Old 11-02-2017, 02:15 PM

Have you ever fainted? What was the experience like?

I fainted once in my whole entire life. Maybe twice.

I was maybe in the second grade and my grandmother woke me up to go to school. She took one look at me and asked if I was sure I wanted to go to school. Now, I did not feel well at all but school was my favorite place to be-- all my friends were there-- and i HATED missing school. So I insisted I was fine, staggered to the bathroom, put the eyehook lock on the door and thought to myself-- Wow! I don't think I'm gonna be able to keep myself. . .. I remember beginning to fall and then. . . my grandmother frantically banging on the bathroom door, trying to knock it down while she yelled my name over and over. I also remember not wanting to move because the bathroom floor tiles were so nice and cool and I was so, so hot.

The second time I was on a field trip to a park. Some one called my name, I turned my head. . . and the next thing I knew, I was on all fours with a large crowd around me. Apparently I had wandered too close to the swings and someone called to warn me, when I turned my head and got clocked on the back of my skull by a very, very apologetic schoolmate. Everyone was concerned about my knee, even the teachers but all I could think about was my pounding head. Until they sat me down and I got a look at the gash on my knee that had poured out so much blood my gym sock was turning red. THEN my knee started hurting.

Those are my two fainting stories, although I'm not sure the second one counts.

P.S., I lived through both.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:16 PM

I've fainted quite a few times in my life, perhaps dozens of times. I tend to get faint in very hot weather, especially if I stand for a while. I also get faint if I am kneeling or crouching but then stand up too suddenly. I am pretty well practiced at how to cope, so I know how to fall or collapse safely in a safe position and just wait 10-20 seconds for it to pass. There was one time, though, at the age of 13, when I fell straight backwards/downwards in the middle of basketball practice and hit my skull hard on the concrete pavement. I was lucky to have no serious injury from it.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

One time I gave blood and I just wasn't prepared enough (hadn't eaten, hadn't drank enough, I don't remember) and I passed out. I had already donated and was getting my snacks and felt woozy then I woke up on the ground with someone putting cold compresses on my head and stomach. All good - I'm sure they deal with that all day!

I almost passed out another time from over heating and/or dehydration but I went and laid down on a cool floor as soon as the stars showed up.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:32 PM

Twice that I remember.

Once when I was young and sick and stood up quickly, then saw stars and then realized I was looking at the ceiling from the floor.

Another time I got a bunch of vaccinations at once for a trip to Africa, and the last one hurt a lot. I was sitting on the table and said to the nurse that I felt a little light-headed, and she closed the distance between us very quickly to lay me down on the exam table before I totally lost the power to remain upright. Good job, vaccination nurse.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggirl View Post
The second time I was on a field trip to a park. Some one called my name, I turned my head. . . and the next thing I knew, I was on all fours with a large crowd around me. Apparently I had wandered too close to the swings and someone called to warn me, when I turned my head and got clocked on the back of my skull by a very, very apologetic schoolmate. Everyone was concerned about my knee, even the teachers but all I could think about was my pounding head. Until they sat me down and I got a look at the gash on my knee that had poured out so much blood my gym sock was turning red. THEN my knee started hurting.
I would put that under the heading of getting knocked out, which is different from fainting, IMHO?

Back in high school, my friends and I would induce fainting for fun by hyperventilating and standing up quickly and holding our breath while bearing down (something like that, kids don't try this at home!) The experience of coming to was interesting in that it was like rebooting the brain. I remember coming to and looking around and being unable to retrieve the words for what I was looking at. A brief moment later it all came back to me. But for that short moment I thought, "Interesting, I've broken my brain. I wonder if I'll come back?"
Old 11-02-2017, 03:31 PM

I fainted twice. Both in the same day. Many years ago I had had surgery on my back to remove a cyst. While I was sleeping the stitches broke and I had bled a lot. I didn't realize how much blood I had lost when I woke up. I went into my bathroom and was looking at myself in the mirror and the next thing I knew I was on the floor and my mother was standing over me telling me we are going to go to the hospital.

I went to the ER and the surgeon came to look at me and explained the stitches had popped. He restitched them and they told me I could go. We walked outside and I waited on the curb while my mother pulled the car around and I fainted again. This time I felt it coming. I even said "Here it comes" when I went down. The next thing I knew I was being put into a wheelchair and brought back to the ER. This time they admitted me and gave me fluids. I stayed overnight.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Once: it was sort of a cross between getting knocked out and fainting. I was jumping off a merry-go-round and one of the bars hit me square in the solar plexus, and upon landing I couldn't breathe because it hurt so much. Not sure if it actually stopped me breathing and knocked me out or if I fainted from a vasovagal response. For an indeterminate amount of time I saw a pretty field with pschedelically-colored grass and flowers and then I woke up with people standing over me.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:50 PM

One time I stood up too soon when coming out from under a flatbed trailer and a sharp piece of angle iron jabbed me in the back. I continued walking for about 50 ft and then passed out. Upon coming to I passed out 3 more times in the next 1/2 hour. The ER Dr said I had bruised my kidney. Another time I was having a bowel movement when my blood pressure suddenly dropped. I passed out but still had some level of consciousness as I could hear my wife screaming but it sounded distant. She was telling the 911 operator I had no pulse and she was a trauma nurse.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:50 PM

Me? No, but the lil'wrekker is a fainter, I have caught her mid-faint many times. Doctor says it is from slight anemia. We expect it, so we are usually prepared, I say usually, it is always alarming! She had stitches one time in her chin from falling too near a table top. And she claims to have a sprained wrist, right now.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:54 PM

Marching band field show when I was in 10th grade. One minute I was scuttling to my position, the next I was waking up in an ambulance, parked next to the field. The only thing I can remember is feeling very warm and dizzy. It was a cool evening, but we were all wearing our lovely 100% heavy wool uniforms and massive nutcracker hats.

The second time was a few weeks into dialysis. I was already reclined in my chair, but passed out due to too much fluid being drawn. It dropped my blood pressure drastically and out I went. Came to with a bunch of people around me, my feet elevated, and an oxygen cannula stuck in my nostrils. My tech looked at a newbie he was training in, stated "Now, this is not what we want to happen...".
Old 11-02-2017, 03:57 PM

I have a debilitating needle phobia, and among my awful reactions to needles or even thinking about them is fainting. Once I managed to do it straight onto the floor of a drug store, woke up surrounded by people and by a pool of blood leaking from the back of my head, got carried away in an ambulance.

Not a fan of the experience.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Last Saturday morning, in fact.

I have been under treatment for significant health issues for about six months. It can make me lightheaded. It's what we used to call a 'head rush' in the 80s.

Saturday about 3am I woke needing to hit the head. I'm a 50-year-old man. Sue me. Instead of carefully going from horizontal to vertical I swung up like I would have before I got sick. I remember being standing at my bathroom door then waking up face down on the tile. Result: a missing toenail, massive bruising on my right leg and two cracked ribs from banging off the counter on my way down. No idea how long I was down there.

Being sick sucks ass.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:58 PM

A decade ago, I unknowingly had a case of walking pneumonia, which would cause coughing spells so severe I would be close to blacking out. I was sitting at the table once, reading the paper and *cough, cough, cough* and some more coughing and the world went bright yellow and next thing I knew, I'm on the floor, #2 dog licking my face, right hand middle finger bent back at an alarming angle.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:30 PM

I've had grand mal seizures, which I think is not terribly unlike fainting. In fact, my initial diagnosis was ''syncope'' so they thought I did faint, at first. When it happened to me, it happened without warning, and in every case I woke up on the ground/floor/bed without a clue what had happened. The first time I was on a hike with a bunch of acquaintances and we were going down a staircase that was embedded into the trail. My husband caught me before I could pitch face first down the staircase. When I woke up, I was sitting on the step and immediately tried to get up and keep going. Like, I had the sense that I was holding everyone back but I didn't know why or in what context. But they wouldn't let me get up and they called an ambulance. The ER decided I'd fainted despite the multiple witnesses to my convulsions.

The big difference, at least in my experience, is that when you come out of a grand mal seizure there's a good chance you won't know who the hell you are or what's going on for an uncomfortably long time. It takes me about 30 minutes after a grand mal to get my long-term memory back in place, and the short term is shot all to hell. My husband was present during the first seizure and immediately afterward I knew that I knew him but not how I knew him. In the second case, I had two seizures in a row while working in the office. When I came out of it, I didn't recognize my coworkers and I couldn't tell the EMT who was President or what year it was, but for some reason, I remembered where my husband worked. I had a later seizure again that night, but it must not have been as bad because the only thing I didn't know when I woke up was that I had another seizure. I ended up in the hospital for two days for observation. I lost my memory of pretty much the entire month leading up to the seizures.

It's definitely a scary thing to experience, especially knowing you have no warning. In every case, I was with people but you are so helpless and confused at first, it's like you are totally dependent on the kindness of strangers. I wonder if that's what it's like to suffer from dementia? My biggest fear is having it happen when I'm at home alone climbing a ladder or something and waking up injured and confused with nobody around.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:38 PM

When I was younger I was having multiple UTIs, and went to a urologist to see about them. He prescribed some sort of procedure where they dilated my urethra. They used no local anaesthetic, and it's as painful as it sounds. The morning leading up to the procedure I had to fast. After they were done and I was still in pain, they put me alone into a dressing room to get dressed. I passed out on a couch from lightheadedness and pain. It felt like a black buzzing cloud coming up on both sides of my head and enveloping my face. Gradually I became aware that a nurse was knocking at the door - not out of concern for me but to make me get out of there because the next patient needed to change clothes.

The procedure didn't make me stop getting UTIs, either.

Last edited by teela brown; 11-02-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Yes. I had something bad to eat in Bucharest, and the last thing I remember was the door opening to a bus heading for my hostel. The next thing, I was on a seat in the bus with a couple of Romanian ladies slapping my face and cooing over me. Apparently, I had literally fallen into the bus. I quickly recovered, got off at my stop, but I was sick in bed for a couple of days after that.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-02-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:07 PM
Sith Mod

I fainted once after punching a cactus.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:36 PM

I often get woozy and "gray out" when standing too suddenly...

But I went blind and deaf (but did not fall down!) when visiting a friend in a hospital burn ward. There was a little baby in the next bed, all bandaged up, and the thought of a tiny baby suffering from severe burns made me lose it.

My vision went first, and my hearing went next. I was able to stagger out into the corridor, and to brace myself against a wall. I *almost* fell down, but didn't quite. My sight came back first, but my hearing didn't come back for about a minute.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
I often get woozy and "gray out" when standing too suddenly...

But I went blind and deaf (but did not fall down!) when visiting a friend in a hospital burn ward. There was a little baby in the next bed, all bandaged up, and the thought of a tiny baby suffering from severe burns made me lose it.

My vision went first, and my hearing went next. I was able to stagger out into the corridor, and to brace myself against a wall. I *almost* fell down, but didn't quite. My sight came back first, but my hearing didn't come back for about a minute.
I lost my hearing and vision after falling down the stairs, once. I don't think I lost consciousness, but damn near. But I wasn't injured beyond a few bruises. I wonder what causes that response?
Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 PM

Once in school playing that game where you take deep breaths and someone then presses on the sides of your neck. It was lights out pretty fast and woke up with 2 students still hold my arms.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:05 PM

One time, Husband had a very high fever, which is something he's prone to. I was trying to get his fever down by getting him in the shower, and while I was adjusting the water he went to the toilet to pee. He did so, and then started falling over backwards. Fortunately I saw it out of the corner of my eye and was able to stop him from falling! He came back to conciousness sitting on the toilet backwards, with me scared spitless holding him up from behind.

He attributes it to the loss of so much superheated fluid all at once causing a rapid shift in body temperature. I'm just glad I was there.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:58 PM

Twice:
The first time I was about 15. I had gotten up from the couch and went into the kitchen to start lunch and the next thing I know I hear my mother yelling if I was ok, the sound of the burner metal thingies rattling as I lay over them and the blackness receded. Yeah, up too fast.

The second time was after the birth of my 3rd son. I had a headache that got worse to the point I sent my in-laws home. Then my body just felt weird. I clicked the call button and told them that. The nurse came in and I said again I felt weird and then... it felt like I had peed the bed.

Nope, I was hemorrhaging.

They (by then there were a few more people in the room) got me up to go to the bathroom and tons of blood flowed out. I, a brown person, turned grey. I buckled at the knees and the whole world went in and out.

Some more Pitocin, some stomach squeezing/kneading and a completely full chuck pad later I was ok.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:25 PM

I have never fainted. The closest I ever got to that was giving blood when I felt somewhat lightheaded but that's it.

When I was around 4-5 I played that game where you fall backwards and the other person catches you. When I fell my sister with busy talking with some girls so I fell on my head... It really hurt but I wasn't close to losing consciousness.

I have once met one person who never fainted and was on a quest to faint because he wanted to find out what that is like. He donated blood consecutively and some other risky stuff but was never able to faint.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:32 PM

I've fainted 4 times. Mostly for me my eyes will be wide open but everything fades to black and then very shortly thereafter I'm unconscoius. The first time I fainted I dreamed that I was being chased off a cliff by dinosaurs, it was a very pleasant sleep - I still remember it thirty something years later. I felt very refreshed when I woke up. Then my dad took me to the hospital to get stitches.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:32 PM

When I was about 15 I was walking through the kitchen at night and hit the top of my wrist on the corner of the kitchen counter. I stood there looking at it and the next thing I knew I was clawing my way out of deep red water while being torn at by demons. Opened my eyes and I was lying on my back on the kitchen floor with family members standing looking down at me. They heard the clunk when the back of my head hit the linoleum and then these weird groans.

I remember it took me some hours to mentally recover from that.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 AM

When I was a teenager, I strayed into an eating disorder. I wasn't eating much. I remember talking to my father and seeing stars. I could hear him saying my name, but it sounded very far away. The next thing I knew I was on the floor. Off I went to the doctor, who ultimately got me some help on the whole eating thing.

Much later, I was getting a spinal tap and I passed out. Medical procedures don't usually bother me. I'm one of those "pass me a mirror, I want to watch" folks. Something about the spinal tap caused a drop in pressure or something, because I went out. That time there were no pretty lights. It was just greying out.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:36 AM

I fainted for the first, and so far only, time in December. As happens nearly every time I get a cold, it took up residence in my chest, so I had a hellacious cough, as usual. On this particular day I stayed home from work, which turned out to be a good thing. I was sitting at my desk and typing when I had a violent coughing fit.

When I stopped coughing, I was really, really confused. At first I thought I was waking up and couldn't figure out why there was something hard and flat inches from my face. After several seconds I gathered enough wits about me to realize that I'd knocked over my chair and the thing in front of my nose what the table my mouse lives on. I'm damn lucky I just ended up with a few bruises and not a broken nose.

Having never fainted before then, I was shocked that regaining consciousness isn't like waking up. It never occurred to me that fainting would come with disorientation. Embarrassment if you did it in public, sure, but not having any idea what had happened? Very surprising.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
Having never fainted before then, I was shocked that regaining consciousness isn't like waking up. It never occurred to me that fainting would come with disorientation.
This.

I've had seizures twice that knocked me out. Both times I felt a sudden dizziness for a second or less. Next thing I know is a very strong sense of confusion (as I'm waking up), as if my brain was actually rebooting itself. (Which is probably not far from the truth.) Both times I was only out for about 5 seconds. The experience is completely different than waking up from sleep.

J.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:13 AM
Charter Member

When I was very little, maybe three years old, I was put on a rocking horse in a playground. Then my older brother rocked it so fast I went flying and hit my head on the horse's head, and then a few minutes later I came to again, on the side of the playground now, surrounded by my mother and sister.

I have hated those particular rocking horses ever since. I don't think they are around much anymore, precisely because they were so dangerous.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:30 AM

Air Force basic training. 1st day after they issued us uniforms. This was in June in San Antonio Texas, so it was hot. We're all standing at attention in front of our wall lockers while the TI is stalking up and down the aisle between the beds yelling at every one. I could feel it coming on so I tried to get the TI's attention, but he just yelled over his shoulder for me to "shut up" then continued on with his previous yelling.

I literally got tunnel vision where everything turned black except a hole in the middle, then I woke up on the floor. The guy standing across the aisle from me said it looked really cool. I kind of went straight back against the wall locker, then slowly slid down to my knees, then toppled straight forward onto my face.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:58 AM

Once I tripped over the mess in my bedroom and caught the palm of my hand on a sharp surface while heading south and down quite hard. Clean, slicey cuts really squick me out, especially on my hands or fingers, and I often have a 'need to sit down' type of moment when that happens. After getting up and walking to the kitchen to run the tap over my hand I began to feel the usual woozy. After staring into the cut and the red water coming off it for half a minute (how dumb was that!), I got lost in a really dizzy, really weird place.. Mum says she managed to prop me up just as I was heading down again, awkwardly but safely thanks to her effort.

The actual experience felt like my consciousness was a record that was skipping beats, back and forth as I tried apparently to fight it. I don't actually remember coming to rest on the floor though.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Twice. Once in high school. I was sick with some intestinal distress. Sat on the pot. Stood up to wipe , vision started tunneling, knees buckled, and I woke up in the bathtub. Must have been only out for a couple seconds.

Second time, I run to catch a tram in Budapest to get to work in the morning. All of a sudden I feel a little bit nauseous and dizzy. I assumed it was just from the sudden exertion. So I sit down. But then I feel really bad, like I need to vomit. So I think, okay, in two stops, there's a McDonald's--I'll get off there. I get up at the stop, tunnel vision, and the next thing I know, I have several Hungarians yelling Segíthetek? ("May I help you") at me as I'm sprawled out beside the tram outside at the stop. One man helps me up, says something about me having a weak heart, and walks me to work (which is also on the same block as McDonald's.) Turns out I had some sort of panic attack (which I was unfamiliar with at the time), and that set off a bout that lasted a couple of years of anxiety attacks, particularly on public transportation. Never did quite figure out why it happened then and there. It's not like there were unusual stresses in my life, just the normal ones. But, fuck, did that anxiety crap throw me off for a couple of years.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-03-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:34 AM

Twice

1. I was a bridesmaid in a Catholic wedding with a full mass. It was hot and we had to stand the whole time. I was standing between the 2 other girls (thank God) and all of a sudden my scalp began to prickle and sweat started pouring down my face. The priest was approaching us to give us communion and as I watched him come towards me my vision started narrowing to a pinprick. The other 2 girls must have realized what was happening and they both grabbed my arms. I suddenly felt better and thankfully never fell.

2. One night I started hemorrhaging due to fibroid cysts. I got up, went into the bathroom and went down like a ton of bricks narrowly missing the corner of the vanity with my head. I ended up having an emergency hysterectomy a few days later.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:37 AM
born to be shunned

A couple times. Mostly the usual slightly dizzy followed by waking up but at least one time a gray-out followed by passing out. More G's than I was ready for on a rollercoaster.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I was staying in motel while traveling for work. I had just woken up and I remember putting my arms up to stretch. The next thing I knew I was laying on the floor on my left side, very confused. I eventually tried to get up, putting weight on my left arm and then I passed out again. This time when I came to, I realized that left shoulder was very unhappy. I had apparently fallen backward, hitting my shoulder on the wall, giving myself a nice scrape on my shoulder blade and later some spectacular bruising all over my left side.

After pretending everything was fine for a few days, I finally sought medical attention. Then I spent several weeks in physical therapy for my shoulder.

I do not recommend.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I almost feinted twice, once when I was eight, and once when I was ten. The first time, I was sick and asked to leave class to go to the bathroom. I tried to enter the bathroom, but I felt dizzy and my vision went red. The door was open, and I bumped into the door as I tried to open it. The second time was when I had the first cast removed from my arm. At the time, I attributed it to the smell. (Full-arm cast, with no washing for weeks.)
Old 11-03-2017, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Fully, once, when I was 16 or 17. I was accompanying someone whose dog was being put to sleep. Something about it made me woozy. I remember walking to a clearer spot deliberately, then hitting my head on the way down. I recovered pretty quickly.

And, my wife will never let me live down the time I nearly passed out. I was in the room with her when she had an amniocentesis done, while she was pregnant with the little Torqueling. The room smelled all antiseptic and hospital-ly, and then they drew out the fluid, and it was one of the most disgusting things I've seen. I swear, it looked like poison. Green with stuff floating in it, like swamp water. I got really really light-headed. The reason that my wife won't let me forget it: all the nurses rushed to look after me, even though she was the one who'd just had the procedure. I think they just knew that if I went down, they weren't going to be able to lift me back up (I'm a big fella). They helped me to a chair, got me something to drink, and everything. Meanwhile, my wife was still on her table, like, "um, remember me?!"
Old 11-03-2017, 01:23 PM

This thread is great!
I have low blood pressure and pass out far too often. I've taken to studying my reactions before, during, and after as it's quite fascinating.

Sometimes it's just what I call 'greying out' and I don't lose consciousness completely. Sound and vision start to fade and I throw myself onto a soft surface as quickly as possible. If I can lower my head then I will usually pull back.

But sometimes it's a total blackout. The cool thing about that is that I usually have no memory of the 5-10 seconds before I blacked out. So I don't recall the fading of my vision and hearing. As an IT guy the analogy I use is that my short term memory is stored in volatile cache and doesn't get written to disc when the plug gets pulled. I'm sure a proper neuroscientist would tell me I'm wrong though.

My hearing always comes back first, followed by my sense of touch as I realise I've landed on something hard. Vision is always last. This seems to be the reverse order in which they go during a grey out.

Oddly the first thing I hear is what I assume to be my heartbeat. It's a loud thumping noise that feels like it's vibrating my whole body. Then noises from the surroundings start to fade in and I can't hear it anymore.

My blood pressure is due to a weak thyroid which occasionaly decides to work correctly. When that has happened in the past I have sometimes lost a huge amount of weight in a very short period of time. This tends to screw up my glucose and insulin levels and I end up with a case of pseudo diabetes while my pancreas decides how heavy I am.

I've blacked out because of that and it's a very different experience. That feels like something is gradually draining from my body from my head to my toes. I feel cold and shivery and then my senses start to fade as above. It takes about a minute as opposed to the 5-10 seconds for blood pressure.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:48 PM

I've been knocked out a few times in kid sports-related mishaps (baseball to the snout, etc) and it was like a period of nothing, then waking up and taking about 15 seconds to recover who/what/where/why details. I never went to the ER, I was from a family of the 1970's "hard knocks" philosophy (literally!)

Five years ago one night I had three grand mal seizures; it was the same "nothingness," but I couldn't recoup any details between episodes. My wife said that in the ambulance and ER I kept asking the same what happened/where am I questions over and over. It took me a few days to actually recover some basic details and I've forever lost about seven hours of any memories from that night.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:05 AM

One incident of fainting, as a teenager in a karate class who'd kind of forgotten to eat or sleep for the last couple of days. I stepped forward to throw a punch and just kept going down.

The other fun thing I've had is the Golgi Tendon Reflex. That's where your joint sends an urgent message that it's worried the tendon is going to pull away. Your body responds by immediately cutting all power to your voluntary muscles. When that happens at the bottom of a well over bodyweight squat and you find yourself suddenly lying on the ground looking up at the bar... the guy who invented those safety rails is owed a drink.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burpo the wonder mutt View Post
A decade ago, I unknowingly had a case of walking pneumonia, which would cause coughing spells so severe I would be close to blacking out. I was sitting at the table once, reading the paper and *cough, cough, cough* and some more coughing and the world went bright yellow and next thing I knew, I'm on the floor, #2 dog licking my face, right hand middle finger bent back at an alarming angle.
Almost exactly what happened to me, except my dog didn't lick me and nothing got injured. It happened twice. I called my doctor and said maybe he should order me not to drive to work, which he thought was a good idea.
This was after I was diagnosed with pneumonia after sleeping 18 hours. Never had to go to the hospital at least.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennshark View Post
Five years ago one night I had three grand mal seizures; it was the same "nothingness," but I couldn't recoup any details between episodes. My wife said that in the ambulance and ER I kept asking the same what happened/where am I questions over and over. It took me a few days to actually recover some basic details and I've forever lost about seven hours of any memories from that night.
Same here (three seizures in one day.) I lost about a month of memory. In addition to prolonged disorientation and memory loss, I also feel intense nausea after a seizure. When I think about the fact that some people deal with multiple seizures a day, I can't even imagine. Just having those three wiped me out for the next month. It did some other bizarre things to my brain, like undoing about 10 years of mental health progress overnight (that part eventually recovered, at least.)
Old 11-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Almost exactly what happened to me, except my dog didn't lick me and nothing got injured. It happened twice. I called my doctor and said maybe he should order me not to drive to work, which he thought was a good idea.
This was after I was diagnosed with pneumonia after sleeping 18 hours. Never had to go to the hospital at least.
Extremely prudent; kudos to you! I had an almost-faint while driving; not fun. Trying to pull off the road at 60MPH in bumper-to-bumper traffic while feeling a black-out coming on is quite the experience. The weirdest part is my eyes never closed, vision just went yellow, then faded back in. Later that day, I made the Dr. appointment (not a moment too soon), then the above-mentioned coughing/fainting spell hit. I pay very close attention to bouts of coughing, now.

Last edited by burpo the wonder mutt; 11-04-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:53 AM

At least twice. Both times I was standing...then next thing I knew I was on the floor.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:06 PM

Never fainted, but came really close once.

I cut my hand really bad, blood everywhere, I started getting like a tunnel vision and the room seemed to be getting darker and darker.

I was able to pull out of it without passing out, it was a scary experience.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ View Post
One time I gave blood and I just wasn't prepared enough (hadn't eaten, hadn't drank enough, I don't remember) and I passed out. I had already donated and was getting my snacks and felt woozy then I woke up on the ground with someone putting cold compresses on my head and stomach. All good - I'm sure they deal with that all day!

I almost passed out another time from over heating and/or dehydration but I went and laid down on a cool floor as soon as the stars showed up.
Came close twice, but managed to sit down with my head on my knees, and got better. Once I had just donated blood, and the other time I had a high fever, and was also taking cough medicine with codeine, and trying to "play through," so I went to synagogue services, and stood up for the Amidah prayer.

Both times, the same thing happened. The world began to flash behind a black latticework, if that makes sense-- half the world was black in a lattice shape, and what I could see through it was flashing. I felt dizzy, and things were getting dimmer. I was still coherent, and told the Red Cross people "I think I'm going to pass out." People took my arms, led me to a chair, and pushed my head down. After a few minutes, they asked if I felt better, and when I said yes, they gave me two orange juices. I was supposed to drive myself home, but they called someone to come in a cab for me and drive me home in my car.

At shul, I sat right back down, and put my head down; my aunt told the rabbi I was sick, and she (the rabbi) let me lie down on the couch in her office. I fell asleep. My aunt was not happy that I lied about my temperature being down, but she waited until I was better to chew me out for it.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
Once in school playing that game where you take deep breaths and someone then presses on the sides of your neck. It was lights out pretty fast and woke up with 2 students still hold my arms.
My friends and I in 7th-8th grade called this the "Fainting Game". We would hyperventilate and then cross our arms and hold the last breath, and someone behind you grabs you around your arms and squeezes you and lifts you off the ground until you pass out, then they lay you down and wait for you to wake up.

I recall having seriously intense dreams from this that seemed to last forever, but when I would wake up I was told I was only out for a few seconds. This would also produce that buzzy feeling in your head similar to inhaling nitrous.

I have fainted "honestly" a couple times. The first one was at the funeral of a friend whom had died in a car accident after leaving a party, driving drunk and stoned (I was the one whom gave him the weed, too, in school earlier that same day...). We attended a Catholic High School together in Fort Worth Texas, and the church where the funeral was held was very hot inside and I was wearing a suit. I was overwhelmed by the heat, sadness and my guilt and I passed out, fell forward and cracked my forehead on the edge of the pew in front of me. I woke up outside, surrounded by friends. I have never told anyone about my complicity in his death, ever, until just now.

The most recent one was when I was back at my house and I was on a new drug for my Raynaud's Syndrome and I had combined it with alcohol. I was sitting in my computer chair and the next thing I knew I was lying facedown on the floor with blood POURING out of my face. When I fell, I had cracked my forehead on the metal gas valve for my dryer that was coming up out of the floor and it had a deep cut that was bleeding like hell, and so was my lip where a tooth had pierced through it. That was a hell of a mess. I should have gotten stitches for my head but didn't, now I have a small valley type scar there for life.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:02 AM
Charter Member

I think so. When I was 9 or 10 my sister did something that made me mad and I ran after her. We ran into the room where my mother and father were.

The next thing I recall was half lying half sitting on the couch with my mother holding me. She was telling my father. "He hasn'g done that in years." Apparently I got quite mad at ages 5 and 6 and would faint or something. I don't recall now exactly what my parents said it was, but they'd apparently talked to a doctor about it.

That was the only incident I recall at all and it's never happened since so whatever it was I guess I outgrew it.

My wife was quite light-headed once when we were grocery shopping after we'd both given blood earlier in the day. While we checked out, I had her sit on a bench in the front of the store. When she stood up she collapsed and I caught her.
Old 11-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
Same here (three seizures in one day.) I lost about a month of memory. In addition to prolonged disorientation and memory loss, I also feel intense nausea after a seizure. When I think about the fact that some people deal with multiple seizures a day, I can't even imagine. Just having those three wiped me out for the next month. It did some other bizarre things to my brain, like undoing about 10 years of mental health progress overnight (that part eventually recovered, at least.)
My youngest brother died from a seizure and/or brain bleed from hitting his head during a seizure. He was epileptic and regularly had severe, terrifying grand mals. My sister has whatever that "blank stare/checkout for a few minutes" epilepsy condition (or so she claims: she loves medical attention and it's difficult to know what's really going on, she's demanded and received unnecessary surgical procedures at least twice.

It took me a looong time to feel like myself again, and occasionally I still feel like I've not fully recovered (as I've posted before, despite a family history of epilepsy, the seizure was most likely sparked by long-term Tramadol use for a foot condition).

I have to say, though, I felt absolutely euphoric for a few days afterward. I now know why some epileptics kindle seizures on purpose.
Old 11-05-2017, 01:03 PM

A few times!

I fainted once after I cut my thumb really bad and had to get stitches. I fainted as soon as the needle came toward my hand. I don't know why they felt the need to wake me up before continuing. I too have a debilitating, extreme phobia of needles. I think the fact that I knew I had no choice, my thumb and side of my had were wrecked and I HAD to have it sewn up was just so overwhelming.

I fainted again when my ex got hit by a car and I knew he was about to go to jail. It was really hot out and the EMT said I likely got overheated along with a panic attack. I don't remember anything about it except after I discovered my glasses were no longer on my head, they were several feet away and broken.

I didn't faint again until the day my ex called to say he lost his immigration case and was already in Mexico. I don't really remember it at all. My daughter said I collapsed downwards. I didn't fall forward or backward. She said it was like I imploded, and she briefly thought I had dropped dead.

I fainted recently again during a really bad argument with my daughter. This is such a rare thing and my emotions and probably my blood pressure got super high. Again, just dropped. She said I was also jerking a little and thought I was having a seizure so I went to the hospital that time. Everything was fine, although they said my blood pressure was a bit above acceptable.