Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Merry Rantmas! (December Mini-rants)

I'm surprised no one has started this month's thread, so I guess I will.

Today's mini-gripe brought to you by the words "pilling cats can be a real pain sometimes". Shiva will usually eat his pills in his pill pockets with no problems, but sometimes he sneakily eats around the pills. This morning I found he'd dropped his prednisone dose from ... some day or other.

Stupid IBS.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:16 AM

When I order a Subway sammich and ask for "everything", why can't they just put everything on it?
Old 12-01-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
When I order a Subway sammich and ask for "everything", why can't they just put everything on it?
I tried that and they swept the floor and added that. It actually made their sub better.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:45 AM

Hallmark's complete lack of Martin Luther King Jr. Day cards ... racist bastards ...

Last edited by watchwolf49; 12-01-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Laaaaast Rantmas, I gave you my snark, but the very next day, you gave it away.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:49 AM

I'm giving a piano recital tomorrow with my daughter and I'm goddamn terrified. She and I take piano lessons together because it's fun and we both want to learn. Stupid me, I figured, "Well, if I expect her to perform in a recital, surely it would be hypocritical of me not to do so myself!" Why the fuck did I ever care about being a hypocrite? As a parent, isn't that sometimes my job to do what I say but not what I do (yes, I'm being sarcastic)? Also, 42 seems a tad on the old side to be giving recitals.

I keep telling myself that I've debated with subject matter experts in my area in front of hundreds of people. Surely I can play a 4-minute piano piece without fucking up too badly? Isn't there a way out? Violent, explosive vomiting? Anyone?

Oh, well. Just 27 hours from now it'll all be over for good or for ill and I can look forward to having some friends and their kids over for dinner and drinking a shit load of good wine.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Could you have someone record it and post it so we can see, overlyverbose? (I mean the recital, not the explosive vomiting.)

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgyn View Post

Today's mini-gripe brought to you by the words "pilling cats can be a real pain sometimes". Shiva will usually eat his pills in his pill pockets with no problems, but sometimes he sneakily eats around the pills. This morning I found he'd dropped his prednisone dose from ... some day or other.

Stupid IBS.
I have never developed a successful technique for pilling a cat with the actual pill. My Max takes three meds every day. I grind up the pills in a mortar and pestle and mix them with his smelly, disgusting Fancy Feast. This has been working for several years. (If he reads this, I'm screwed.)

My rant: the landlord who owns the house next door to me has had a team of two guys over there for the past three days cutting down every bush, shrub, and sapling in sight. This is an old neighborhood (from the 1920s or so) and it's shady and lovely. When he fixed up the house to rent it, he cut down all the bushes around it, including a nice loquat tree that produced fruit every year, and a healthy rose bush taller than I am. He removed a hedge that ran along side the house and replaced it with bricks. That was about a year ago. The house used to look so inviting from the front, and after the massacre, it's a plain, white, naked box.

Three days ago, he went on another "trimming" frenzy and had his crew cut down every shrub along one of the side fences. Now in the summer (90-100 degrees most days) there will not be one speck of shade in that yard for the two dogs that currently live there. Okay, not my yard, not my problem... <tries to calm down>

But the worst thing is that at the very back of his yard and my yard (we share a chain link fence) there was a chaste tree that produced sweet-smelling flowers every spring--yesterday his crew cut that one down, too! He claimed it was dead, but it had leaves on it. It filled in the back corner of my yard, because, although it was growing on his side, at least half of the branches hung over on my side. I talked to him on the phone about leaving that one tree, but he said it was dead and a safety hazard and would likely fall over. Bullshit!! He's some kind of arboreal minimalist who can't bear to leave a growing plant alone. Hearing that chain saw all day for the last three days has made me nuts!

Oh, and did I mention that he lives in California, so he only sees the house about once a year!!

Old 12-01-2017, 12:37 PM

Two days ago at 4:30 in the morning I was rushing to keep our dog from waking my wife and I drove the pinky toe of my bare right foot full-force into solid, unmoving furniture. There was a smacking...or perhaps a cracking...sound. Three toes and about a quarter of the top of my foot are royally purple today, and pretty much everything I do reminds me pointedly of the incident.

Adding to the irony, my wife, who (as some of you may recall) has been recovering through a sequence of bed-wheelchair-walker-crutches since a murderer attacked her in August, keeps offering to get up and get things for me. Somehow I can't bring myself to complain too loudly about my toe.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
I'm giving a piano recital tomorrow with my daughter and I'm goddamn terrified. She and I take piano lessons together because it's fun and we both want to learn. Stupid me, I figured, "Well, if I expect her to perform in a recital, surely it would be hypocritical of me not to do so myself!" Why the fuck did I ever care about being a hypocrite? As a parent, isn't that sometimes my job to do what I say but not what I do (yes, I'm being sarcastic)? Also, 42 seems a tad on the old side to be giving recitals.

I keep telling myself that I've debated with subject matter experts in my area in front of hundreds of people. Surely I can play a 4-minute piano piece without fucking up too badly? Isn't there a way out? Violent, explosive vomiting? Anyone?

Oh, well. Just 27 hours from now it'll all be over for good or for ill and I can look forward to having some friends and their kids over for dinner and drinking a shit load of good wine.
My first thought was, "Damn, I wish I would get off my ass and do something like that." I'm sure there are plenty of people in your audience who will think the same thing.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:24 PM

It's the first official day of the nightmarish hell that is Christmas, which will extend into the new year. The music has been raising its ugly head since Halloween (or before), but now the cacophony has truly begun.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:54 PM

Frustrated with a young Millenial-aged co-worker. She's in her mid-20's and she recently moved out from her parents for the first time and in with her boyfriend and roommates. She wanted the full time position in our department. She begged to be given the chance to prove herself. When she was in danger of not passing her 90 probation, she pleaded and begged and promised to do better. She eventually passed, mostly because there is no one else interested in the position.

As soon as she secured the position, she started slacking off. I'm not sure it's deliberate, but it is nonetheless evident. She confided in me that working full time is "just so hard" and she doesn't have enough time for herself any more. She mentioned that she will probably ask to go back to part time after the holidays. Her boyfriend's cat died Sunday evening and she couldn't bear to come back to work. She had Monday off, I covered a shift for her on Tuesday, but she was well put out that our manager expected her to come in Wednesday afternoon to cover mine to make up for it. "It's just too soon" to be back at work after losing a pet. Boss is callous for expecting it.

Part of me wants her to just quit. Part me wants her to put on her big girl pants and succeed, because she is good at her job when she's actually working at it.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:20 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:

Stupid IBS.
We use a pill gun. Basically a barrel and plunger setup. It generally works well, but it depends a lot on technique. The trick is to get it past the point where the cat can bring it back up. It helps a lot if you've got a cat that's a lap sitter.

Now, if he goes to all the trouble of vomiting, that's a different problem.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

computer ate my rant.

New, mini-er version.

Khaki pants as work pants suck. I got something ugly and dark colored on the cuff of one during my first fifteen minutes at work today. If I'd been wearing jeans (like yesterday), no one would have known.

And we aren't allowed to wear jeans again until sometime next year, except for special occasions.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post

OKAY, listen. Here's how you get over on them.
1. Bow, and play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.
2. Tell them who wrote the music to Twinkle Twinkle.
3. Brag that you played Mozart at a piano recital. Because YOU DID!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Damnit, I just thought of a better title for this thread, and no way will I remember it by next year.

I should have called it, "Og Rest Ye Grumpy, Gentlefolks".

<pout>
Old 12-01-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Damnit, I just thought of a better title for this thread, and no way will I remember it by next year.

<pout>
Og Rant Ye Grumpy, Gentlefolks
Old 12-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Og Rant Ye Grumpy, Gentlefolks
Even better!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Even better!
Save May for Jerry Mendelbaum.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:

<pout>
How about putting it on your 'notes' on your cell phone and saving it for next December
Old 12-01-2017, 10:54 PM

Or see if a mod has the Christmas spirit yet.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:16 AM

Yeah, the month has just started. Ask a mod to change the thread name. Who knows where we'll be next year.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:34 AM
Charter Member

Meteorology is a crock. I'd predict weather more reliably if I psychically linked to a soothsayer consulting runes. Seems to me that that standing outside, scratching your head, and saying "might rain later" should not be a real job.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:41 AM

I think I've probably raved about Amazon's speedy delivery and great customer service before. Maybe not so much any more.

I ordered some computer stuff last week, all of it stocked and fulfilled directly by Amazon. First problem: shipping used to be amazingly fast -- and free -- but ever since they introduced extra-charge "Prime" bullshit it looks like they deliberately hold back shipments that would otherwise get to me "too soon". One time near Christmas I ordered a gift for someone on Friday night, and it was on my doorstep on Sunday afternoon. Sunday! This time the order status sat on "preparing for delivery" all week -- despite those items being eligible for fast ship -- then finally one full week later said "arriving today", but no shipment notice email, and of course it never arrived.

I contacted customer support, and they claimed it was a "system error" and they have escalated it and will try to expedite delivery. What? I order some ordinary stuff from the largest online retailer in the world, and manage to crash their system? Plus, the first response was to ask if I wanted to cancel or wanted them to try to get the items shipped. WTF? I bought them, didn't I? I was supposed to tell them which I wanted by clicking a link in the email. The link didn't fucking work!

I'm wondering if it's all going to hell, or if this was a one-off anomaly. I've ordered stuff from Amazon dozens of times and never had a problem like this. I definitely dislike the extortion whereby you will NOT get stuff in one or two days -- even if you live a stone's throw from the main warehouse -- because that privilege is reserved for Prime members!
Old 12-02-2017, 09:20 AM

One of my five cousins has died. My cousins are my closest relatives. Well, I will see her brothers at the funeral.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
One of my five cousins has died. My cousins are my closest relatives. Well, I will see her brothers at the funeral.
I'm so sorry.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:43 PM

I live in what may be the quietest apartment complex in the city. Most of my neighbors are either retirees or night-shift workers. It's great. So I wasn't expecting to get woken up at 3 a.m. to a loud BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

The beeping stopped then started up again. After determining it wasn't my phone, the smoke detector, or the cable box low battery alarm (I once spent close to an hour tracking that beeping down) I looked outside.

One of my neighbors was trying to back his company truck into a parking spot and every time he put it in reverse the backup warning beeper would come on. It took him about four more tries to get the truck parked, beeping all the way. I've never seen him with a company truck before so I'm hoping this is either a one time thing or he learns how to park it real soon.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Look, you should know that when I ring up your purchases, the next step is you have to pay for them So why is it that you don't have some form of payment ready? No, you have to go through everything in your purse or every pocket to find your wallet or credit card holder, and then do what I have dubbed "the credit card shuffle." You go through your twenty-five or more credit cards several times, hand me two or three wrong ones, tell me it's "impossible" that the card was declined, finally give me a working card, them take additional time putting everything away before you sign your slip, all this while I am the other people in the line wait silently.

Have the right card ready, sign, and get moving.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Look, you should know that when I ring up your purchases, the next step is you have to pay for them So why is it that you don't have some form of payment ready? No, you have to go through everything in your purse or every pocket to find your wallet or credit card holder, and then do what I have dubbed "the credit card shuffle." You go through your twenty-five or more credit cards several times, hand me two or three wrong ones, tell me it's "impossible" that the card was declined, finally give me a working card, them take additional time putting everything away before you sign your slip, all this while I am the other people in the line wait silently.

As a customer, I see this all the time in checkout lines, and it makes me nuts! It's as if they're surprised that you're going to expect payment from them. I always use my credit card now (rewards points, dontcha know), and I always have it out and ready, but back when I used to pay by check, I would have the entire check filled out except for the amount, AND have my I.D. out and ready, too.

Stores that have an express line should also have a slow line for these doofuses.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Who would get in such a line, I wonder...
Old 12-02-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Who would get in such a line, I wonder...
Yeah... I know...
Old 12-02-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Look, you should know that when I ring up your purchases, the next step is you have to pay for them So why is it that you don't have some form of payment ready?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
As a customer, I see this all the time in checkout lines, and it makes me nuts! It's as if they're surprised that you're going to expect payment from them.
Many of the new (here in America) credit machines where you insert (instead of swipe) your card allow the card to be inserted as soon as the clerk starts ringing up your purchases, and just left in there the whole time, until they total up the sale.

Many of the older checkers (who've experienced years of the 'now-where-is-my-wallet' dance) are starting to ask customers to insert their card as soon as they start ringing up the purchases. That way all the fumbling around is done by the time they are done ringing up the order. Much faster overall.

(Of course, it doesn't help with those customers who wait till everything is all rung up, and then suddenly realize that they now have to bag up their purchases -- what a surprise. But such fools are always around.)
Old 12-03-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose
Surely I can play a 4-minute piano piece without fucking up too badly? Isn't there a way out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat
...I drove the pinky toe of my bare right foot full-force into solid, unmoving furniture. There was a smacking...or perhaps a cracking...sound. Three toes and about a quarter of the top of my foot are royally purple
There you go, "accidentally" ram your naked foot into hardwood furniture, and you won't be able to operate the piano pedals and will be off the hook.

I just had a nasty flashback to many years ago when I shared a piano recital bill with a young Asian prodigy. The best thing I can describe about the experience was that I survived without major humiliation (and I also get to say that I once performed in a recital at Carnegie Hall - and I don't have to explain that it was in a small suite upstairs before maybe 20 people).
Old 12-03-2017, 05:03 PM

A nearby school is playing, quite loudly, various Christmas songs on their loudspeaker. Now, I really don't object to the volume, as they only play during school times, and it's not that distracting when I'm inside.
Still, it's strange that they're playing "Walking in a Winter Wonderland". Leaving aside that it's not really a Christmas song, except by acclamation, there's one other problem.

This is Australia. It's summertime here. They're making my brain hurt.

Last edited by galen ubal; 12-03-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
A nearby school is playing, quite loudly, various Christmas songs on their loudspeaker. Now, I really don't object to the volume, as they only play during school times, and it's not that distracting when I'm inside.
Still, it's strange that they're playing "Walking in a Winter Wonderland". Leaving aside that it's not really a Christmas song, except by acclamation, there's one other problem.

I posed a question last year tangential to your comments.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:52 PM

fuck qvc and santas best xmas tree company..... and yes some of its my fault....

Ok my aunt has needed an new xmas tree for about 4 years or more So around Oct I was watching qvc just because I do sometimes

Well they had a "special value of the day" and they had said tree on and its a artificial pre lit xmas tree that has something like 900 different light combations possible you can even change the light pattern on each bright

So I bit the bullet and bought it ....... And said tree arrived thanksgiving week ... My mistake was not trying it out when it came here because

1 the tree was untied 2 there were branches that were broken to that part didn't light at all # there weren't the end caps that the instructions said it needed called qvc they said called santas best for the warranty called the company and they wanted videos and or pictures of it all and they might be able to replace the parts after xmas So I ran out and found a replacement tree about 40 miles away at home depot

Called qvc back and got a refund but I happened to ask if I could just get a new one and they said no were out for the year ..... so I flipped on qvc about 1 am last night and guess what they were selling ? ........

Last edited by nightshadea; 12-03-2017 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Everything surrounding Christmas is romanticised nonsense based as far from reality as it possibly can be. The one thing that even matters is the gathering of families to have a large dinner and, possibly, exchange gifts. The rest of it, the snow, trees, decorations, music, the excessive red and green, is all artificial pseudo-Dickensian bullshit perpetuated by Victorian-era mythology. Any attempt to localise Christmas into something appropriate for your region, into a sunny, beach-oriented day out, will never work; it gets lost under the weight of a century of mythical iconography.

Basically, there is nothing we can do but grin and bear it, and make the most of it by enjoying a huge meal and the release of a new Star Wars movie, which is set to be a Christmas tradition equal to the persistent broadcast of The Sound Of Music or The Great Escape on TV.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
Basically, there is nothing we can do but grin and bear it, ...
There's another option: you can embrace it and enjoy it. For some reason, some people can't. To me, Christmas recreates childhood, and provides an opportunity to relive it again through new generations.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
There's another option: you can embrace it and enjoy it.
Well, that's just crazy talk.

No, I was referring to the juxtaposition of winter iconography during a Southern Hemisphere summer. It really grates.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:19 PM

FWIW, Amazon fixed their problem -- over the weekend, yet, and it's now shipped. True to their word, it seems to be on the fastest available schedule (as if it was Amazon Prime).

Maybe this was a random glitch, and certainly their customer service is still very good.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:

No, I was referring to the juxtaposition of winter iconography during a Southern Hemisphere summer. It really grates.
Probably much the same in tropical and many subtropical areas, too. And with global warming, a growing geography. Yeah, I get that. The image of Santa in shorts and a T-shirt, in a bullock cart pulled by a team of sweaty mules -- it just ain't the same!
Old 12-03-2017, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboat View Post
Adding to the irony, my wife, who (as some of you may recall) has been recovering through a sequence of bed-wheelchair-walker-crutches since a murderer attacked her in August, keeps offering to get up and get things for me.
While I have sympathy for your pain, I'm glad to hear your wife is still recovering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
Many of the older checkers (who've experienced years of the 'now-where-is-my-wallet' dance) are starting to ask customers to insert their card as soon as they start ringing up the purchases. That way all the fumbling around is done by the time they are done ringing up the order. Much faster overall.
The problem with doing that at my store is that sometimes the register decides to randomly end the transaction when the card is in the machine but before the cashier hits the "payment" button - meaning I can be mid-stream in ringing it up, not all the coupons are in the system and BAM! a receipt gets spit out because the machine thinks we're done.

I may be here frequently given how more and more people are leaving the seasonal cheer at home.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:

This. It doesn't help that I was born and raised in the States. It just doesn't feel like Christmas if it's hot and sunny, damnit!
Ah, well, I'll get over it. Or deal with it, anyway.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
fuck qvc and santas best xmas tree company..... and yes some of its my fault....

Ok my aunt has needed an new xmas tree for about 4 years or more So around Oct I was watching qvc just because I do sometimes

Well they had a "special value of the day" and they had said tree on and its a artificial pre lit xmas tree that has something like 900 different light combations possible you can even change the light pattern on each bright

So I bit the bullet and bought it ....... And said tree arrived thanksgiving week ... My mistake was not trying it out when it came here because

1 the tree was untied 2 there were branches that were broken to that part didn't light at all # there weren't the end caps that the instructions said it needed called qvc they said called santas best for the warranty called the company and they wanted videos and or pictures of it all and they might be able to replace the parts after xmas So I ran out and found a replacement tree about 40 miles away at home depot

Called qvc back and got a refund but I happened to ask if I could just get a new one and they said no were out for the year ..... so I flipped on qvc about 1 am last night and guess what they were selling ? ........
Not that I dont feel your pain, but would you REALLY want to give QVC another chance to screw up, possibly leaving you tree-less at a time when its too late to recover?
Old 12-04-2017, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Probably much the same in tropical and many subtropical areas, too. And with global warming, a growing geography. Yeah, I get that. The image of Santa in shorts and a T-shirt, in a bullock cart pulled by a team of sweaty mules -- it just ain't the same!
Howd ya like to stay up late like the islanders do
And wait for Santa to sail in with your presents in a canoe?

Christmas Island (1946)
Old 12-04-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

This morning on a busy road with one lane in each direction, as I was coming up to Dunkin' Donuts on the right, the guy in front of me just stopped.
He stopped to let the woman in oncoming traffic make a left turn into DD.

I gave him a quick tap of the horn, not a full-on honk. I imagine he is mystified as to why I tapped my horn at all.

Problem number 1: You elected to let someone cut in front of another person in line. You blocked me so she could cut in front. Not a big deal, but a breach of etiquette.

Problem number 2 (the real problem): You ceded your right of way. This is the big one. Right of way rules are the cornerstone of orderly traffic, and when you give up your right of way, the other person does not have certainty of what to do.
She could have waited, oblivious, until you finally gave up waiting, and then turned just as you started going again. She could have passed through only to get clobbered by another car sneaking up from behind you on the shoulder (as often happens when a car is stopped for a left turn). Don't give up the right of way.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat5 View Post
...<snip>... Don't give up the right of way.
The place where giving up the right of way drives [sic] me the nutsiest is with traffic circles/rotaries/roundabouts. We only have a few here, but two of them are part of my regular route. People don't understand them. Some doofus IN the circle will stop and wave me in when I'm sitting in one of the feeder lanes waiting to merge. I always wave furiously at him/her to go one, while shouting quietly to myself: "No, no, no! YOU have the right of way, you bonehead!"
Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Story told before:

once they'd gotten used enough to us to decide that the fast-talking, loud Spaniards didn't bite, my Costa Rican clients explained that many of them had at some point worked making Christmas decorations, and could we explain to them how big sheep are? And what is snow like?

Ordered an item from Amazon. Chose "do not deliver on Saturday". The courier tried to deliver on Saturday . Yeah buddy, I marked "do not deliver on Saturday" because, guess what, there's nobody in my office on Saturdays!

At least they did deliver it to the right place (the small office building up the hill) and not the evident place (the big factory at the foot of the hill with huge signs all around).

Last edited by Nava; 12-04-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena330 View Post
My first thought was, "Damn, I wish I would get off my ass and do something like that." I'm sure there are plenty of people in your audience who will think the same thing.
Thanks! It was not quite as horrible as I thought. I only messed up once, but I covered. It was obvious, but not too glaring.

I think my husband recorded it, so I'll see if I can sync my phone & google account to link the video. Thanks, everyone, for all the encouragement!

Rant-wise, I think my daughter broke her ankle. Again. She just got out of a cast for a broken arm on November 16th. When she broke her arm, she'd been out of a cast for 10 days for a broken finger. And before that, she'd broken her ankle and yet another finger. So if she's re-broken her ankle, this will be the 5th break this year.

After break #4, our orthopedist had her blood tested for vitamin deficiencies and diagnosed her with having my grace.

I realize that the normal reaction to your child having a broken bone would be sympathy and tenderness. And I do feel that, but at the same time, when she told me last night, I was hard-pressed not to mutter, "Oh, for fuck's sake!" I may or may not have rolled my eyes just a little bit while carrying her inside to ice said ankle.

Given that the orthopedist can't fit her in until late afternoon anyway, I slapped her boot on from the last break and sent her to school with the intention of taking her to the after-hours ortho clinic. I may ask for a punch card.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

And to the OP... pilling the cat is not something I really planned on getting good at.

But our orange tabby is sick and needs multiple pills, so my wife and I are developing this talent. Twice a day I do the "happy dance" while saying "We get to pill the cat! We get to pill the cat!" in a very upbeat "nyah nyah" manner. And he usually takes it like a champ.

I think that being an orange tabby has a lot to do with it--tabbies are awesome cats, some of the most mellow.

This is still an unpleasant process because I don't want him to die. He's around 16, and his best friend Roxy passed away at 16 two months ago. It's too soon to have another kitty funeral. My wife would be very very sad.

Last edited by minor7flat5; 12-04-2017 at 11:26 AM.