Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minor7flat
Problem number 2 (the real problem): You ceded your right of way. This is the big one. Right of way rules are the cornerstone of orderly traffic, and when you give up your right of way, the other person does not have certainty of what to do.
Related: a recent episode on an urban highway with two lanes of traffic in either direction.

I was traveling in the right lane during a time of day when traffic was busy but still moving pretty well. Wile E. Coyote, Sooper-Genius in the left lane just ahead of me slowed to allow someone to make a left turn in front of him from one of the businesses on the other side of the highway, thus crossing three lanes of traffic and emerging dead ahead in my lane, from where I just avoided ramming him by emergency braking. No way I could see him until he suddenly appeared in front of me.

A pox on the Good Samarashitheads that enable this behavior.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Here's a hearty "up your ass" to that Republican from Texas who got the feds to pay his $84,000 sexual harassment settlement. That bastard should have paid that, not the US taxpayer. Should have made that bastard write the check with his wife and parents sitting by his side.
So, to Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Tex.) Up your ass you shithead.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/u...-congress.html
Old 12-04-2017, 04:12 PM

I reverse my bitching about Amazon and once again give them kudos for customer service. After I complained about my shipment screwup on Friday, they fixed whatever problem it was over the weekend and promised priority shipment. It was either shipped or at least handed over to the postal system as a priority package Sunday night, and I received it this afternoon, which I record for posterity is Monday. So it arrived same business day as it was shipped, no charge, no Amazon Prime. I might sign up for Prime as I've heard that it's a good deal, though I'm not sure I'd use all those extras like the streaming services.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
Here's a hearty "up your ass" to that Republican from Texas who got the feds to pay his $84,000 sexual harassment settlement. That bastard should have paid that, not the US taxpayer. Should have made that bastard write the check with his wife and parents sitting by his side.
So, to Rep. Blake Farenthold (R-Tex.) Up your ass you shithead.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/01/u...-congress.html
I did just read that he's going to pay it back, but it was on my tablet and now I can't find the link.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:12 PM

OMG, I'm cry-laughing now. Who the fuck drew what looks like a cock and balls on our driveway in sidewalk chalk? Goddammit.

It must've been either my daughter or the neighborhood kids two doors down. My daughter doesn't generally think that way and the kids two doors down are middle school boys. That said, I wouldn't put anything past her.

There is a giant dong on my driveway. A GIANT DONG.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup View Post
I might sign up for Prime as I've heard that it's a good deal, though I'm not sure I'd use all those extras like the streaming services.
On the flip side, I pretty much never need anything shipped in a hurry, and the main reason I signed up for Prime was in fact the streaming services (and the books).

Now for my rant, which is exactly a rant but a something - at work I have occassionally, after either I or a customer drop something, make a quip about "food so fresh it's still moving". Well, today a customer handed me a bag and it was actually moving!

Fresh lobster. Live fresh lobsters. I guess they finally got the water tank in the fish department fixed...
Old 12-05-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
I might sign up for Prime as I've heard that it's a good deal, though I'm not sure I'd use all those extras like the streaming services.
I realize this information is mostly relevant to those of us who know our closest airport better than our sofa, but one thing I like about Amazon Prime's streaming is that - it works abroad! The stuff I have available varies by country, but I'm fine with that. Many of the things not available abroad are from Spanish public TV; I can get it from their own website, it's just a little less convenient.

One curious inconvenient is that if I've downloaded something, there's the risk that the first time my tablet connects to internet abroad it will decide that some of the downloaded stuff isn't available. But hey, you can download stuff to the tablet: it's nice for those intercontinental flights.

Last edited by Nava; 12-05-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

A mini rant about our shrinking newspapers, but not for the reasons you might expect. Our daily paper is now so insubstantial that it literally blew away in a gust of wind. It was kind of breezy around here yesterday, and when I went out to get the paper it was nowhere to be found. Taking a closer look a little later, I found it under a pile of leaves against the curb across the street.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

This is actually something of an anti-rant. I've been job-hunting, and one of the things that's been annoying me have been the multiple contacts from the same companies for positions with a particular employer. Said employer has no interest in me, as I have no experience documenting medical devices or in a GMP environment. Today I asked one of them to add that information to my files in their system, and the recruiter called back to let me know he was doing that. He also asked me my hourly rates.

Someone listened. Amazing.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:32 PM

I am just FULL of rants lately. Here is today's rant du jour.

One of my son's friends found out yesterday that there is no Santa Claus. One of the older boys at his bus stop let the cat out of the bag. His mom posted on Facebook, just absolutely pissed about how devastated her son was when he came home.

And I get that. I honestly do. It's a dick move to take that away from a kid, even if you're another kid. But the kid is also 12. He's almost a teenager and he was bound to find out sometime. Regardless, the mom is pissed and lashing out on facebook and not getting the comments she wanted/expected.

One person even posted that they never allowed their kids to believe in Santa because, you know, Jesus. Anyway, I normally have a love/hate relationship with facebook trainwrecks, but this one is too ugly even for me. Who knew Santa was so polarizing.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlyverbose View Post
One person even posted that they never allowed their kids to believe in Santa because, you know, Jesus.
Whoa. Wait till they discover he's no more real than Santa!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:26 PM

Anti-rant follow up from last month's insane electric bill; they agreed it was an error, and 'fixed' it, updating the account today. The account is now 14 in credit. They say it must have been unused credit from when it was prepaid. There was 5 and a few stray pennies on there; I'm on a tight budget, I know how much credit I had.

So yeah, I don't think I spent -14 in a month any more than I spent 416. I told them I was sure I should owe 'em about 20-30, but they said if that's what the system says, they're OK with it, and I'm not going to argue too much about getting a month's free power!
Old 12-05-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
When I order a Subway sammich and ask for "everything", why can't they just put everything on it?
I know you would never, but there are idiot customers out there who will tell you they want everything and in the next breath excoriate you because obviously everything doesn't include banana peppers or pickles or tomatoes. *bonus points for "I'm allergic to <food>!"* Have sympathy for the poor benighted sandwich worker; they just want one shift where they don't get yelled at because they couldn't read the customer's mind.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am just FULL of rants lately. Here is today's rant du jour.

One of my son's friends found out yesterday that there is no Santa Claus. One of the older boys at his bus stop let the cat out of the bag. His mom posted on Facebook, just absolutely pissed about how devastated her son was when he came home.

And I get that. I honestly do. It's a dick move to take that away from a kid, even if you're another kid. But the kid is also 12. He's almost a teenager and he was bound to find out sometime. Regardless, the mom is pissed and lashing out on facebook and not getting the comments she wanted/expected.
Yeesh. TWELVE? I'd think they'd want to get that reveal out of the way a LOT earlier, like before the kid has learned to extrapolate from one case to another (like whether the 'rents have been fibbing about Baby Jesus, too).

Please dive into the trainwreck one more time for us, overly. Find out if this seventh-grader has found out about the Easter Bunny yet.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Yeesh. TWELVE? I'd think they'd want to get that reveal out of the way a LOT earlier, like before the kid has learned to extrapolate from one case to another (like whether the 'rents have been fibbing about Baby Jesus, too).

Please dive into the trainwreck one more time for us, overly. Find out if this seventh-grader has found out about the Easter Bunny yet.
A 12-year old still believed in Santa Claus??
Old 12-05-2017, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I just wanted to pop in here and say that a game in which the host constantly changes the rules for every round... such a game just doesn't work and is absolutely no fun.

That's all.

Last edited by JohnT; 12-05-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Dealer's Choice poker?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Dealer's Choice poker?
Naw, that can be fun as poker itself has rules. But there's a current game thread where the person running it changes the rules as the game progresses.

I don't really want to go further... you can find it if you wish... but the latest rule change today, about ignoring the votes of those who haven't played in the last few rounds, deserved a mini rant.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingButStrong View Post
Dealer's Choice poker?
Close. Dragon Poker.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projammer View Post
Close. Dragon Poker.
Just don't take the Markie.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:22 AM

I've been toying with the idea of getting a Calvinball team together at my college.

Now, there's a game where changing the rules every thirty seconds or so is the whole point.
A game thread where the "dungeonmaster" keeps changing the rules? Crap...
Old 12-06-2017, 06:17 AM

Yes, O.K., you got me -- I am a liar. But there are two types of liars -- ones who goes about actively spouting falsehoods, and ones who don't want to truthfully answer your constant, invasive, inquisitions. I'm the second type. Deal with it any way you have to.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 AM

Nothing like being told "you're at that age now" and "it all catches up with you at your age" during a medical appointment.

No, I'm still 30 years old! OK, 40 years old! WTF are you talking about?!?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

It doesn't get any better. The dermatologist told me I have great skin "for a woman of your age." Gee, now I feel so great about these wrinkles, doc. (On the other hand I am not 40.)
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThelmaLou View Post
A 12-year old still believed in Santa Claus??
Yeah, that was on the tip of my tongue (or fingers). I had a quick conversation with my kid a few weeks ago just to make sure I knew what he believed and was incredibly relieved when he said, "No - you guys act way too suspiciously around Christmas. Plus, he couldn't possibly get presents all over the world like that."

And for the curious, there was LOTS of Jesus talk thereafter - and then things veered into whether it was ever ok for "God's children" to give or receive gifts at Christmas or believe in Santa when the lord clearly stipulated that Jesus lived in poverty, so we should all live in poverty and be humble as well. And then...Trump. Yes, the post went into how Republicans were all going to save us and the news media was unfairly painting Trump and he was at least going to fight the War on Christmas. So there you have it. From Santa to Jesus to Trump. I give up.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:59 PM

Is he a special needs kid by any chance? I can't imagine a kid not learning about Santa Claus sooner than that, even if it's from friends. It all sounds very strange. If true, the mother sure did her kid a disservice. His peers will be ruthless.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I just wanted to pop in here and say that a game in which the host constantly changes the rules for every round... such a game just doesn't work and is absolutely no fun.

That's all.
Ever heard of TEGWAR?
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
One person even posted that they never allowed their kids to believe in Santa because, you know, Jesus.
Many years ago, some of my cousins got heavily into the idea that "Santa judges, but Jesus forgives!" One cousin's child (he was about four or five at the time) even scolded an old lady in Target for asking him what he thought Santa would bring him for Christmas. The child's mother thought this was adorable, and also a sign of The Lord working through her son.

Fast forward a few years...one cousin has established a small business in a large metropolitan area -- completely staffed by family members -- and now that side of the family is suddenly willing to talk about "the holidays" instead of just "CHRISTmas". Heck, they even participated in Halloween this year. Can't imagine what got into them.

Last edited by Jeep's Phoenix; 12-06-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiz View Post
Nothing like being told "you're at that age now" and "it all catches up with you at your age" during a medical appointment.

No, I'm still 30 years old! OK, 40 years old! WTF are you talking about?!?
Heh, yeah I remember going to the doctor at some point around age 45 for my annual checkup, complaining about some aches and pains, and my doctor just laughed and said "Yeah, getting old sucks."
Old 12-06-2017, 05:21 PM

Here is my rant of the day: a pox on people who have smartphones and refuse to learn even the SIMPLEST things to do on them.

I realize a smartphone is a zillion times more complicated and powerful than the earliest computers and has a zillion time the memory that my first PC did. And I realize that *I* will never get around to learning all it can do. Fine. I don't listen to music or podcasts on mine, and I'm not on Facebook, so I'm probably a pretty elementary user compared to the average 16-year old.

But I'm talking about people who after years of owning a smart phone don't know have never bothered to find out how to silence the ringer. Who don't get emails on their phones. Who don't know how to text or how to take a picture and send it. Who don't use the GPS feature. Who don't know how to add a contact.

Aren't they the least little bit curious about all those icons and what they do/mean? Apparently not.

And when they tell you they don't know how to do something or never learned, they are quite amused at themselves and even humble-brag about their IGNORANCE. "Oh, I still don't know how to use this phone! It's way over my head!"

I'm not even going to talk about the ones who own mobile phones but NEVER TURN THEM ON, because they're only "for emergencies." Um... what if the emergency is someone trying to call YOU, huh? What about that kind of emergency? These people seem to thing that they're being billed for time when the phone is just on without a call or text being in progress.

Or the ones who say, "I turned my phone off, because I didn't want to be bothered with any calls." Well, you can turn your ringer OFF and leave the phone ON and just glance at it later to see if you missed any important calls or texts. Of course, I have a 93-year old mother in assisted living, and a good friend who is in poor health, so I want to know if I got calls from either of them. I often leave my ringer off all day, but I do glance at the phone every now and then. Maybe there are people who really want to be completely unreachable and nobody cares. Whatever.

Thank you and best of luck to you and yours.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
Heh, yeah I remember going to the doctor at some point around age 45 for my annual checkup, complaining about some aches and pains, and my doctor just laughed and said "Yeah, getting old sucks."
It's truly disturbing when you start going to doctors, lawyers, and other professionals who are younger than you. The first time I worked directly for someone who was younger (only by a couple of years) it really threw me. (She wasn't all that bright). My breast cancer surgeon was easily young enough to be my daughter with room to spare (but she was The Bomb-- lovely and oh-so-competent, God bless her.)

Oh yeah, and getting old does indeed suck.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's truly disturbing when you start going to doctors, lawyers, and other professionals who are younger than you. The first time I worked directly for someone who was younger (only by a couple of years) it really threw me. (She wasn't all that bright). My breast cancer surgeon was easily young enough to be my daughter with room to spare (but she was The Bomb-- lovely and oh-so-competent, God bless her.)

A friend of mine just went to an ENT and I asked how he liked the doctor as I might need an ENT. He said "oh he was good but he looked like Doogie Howser." Yeah, they all do now.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayT View Post
A friend of mine just went to an ENT and I asked how he liked the doctor as I might need an ENT. He said "oh he was good but he looked like Doogie Howser." Yeah, they all do now.
I know. I walk into some and I think, "Hell, I have shoes older than this person." OTOH, if I get one my age, I wonder if I've gotten a senile geezer.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:09 PM

I just got my laptop back from Dell warranty service. It literally locks up after booting to the desktop for one minute.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 PM

The lil'wrekker is home from college til Jan.9th. Yay! Really I love being around her. I am an early Christmas shopper, so basically I am done. Except she wants to SHOP, bigtime!! So I have to face the crowds and lines and overworked clerks, anyway, because, I have the credit cards and the funds! And, "omgMomyoudontgetitmyclothesarealltrashandoutofstyle" So shopping we go, the mission tomarrow, new boots! I have her looking online right now, but I hold out little hope. I will be in shoe stores in the morning, I am sure.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I would be glad to have a good reliable doctor who was 20 or 30 years younger than me. My current PCP is only 4 years younger, and I dread when he retires. I don't want to go through finding a new doctor again. I'm 68 and I'm tired of breaking in new people.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Here is my rant of the day: a pox on people who have smartphones and refuse to learn even the SIMPLEST things to do on them.

I realize a smartphone is a zillion times more complicated and powerful than the earliest computers and has a zillion time the memory that my first PC did. And I realize that *I* will never get around to learning all it can do. Fine. I don't listen to music or podcasts on mine, and I'm not on Facebook, so I'm probably a pretty elementary user compared to the average 16-year old.
I'm a bit torn here, though basically I agree with you -- I think the moral is: a lot of people are stupid, old OR young. But to me, the essence of "phone" is that it's a contraction of "telephone". What I have always required in my cellphones is the basic feature of having a hole to talk into, and another hole that you can hold up to your ear to hear the answer. In short, two holes, wirelesslessly and somehow magically connected to the whole wide world.

But in the modern era, when my old phone (featuring those useful two holes) became obsolete, my cellphone service provider sent me a smartphone. I never did get to the point that I felt it worthwhile to give up my grandfathered cheap voice-only plan, but on my home wireless I do find it very useful to have it enabled for my main email account and have it beep at me when an email arrives, and let me see what it's about, because I'm not always at my computer but the phone is usually somewhere around. And I do use text messaging, which doesn't depend on a data plan.
Quote:

Totally on side with you here too, ThelmaLou. We spend much of our lives growing up with the idea that almost everyone -- and certainly people in positions of authority -- are older than we are. And suddenly there comes a time -- and it really does happen very suddenly -- where almost everyone is older than we are. I have no idea when it happened. It just did. For the most part the only people older than me now are politicians, many of them senile.

Last edited by wolfpup; 12-06-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, but so far, for me, it still beats the only known alternative.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

Today, a little old lady angrily decreed the cash register made a mistake in addition.

I found a spare calculator and re-added everything. With the same result.

Little old lady: "I DON'T CARE! THEY'RE BOTH WRONG! NOW I HAVE TO GO TO CUSTOMER SERVICE AND IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!"

Yes, please DO go to someone else. I am unable to change the nature of mathematics for you, little old lady.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:11 AM

I discovered that a colleague of mine from work is a flat-earth believer. That the entire planet sits on a shelf of ice (known as Antarctica). The ice is 200 feet tall at the edges, to keep everything from falling into space. So Antarctica is basically a dinner plate.

Speaking of space, not only have we never been to the moon, we've never been to space. Because it's a vacuum, there's no way to adjust your course of travel (never mind Newton's Third Law).

All of the Space Shuttle explosions were staged. Christa McAuliffe is actually alive.

I have a friend who is a professor of astronomy at a college in Georgia (an offshoot of Georgia Tech). He was dumbfounded by the level of ignorance and misunderstanding displayed by my coworker.

My professor friend suggested that, as a demonstration of the "equal and opposite reaction," Russell (the coworker) go stand on a sheet of ice and attempt to throw a bowling ball without slipping or sliding. No word on whether he's tried it. I'm guessing not.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
It doesn't get any better. The dermatologist told me I have great skin "for a woman of your age." Gee, now I feel so great about these wrinkles, doc. (On the other hand I am not 40.)
Yes, you are, with several years' experience.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
And suddenly there comes a time -- and it really does happen very suddenly -- where almost everyone is older than we are.
Ermmm.... that should be read as "And suddenly there comes a time -- and it really does happen very suddenly -- where almost everyone is younger than we are."

It should also be taken as evidence that as we get older, our brains get softer, and as dementia slowly creeps in, sometimes backwards things we get. I imagine that eventually the brain completely turns to a sort of inert jelly, and one sits in a corner with an imbecilic grin and a stream of drool running down one's chin, and one becomes a Republican.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Ever heard of TEGWAR?
Or "Chardee MacDennis?"

Last edited by Superdude; 12-07-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
I remember laughing whenever my mother said something similar. She'd always warn that I'd never truly understand until I was her age.

I'm sorry I laughed, Ma. And now you're somewhere probably laughing your head off at me right now.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I'm a bit torn here, though basically I agree with you -- I think the moral is: a lot of people are stupid, old OR young.
I believe this is the root cause.
Quote:
But to me, the essence of "phone" is that it's a contraction of "telephone". What I have always required in my cellphones is the basic feature of having a hole to talk into, and another hole that you can hold up to your ear to hear the answer. In short, two holes, wirelesslessly and somehow magically connected to the whole wide world.
True, the principal function of a smartphone is still to serve as a telephone. Whether or not one cares to avail oneself of the myriad and vast marvels of a smartphone, one should at least learn how to turn off the damn ringer! I asked a friend of mine (older than me) why she didn't just turn off the ringer when she goes into a meeting, and she said, "Mine won't do that." I said, "Honey, they ALL do that."

Okay, one more gentle rant. It's about this board. I wish people wouldn't post links, especially to YouTube, without giving just a brief clue as to what their point is. I can't easily watch YouTube on my kindle, which is where I do most of my SDMB posting. And even if I could, I'm not going to watch a 3-minute video with sound to get some point you could have made with a footnote to your post. I'm guessing savvy readers will follow the link, see what it is and immediately get the point without having to watch it. I'm not as up on pop culture as many are, and that's my bad.

Likewise posting links to articles with no excerpt from the article to give the slightest idea what it's about and why you're posting it. Sometimes the headline is self-explanatory, but not always. Do a little extra work on your end to save the reader some work on his/her end, okay? P.S. Rick Kitchen gets very high marks in this area. He posts great article links, but always with a sentence telling you what it's about. Thank you, RK! I usually follow your links because I trust you.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 AM

As for professionals being younger than me? Doesn't bother me. I'm so used to it that seeing somebody my age or older is a shock, LOL.

I think what contributes to the age/looks/brain discrepancy is that, compared to previous generations, we're in overall better health.

I see photos of my parents back when I was a kid and cannot believe how old they look.

My mother never "looked her age" thanks to genetics. I inherited that Nevertheless, I see this "old" when I look at a photo of her when she was my age now. I can't describe it other than to say that I don't seem to possess the same unless I'm blind to it?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I am an old lady that does not believe in taking any drugs, prescribed or otherwise. When the last doctor I saw took my vitals and asked me what meds I was taking, I said "None." He said "A person our age cannot have these readings without taking medications. Okay......

When I told a co-worker I usually take the bus to the terminal in the next town and then walk back to work, her mouth fell open. "Every day?" Yes.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Yep. Last check up (with a new doc) he said it was unusual for a person to reach my current age without daily medications. Also said "good job, stay healthy".
Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Going Homer one better: why in the name of Chthulu did I read the letters to the editor in the local paper today?

It's a full-on moronic display from Ohio Right-to-Life, the Muslim Finger-Wagger (who must write daily, considering how much of his crap gets published), the guy who thinks we mustn't discuss injustice anywhere in the world without slamming the U.S. too, and assorted other dreck.

If the trend continues, we're going to outdo the letters section of the Cleveland Plain Dealer for across-the-political-spectrum dingbattery, and no one deserves that.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:19 PM

Well, back from the Big Rock. Boots have been purchased. Thank you jesus, that is over. Lil'wrekker is supremely happy! She's trying get the girlfriends together for a night out. Gotta show off, ya know!
My big (little) rant is: why can't you buy solid color Christmas wrapping paper? The only color I found was red, and it's kind of a weird red. I want shiny jewel tones. No glitter or print. Hmmm??