Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 PM

I'll see your gutting all agencies that offer any kind of protections to the American people, and I raise you actively assisting Saudi Arabia in their Yemeni genocide by selling them illegal cluster-bombs to carpet bomb the place, and endorsing their blockade which is starving millions of people, on purpose.

Also, we're seriously considering war with Iran and North Korea, neither of which have attacked us, and either of which could involve nuclear fallout.

We've so seriously lost our moral compass that while the *last pre-emptive war resulting in a million civilian deaths, Iraq, resulted in the largest protest in history, the next one is seriously discussed in the media in terms of "how can we limit the number of Koreans who we kill?" and the activist movements have made hardly a peep about it.

When the famine and cholera deaths in Yemen spike from thousands into hundreds of thousands and then into millions, as seems pretty inevitable, we lose the right to ever use the term "human rights record" when criticizing another country.

Last edited by AI Proofreader; 12-02-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:22 PM

This critter needs to be properly folded into this pitting:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDitka View Post
I voted for Trump hoping to get a conservative Supreme Court Justice, a repeal of ObamaCare, a tax cut, less government regulation, an undoing / shrinking if Utah's oversized national monuments, and fewer illegal immigrants. I'm getting most of that, or at least progress on pretty much all of those points.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:38 PM
Chartist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
I'd be curious to know how many outraged people on this message board made calls to the senators who were fence riders who might vote against this piece of shit tax bill. Anyone? My wife and I called eight senators and left messages asking them to vote 'no' and giving reasons why. Anybody else? OP? If you don't make your voices heard, then just bend over and enjoy the ass-fucking.
I have a problem with hearing on the phone, so I send them free faxes with https://faxzero.com/ ; if you click on the links for congressperson, senator or governor it takes you to a page where you can choose the person and the fax will go to them. This also allows me to organize what I want to say. Some staffer has to go through and respond to these, I think; I usually get an answer eventually.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
I think he's even worse than most Trump voters, because he's willing to (knowingly, for the most part) trade away incredible damage to our international standing, a greatly increased chance of catastrophic war and death (but not for himself, of course), much greater risk of harm to minorities (again, not himself, of course) and aid to white supremacists, further damage to our culture and society in terms of trying to make progress against sexual assault and mistreatment of women, and much more awful stuff, in order to gain these relatively short-term conservative priorities. And that's just if I assume he's being mostly honest, as opposed to mostly trolling (and I strongly suspect it's a mix).
Old 12-02-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
But why? The court I can understand, but the rest is just watching stuff burn. Holding those positions makes no sense.
Old 12-02-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman Doors, USAF View Post
But why? The court I can understand, but the rest is just watching stuff burn. Holding those positions makes no sense.
Apparently, to him they do. He is one of those “Yaay III%, Lavoy Finicum was murdered, Free the Bundies” quality fuckwits. He seems somewhat rational and civil in many of his postings, but he is nothing more than a short-sighted SFB who cannot see further than the end of his next paycheck. And, oh, government bad! He needs to share a straitjacket with the Shitgibbon.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKellyMap View Post
Off-topic...holy mackerel, watchwolf and wolfpup are different Dopers!
Shocking I know ... even I get those two confused they think so much alike ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Post #32 is like some kind of bad acid trip.
I take it you never dropped good acid ... [giggle] ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
(post shortened)

You have got to be a Democrat. Oh well, it's nice that you took the time to call all of those Senators, but you are only entitled to two. Same as everyone else. Did you remember to include the Senators from your own state? They are the only ones who are obligated to listen to you. The rest have their own constituents to worry about.
This was my first reaction, but then I checked the names Chefguy posted ... yeah, someone did their homework and those were well placed phone calls ... I'm definitely interested in who Chefguy will be calling now that the bill is in conference committee ...

I doubt I'll call ... it would piss me off if MY congressman was listening to out-of-staters tell him how to vote ...

Are we forgetting the poor in all this ... renters don't pay mortgage interest so they won't use the Schedule A, they use the standard deduction which doubles in this new tax plan ... exemptions would be eliminated so this only helps smaller families ... impoverished one person households will make out very well under this plan ...

All moot anyway ... Republicans control the government so nothing will get done ... grab a soda, sit back and enjoy the show ... think of it as a SNL skit ...
Old 12-03-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
Do Senators from states other than your own even consider your opinion? Serious question.
According to this, they do not.

http://www.indivisible.org/guide/you...r-of-congress/
Old 12-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwolf49 View Post
S

I doubt I'll call ... it would piss me off if MY congressman was listening to out-of-staters tell him how to vote ...
Do facts ever penetrate the demented fog you call a brain? Do you not understand that how your personal senator votes affects everyone in the country and not just your neighbors? Yes, he protects state interests, but is part of a larger body that makes laws that affect all of us, and he gladly solicits and takes money from out-of-staters, so he damn well better listen to them.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Do facts ever penetrate the demented fog you call a brain? Do you not understand that how your personal senator votes affects everyone in the country and not just your neighbors? Yes, he protects state interests, but is part of a larger body that makes laws that affect all of us, and he gladly solicits and takes money from out-of-staters, so he damn well better listen to them.
Or in the words of Tip O'Neill, "All politics is local."
Old 12-03-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Merkley and Wyden are just the twin evil spokesmen of the Salem/Sacramento axis of EVIL ...

Elaborate.

Quote:
...that's just sad, so medieval, so backwards ... a government that exists solely by permission of the English Parliament ...

Oh nos! Poor Canada emasculated by that oh-so-oppressive figurehead monarchy! If only they could follow the Pure Gold of Democratic Fundament over the border just south.

Quote:
kneel to your rightful overlords, suckers, we stand for our National Anthem because a free people kneels to nothin' ...

Except possibly those who actually do kneel out of recognizing injustices to minorities, which tells me this isn't your idea of a "free people". And why capitalize national anthem?

Quote:
But Canadians are brave, that's for sure ... just look at how scarred up all your maple trees are ... takes balls to knife attack a plant, must be hell chasing them down, eh? ...have a sap-slurping good time for me will ya ...

Yikes! Hopefully you'll soon recover from your vapours over a centuries-old practice that has not only sustained families and communities, but will continue to so do.

Quote:
North Dakota winters are catastrophically mild for Canada ... I guess I'd think that too if I had to politely wait two weeks at every 4-way stop sign panicking that someone within a hundred miles has a gun ...

So you're trying to equate a Canadian winter (which is apparently too harsh for your soft ass) to Canadians' fear of firearms? Yeah kinda wimpy of them to not droolingly embrace guns in their culture as much US citizens seem to do, for some reason, in theirs.

And the Stanley Cup shit - WTF does ANY of this have to do w- oh...wait a sec...I take it wolfpup is Canadian, so you had to come up with some kind of irrelevant weaksauce-as-fuck refutation, sorta like grasping at straws kinda thing.

Quote:
better an inept Federal Government than one that usurps our liberties.

Perish the thought of the current US gov't qualifying for both of those attributes.

Quote:
You young puppies don't remember starvation in West Virginia and Kentucky ... colored folk getting lynch in Alabama and Georgia ... you've never heard of Jeffrey Miller, Allison Krause, William Schroeder, or Sandra Scheuer ... better an inept Federal Government than one that usurps our liberties ... you young-uns just don't know how good you have it today, bunch of entitled snowflakes ... you're poor because you're stupid is all ... the stupid have always been poor in this country ... your scared gods of liberalism are ripping you off blind ... the rich have been kicking the middle class in thew nuts for over 400 years and the best the middle class can come up with is "Thank you, sir, may I please have another" generation after generation ... just sad ...

And you can be the first ones on your block
To have your boy come home in a box.

We ran out of boxes and had to start using bags ... was that really better than today? ...

And before that we had the JP Morgan robber barons, the economic panics of 1873 and 1893, along with other shit, but you're too young a buck to remember that.
And yeah thank jeebus we no longer have open square lynchings - the progress we've made! Wow!

I was starting to use ellipses to indicate truncated quotes, like I normally do, but here felt like taking a shower for doing so, and decided otherwise.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Foxtrot View Post
Left-wing ideals have become such a laughingstock that to be called a "social justice warrior" is an insult.
Only among assholes, though.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:03 AM

Careful OP, at this rate if there's another economic implosion you might end up as a full blown comrade. If that happens you might regret believing corporate media lies about Occupy, castigating the left as "SJWs," or how you heaped so much blame on the common people who spend most of their energy struggling to survive while being bombarded by plutocrat propaganda 24/7, but no biggie, lots of people go through a lib phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Proofreader View Post
I raise you actively assisting Saudi Arabia in their Yemeni genocide by selling them illegal cluster-bombs to carpet bomb the place, and endorsing their blockade which is starving millions of people, on purpose.
You're right to be outraged by America's role in Yemen, but Trump is continuing Obama's policy. Citations Needed had a good episode about it.

Last edited by marshmallow; 12-04-2017 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
You're right to be outraged by America's role in Yemen, but Trump is continuing Obama's policy. Citations Needed had a good episode about it.
Thanks for the link, hadn't heard of Citations Needed before but the name sounds right up my alley, I'll give that a listen at work tomorrow.

Most of the Yemeni coverage I've seen so far has been from Redacted Tonight and Democracy Now, with a smattering on The Young Turks and people who affiliate with them.

I'm well aware the Saudi support has been ongoing throughout the Obama and Trump administrations (and during the Bush years, for that matter) - which is why I didn't mention Trump or a timeframe. The Yemeni crisis has been building since 2015 when Saudi began its military intervention, it's really coming to a head now and if something isn't done soon the thousands of deaths are going to swell into hundreds of thousands and then millions.

I'm utterly appalled that they are able to intentionally starve a country and you're far more likely to see media coverage about Saudi Arabia lifting the ban on women driving than you are about them trying to ethnically cleanse their neighbors.

Last edited by AI Proofreader; 12-04-2017 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Shitgibbon.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
... think of it as a SNL skit ...
You mean because it:

- Gets increasingly painful to watch as time goes by?

- Shows Donald Trump to be a bullying buffoon?

- Makes one nostalgic for a time when Jimmy Carter was President?

- Features a guy who sexually assaulted women?
Old 12-04-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
What is funny about the Orange-Faced Shitgibbon? The bastard is not a laughing matter. It is a national tradegy, that not even FEMA can handle.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Hahaha. When did poster doorhinge become the police of which Senators other Americans are allowed to call?
Hahahaha. Where did I suggest/say that posters could not call U.S. Senators? What I am saying is that U.S. Senators are responsible to their own constituents. If you wish to annoy 100 U.S. Senators with your opinions, I say, "Go for it". Everyone needs a hobby. Unfortunately for you, only your two U.S. Senators are obligated to listen to you. The other 98 have enough constituents of their own. Better luck next time.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Oh my, you're an angry elf, aren't you. Is reality a second language for you? It doesn't matter what YOU believe your Senator SHOULD do. If you have two Senators, their responsibilities are already well established. You probably have a zip code, a personal phone number, an IP address, a criminal record, etc. which established your identity. Senators are NOT going to take calls from 300+ million people.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha. Where did I suggest/say that posters could not call U.S. Senators? What I am saying is that U.S. Senators are responsible to their own constituents. If you wish to annoy 100 U.S. Senators with your opinions, I say, "Go for it". Everyone needs a hobby. Unfortunately for you, only your two U.S. Senators are obligated to listen to you. The other 98 have enough constituents of their own. Better luck next time.
Hahahaha. Where in the Constitution is it defined who Senators are "obligated to listen to"? Whatever the answer, most posters will rightfully disregard the opinions of poster doorhinge on who they should or should not call, not surprisingly. Better luck next time.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Hahahaha. Where in the Constitution is it defined who Senators are "obligated to listen to"? Whatever the answer, most posters will rightfully disregard the opinions of poster doorhinge on who they should or should not call, not surprisingly. Better luck next time.
Hahahaha. U.S. Senators are elected to represent the voters/constituents/people of their State.

I still have not told people which Senators they can call. That's your strawman.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Hahahaha. U.S. Senators are elected to represent the voters/constituents/people of their State.

I still have not told people which Senators they can call. That's your strawman.
As long as senators can take money from people out of state, then there is nothing wrong with talking to a senator from out of your state.

Do you not think that if I call up your state senator, and offer him a big juicy contribution to his super pac, that he will give me far more attention than he would if you, his actual constituent, wanted to address your feelings on governing with him?
Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I'd be curious to know how many outraged people on this message board made calls to the senators who were fence riders who might vote against this piece of shit tax bill. Anyone? My wife and I called eight senators and left messages asking them to vote 'no' and giving reasons why. Anybody else? OP? If you don't make your voices heard, then just bend over and enjoy the ass-fucking.
You're right. But here's the thing. That bill was so bad that I shouldn't HAVE to call them on it. This wasn't an issue of, "let's hear how you feel, so we can decide how to vote". No sir. The `Pubs didn't give a flying fuck how any of us felt.

ETA... I accept your pitting as I curl into a ball and weep for my countrymen.

Last edited by shunpiker; 12-05-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: acceptance
Old 12-05-2017, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Anconia View Post
I've submitted comments online to my Congressman, and the form requires a zip code prior to submission. Presumably to tell who is an actual constituent.
Does the form require that the commenter enter his own ZIP code? Does the site software have any way of verifying whether the commenter really entered his own ZIP code?
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
As long as senators can take money from people out of state, then there is nothing wrong with talking to a senator from out of your state.

Do you not think that if I call up your state senator, and offer him a big juicy contribution to his super pac, that he will give me far more attention than he would if you, his actual constituent, wanted to address your feelings on governing with him?
Heck, even I'd listen to you if you paid me to, but that's not what is being discussed. Call every, and any, U.S. Senator you wish. But everyone should know that they have three representative in the U.S. Congress. Two Senators, and one Congressman. Three representative who are there to represent you. If the voters don't believe that their Representatives are representing them, or that there is someone else who will represent them better, your three representatives will be looking for honest work.

It doesn't matter how much money legislators receive from out-of-state donors who can't vote for them if the voters who can vote don't like the SOB who's taking the out-of-state donations.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Heck, even I'd listen to you if you paid me to, but that's not what is being discussed. Call every, and any, U.S. Senator you wish. But everyone should know that they have three representative in the U.S. Congress. Two Senators, and one Congressman. Three representative who are there to represent you. If the voters don't believe that their Representatives are representing them, or that there is someone else who will represent them better, your three representatives will be looking for honest work.
Voters are easily swayed, especially if the campaign coffers are full
Quote:
It doesn't matter how much money legislators receive from out-of-state donors who can't vote for them if the voters who can vote don't like the SOB who's taking the out-of-state donations.
I'd like that were true, but as money does come into the coffers and pacs from out of the states and jurisdictions of the congresscritters in question, it seems that people with much more money and influence than you and I disagree with your assessment.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 AM

I, and the majority of Americans, did NOT vote for Trump. He LOST the popular vote, which is a count of the actual votes. He won by a fluke in the rules – the Electoral College, which ironically was intended to keep demagogue so-called “populist” scumbags like himself from seizing power.

As far as ideals, and the left wing ideals, we are NOT the ones now supporting a serial child rapist from fucking Alabama. Values my fucking ass.

I wanted Bernie, but voted for Hillary. And judging from the popular vote, I’m not the only one

So you can’t blame me for that bullshit either.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Call every, and any, U.S. Senator you wish. But everyone should know that they have three representative in the U.S. Congress. Two Senators, and one Congressman. Three representative who are there to represent you. If the voters don't believe that their Representatives are representing them, or that there is someone else who will represent them better, your three representatives will be looking for honest work.
Thank you, Visiting Professor doorhinge, for the civics lesson. Perspicacious as always.

I'm sure you probably don't remember me, but I also attended your brilliant lecture on the role of the mass media in modern society, in which you just kept repeating "the media should do a better job reporting the news" over and over. I'm a huge fan of your work!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
.....I'd like that were true, but as money does come into the coffers and pacs from out of the states and jurisdictions of the congresscritters in question, it seems that people with much more money and influence than you and I disagree with your assessment.
(post shortened)

Weren't we discussing the simple notification of U.S. Senators regarding pending legislation? You know, who in the U.S. Senate should concerned citizens/constituents notify if they want to make their own, personal, legislative concerns known?

If you donate $100 to every Senator, they will listen to you. They might even take your views into consideration, if it already concurs with their own. If you donate $1000 to every Senator, you'll become even more popular. But you need to understand that you only represent one vote. In, I assume, one state. If it comes down to a choice between your out-of-state $1000 donation vs 1000 like-minded, eligible voters who disagree with your position, the Senator from another state will thank you for your donation, and will vote in favor of reelection.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG1 View Post
I, and the majority of Americans, did NOT vote for Trump. He LOST the popular vote, which is a count of the actual votes. He won by a fluke in the rules – the Electoral College, which ironically was intended to keep demagogue so-called “populist” scumbags like himself from seizing power.
(post shortened)

FYI, the majority of Americans did not vote for Hillary, either. Hillary won the race that no candidate was running for. Congratulations Hillary.

What is this "fluke in the rules" that you are referring to? Did you just become aware of what the Electoral College is? Or what it does? Did you graduate from a high school in the U.S.? Do you remember taking a Constitution Test as part of your H.S. graduation requirements?
Old 12-06-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
(post shortened)

Weren't we discussing the simple notification of U.S. Senators regarding pending legislation? You know, who in the U.S. Senate should concerned citizens/constituents notify if they want to make their own, personal, legislative concerns known?

If you donate $100 to every Senator, they will listen to you. They might even take your views into consideration, if it already concurs with their own. If you donate $1000 to every Senator, you'll become even more popular. But you need to understand that you only represent one vote. In, I assume, one state. If it comes down to a choice between your out-of-state $1000 donation vs 1000 like-minded, eligible voters who disagree with your position, the Senator from another state will thank you for your donation, and will vote in favor of reelection.
Yeah, $1000 is couch change these days. How many voters counter the millions of dollars that out of state wealthy donors are giving to congressmen?

Besides, it's doubtful to be that one sided. It's more going to be 600 like minded voters disagreeing with my position, and 400 or so agreeing with it.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
Thank you, Visiting Professor doorhinge, for the civics lesson. Perspicacious as always.

I'm sure you probably don't remember me, but I also attended your brilliant lecture on the role of the mass media in modern society, in which you just kept repeating "the media should do a better job reporting the news" over and over. I'm a huge fan of your work!
Thank you for kind words. And you're right, I don't remember you.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:45 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat View Post
Really looking forward to China's tenure as global superpower. No doubt in time they'll get as complacent as the UK, then the USA did, but I trust we all agree it's time for a change.
Seriously? I'm hoping this was said tongue in cheek with a heavy dose of sarcasm and irony. If not, well...it should be a pretty rude awakening when you figure it out.

That's what happens when you let rednecks play with anti-matter!
Old 12-06-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
(post shortened)

FYI, the majority of Americans did not vote for Hillary, either. Hillary won the race that no candidate was running for. Congratulations Hillary.

What is this "fluke in the rules" that you are referring to? Did you just become aware of what the Electoral College is? Or what it does? Did you graduate from a high school in the U.S.? Do you remember taking a Constitution Test as part of your H.S. graduation requirements?
You do realize that just because someone is aware of our peculiar electoral system, someone does not need to feel that it is the best way of doing things. No republican president has won the popular vote as a non-incumbent candidates since 1992. Democrats have won the popular vote in every election but one since then.

It is an odd feature that the person or party that receives the most support of the people doesn't get to represent the people.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yeah, $1000 is couch change these days. How many voters counter the millions of dollars that out of state wealthy donors are giving to congressmen?

Besides, it's doubtful to be that one sided. It's more going to be 600 like minded voters disagreeing with my position, and 400 or so agreeing with it.
You might want to ask 16oz Bloomberg if his millions were well spent trying to influence the voters who chose to repeatedly reject his choice of candidates.

What is in doubt? I specifically said, "If it comes down to a choice between your out-of-state $1000 donation vs 1000 like-minded, eligible voters who disagree with your position". $1000 vs 1000 like-minded, eligible voters who disagree with you. This isn't rocket surgery.

Is the thought of 1000 people disagreeing with you too much to bear? A negative 200 is OK, but 1000 is too many?
Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
You do realize that just because someone is aware of our peculiar electoral system, someone does not need to feel that it is the best way of doing things. No republican president has won the popular vote as a non-incumbent candidates since 1992. Democrats have won the popular vote in every election but one since then.

It is an odd feature that the person or party that receives the most support of the people doesn't get to represent the people.
Besides being SOP since the U.S. Constitution was ratified in 1788, I assume that most people are aware that many/most parliamentary forms of government do not directly elect their Prime Minister by popular vote, either. The political party with the majority of seats, or the coalition party with the majority of seats, selects the PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
You might want to ask 16oz Bloomberg if his millions were well spent trying to influence the voters who chose to repeatedly reject his choice of candidates.

What is in doubt? I specifically said, "If it comes down to a choice between your out-of-state $1000 donation vs 1000 like-minded, eligible voters who disagree with your position". $1000 vs 1000 like-minded, eligible voters who disagree with you. This isn't rocket surgery.
What is in doubt is for your hypothetical to ever reflect reality.
Quote:
Is the thought of 1000 people disagreeing with you too much to bear? A negative 200 is OK, but 1000 is too many?
Ummm, no? I don't see where you are trying to go with this. Are you trying to say that the congressman only has 1000 voters, and they all disagree with me? If not, then your hypothetical is stupid, if so, then you are.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Besides being SOP since the U.S. Constitution was ratified in 1788, I assume that most people are aware that many/most parliamentary forms of government do not directly elect their Prime Minister by popular vote, either. The political party with the majority of seats, or the coalition party with the majority of seats, selects the PM.
Since when do we have a prime minister?
Old 12-06-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
squeakyhinge is saying that the EC has been in place since the ratification of the US Constitution. However, in the first four elections, it functioned as intended by the Founders. Then, in '04, due to the frustration experienced in the election of '00, the EC was Amended to ultimately become the party rubber stamp that it now is. Restoring it to its original form might serve to greatly relieve the chickenshit aggravating dog-and-pony-show party fest that modern presidential elections are.

Last edited by eschereal; 12-06-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Who said we had a Prime Minster? Did you read what I actually wrote, or did someone incorrectly read it to you?
Old 12-07-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Who said we had a Prime Minster? Did you read what I actually wrote, or did someone incorrectly read it to you?
You brought up prime ministers, as if they were in any way relevant to the US's democratic process.

Quote:
As we have a different political system than those that have prime ministers, your post contributes nothing.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
.....Ummm, no? I don't see where you are trying to go with this. Are you trying to say that the congressman only has 1000 voters, and they all disagree with me? If not, then your hypothetical is stupid, if so, then you are.
I'm saying that your out-of-state $1000 pales in comparison when compared to 1000 opinionated, in-state voters who disagree with the advice you've offered their U.S. Senator(s). Do you expect the Senator(s) to jump at the chance to represent your single, not-eligible-to-vote-in-their-state position, or would they be swayed by the requests of 1000 actually-eligible-to-vote constituents?
Old 12-07-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
You brought up prime ministers, as if they were in any way relevant to the US's democratic process.
(post shortened)

Yes, I did bring up Prime Minsters and the parliamentary system of government. I did not say we had a Prime Minister.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that your out-of-state $1000 pales in comparison when compared to 1000 opinionated, in-state voters who disagree with the advice you've offered their U.S. Senator(s). Do you expect the Senator(s) to jump at the chance to represent your single, not-eligible-to-vote-in-their-state position, or would they be swayed by the requests of 1000 actually-eligible-to-vote constituents?
But I'm saying that your hypothetical is so far divorced from reality that it is meaningless.

If what you are saying had any meaning, then congresscritter would not be taking money from outside of their states or districts. They would not be listening to donors from outside their districts.

They do. People give them lots of money, and they take it and they listen to them. You are trying to argue that they would not be doing somethign that the are in fact doing.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
(post shortened)

Yes, I did bring up Prime Minsters and the parliamentary system of government. I did not say we had a Prime Minister.
Did you have any way of relating that to the conversation at hand?

Other countries do things differently. We know that. What relevance does it have to how our country does things?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
But I'm saying that your hypothetical is so far divorced from reality that it is meaningless.

If what you are saying had any meaning, then congresscritter would not be taking money from outside of their states or districts. They would not be listening to donors from outside their districts.

They do. People give them lots of money, and they take it and they listen to them. You are trying to argue that they would not be doing somethign that the are in fact doing.
Politicians will take as money as you wish to donate. That's a given.

Do you have any advice for those people who only wanted to contact (sans gifts) the Senators of states other than their own?
Old 12-07-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Did you have any way of relating that to the conversation at hand?

Other countries do things differently. We know that. What relevance does it have to how our country does things?
Some people might not have been aware that other democracies ALSO do not elect their leader by popular vote. I believe it falls under the general idea of fighting ignorance. Why do you want it to take any longer than they thought it would?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Christ Amighty, someone’s got a LOT of time on his hands this evening.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Politicians will take as money as you wish to donate. That's a given.

Do you have any advice for those people who only wanted to contact (sans gifts) the Senators of states other than their own?
Sure, give 'em a call, write 'em a letter, send 'em an email. Let them know your opinion and/or analysis of pending legislation.

Quote:
Some people might not have been aware that other democracies ALSO do not elect their leader by popular vote. I believe it falls under the general idea of fighting ignorance. Why do you want it to take any longer than they thought it would?
I seriously doubt that there were any following this thread that learned anything new from your statements.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Sure, give 'em a call, write 'em a letter, send 'em an email. Let them know your opinion and/or analysis of pending legislation.

I seriously doubt that there were any following this thread that learned anything new from your statements.
I assume that more information is better than less. YMMV.