it.

Quote:
But you won't change it?
I told you the policy is not to.

Quote:
No.
Charter Member

Quote:

But you won't change it?

I declare this Pitting officially a win.

If I had known it could be this hilarious, I woulda Pitted someone sooner.

Denizens, why didn't you tell me??

Quote:

But you won't change it?

You can, of course, quote the rule that says mods have to edit rule-breaking posts. Right?

Or did you jus pull that out of your ass?

Last edited by John Mace; 10-15-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 PM

*applauds*
Old 10-15-2017, 06:32 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:

Well, you did pick some pretty low-hanging fruit.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, you did pick some pretty low-hanging fruit.
It's my first pitting! I screwed up the wording! I need freakin' training wheels, I tell ya.
Old 10-15-2017, 06:56 PM

You mean I don't have to pick one song that proves to drad dog that Tom Petty was a great rocker?

Darn, I was going to select Heartbreakers' Beach Party.

Well we're gonna have a cookout
We're gonna wear muumuus
We'll have potato salad
A lot of wienies too

*It was hard deciding between "Heartbreakers Beach Party" and "Gator On The Lawn".
Old 10-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I try my best to avoid (but not completely so) talking about music with him, exactly for the reasons you state, and he's been that way since day one here. He's the only poster I do that with. The fact that I saw WordMan start a pit thread. Man, I never thought I'd see the day!
Yeah, what you and WordMan said. I canít recall anything about the poster in question other that when I see that name show up in a music thread, that thread is over.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
You mean I don't have to pick one song that proves to drad dog that Tom Petty was a great rocker?

We're gonna wear muumuus
We'll have potato salad
A lot of wienies too

*It was hard deciding between "Heartbreakers Beach Party" and "Gator On The Lawn".

you forgot The Dumbass Song *

clearly, Tom is not stupid. but he's not afraid to play a stupid person on youtube.

*don't click unless you really like Petty, there is a horrible noise for the first six seconds and that's a long time.

Last edited by JackieLikesVariety; 10-15-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:

I did-in the omnibus thread 30 minutes before you started yours.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post

We're gonna wear muumuus
We'll have potato salad
A lot of wienies too

Safe and derivative! You can hear the calculated 60s influences! Overrated!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
The mods may be busy, you butthurt factotum.

I'll miss it, but if Forget You was good enough for a Number One for Ceelo, it's good enough for a Pitting.
I learned a new word today.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Welcome brother.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLikesVariety View Post
you forgot The Dumbass Song *

clearly, Tom is not stupid. but he's not afraid to play a stupid person on youtube.

*don't click unless you really like Petty, there is a horrible noise for the first six seconds and that's a long time.
And the award for "Most Hilariously Apropos YouTube Link In History" goes to...Jackie! *crowd goes wild*
Old 10-15-2017, 10:32 PM

Jackie, if you include &=<time>s at the end of your url, it will skip to that point in the song.

So, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71Z...youtu.be&t=07s takes you past the first 6 seconds.

Heh heh, drad dog, what a maroon.

Last edited by Inner Stickler; 10-15-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: am drunk; can't type
Old 10-15-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLikesVariety View Post

And on King of the Hill. OK, Lucky wasn't that stupid, but he was somewhat dim.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Yeah, I generally avoid them for those reasons, and because I'm going to get a bunch of arguments that are bullshit distractions from what could be an interesting discussion at best. The only reliable fun in talking with them about music is to watch them expose how ignorant they are on the subjects they are most passionate about, and that got old long ago. When you do that, drad dog just tries to attack your tastes, as if their patently uninformed opinion of you is going to mean much.

Quote:
Actually I'm here to clarify rules. I'm not going to participate under this title. Would you?
No, you're here to demonstrate that you don't know how the rules work. They already seemed pretty clear to everyone else. Here's a hint: unless it's spam, your post is very likely to sit here unaltered until someone turns off the lights, with all of its wisdom and/or douchebaggery. Any other policy would put more load on the mods, and generate confusion for anyone who wasn't able to see the unaltered thread. You scoffed at your "permanent record" in your recent whiny-ass thread in ATMB, but it's real. You make it yourself with your posts.

WordMan: this thing you've started is like a boxing match. Since you're a participant, you don't get to declare victory. Unless you're of Ali's caliber, it's almost unseemly. However, you're leading on all my scorecards, and you've got to start taunting somewhere. I've never seen this nitwit land anything worth mentioning, unless it's drawing someone into actually getting a warning from reacting to their oblique stupidity. If he's fool enough to come back: keep your head down, fight your fight; don't fight his.

ETA: And I honestly like Petty as a voice actor more than I liked him as a rocker, but he still knew how to do middle of the road rock well. That's the stuff he liked to do, and even if it's not always my taste, I can't fault him for it if that's what he wanted to do. Since he went in to debt financing his own records, I don't know what evidence you're going to find that he was selling out or doing art that he didn't like.

Last edited by scabpicker; 10-15-2017 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:09 AM

you know pettys career sort of reminds me of bon jovis .... really successful early sort of fell out of style for a while and came back for the end ...
Old 10-16-2017, 02:12 AM

You aren't here to clarify rules, or you'd be asking in ATMB. You came here to read on it, and you refuse to defend yourself, which means you are admitting everyone is right. Thanks for that.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:15 AM
Sith Mod

Quote:

Yeah, pretty much.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 AM

Quote:

But you won't change it?

Now that a Pit thread is here, against you, in the Pit: You're an asshole, shithead, dumbass, imbecile who I think is quite possibly a troll (I haven't made my mind up just quite yet).

I add everyone as a friend, even if I think they're an asshat. See: octopus, Hurricane Ditka, and Okrahoma for other examples of this.

And you? One of the biggest asshats on this board. Asshat. Your opinion is usually wrong, by the way. Yes, opinions can be wrong sometimes. You've proven that. Although "opinion" is being nice, because I think you mostly just say shit to try to get reactions and attention and start shit and don't really hold half of the opinions you say you do.

Also, you do two very-closely related things that are extra fucking annoying: You make threads (that you create, most of the time, although you've tried to do this asshole shit in other threads that are not yours, before, too) about yourself, derailing them and then keeping up that derailment by acting stupid when someone (understandably) calls you on your stupid shit....and you also have this annoying habit of replying to every single fucking post in a thread, like it's gonna make you appear to be any better... like you feel you have to defend yourself against every little point. Defensive much? Or just trying to play people?

Anyway, ahhh, that felt good to get off my chest now that we're in this forum. You can reply to this if you want. I'm sure you will, just to try to spin stuff into your own deluded form of events or to ask stupid fucking questions that make you think you're getting a "one up" on someone, but I don't care, because I'm not gonna read it anyway,...I have absolutely no fucking desire to read anything you write. Ever. Your opinions are all shit. Pure, unadulterated, liquefied shit.

That's all.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post

WordMan: this thing you've started is like a boxing match. Since you're a participant, you don't get to declare victory. Unless you're of Ali's caliber, it's almost unseemly.
I don't post like a butterfly? You don't think I'm "tall and extra pretty"?!

Point taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts
Now that a Pit thread is here, against you, in the Pit:

<<<BOOM>>>

Your opinions are all shit. Pure, unadulterated, liquefied shit.

That's all.
That is more than enough. I am happy to stand over here and hold your coat and hat for you. I am not worthy. I had not considered how minding a three-year-old like ddoggy dog might be trying on a mod. You have my thanks and sympathy.

So: Scabby - you mean like that?

I got suckered into letting a punch land from this chucklehead. I hate that.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jz78817 View Post
I learned a new word today.
Yeah, I guess I was feeling all Muhammad Ali-ish , and went fancy instead of just saying "you tool."
Old 10-16-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I've never seen this nitwit land anything worth mentioning, unless it's drawing someone into actually getting a warning from reacting to their oblique stupidity.
Yeah, he does have a talent for that.

Now that we're in the Pit, I'll repeat myself for emphasis. drad dog, you're an ignorant motherfucking tool. Go fuck a warthog.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Yeah, he does have a talent for that.

Now that we're in the Pit, I'll repeat myself for emphasis. drad dog, you're an ignorant motherfucking tool. Go fuck a warthog.
Let me grab your coat, too - it'll be on the guest bed, next to Idle Thoughts's
Old 10-16-2017, 08:53 AM

I've been wondering when somebody would get around to this. I was fervently hoping that the Tom Petty thread would drop off the board without a single reply, and for a while there, it was looking like it might.

It's not even that his opinions are almost always contrarian; that'd be fine, if he'd present arguments in a reasonable way, without acting the ass. As it is, though, you can rarely get through two sentences of his posts before reading some disparaging shit about anybody with the temerity and good sense to disagree with him.

Some people, I was recently reminded, are only here for the conflict, and need to feel that they're winning arguments, no matter how. Fuck that shit; life's too short to be drawn into it. Let them get their asses to 4 chan, or wherever it is that douchebags congregate.

DNFTT.

Last edited by Enter the Flagon; 10-16-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
Jackie, if you include &=<time>s at the end of your url, it will skip to that point in the song.

So, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71Z...youtu.be&t=07s takes you past the first 6 seconds.

Heh heh, drad dog, what a maroon.
thank you - and, yes, drad dog is now someone I can just skip over. I'm glad he is getting a pitting and I hope it leaves a mark. I mean, TP just died and too young: what kind of person choose NOW to start a "he's overrated" thread? nobody we want to interact with, that's who.

Last edited by JackieLikesVariety; 10-16-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much.
We have got to keep this thread on the top, just for this. If smug, douchebag troll uses the "New Posts" feature, this should always be there. Anyone who can routinely piss off Idle Thoughts that much deserves all the opprobrium directed at them and twice more.

Last edited by D_Odds; 10-16-2017 at 10:27 AM. Reason: fixed editing
Old 10-16-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Dontcha just love it when the pitee brings a little whine to the party?
Old 10-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I just had to take a look at a pit thread that got Wordman riled up enough to create it.

I figured somebody must either be a very special kind of shithead or he's so far off base in musical knowledge that he deserved some pain. In this case both.

...program note... drad dog is in no way related to Bubbadog as a relative or possibly a species.