Old 10-16-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
For the record, we don't edit posts just because someone "retracts" them. It's going to continue to say that.
Well, it sure leaves a misleading impression, right there on the forum page, about what the rules are.

If I hadn't bothered opening this thread, I'd assume that 'fuck you' was now acceptable in the Pit, because there it is, and nobody's doing anything about it. Must be legal, then. Especially given that you guys edit thread titles fairly frequently.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:25 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
Well, it sure leaves a misleading impression, right there on the forum page, about what the rules are.

If I hadn't bothered opening this thread, I'd assume that 'fuck you' was now acceptable in the Pit, because there it is, and nobody's doing anything about it. Must be legal, then. Especially given that you guys edit thread titles fairly frequently.
You must be new here.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
You must be new here.
I will admit I've become a lot less clear on where the lines are here during the past few years than I ever used to be. Same end result as being new, I guess.
Old 10-16-2017, 12:41 PM

Whenever I see that drad dog has posted in a music related thread, I think of King Missile's "Sensitive Artist"

I am a sensitive artist.
Nobody understands me because I am so deep.
In my work I make allusions to books that nobody else has read,
Music that nobody else has heard,
And art that nobody else has seen.
I can't help it
Because I am so much more intelligent
And well-rounded
Than everyone who surrounds me.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:

When someone says "fuck you" to another poster on here in a post, it's noted or warned...but the post is not changed or edited, so it stands to reason the same thing would go for a thread title.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts View Post
When someone says "fuck you" to another poster on here in a post, it's noted or warned...but the post is not changed or edited, so it stands to reason the same thing would go for a thread title.
The distinction here is that while it still says "Fuck you" on the forum page, there is no note or warning visible there to indicate to others that the poster who said it has stepped over the line.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
The distinction here is that while it still says "Fuck you" on the forum page, there is no note or warning visible there to indicate to others that the poster who said it has stepped over the line.
There's no note or warning in a post where an offense has occurred, either.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey, I'm a magnanimous guy; if "Go Fuck a Cactus" is acceptable and the mods are so inclined, that is a fine way to update the thread title.

But if the mods want this title to stay as a shining beacon of proper rule enforcement, well, I'm certainly supportive of that, too.

I leave it to the experts.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter. He said it so now he has to live with it and the shame of receiving a mod note for it. Obviously he should have said "Fuck off, you" or "Go fuck Tom Petty's cactus" but he chose to flout the rules and now there's no turning back. Erasing this from history would be unfair to all those who live with such reminders of past indiscretions.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
I leave it to the experts.
We're all experts here.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:38 PM

I was amazed to see a pit thread started by WordMan. It looks well deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog
Just a reminder: It's 5:00 PM. He retracted the words at 3:30. It still says "drad dog: Fuck you"

Is that the way this thread is going to look?
It looks pretty good to me.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Let me get thing straight: It is a violation to say Fuck You to someone here. It is being done on an ongoing basis now indefinitely.

But you won't change it?

So you are violating the rules as well as the OP?
Well that is the chicken shit thing to do, you have a choice though.

ETA: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...7&postcount=41 Wow great post from Idle.

Last edited by What Exit?; 10-16-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
We're all experts here.
And we all float......
Old 10-16-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Actually I'm here to clarify rules. I'm not going to participate under this title. Would you?
Lets try this again
Well that is the chicken shit thing to do, you have a choice though.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
There's no note or warning in a post where an offense has occurred, either.
Most of us read (a) forum pages, and (b) threads. We usually don't read (c) solitary posts. If the offending post and the moderator response are in the same thread, you see them both. If the offending words are in the thread title, then they're visible on the forum page, but the moderator response isn't.

Hey, it's not my board and not my problem, but it sure sends a message that if you want to insult someone in language that's against the rules, the most efficacious place to do it is in your thread title.

You can do or not do whatever you want about that. I've said my piece.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Most of us read (a) forum pages, and (b) threads. We usually don't read (c) solitary posts. If the offending post and the moderator response are in the same thread, you see them both. If the offending words are in the thread title, then they're visible on the forum page, but the moderator response isn't.

Hey, it's not my board and not my problem, but it sure sends a message that if you want to insult someone in language that's against the rules, the most efficacious place to do it is in your thread title.

We got somethin. We both know it. We don't talk too much about it.
Ain't no real big secret. All the same, somehow we get around it.
Listen, it don't really matter to me baby. You believe what you want to believe.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:12 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
I suspect we'll be able to soldier on somehow.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:39 PM

NM

Last edited by Kimballkid; 10-16-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
...program note... drad dog is in no way related to Bubbadog as a relative or possibly a species.
It's a dog eat dog world.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
The latest Youtube craze.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:

God you are a whiney little bitch. Let it go. The real RTF would mock you unmercifully.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
God you are a whiney little bitch. Let it go. The real RTF would mock you unmercifully.
Just curious but isn't where he finishes with "You can do or not do whatever you want about that. I've said my piece." pretty much letting it go?

Though I do believe you're correct about the last part.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Charter Member

I have to say, drad dog was never really on my radar before, but he sure seems to have made a lot of friends.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:

You have no case here and you're not right. How it was done is always how it's done. You don't have any point that holds any weight. Nothing you've said has any merit at all.

It's already been explained to you that it was handled the same way if someone says "fuck you" in a post: Modding is done, but the post remains unchanged and unedited so that everyone can see what the person was modded for...and no "added" part that something is or isn't against the rules is needed anywhere.

You only think so because you're an anal tentative asshat who can't resist nitpicking about stupid shit, which you do all the time, and you can't help yourself but to reply....oftentimes over and over and over and over again. You just can't shut up and ever admit you're wrong about something, you are helpless regarding it.

Well, you're wrong about this. It's how things have always been done and how things were done in this case, and oh well, you don't like it. You're a whiner anyway.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:25 PM

As a point of order I agree with RTFirefly on this.
If "fuck you" is against the rules I think the thread title might be the one place you might want to edit it out.
It's not like it happened in post 338 where you would have to be paying attention to catch it. People might not ever read this thread but see the title and think it's a perfectly fine phrase in the pit.

Not that "fuck you" is nearly as bad as some things I've seen in titles of other pit threads. The Bricker pit is so bitter and contemptuous it loses me before I even get the opening post.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:26 PM

On topic, I usually give some leeway because some people listen more closely to music then I do and it's more important to them and they are so much more involved.

It does irks me though when someone says they loved the first five albums, but what have you done for me lately? Or, that just because they are popular they are B listers.

And I don't recall Idle Thoughts getting this riled up. You've got to be doing something wrong to get that kind of reaction.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballkid View Post
And I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:

<snip>

You only think so because you're an anal tentative asshat who can't resist nitpicking about stupid shit
Spell check got ya, huh? Don't you mean "retentive"?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:43 PM

What can I say? It's not a phrase I use often. Far be it from me to be mean.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

Good lord - I get stuck in meetings all day and come back to a lot of posts. Wow - guess I wasn't alone.

And I had *no idea* my error in my phrasing would kerfuffle things up so much! Too damn funny.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
And I had *no idea* my error in my phrasing would kerfuffle things up so much! Too damn funny.
Well I hope this thread pops up with new posts for months into the future to give you a long time to think about what you've done, mister.

It might even be a good place to share some of our favorite Tom Petty memories, tributes and lyrics which could go on essentially forever. That will teach you.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Crazyhorse, I think you're onto something!!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLikesVariety View Post
you forgot The Dumbass Song *

clearly, Tom is not stupid. but he's not afraid to play a stupid person on youtube.
He got a lot of practice on King of the Hill!
posted by logicpunk at 10:07 AM on December 20, 2007 [3 favorites]
Old 10-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Thoughts
you're an anal tentative asshat
Both evocative and original - congratulations!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 PM

drad dog wasn't previously on my radar either, and since there are a number of Dopers who have non-mainstream opinions and/or poor social skills I considered it possible that he really didn't get that the reason he was hearing a bunch of nice things about Tom Petty all of a sudden was because the man just died. But it became increasingly obvious that drad dog isn't just a troll, he's an unusually boring troll.

I think Idle Thoughts has his number:
Quote:
Also, you do two very-closely related things that are extra fucking annoying: You make threads (that you create, most of the time, although you've tried to do this asshole shit in other threads that are not yours, before, too) about yourself, derailing them and then keeping up that derailment by acting stupid when someone (understandably) calls you on your stupid shit....and you also have this annoying habit of replying to every single fucking post in a thread, like it's gonna make you appear to be any better... like you feel you have to defend yourself against every little point. Defensive much? Or just trying to play people?
Old 10-16-2017, 08:28 PM

Can't you guys settle your petty disagreement?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
And I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear.
NORM!
Old 10-16-2017, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't post like a butterfly? You don't think I'm "tall and extra pretty"?!
I dunno, I've never seen you. But I've always imagined you something like an older version of Mr. Regular from Regular Car Reviews. Slim to average build, average height, beard -- a little dad-ish, but not too much.

(Could be worse, ya could look like a mix between Frank Sobotka and Rick Sanchez!)

Quote:
So: Scabby - you mean like that?

I got suckered into letting a punch land from this chucklehead. I hate that.
Yeah, you might have come out too strong at the first, but you're pacing yourself now. Let the crowd work him over some, then go in to finish him off when he's flailing. That is, if the condescending little weenie has it in them to come back and take their medicine. Come to think of it, getting your knocks in at the title was genius! Woe to them who don't read threads and just assume they understand what's going on from the title.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Now that a Pit thread is here, against you, in the Pit: You're an asshole, shithead, dumbass, imbecile who I think is quite possibly a troll (I haven't made my mind up just quite yet).

I add everyone as a friend, even if I think they're an asshat. See: octopus, Hurricane Ditka, and Okrahoma for other examples of this.

And you? One of the biggest asshats on this board. Asshat. Your opinion is usually wrong, by the way. Yes, opinions can be wrong sometimes. You've proven that. Although "opinion" is being nice, because I think you mostly just say shit to try to get reactions and attention and start shit and don't really hold half of the opinions you say you do.

Also, you do two very-closely related things that are extra fucking annoying: You make threads (that you create, most of the time, although you've tried to do this asshole shit in other threads that are not yours, before, too) about yourself, derailing them and then keeping up that derailment by acting stupid when someone (understandably) calls you on your stupid shit....and you also have this annoying habit of replying to every single fucking post in a thread, like it's gonna make you appear to be any better... like you feel you have to defend yourself against every little point. Defensive much? Or just trying to play people?

Anyway, ahhh, that felt good to get off my chest now that we're in this forum. You can reply to this if you want. I'm sure you will, just to try to spin stuff into your own deluded form of events or to ask stupid fucking questions that make you think you're getting a "one up" on someone, but I don't care, because I'm not gonna read it anyway,...I have absolutely no fucking desire to read anything you write. Ever. Your opinions are all shit. Pure, unadulterated, liquefied shit.

That's all.
This NSFW image seems stunningly apropos.

Last edited by Superdude; 10-16-2017 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Screwed up coding
Old 10-17-2017, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
This NSFW image seems stunningly apropos.
Umm, I got mostly Bert and Ernie books from that Google search link. I can't really fathom how that would be NSFW without surreal fantasies on the part of the viewer. Could you be more specific?

Last edited by scabpicker; 10-17-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
Umm, I got mostly Bert and Ernie books from that Google search link. I can't really fathom how that would be NSFW without surreal fantasies on the part of the viewer. Could you be more specific?
Did you read the titles of those Bert n' Ernie books? "Your Opinions are Shit!"
Now go the fuck to sleep. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat
Can't you guys settle your petty disagreement?
Heh. I Need to Know (one of the songs I play. Very fun rocker with such sad, anxious lyrics. He's Othello with a blond Carol Brady haircut.)

Y'know, I wish drad dog could overcome his butthurt at the wording kerfuffle - Fuck You, in this case, is a way of saying Godammit, knock it off, you fool. Several people have stated surprise at the Pitting by me and the (sweet, sweet) vitriol from Idle Thoughts, who clearly had had time to think it's true: I've been here 16 or so years and never Pitted anyone.

drad, people do not like your tone and posting style. Do you see that?

And, given that it seems to be a lot of folks and no one has posted in your defense ("I like having to prove stuff to drad dog. It works my brain muscle!"), what say you?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
I dunno, I've never seen you. But I've always imagined you something like an older version of Mr. Regular from Regular Car Reviews. Slim to average build, average height, beard -- a little dad-ish, but not too much.
I look like Dan Aykroyd - his thin stage up through dad-bod but not fully fat like him now. I'm the dorky dad from Modern Family if he liked to talk about music, books, philosophy and physics. And could rock a Telecaster through a dirty Tweed amp like a MF .

Last edited by WordMan; 10-17-2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
We're all experts here.
I'm not.

Quote:
I'm the dorky dad from Modern Family if he liked to talk about music, books, philosophy and physics. And could rock a Telecaster through a dirty Tweed amp like a MF .
I dunno. I hear you're pretty fucking over-rated.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I honestly had no idea so many people hated drad dog.. I kinda like him. He’s a music snob, but fuck it, I’m an all-around snob.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I honestly had no idea so many people hated drad dog.. I kinda like him. Hes a music snob, but fuck it, Im an all-around snob.
He annoyed me. A lot of things annoy me, I annoy myself. I annoy other people. I'm probably annoying people now. My grammer is probably annoying people, I wish they placed more emphasis on that in college.

At one point I think I thought he had potential to be less annoying, I haven't read any of his posts in a while though - they were annoying me, so I stopped reading them.

I think I'll go have some soup.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:28 PM

Hey! That's my soup!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I dunno. I hear you're pretty fucking over-rated.
Can you be overrated as a dork??

Ukulele Ike* - sharing a little Snob Love from Brooklyn! Are you saying you identify with his inner hipster?

*i like to abbreviate usernames if they come across as nicely-intended and fun. I was getting ready to reply to your post, and typed out "Uke Ike" but then mentally said it out loud.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Hey! That's my soup!
Theese is pit thread! No soup for you!
Old 10-17-2017, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nylock View Post
My grammer is probably annoying people
I'm annoyed that you can't spell grammar.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:49 PM

You know who else is an annoying douchebag? Kelsey Grammer. Fuck you, Frasier!