Old 10-24-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Ah - he was speaking in the voice of ddog?? Man, you all are playing chess, and I'm playing Chopsticks. No. Wait...
Now I'm really curious about a Muzak version of Chopsticks...
Old 10-24-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
That's not a cite, it's an opinion and if you look at the actual article, they lost the fight.

"The ukulele (/juːkəˈleɪliː/ yoo-kə-LAY-lee, from Hawaiian: ʻukulele [ˈʔukuˈlɛlɛ] (oo-koo-leh-leh); variant: ukelele,)"
NoooOOOoo.....the fight is not lost, we are still fighting! My post is my cite.

Seriously, no one says "yook" in Hawaii. Of course, what you folks do on the mainland is up to you.

WordMan, glad to hear your son's sophomore year is shaping up well. Our son was lucky from the get-go, and he hasn't encountered any significant problems (yet). He's thriving and enjoying himself immensely.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
NoooOOOoo.....the fight is not lost, we are still fighting! My post is my cite.
Stand your ground. And don't back down.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
A bit of my soul died when heard the Musak version of "Revolution" in a store.
All the way back in the fall of 1976, I heard a Muzak version of Dylan's "The Times, They Are A-Changin'" over the sound system of the place I was working.

Should have been re-titled, "The Times, They Ain't A-Changed Much."
Old 10-26-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Tom Petty gets played in grocery stores. That automatically nullifies everything he's ever accomplished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
My grocery store plays everything from Adele to Prince to Whitney Houston. Careers nullified!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
My store, Ralphs/Kroger in Westwood, Los Angeles, plays mostly safe popish songs from several genres. But they are on the cutting edge of grocery stores: They have a sushi bar, a beer and wine bar, a juice bar and a Starbucks.
The grocery stores in my far-from-cutting-edge exurb play all sorts of stuff over their sound systems; I never know what I'll hear. But a good deal of the time, it's relatively current stuff. I'll be pushing my cart down the aisle to Imagine Dragons or Bastille.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

All right: this thread has gone four pages, and we've drifted into grocery store music, initially (apparently, he says cluelessly), a commentary on the corksniffing pedantry we have been railing at, but now, simply because Dopers love a good hijack.

More importantly, our doggy douchebag has been active on the SDMB but stayed out of this thread. He can't get past a word, one which I have made clear, is not the point. I am not sure what he is looking to claim about being above it all, but all I see is an example of the exact same behavior from him: acting like a petulant twit, while not engaging people who are talking to him.

This Pitting can be done*, but to be clear: there is some shit up with which we Dopers will not put. One of the worst is the charge of Bad Geekery with the intent to be a Smug Douche - that's a first-degree offense, I tell you!! You are now, via the full power of this very silly Pitting, That Guy(tm). Don't be That Guy.

*well, until it achieves sentience with Skynet thanks to Crazyhorse. It may be back.
*second ETA: scabpicker, cool?

Last edited by WordMan; 10-26-2017 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

I've heard Joy Division in the supermarket. Weird.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:25 AM

Love, love will tear us apart again.
Old 10-27-2017, 11:00 AM

I've heard The Clash in the supermarket, although never "Lost in the Supermarket".
Old 10-27-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
All the way back in the fall of 1976, I heard a Muzak version of Dylan's "The Times, They Are A-Changin'" over the sound system of the place I was working.

Should have been re-titled, "The Times, They Ain't A-Changed Much."
Around 40 years ago, when Supertramp was popular, I heard a Muzak version of Breakfast In America in a supermarket.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

You guys are hilarious.

*bump*

Is it just me, or would "Keep Fuckin' That Cactus" make for a great Tom Petty song title? Or how about John Cougar Mellencamp! Yeah, that's better.

:a lone, dryly-strummed guitar playing big major chords in a slow but powerful, Chevy commercial groove. A harmonica fill leads in. Then a weathered voice intones:

You don't care what the facts is
You just keep on fuckin' that cactus
You keep questioning a Mod's practice

Hmm.

Last edited by WordMan; 10-27-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:37 PM

I'd like to point out that I dislike hearing the music that you pipe outside of your store, whatever it is. The music doesn't make me want to shop there.

I fear a future where every store has speakers outside and a walk down the sidewalk is like having someone constantly switching the radio.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Is it just me, or would "Keep Fuckin' That Cactus" make for a great Tom Petty song title? Or how about John Cougar Mellencamp! Yeah, that's better.

:a lone, dryly-strummed guitar playing big major chords in a slow but powerful, Chevy commercial groove. A harmonica fill leads in. Then a weathered voice intones:

You don't care what the facts is
You keep questioning a Mod's practice
Your first line makes me think of Steve Miller:

Draddy Dog is a defective down in Texas
You know he don't care exactly what the facts is
He ain't gonna let a band escape his justice
He just gonna keep on fuckin' that cactus
Old 10-27-2017, 07:13 PM

Well this is a story about drad dog the douche. A witless moron with nothin' better to do than sit around the house, websurf and criticize old Tom. Here's what happened when he decided to cut loose.

He headed down to old Cafe. WordMan caught up with him the very next day. He got his pitting, hey, he ran away. Hid his head in the sand and he's still a douchebag today.

Singing go on take your pitting and run. Hoo hoo hoo. Go on take your pitting and run. Auuuggahh. Go on take your pitting and run. Hoo hoo hoo. Go on take your pitting and run.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:30 PM

Steve Miller is overrated.

-d&r-
Old 10-27-2017, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
Well this is a story about drad dog the douche. A witless moron with nothin' better to do than sit around the house, websurf and criticize old Tom. Here's what happened when he decided to cut loose.

He headed down to old Cafe. WordMan caught up with him the very next day. He got his pitting, hey, he ran away. Hid his head in the sand and he's still a douchebag today.

Singing go on take your pitting and run. Hoo hoo hoo. Go on take your pitting and run. Auuuggahh. Go on take your pitting and run. Hoo hoo hoo. Go on take your pitting and run.
Good lord that's brilliant. ChockFull - yours too. Too funny.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:49 PM

Nothing funny-er than 'Let's get Physical' in Walmart. People start kinda dancing down the aisles. I think in might be a legit phenomenon.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This Pitting can be done*, but to be clear: there is some shit up with which we Dopers will not put. One of the worst is the charge of Bad Geekery with the intent to be a Smug Douche - that's a first-degree offense, I tell you!! You are now, via the full power of this very silly Pitting, That Guy(tm). Don't be That Guy.

*well, until it achieves sentience with Skynet thanks to Crazyhorse. It may be back.
*second ETA: scabpicker, cool?
Hehehee, yes. That's got enough humility to satisfy my sense of decorum. I love that there's now been two ATMB threads about this one. Dude knows nothing of the Streisand effect - he refuses to participate in the thread, but runs around beating the shit out of himself for you by complaining about the title. Such a complete idiot.

If nothing else, his continued absence from this ongoing thread is a continued, glorious emblem of the coward they are. And every time they are a douchebag, this thread's gonna probably get bumped. So, I predict a pretty long life for this thread. Hopefully it will stand as a warning to others.

Apropos of this pitting because dd was terribly offended by easily verifiable acts that would have been self-evident to anyone who had "been there" when I mentioned it: Steely Dan was played un-altered as muzak when new. I still like SD, but that was where I heard them first.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I try my best to avoid (but not completely so) talking about music with him, exactly for the reasons you state, and he's been that way since day one here. He's the only poster I do that with. The fact that I saw WordMan start a pit thread. Man, I never thought I'd see the day!
Really. Wordman is the one person who seems to like everyone.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scabpicker View Post
If nothing else, his continued absence from this ongoing thread is a continued, glorious emblem of the coward they are. And every time they are a douchebag, this thread's gonna probably get bumped. So, I predict a pretty long life for this thread.
I think this thread will stay on the front page of the Pit for a long time even before any additional assholery by douche dog, which is certain to happen too. It's the thread that keeps on giving. Much like Tom Petty's extensive and seldom discussed charity work.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think this thread will stay on the front page of the Pit for a long time even before any additional assholery by douche dog, which is certain to happen too. It's the thread that keeps on giving. Much like Tom Petty's extensive and seldom discussed charity work.
Tom Petty did charity work? Gosh Crazyhorse, what can you tell us?

SteveG1 - that's nice of you to say. There's actually lots of folks I don't like - I've posted many times about Jim Morrison's assholery or not being a big fan of some bands. But I ONLY bring that up as MY opinion and I avoid threadshitting. The basics, y'know?
Old 11-01-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Tom Petty did charity work? Gosh Crazyhorse, what can you tell us?
Oh yeah. Tom Petty was a seriously charitable dude. Just a partial list of some of the causes he supported includes Safety Harbor Kids, Special Olympics, Rock the Earth, MusiCares, Fender Music Foundation, Midnight Mission, and many more.

Just this year he was honored as the MusiCares person of the year. They provide support and community services to people in need of medical, personal and financial assistance. He helped raise $8.5 million for their programs and services in a fund raising concert that also included performances by Don Henley, The Bangles, Foo Fighters, Jackson Browne, Lucinda Williams, ELO's Jeff Lynne, George Strait, the Lumineers, Taj Mahal, Dhani Harrison - son of close friend George Harrison, Stevie Nicks, and Chris Hillman of the Byrds. They all did tribute covers of Petty and the Heartbreakers tunes and raised a bundle for a good cause.

Quote:
Before exiting the stage, Nicks said, "He is as sweet as he is talented."
Old 11-01-2017, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Nothing funny-er than 'Let's get Physical' in Walmart. People start kinda dancing down the aisles. I think in might be a legit phenomenon.
Hey, now. Desert Roomie and I were in WalMart at 2am* when the Taco cover of Puttin' on the Ritz came on the overhead. At the appropriate moment, we both struck a pose and said ala Young Frankenstein, "Oo'e aw i ri-i-i-i-i!"

DR: I think we know each other too well.

*Gimme a break; we were off our swing shift.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:21 AM

I heard that drad dog has been ordered to appear before a grand jury in Robert Mueller's investigation and faces charges of grand douchery and collusion with pretentious poser Russian music critics.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I heard that drad dog has been ordered to appear before a grand jury in Robert Mueller's investigation and faces charges of grand douchery and collusion with pretentious poser Russian music critics.
They bonded over a shared, ironic hipster love of The Trololo Song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6S8OsJOP4Bw
Old 11-03-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
They bonded over a shared, ironic hipster love of The Trololo Song: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6S8OsJOP4Bw
I'm sure this was the video you intended to post.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Oh wow. That's hilarious.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:07 PM

I confess that I'm beginning to see your point.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:19 PM

Argh, that troll face meme is annoying. Anyway, bump.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Heh, the dumb fuck is back to his same shit in a zombied thread of mine. Claiming that he didn't say things that they quoted themselves saying. What a shithead.

Last edited by scabpicker; 11-24-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Heh, the dumb fuck is back to his same shit in a zombied thread of mine. Claiming that he didn't say things that they quoted themselves saying. What a shithead.
Got a link? There's not much on the telly tonight.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digs View Post
Got a link? There's not much on the telly tonight.
Itís here. The noted fun starts toward the bottom of the first page.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, I should have provided a link to the event in question. Thanks, Pork Rind!

And, since he's not worth responding to in a civil way. I'll just respond here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drad dog View Post
Some people need ideas about punk to feel cool. What actually is isn't the point.
Who cares what you think about other people's motivations, you stupid little cum bubble? When you say horseshit like like this, it says more about yourself than it does about anyone else. I know I ain't cool, and no amount of music nerdery will make me so. Having positions that are easily verifiable as being at odds with reality isn't making you cool, either. Still, you persist with them.

Quote:
In fact if all your saying is that what you like is punk and what you like is also technical so, ipso facto...something is punk, why are you asking anyone else?
Actually, it's the exact fucking opposite. I'm saying you can be technical and still play punk -then I provided examples of that being done. Since I'm not a moron, I don't think that you have to play well to play Rock at all, and it's largely been a free-for all since the start WRT ability. You're the one making absolute statements and pushing them. You don't even have the sense to know how to attack my position. Here's a hint, fucktard: try to somehow attack my example's status as "punk". If you knew a goddamn thing about them, you'd know that one of my examples WROTE a song titled I'm Not A Punk, released on the same fucking album as the song I linked to. I was intentionally pitching soft balls. If you'd even bothered to educate yourself on the subject enough to read the Wiki entry on them, we could have had a discussion, because you'd then know enough about them to discuss it. You chose to remain an ignorant pile of rotten placenta, never to become a real boy.

I've had bowel movements who understood logic and argument better than you do. In fact, every one of my bowel movements is a genius in comparison to you - they don't say shit they can't back up.

Quote:
This is the same argument as "what is rock" or "what is metal" or "what is (some musical subset further up the metal genre colon...)"
Yep, and the thread advertised what it was doing in the title. You're some sort of fucking chatbot that can't actually understand the English you yourself spout, though. So, why should I be surprised that you're astonished at its contents?

Quote:
Practice? Why does practice distiinguish punk rock from other music, or any other art form?
I DON'T KNOW! Why the fuck were you so stupid to assert that it is relevant? Oh wait, yeah, so you could troll me for a few posts denying something you yourself quoted in your inability to understand the board software.

Last edited by scabpicker; 11-25-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

scabpicker, welcome to my world. Quite the button pusher, isn't he?

Don't let him goad you into fucking his cactus, man. That's his job. He's still That Guy, as noted above. Just have Skynet reawaken this thread and it will help you resist the urge.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, and after one post where they let up (without even a mea culpa on doing it and denying it), they're back to pushing the definition they swear they weren't pushing. What a complete waste of basic elements and electrons. If the nitwit can't tell the difference between the playing of Dr. Know and Ted Nugent, they might not be capable of commenting intelligently on the subject.

And if I may be so unkind: I'm beginning to suspect that they couldn't play either's leads (even though Nugent's are pretty easy, Dr. K's are fucking HARD), and that's why they seem to resent them and lump them together. I dunno, I don't really care enough to find out if I'm right. Dude's now batting worse than adaher at being obstinately wrong on their favorite subjects in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Thank you for this thread, any responses I actually make to this fool will be in here. I don't really care to talk to them, and ranting makes me feel better after reading the stupid.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and after one post where they let up (without even a mea culpa on doing it and denying it), they're back to pushing the definition they swear they weren't pushing. What a complete waste of basic elements and electrons. If the nitwit can't tell the difference between the playing of Dr. Know and Ted Nugent, they might not be capable of commenting intelligently on the subject.

And if I may be so unkind: I'm beginning to suspect that they couldn't play either's leads (even though Nugent's are pretty easy, Dr. K's are fucking HARD), and that's why they seem to resent them and lump them together. I dunno, I don't really care enough to find out if I'm right. Dude's now batting worse than adaher at being obstinately wrong on their favorite subjects in the face of evidence to the contrary.

Thank you for this thread, any responses I actually make to this fool will be in here. I don't really care to talk to them, and ranting makes me feel better after reading the stupid.
Bad Brains fucking rock!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 AM

I'm bumping this thread.

Quote:
It's not arbitrary if it's "originalism."

I don't know where you said what punk is but I bet it's just as vague as this is, citing "somewhere else"

I never made any proscriptive statement for players. Punk just doesn't sound practiced to me. Rock has become practiced. Why don't you just admit you're rock? Things are not going to be punk to someone else because you need or want them to be.

It isn't punk to define it and argue on to some kind of thread victory.

That's "rock." You need to get comfortable with that. Everything you do and say sounds like rock to me.

Punks DNA is snotty, rude, satirical, outsider/underground/gay, and learning how to play. If it changed to something else and kept the name why is that interesting?

I told you why I think it means something. Why does it mean what you think it does?
This is the stupidest post I've read in a long time. He's trying to convince me I'm playing rock, without having heard my music! He's of course trying to deny himself having defined punk in any way before, calling defining things unpunk, while defining what punk is again.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Yes, he is asserting that "Punk doesn't sound practiced to <him>" and that's that. It's okay, he doesn't believe a guitarist can be a true artist, either.

Smug, douchebag troll. Yep.

Last edited by WordMan; 12-01-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:00 PM

Yeah, for sure. I was actually getting my hopes up with this post... It seemed like something might have sinked in. Alas, no dice...
Old 12-02-2017, 01:24 PM

Jesus, he just can't help himself I guess.

I think I have a new word for that tone he takes: Boardsplainin'.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
Jesus, he just can't help himself I guess.

I think I have a new word for that tone he takes: Boardsplainin'.
My new word for when he hijacks somene else's ATMB thread to blubber about this thread some more is: Fuckhurt.

Example: Drad Dog is all fuckhurt again about this thread.

Quote:
I am the only poster with "Fuck You" in my pitting, and I'm a stalinist, so I'm not feeling this.

That's right. My pitting says "Fuck You" in the title. "Fuck You."
Old 12-04-2017, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

Good lord. The kerfuffle that keeps on kerfuffling. Fuckhurt indeed.

ddog, I have no idea what being a stalinist (small s or big) means in this case, but given how you're the one who's given the phrase its value, maybe it means "deluded cactus fucker".

You haven't changed your posting behavior - e.g., Punk is however you define it, and if folks disagree with you, you take shots at them - so I have no problem giving this tether ball another whack.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Hah! Come to think of it, them being a "stalinist" would line right up with their dictatorial style. Too bad the secret police think he's an idiot, too.

Last edited by scabpicker; 12-04-2017 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

From what I learned at Wikipedia University this morning, the primary tenets of Stalinism were class-based violence, purges and executions, and deportations, and who among us isn't a proponent of at least one of those? Or maybe he's just a big fan of catastrophic agricultural policies that lead to genocidal famine?
Old 12-04-2017, 11:07 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
From what I learned at Wikipedia University this morning, the primary tenets of Stalinism were class-based violence, purges and executions, and deportations, and who among us isn't a proponent of at least one of those? Or maybe he's just a big fan of catastrophic agricultural policies that lead to genocidal famine?
Well, there's also the cult of personality and the primacy of the Soviet Union.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Or the fabulous mustache.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Or the fabulous mustache.
Bingo: ddog likely has one of those.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:56 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Bingo: ddog likely has one of those.
Actually I picture him with some wispy half-assed Che Guevara thing on his upper lip. And a dorky little soul patch.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri View Post
Actually I picture him with some wispy half-assed Che Guevara thing on his upper lip. And a dorky little soul patch.
And a beret? Please say there's a beret!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I'm gonna guess pork pie hat. Or a trilby, only for the satisfaction of schooling anyone who calls it a fedora.