Old 10-29-2017, 08:39 PM

Nostalgic, evocative scents

If anything can transport you instantly back to a specific time, it's encountering a certain scent, especially unexpectedly.

Today I was at Big Lots (what a fun store!) and I saw a jar of Noxzema--the original in the cobalt blue jar. I opened it and took a good whiff. I was immediately back in 1958, age 10, sitting on the sofa, slathering the very smelly, mysteriously cooling cream on my brand new sunburn. Noxzema was the go-to remedy during my tanning/burning years.

Another time, years ago, when limes were first starting to be favored over lemons as an iced tea garnish, I had a big bowl of limes, cut one in half, and smelled it. Instantly I was four years old next to the lime tree in our yard in Florida smelling a cut lime--a memory I hadn't consciously accessed up until that moment.

One more: Mrs. Meyer's cleaning products has a lemon verbena scented hand soap, dish soap, room spray--I have bottles of the hand soap at all my sinks. The reason-- (again) years ago (you use that phrase a lot when you're old) Yves Saint Laurent made a lemony men's cologne that a guy I was dating wore. Loved it--him, not so much and we eventually broke up. The next guy I dated--hehe, I bought him a bottle of Yves for Christmas. Did I mention I really loved that scent? Eventually we broke up, too, and Yves stopped making that cologne. Fast forward and one day I bought some Meyers lemon verbena hand soap, washed my hands, put them up to my face--holy smokes! It was the same scent. Gosh, how I had missed it. My little secret.

Do you have nostalgic, evocative scents?
Old 10-29-2017, 10:27 PM

Me and my sisters used to spray Sun-in on our hair as soon as the pool opened every summer. I smell that and I am taken back to my pre-teen and teen years. Also, a boyfriend gave me Love's baby soft perfume once. If I see it in a sampler anywhere I always spray some, so innocent and young I was, aahh!
Old 10-30-2017, 03:13 AM

Johnson's baby powder.

Pear's Transparent soap.

A brand of pine-tar soap whose name I can't remember but it had an old-timey label. Might have been Wright's.

The first reminded me of a time in my life when I was young and every family had babies about.

The second also was soap my mother used to buy.

The third was a soap my grandmother used.

As commonly observed, smell is powerful magnet to drag you back to another time and place.
Old 10-30-2017, 03:25 AM
Elephant Whisperer

I have read the sense of smell is the most evocative of memories. There is a specific mildewy smell in a lot of old buildings in Bangkok. It's particularly prevalent in old government buildings but also places like the Alliance Francaise. I've always referred to the scent as "Bangkok Whorehouse," because it does seem to be in some of the older bars too. I think it must be the specific cleaning products they use. But that smell is disappearing as newer construction takes over. That smell always brings back my early days in Thailand.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:33 AM

My daughter was a high school basketball player and her team visited my old high school for a game. The instant I walked into that gym I was sixteen years old again. The smell of old sweat, dust and cleaning products was unmistakable.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 AM

Grandmas house smell.
Old 10-30-2017, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

My beloved grandfather died in 1969, when I was 11.

In 2005 or so, I was going through boxes of material in the basement, where all the family stuff had been stored, and discovered it was full of some old shirts of his. They smelled of his cologne.

OMG the memories that suddenly burst into my head, when that scent hit me. It was overwhelming.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:11 AM

The smell of a department store instantly makes me think of my mother. It's so strong and bitter sweet, I actively avoid going inside one around the holidays lest I get all verklempt.

Throughout my teenage years different fragrances were popular and, unlike today, you didn't have hundreds of them to choose from. Everybody pretty much wore the same thing, such as Love's Baby Soft that Beckdawrek mentioned.
Some others:

Original Ralph Lauren (in the square red bottle)
Tatiana
Gloria Vanderbilt
Charlie
Emeraude

They each transport me to a very specific time and again, very bitter sweet.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:34 AM

Balsam trees - childhood Christmases. I remember opening the boxes of Christmas tree ornaments as a kid and the scent from many trees past had permeated the boxes

New crayons - Elementary school

Hockey arena (distinct aroma of Zamboni exhaust, ice, cold air, rubber matting and probably smelly boys!) - my son playing hockey

Loves Baby Soft - junior high

Worms (!!) & outboard motor gasoline - fishing at the cabin with my dad

Soft & Dri deodorant - high school (not even sure if they make it anymore)

Butterfingers - Trick or Treating
Old 10-30-2017, 11:34 AM

Oh yes... Emeraude...
Old 10-30-2017, 11:42 AM

2-stroke burning 927!
Old 10-30-2017, 11:58 AM

The smell of fresh blacktop on a warm summer day.

Once again I am 8 years old, hiking down a shaded country road with fellow day campers, towels over our shoulders, on our way to the camp's rented swimming pool.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:22 AM

Pumpkin pie. Memories of Thanksgiving at my grandmother's home listening to family arguments.

Gunpowder smoke. That Thanksgiving the arguments were finally resolved.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:02 AM

My brothers and I identify the smell of lentils cooking with our maternal grandparents' house over Christmas; it's one of the few recipes we got from that side of the family. On occasion the effect was so strong I was seeing Mom's hall and Grandma's superimposed - despite it having been me who'd put the lentils to cook! I mean, it's not like it caught me by surprise.

Last edited by Nava; 10-31-2017 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:33 AM

Can we have the recipe, Nava?

Shalimar brings me to a full halt wherever I happen to be, as my grandmother wore it.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Brother Number Two View Post
Can we have the recipe, Nava?...
Absolutely!

I'm loving reading about all of these memories.
Old 10-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Rosemary reminds me of my mother. It was her go-to herb. It was the first thing I planted after moving to Oregon, and I use it quite often. Whenever I pass by one of the ubiquitous bushes growing in yards here, I rub a little between my fingers and enjoy the fragrance.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:14 PM

Catchet reminds me of my Mom, and English Leather of my Dad, specifically when they would get dressed up and go out.
Hot concrete reminds me of skipping rope for hours with my friends in the old neighbourhood.
Coppertone and Noxema, as well as warm rubbery inner-tube - the lake.
Ban-o carpet sprinkles and cleaner - of my Dad's old factory and business (janitorial supplies).
Samsara perfume - my sister Patti
Jean Nate and the powdery smell of a compact - my Grandmother
Lilacs - Springtime and my Mom
Dusty, warm canvas, CLP and diesel - Basic training, specifically riding in a MLVW (big truck)
Head and Shoulders and Right Guard deodorant- my first boyfriend
Drakkar Noir - My first love
Dolce and Gabbana Light Blue - a special guy I know
Old 10-31-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Oh yes... Emeraude...
I worked at a drugstore while I was in college, and during the holiday season we would get in all of those sets and special editions of the classic drugstore fragrances. Love's Baby Soft, Stetson, Le Jardin, Jean Nate, etc. One year we had large glass bottles (the size of a man's hand) of bright green Emeraude displayed on the free standing shelves in the cosmetics department.

In hindsight, a bad idea. Someone inevitably bumped the shelf, and several bottles crashed down to the floor and smashed to bits, spraying green perfume all over. Everywhere it touched the floor it stripped the wax. The store reeked for weeks.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:00 PM

Chantilly perfume: reminds me of my grandmother, and her house.

Mrs. Field's chocolate chip cookies: reminds me of my college girlfriend, whose summer job was working at a Mrs. Field's location.

Hot caramel corn: takes me back to the late 1970s, and how Port Plaza Mall in Green Bay smelled, thanks to a Karmelkorn shop in the center of the mall.

Mothballs: reminds me of every Kmart, ever.

The smell of incompletely-combusted gasoline, mixed with oil: reminds me of my father's hardware store. We did small-engine repair (lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc.), and that was the distinctive smell of that workshop.

The "rotten eggs" smell of sulfur-laden air pollution: reminds me of what Green Bay smelled like when I was a kid, due to the papermills.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:53 PM

A tween girl walked past me the other day smelling like Love's Baby Soft. That takes me back to early high school.

Turpentine takes me back to my childhood home and the basement entryway. It meant it was summer and my Pop was home from work for the week, painting the house.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Lily of the valley (muguet) is said to evoke pleasant memories of childhood. It does for me, but that's because my mom always grew it. While gardening it, she would sing to me:

White silver bells upon a slender stalk
Lilies of the valley deck my garden walk.
Oh, don't you wish that you could hear them ring
That will happen only when the fairies sing.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Brother Number Two View Post
Can we have the recipe, Nava?
The recipe is... even more wingy than what's usual for Spanish recipes.

Ingredients:
lentils (bet you weren't expecting that!),
potatoes,
chorizo,
other meats (blood sausage, ribs' ends, chicken wings, rabbit ribs... the idea is that it should be "low end" meats, a concept which of course varies locally),
garlic,
laurel leaves,
carrot,
leeks,
oil (or whatever you'd normally use to fry),
water and salt.

The lentils may be from a can or glass pot, or dry, or from one of those places that sell them semi-cooked. If they're dry, remember to leave them soaking in the pot in which you will cook them the night before.

Set the lentils to cook in the water in which they came, or in which they soaked, along with the rinsed laurel; prep the rest of the ingredients while the lentils start cooking. Begin on high, then once it starts boiling lower the fire to simmer. Cooking time will vary with the source of lentils: dry lentils will need to cook completely, the other types are already kind'a sort'a cooked so they just need to "get the taste" of everything else. Give larger lentils more time too (about 5 minutes more if precooked, 10 more if dry). If you already have a recipe for lentils, use your usual lentils and your usual time.
Amount of water to use... sorry, depends on the pot and on whether your family likes them on the dry side or with more broth. A pressure cooker will need less water than a regular pot, but it also cannot have water added as you go; on a regular pot start with the water about one finger-width higher than the lentils and add more if needed.

Carrot, leeks: cut it in big chunks if nobody will want to eat them (so it's easy to set aside), in thin slices if people like it cooked.
Potatoes: cut in chunks or slices. Do not break the end of each cut but cut completely, because if you break them that area will tend to come apart on a long boil.
Garlic: peel a couple of cloves and add them in. You're not supposed to eat them, they're for taste.
Add the potatoes and veggies as and when you have them ready, to simmer with the lentils.

Chorizo, other meats: added close to the end. Chorizo and other sausages, cut in smaller or bigger chunks depending on whether it's dry (smaller chunks) or raw (pieces large enough that they won't come undone). Give the meats a bit of a fry in not-too-much oil before adding it in (dorar we call it, "making golden"; I think in English it's "broiling"). Add them and the oil once the lentils are done, then raise the fire a little for a final high boil (just a few seconds on high, stirring to mix well).

Now I'm hungry
Old 10-31-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna View Post
Lily of the valley (muguet) is said to evoke pleasant memories of childhood. It does for me, but that's because my mom always grew it. While gardening it, she would sing to me:

White silver bells upon a slender stalk
Lilies of the valley deck my garden walk.
Oh, don't you wish that you could hear them ring
That will happen only when the fairies sing.
That is so sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
The recipe is... even more wingy than what's usual for Spanish recipes.

Ingredients:
lentils (bet you weren't expecting that!)...
Whoa! I definitely wasn't expecting such a complex, interesting recipe. Actually, I think I have most of those ingredients on hand right now...

My mother always left the celery in big chunks in her beef stew so that if you didn't like it, you could easily pull it out. Good thinking, Mama!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Auto exhaust: Hanging around the back of the ice cream truck waiting for my turn to buy a treat. The one in our neighborhood was a Willys truck with a freezer on the back with small doors on the side and back so the guy could reach in and get the product. That meant that on the right side and rear you were right by the exhaust pipe as it idled.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:12 PM

My Mother wore 'white shoulders'. If I smell it I want to cry, so I avoid it. My eldest sister got all us girls a bottle of it for Christmas a couple of years ago, I have never sprayed it. That reminds me, I am still mad about that! I remember in highschool we all got into incense, to hide those forbidden odors, I giggle every time I smell 'patchouli'.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 11-08-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I have read the sense of smell is the most evocative of memories. ...
The innermost chunk of the human brain is the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhinencephalon. The smelling brain. What we call "smell" today is a derivative of how single-celled organisms detected good and bad chemicals in their surroundings. This goes to the very core of what it means to be alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
The smell of fresh blacktop on a warm summer day.

Once again I am 8 years old, hiking down a shaded country road with fellow day campers, towels over our shoulders, on our way to the camp's rented swimming pool.
Yup.

Once in awhile freshly mowed grass takes me back to recess in elementary school. But it's a common enough smell that it only triggers when everything else is just right.

I spent one summer in junior high with a badly broken leg mostly cooped up in my bedroom reading. The room had a western exposure and the sun would stream in. Even now, 40+ years later the smell of sun-warmed sand and dust on a 75-80F day brings me right back. I can feel the bedspread, recall the wistful emotional tone of enjoying the reading while wishing I was outside with my pals, and all the rest.

I spent a couple summers in college operating a car hop-up shop. Even now the right combo of old grease, gasoline, and a bit of gear oil takes me right back. Any old service station doesn't do it; it needs the right mixture.

Agree with the OP: it's fun to read all these. Thanks for coming up with the idea.

Last edited by LSLGuy; 11-08-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:00 PM

The Christmas I was ten years old, my mother gave me a bottle of perfume called L'Effleur. It was the characteristic smell of Christmas to me for many years, and would be still, if it wasn't out of production.

Legos, Where's Waldo, and my American Girl doll. That's what it smelled like.

When my daughter was born, a friend gave me an assortment of fancy baby stuff from Target. I washed each set of outgrown clothes in that detergent before I packed them away in plastic bins. A few years later I opened them to sort through the stuff for keeping/selling, and the smell of my baby daughter, forgotten for years, totally slayed me.

Last edited by Sattua; 11-08-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:05 PM

At times my house (100-years-old) smells like my grandparents' home (they've been gone for 20+ years now). I think it's a mixture of mildew/old wood/plaster and lathe/damp basement. It sounds like an icky mixture, but I find it incredibly evocative in a very pleasant way.

The smell of old hardware stores. I grew up in a small town that had a traditional, independently-owned hardware shop. Anywhere I detect whiffs of oil, equipment grease, wood/sawdust, and old, oiled hardwood floors I am transported back to my little kid-ness. I also recently found a nearby indy drugstore that smells like the old-fashioned Rexall pharmacy we had.

My father was a truck driver and I went on a lot of hauls with him. The individual or combined scents of diesel fuel, diesel exhaust, brake burning, oil, and leather seats/trim is evocative and reminds me of my dad; same with tire stores. (I actually wish someone would bottle new tire smell. I would become addicted to whiffing it all day).

And railroad ties soaked in creosote and baking in the summer sun takes me back to many a childhood adventure.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:34 PM

Bengay for sore muscles. One of my old boyfriends worked at the post office bulk center loading trucks. When he got off work I used to help him spread it on his back. I hadn't smelled it for years and one day when I did I was right back in the '70s again.
Ground ivy in the hot sun - smells like my Grandparents backyard. Sometimes I smell it when I walk around the neighborhood and I just want to plant my face in someone's lawn.
Lilacs - they remind me of May, my sister and I carried them at her wedding in the backyard.
Camphor - smells like my Grandparent's basement.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:30 PM

The smell of dittos in elementary school. Haven't smelled it in decades, but I still remember it.

The smell of old books from my grandmother's house. I still have some of them.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:22 PM

I dislike the smell of cigarette smoke.

But I like to go to a Vietnamese cafe near here, where patrons sit outside to smoke and to drink extremely strong Vietnamese coffee. As I walk through them, the smoke and coffee smell takes me back to France, where every village cafe reeked of cigarettes and cafe noir.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:22 PM

Hoppes #9 will always remind me of my dad on his afternoon off; if I wanted to spend time w/ him I could sit and watch him clean his guns.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

The Missus insists on buying these gawdawful scented hand soap dispensers from, you know, that bath and whatever place in the malls. They're too expensive and, did I mention GAWDAWFUL smelling. Some things you can't fight. Pick your level of misery battles. Anyway, she bought a couple of scents home that nailed me. The Black Cherry, and thyme, I think, I didn't get the combo, resulted in me buying a 4-pack of fancy black cherry sodas on a hot summer's day, taking me back to the cans of Shasta we used to pound down. mmmm…Shasta…. The other was called Japanese Cherry Blossom, and I absolutely swear it took me right back to the gift shops of Expo 67 in Montreal, looking for a trinket for my girlfriend. I said she could get more of those.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:44 PM

Pledge dusting spray and a handiwipe. Saturday morning was house cleaning, somehow I always seemed to get dusting duty.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:18 AM

A certain smell - I believe it was heated milk or maybe heated soy milk - that reminds me of staying at my aunt's apartment around age 6, many years ago. I think it was part of the breakfast she would make for my cousins before they went off to school. Also a certain laundry detergent or whatnot that I also associate with that apartment. They still live in that same unit all these years afterwards, but that particular evocative home-cozy scent is gone.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

I am very anti-tobacco and can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. Unfortunately for me, I have a keen sniffer and if someone is smoking a block away, or even if they smoked earlier, I can still smell the remnants that emanate from the hair and clothes.

However, not too long ago, I caught a whiff of cigarette smoke that instantly took me back to when I was a boy, and visiting my Dad during the summers. My Dad was a wonderful man; I worshipped him as a child and he was my best friend as a young adult, until he died (way too young). He smoked for many years, until he quit cold turkey while I was a teen. He always smoked the same brand: Kent Golden Lights. I have to assume that what I smelled was someone smoking that same brand, as I've never had any sort of positive memory reaction from cigarette smoke before or since. I was standing there completely overwhelmed at how much I missed my Dad. All due to that cigarette.

I guess I should count myself lucky my Dad smoked what is now an obscure brand and not, say, Marlboros or Camels.

Last edited by divemaster; 11-09-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:23 PM

Irish Spring soap. My grandparents used it and their bathroom always smelled of it. Add percolated coffee and toasting English muffins and my memory of their house is complete.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:26 PM

I don't like to eat roast chestnuts, but the smell reminds me strongly of my childhood- especially of going to the Thanksgiving Parade as a kid.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:55 PM

Time capsule smells:

White Out
Rubber eraser (being used)
Magic Markers
Chalk
Elmer's Glue

Smell these and be ported back in time to your young school days.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:33 PM

I adored my grandad and followed him anywhere he would let me. I loved his smell - bay rum cologne and cherry pipe tobacco. Every Sat morning, we went to the feed store, and the combined effluvia od feed store - grain seed, fertilizer, paint, oiled machinery, eau de farm animal coming from the jackets of the patrons, etc., instantly conjures up those Sat mornings.

My parents always had a fancy Christmas party at our home. It was the era wheN matrons wore real fur and Estee Lauder Youth Dew perfume. When the guests had all arrived and the fur coats were all laid out on my parents' bed, I would sneak in and burrow down in all those soft furs smelling of Youth Dew.

Actual scents: My mother - Chanel #5; my dad - Creed Green Irish Tweed; my grandmother's wore Lucien LeLong's Sirocco and Guerlain's L'Heure Bleu.

And of course I am old enough to remember the wonderful smell of burning leaves.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

My paternal grandfather died when I was only about six or eight years old. Nearly the only memory I have of him is the smell of hot wiring, from the homemade model train layout in his basement.

I have many fond memories of my maternal grandmother. But a disproportionate amount of them involve the smell of apple cider vinegar. She was an amazing cook, and used it in many of her recipes.

I hope to continue forming memories of my mother for a good long time yet. But I strongly associate the smell of tomato plants with her, because she's always been an avid gardener.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC4941 View Post
Balsam trees - childhood Christmases. I remember opening the boxes of Christmas tree ornaments as a kid and the scent from many trees past had permeated the boxes

New crayons - Elementary school
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
Oh yes... Emeraude...

Right, the Christmas tree smell! And crayons.

My grandmother wore Emeraude.

The smell of mildew and bat crap takes me back to the barn at my grandparents summer farmhouse.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:41 PM

New crayons and Play-doh!

In my twenties and thirties (ages ago) I always had both of those in my office. Co-workers would stop in just to open a can of Play-doh and inhale with their eyes closed. Those smells were always good memories for everyone.

Of all senses, smell brings the strongest memories for me.

Tickle antiperspirant and Shower to Shower powder smells like my sister, Pierre Cardin and newly mowed grass smells like my brother.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombattver View Post
New crayons and Play-doh!

In my twenties and thirties (ages ago) I always had both of those in my office. Co-workers would stop in just to open a can of Play-doh and inhale with their eyes closed. Those smells were always good memories for everyone....
I love this!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:04 PM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

This is going to sound odd, but as I get older, I get nostalgic at the scent of dairy farms. My sons' soccer park is right by a farm. Every once in a while, the wind shifts, my nose fills up with eau de cow manure. While the kids are all grossed out, I'm suddenly ten years old, at my Grandpa's and going across the street to Uncle Art's to see my cousins.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth Paintcharge:

The smell of mildew and bat crap takes me back to the barn at my grandparents summer farmhouse.
Does it smell like victory?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 PM

Sweet Honesty will always remind me of my very first make-out session. I can no longer find Sweet Honesty in the wild but someone who knows my history gave me some Bath and Bodywash Pink Chiffon and that so very much reminded me of that momentous occasion.

I understand they don't make Pink Chiffon anymore. Too many young girls making out, I guess. Or old ladies remembering it.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
I understand they don't make Pink Chiffon anymore. Too many young girls making out, I guess. Or old ladies remembering it.
Or old ladies making out...
Old 11-17-2017, 10:23 PM

Every Walgreens I have been in, anywhere, has always had the same distinctive smell. They have managed this for over half a century. Every time I go to pick up a prescription I'm back shopping downtown with my grandmother. (that store is still there).

There is a perfume. I've never determined what it is but it can't be expensive or rare (although it's been many years since I have come across it's fragrance). One whiff and I am back in elementary school. Must have been worn by one of my teachers.

Bamboo... The slide rule I had in high school and first years of college. I still have it and occasionally pull it out of it's case for a good sniff. Puts me right back in high school physics class.

For me music can have the same effect. The right song comes on the radio and I am momentarily swept back to events of the time. For example, the opening base guitar line of Spirit in the Sky and I am back in the 9th grade.
Hey Jude... my first slow dance.