Old 11-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

Rainy day comfort food

Winter is upon us here in the soggy PNW. Today was solid rain from start to finish. This means that winter comfort food season is also here. Last week we had ham and scalloped potatoes. Tonight it was meat loaf and baked potatoes, although I admit I look forward more to the cold meat loaf sandwiches on sourdough with some mayo in the coming days.

Next week (or two) will be the ultimate in comfort food, of course, with all the turkey meals and sandwiches. Turkey pot pie is a fave, as is turkey curry.

What do you resort to during the winter doldrums?
Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 PM

Escargot, a big thick New York steak, baked potato and asparagus. Lots of beer.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:56 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Bourbon. Lots and lots of bourbon.

When it finally turns to winter down here, the fallbacks are beef stew, chicken tortilla soup and yes, meatloaf. Done in two loaf pans because we are a mixed marriage (gravy/ketchup). I've had a bumper crops of peppers this season, so the freezer is full of spicy additions to whatever dish is on the menu. Fresnos, Cow Horns, Patrons, Jalapeños, Asian Death peppers...you name it, it produced this year.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Chunky Sirloin Burger soup and garlic bread
Old 11-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Ooooo...you HAVE to do mashed potatoes with meatloaf! And generally with peas. Which in winter, you have to resort to frozen. The best part is scooping up a bite of meatloaf along with some peas and mashed potatoes. And gravy.

Most kinds of homemade soup. I finished the last of the Tuscan bean with escarole today. Split pea, cabbage, chowders, and all kinds of chicken soup, particularly chicken with dumplings. And asopao, a thick Caribbean rice soup made with shrimp or pork or chicken.

Casseroles — or hotdish, for our upper-Midwest friends. I finished a small gratin Savoyard today for breakfast, with a couple of fried eggs laid over it. (Gratin Savoyard is thin-sliced seasoned potatoes layered with Gruyere, a half-cup of strong meat stock poured over, and baked until the top browns and the spuds have absorbed all the liquid)

Speaking of hot and brown, a Hot Brown Sandwich. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Brown

Choucrorute garni. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choucroute_garnie
Old 11-15-2017, 09:22 PM

Red Beans and Rice! Beef stew is also a favorite.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Red Beans and Rice!
Copy this! Oddly enough, many N’Awlins staples, designed to entice the appetite when it’s 98 degrees and soddingly humid, are GREAT cold/rainy comfort food. Gumbos, jambalaya, grillades, etoufee, dirty rice...
Old 11-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Charter Member

Today (and yesterday), it was Hungarian goulash (soup). I can never get tired of the stuff. I also have some chicken thighs in the fridge that I was just about ready to make into paprikash today, but had enough leftovers of the soup that I thought I should get through that first. But what I really wanted to do with the paprikash is make it into Hortobágyi palacsinta, which are crepes rolled with the meat part of the paprikash within, and served with the paprikash sauce poured over it. Looking something like this. But that's a little bit of a PITA to make.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:36 PM

It's not raining here -- yet. Supposed to start tonight, though. I'm just doing a sausage and veg traybake - bangers, cauli, brussels sprouts, potato, onion and garlic cloves, with some mustard/olive oil/herbs mashed up and drizzled over. Smells good.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:17 AM

Hey to you, Chefguy - from soggy Raleigh Hills

Some rainy-day favorites 'round here includes: calico beans(with extra bacon, natch), crusty sour dough french slathered in butter, bisquick-crusted hamburger pie, potato-cheese casserole*, sauerkraut soup using leftover turkey/chicken n veggies

Frozen cubed potatoes O'Brian (has onions n peppers) 2 small or a large bag
Sour Cream - pint (regular or lite)
Cheddar cheese, small chunks and/or shredded(or Jack, Swiss, or whatever) a couple of cups or so
Can of cream of chicken soup
Corn flakes crumbs to top it, or just more cheese...

Mix the sc n soup together, add in the cheese, mix with the taters,
Put in a casserole dish, add topping of choice, bake at 325 for around an hour
Old 11-16-2017, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Bourbon. Lots and lots of bourbon.

When it finally turns to winter down here, the fallbacks are beef stew, chicken tortilla soup and yes, meatloaf. Done in two loaf pans because we are a mixed marriage (gravy/ketchup). I've had a bumper crops of peppers this season, so the freezer is full of spicy additions to whatever dish is on the menu. Fresnos, Cow Horns, Patrons, Jalapeños, Asian Death peppers...you name it, it produced this year.
You should try free-forming your meatloaf, or form it in the pan and then shake it out onto a baking pan. That way you get crusty goodness all the way around. I glaze mine rather than make any gravy. Not sure why, as gravy is a beverage to me. I'm jealous of your peppers; they just never do well in my garden for some reason.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:29 AM

Chili and cornbread. Hungarian goulash with egg noodles. Ham and scalloped potatoes, or sweet potato casserole.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 AM

Open faced hot roast beef or turkey sammiches. Beef or Chicken stew. One thing I made for the first time last Sunday was sausage, bacon, mushrooms, and peppers. That will be making a return engagement.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:09 AM

Stewed beans, typically, but in this second half of the year I've discovered beef cheeks. The cheek is actually the fresh meat from the jaw muscle (not cured or smoked like pork jowl). Less than 30 minutes in a pressure cooker produces what is easily the most tender and appetizing beef I've ever eaten. I'm still working on the right ingredients, but if you cook the cheeks with vegetables, set aside the meat and blend the vegetables into the cooking liquid, you can reduce the liquid to create an unbelievably tasty sauce. So, probably mashed potatoes, too.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:50 AM

This is when I pull out the venison roasts from the freezer and make stews in hearty red wine sauces, served with roasted root veggies.

Grilled cheese sandwiches made with good cheese on hearty farmhouse home baked bread served with impossibly thick tomato bisque soup.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:27 AM

I don't know how you guys find time to cook so much, every second I'm away from my laptop is time I can't learn something new, work on my Youtube project, or watch a movie or show that has to be focused on.

Boiling water and making pasta and putting condiments on it is already enough time!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 AM

I've discovered the magic of gnocchi. My husband isn't a big pasta fan like I am, neither of us are crazy about rice, but gnocchi hits all our carb-loving notes, especially at this time of the year. It doesn't need a sauce, either.

This recipe has become a quick favorite and can be adapted in a million ways. I usually add some kind of chicken sausage to it, like andouille.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:02 AM

I love the food threads here! Especially when I'm sitting unbreakfasted at my computer and drooling on the keyboard as I type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Chili and cornbread. ....
Have y'all ever made a pot of chili, mixed up a batch of cornbread (an envelope mix is fine), then poured the batter into the chili as it cooks? The cornbread batter completely sinks, then magically rises to the top and forms a yummy crust. The chili doesn't have to be in a shallow vessel-- works great in a Dutch oven.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:06 AM

During the late summer months, my wife makes her famous sauce from all the harvested tomatoes out of the garden. We eat some, but freeze a lot too....then when the weather gets gloomy, we make all things pasta with that sauce. Spaghetti & meatballs is my personal fave.....and then of course, if there's leftovers, I make a righteous meatball sandwich for lunch. NOM!
Old 11-16-2017, 10:39 AM

I had Hamburger Stroganof on egg noodles.As comforting as comfort food gets.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
I had Hamburger Stroganof on egg noodles.As comforting as comfort food gets.
I haven't had that in decades, for some reason. Must revisit. I also like chicken a la king and Swiss steak.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSundial View Post
I don't know how you guys find time to cook so much, every second I'm away from my laptop is time I can't learn something new, work on my Youtube project, or watch a movie or show that has to be focused on.

Boiling water and making pasta and putting condiments on it is already enough time!
Preparing a fine meal is like making art, except that afterward you get to eat it.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
...Swiss steak.
Ever do a steak pizzaiola, the Italo-American version of Swiss steak?

You know how nothing satisfies like a good pizza? You know how nothing satisfies like a good steak? Well, steak pizzaiola combines those two things.

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 11-16-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
I love the food threads here! Especially when I'm sitting unbreakfasted at my computer and drooling on the keyboard as I type.

Have y'all ever made a pot of chili, mixed up a batch of cornbread (an envelope mix is fine), then poured the batter into the chili as it cooks? The cornbread batter completely sinks, then magically rises to the top and forms a yummy crust. The chili doesn't have to be in a shallow vessel-- works great in a Dutch oven.
THAT sounds really interesting. And I'm making chili tonight...

It's really that simple? How does it get crusty? Do you have to put the whole thing in the oven
Old 11-16-2017, 11:32 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

For me, comfort food is homemade soup. Even better with freshly baked bread or rolls, but good soup works with Keebler crackers, too!

Just the other day, I made some potato soup that was sooooooooo good! I have a hankerin' for veggie beef - maybe I'll make up a batch this weekend. And we haven't had bean soup in a while. Or chicken noodle. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm soup!!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Ever do a steak pizzaiola, the Italo-American version of Swiss steak?

You know how nothing satisfies like a good pizza? You know how nothing satisfies like a good steak? Well, steak pizzaiola combines those two things.
Hmmm, never made it. Is it anything like brasciola (which I make and love)?
Old 11-16-2017, 11:56 AM
Writer on the storm

So far, my cool-weather cooking has been confined to gumbo and one batch of chili. I'm dying to make some vegetable soup; since I started putting cabbage in it, I can't get enough of the stuff.

I've recently discovered galettes, and have made several of the savory variety. My favorite is a pizzaeque concoction with ricotta cheese, zucchini, and tomatoes.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Hmmm, never made it. Is it anything like brasciola (which I make and love)?
Lessee...when I make brasciole or Creole daube, my aim is to jam most of the meat flavor into the SAUCE, which is spooned over pasta and becomes the main attraction...the braised meat is sliced and served alongside, but it’s the sauce, simmered for hours with the meat, that everyone oohs and ahhs over.

In steak pizzaiola, the steak is grilled or pan-fried until slightly underdone, the pre-cooked marinara is added to the pan, and the beef is only braised for a few minutes to finish cooking it. The steak is the focus, and there’s only a scant amount of sauce for the pasta.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/steak-pizzaiola

Last edited by Ukulele Ike; 11-16-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 11-16-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
THAT sounds really interesting. And I'm making chili tonight...

It's really that simple? How does it get crusty? Do you have to put the whole thing in the oven
I've only ever done it in a Dutch oven on top of the stove. I don't see why it wouldn't work in the oven.

Did I mention COVER THE CHILI while it's cooking.

As for crustiness... the cornbread is definitely done. I mean, when it rises and sets, the top is dry and no longer "batter." I guess if you want crustiness and you do it in the oven, you could uncover it for the last (I dunno) 10-15 minutes or so?

Do report back.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What do you resort to during the winter doldrums?
I warmed up some leftover meatloaf last night. I make it with 2 pounds of beef and 1 pound of pork, so there's a lot.

Mrs. L.A. likes soup when it's dreary out. She'll make 'chili' from canned chili, canned vegetables, canned tomatoes, and some canned stuff. Or she'll get some pre-made soup from the supermarket or co-op deli. Or make Campbell's. Last week I made beef-and-bean-and tomato chili and cornbread because the weather was cold and wet. That was nice.

One time when Mrs. L.A. wasn't feeling well, I made loco moco. She found that a comforting food.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSundial View Post

For me, cooking is not a chore, it something I love to do. It relaxes me and destresses me, plus I can eat a lot of things I can’t get elsewhere (like the two dishes I mentioned.) I cook usually at least five days a week, with Sundays at my parents, and one day where I am a little lazy and just want leftovers or a meal out. We eat out maybe two to three times a month.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyChatMom View Post
For me, comfort food is homemade soup. Even better with freshly baked bread or rolls, but good soup works with Keebler crackers, too! !
Good soup is great winter food. I made a jalapeno popper soup last weekend as an experiment; it basically came out as cream of jalapeno with chicken, topped with a sprinkle of cheddar cheese and black pepper. It went well with both crackers and tortilla chips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
So far, my cool-weather cooking has been confined to gumbo and one batch of chili. I'm dying to make some vegetable soup; since I started putting cabbage in it, I can't get enough of the stuff.
Chicken and sausage gumbo is my go-to for cold, rainy weather. It hasn't been chilly enough here for a gumbo-cooking yet.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

A potato soup sounds awfully tempting right now.

I made an enormous pot of Polish-style tripe soup last Saturday and promptly froze it in quart and pint-sized containers...it improves with age. I also promised at least a quart of it to a Trinidadian friend of mine; although she grew up with Caribbean tripe recipes, she and her husband love this version.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/20545/tr...r-flaczki.html
Old 11-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
I made an enormous pot of Polish-style tripe soup...
Never had Polish-style tripe soup, but Mrs. L.A. seems a little queasy whenever I offer to open a can of Juanita's menudo. Her loss.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
I warmed up some leftover meatloaf last night. I make it with 2 pounds of beef and 1 pound of pork, so there's a lot.

Mrs. L.A. likes soup when it's dreary out. She'll make 'chili' from canned chili, canned vegetables, canned tomatoes, and some canned stuff. Or she'll get some pre-made soup from the supermarket or co-op deli. Or make Campbell's. Last week I made beef-and-bean-and tomato chili and cornbread because the weather was cold and wet. That was nice.

One time when Mrs. L.A. wasn't feeling well, I made loco moco. She found that a comforting food.
My meatloaf has 1.5 pounds of 20% ground beef and a half pound of ground lamb. I primarily use Alton Brown's recipe, which is very good. Sandwiches with cold loaf, mayo and sweet pickles, salt & pepper on sourdough. Perhaps a dab of mustard.

Love me some beef stew, especially after finding this recipe.

And of course, Sunday gravy with braised meat cuts and big Italian meatballs. Sometimes I don't even bother with the pasta, or maybe add some white beans to it and call it soup.

The food cart down the street makes honest-to-pete Cajun food, with real tasso and andouille shipped up from NOLA. Red beans and rice, gumbo, shrimp etoufee and jambalaya. ah-HEEEE!

Last edited by Chefguy; 11-16-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I primarily use Alton Brown's recipe, which is very good.
I use my dad's recipe, which he probably got off the back of the box of Lipton's Onion Soup Mix. I can't remember ever having meat loaf that was significantly better, but I've had meat loaf that was much worse. Dad's meat loaf is comfort food for me.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:00 PM

I was going to make some homemade chicken soup and realize I really not going to be able to eat it when I just had my wisdom teeth pulled out . I love this on a cold rainy day like we're having right now. Chili and cornbread is yummy too.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You should try free-forming your meatloaf, or form it in the pan and then shake it out onto a baking pan. That way you get crusty goodness all the way around.
Freeform is the way to go for smoked meatloaf, too. Mound it up on a cookie cooling grate over a catchpan for the copious drippings. All that surface area for the smoke to get in there as well as the better crust to moist ratio.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:25 PM

Oh my, this is a great thread. I like to do beef stew, soups, lasagna, a big pot of meatballs, pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. I’m getting hungry and the Mac and cheese in the oven won’t be done for awhile. That’s another one I like to do on cold, rainy/snowy days. I like to do ham and cabbage, too. We’re not big on corn beef so I do it with ham.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:18 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

Quote:
My meatloaf has 1.5 pounds of 20% ground beef and a half pound of ground lamb. I primarily use Alton Brown's recipe, which is very good. Sandwiches with cold loaf, mayo and sweet pickles, salt & pepper on sourdough. Perhaps a dab of mustard.
Neither of us likes lamb in the least, so we swap it for ground pork. Your sandwich is right on, except I use sweet relish instead of the pickles. I find it spreads out the pickly goodness into every bite.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:25 PM

Hmm, cold weather food...I don't have particular foods associated with seasons for the most part. Do kinda of prefer to keep colds sandwich out of cold weather (and never buy them for lunch - just don't like paying for a cold sandwich). I guess for cold weather, I'm slightly more inclined to casseroles. Certain amount of liquid just makes the food stay warm longer. Other than that - camp stew. With Townhouse crackers.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:31 PM

Hot chocolate.

Angry balls (basically a boilermaker but instead of beer and whiskey you use hard cider and fireball whiskey). Heat it up in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to make it really good for cold days.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Neither of us likes lamb in the least, so we swap it for ground pork. Your sandwich is right on, except I use sweet relish instead of the pickles. I find it spreads out the pickly goodness into every bite.
I can dig it. We can our own bread & butter pickles, and they're the bomb.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:58 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member

That's cheating!
Old 11-16-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
That's cheating!
...unless you share!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
...unless you share!
I'll send you some. All I need is a valid credit card number and your SSN.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:11 AM
Charter Member

Sausage & Peppers.

Gumbo. With shrimp! I can do okra in mine, others don't care for it, so I usually leave it out.

Chili (my variant, I call "Steak Chili;" just substitute stew beef for ground beef) and corn bread over rice or macaroni (Chili Mac).
Old 11-17-2017, 08:19 AM

I would love meatloaf sandwiches if I could figure out how to make a meatloaf that holds together when sliced up for same.

I want my homemade chicken soup with kluski noodles or homemade veggie soup and the more cabbage the better.

Last edited by DummyGladHands; 11-17-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 AM

I've got the makings of chocolate a la taza from Amatller That's the kind of chocolate usually associated with churros. Planning on making me a cup this Sunday. When we were little it was an occasional winter-Sunday treat; I'd spend over half an hour just scrapping chocolate shavings off the bar, Amatller kindly sells it in shavings form. It was also part of Sunday breakfast in my dorm: during a year in which the rest of the meals had gone completely downhill, we still agreed that Sunday breakfast made up for "if it's peas, it's Tuesday".

Cocoa has to make do when one can't find a properly stiff chocolate, but it's not really the same.

Last edited by Nava; 11-17-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

What's this... rain? of which you speak?

Seriously, it's mac-n-cheese for me, with a little bacon if it's handy.