Old 12-04-2017, 03:51 PM

Do You Still Have Hope For the United States?

One simple question: Do you have hope for the future of the United States?

Speaking for myself, I have precious little hope left. Every few days brings some affront to common decency from the piece of human filth currently festooning the Oval Office. The majority of our politicians have abandoned even the pretense that they answer to anyone but the richest of the rich. There seems to be zero accountability, and the corruption will just keep on spreading throughout the system until it is stopped ó sadly, no one who could stop it seems interested in doing so.

The USA has survived incompetence. Itís survived division. What itís faced with now is essentially open infiltration by an enemy of everything the country claims to stand for; someone who is literally working to make life worse for the average American and to tear down the rights the nation was founded upon ó and weíre just letting it happen.

At this point, Iím afraid the best-case scenario after Trump is that the US declines into a second-rate power, but manages to recover at least a modicum of decency within the next few decades. The worst-case scenario is probably a massive new Depression caused by mendacious financial irresponsibility, followed by outright civil war.

The country is very divided right now. Half has been essentially brainwashed into believing the other half are so evil that they actually support child molesters on their own side over anyone on the other side. The cracks are deep, and those in power are committed to making them deeper rather than bringing anyone together. Iím afraid we are teetering on the edge of a very deep, very dark precipice.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm waiting until at least the 2018 elections before giving up all hope.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Grips are in Aisle 5 - help yourself.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 12-04-2017, 03:57 PM

Meh. Assuming there aren't nuclear attacks, the country will survive. I'd rather have meaningless tweets sent out by the current President, then a former President approving water-boarding for prisoners.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
Grips are in Aisle 5 - help yourself.

Regards,
Shodan
You know, that would be a way better burn in the version of reality where the POTUS wasnít openly endorsing child molesters and supporting white supremacy while threatening anyone who criticizes him.

When do you think an appropriate time to be concerned about the future of the country would be? Does this feel like business as usual to you?

Iím not saying everyone should drop everything and commence full-on panic, but donít blow smoke up my ass by implying anyone worried about the way things are headed is overreacting.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:14 PM

The problem is not Trump. The problem is many millions are happy with him and many more millions tolerate them.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:15 PM

I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm growing increasingly worried. Shodan's response to the OP is a perfect explanation of why- rather than address everything that's going on with this administration, he instead seems more interested in rubbing the OP's face in it. People like him, supporting people like Trump, just furthers the divisions in the country. I honestly don't see how we can move past the tribalism and the desire to not only win, but to make the other side lose.

I had an interview with a company in Barcelona this morning, and I gotta admit, it's pretty tempting.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:18 PM

Yes, we'll live past this asshole.

"The worst things in the world are justified by belief" - U2, Raised by Wolves
Old 12-04-2017, 04:19 PM

The OP must have been asleep during history class if this point in time seems scary.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Yes. I was going to say Trump is weather not climate, but given the AGW crew that might not be the best analogy.
But as difficult as it may be to stomach while living through it this is hardly the worst time in our nation's history.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
The OP must have been asleep during history class if this point in time seems scary.
I'd say you're asleep right now.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:39 PM

Yes, I think we are entering a time of extreme turmoil, possibly a fascist takeover, and I really do not say this lightly. In fact, through all the dreary horrible Shrub years it never crossed my mind that there were enough fascists in this country to turn it over. Now it has, and I'm sure not the only one.

The far larger issue is that climate disaster on a global scale appears to be inevitable and much much sooner than wishful thinking would have it. It is linked to the topic because the deepest desire of our fascist overlords is to rip off the fabric of the planet and eat it. Oh how I wish that was hyperbole.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:45 PM

The last time I had a glimmer of hope for electoral politics was Obama, but then he surrounded himself with bankers and led an all out assault on American homeowners, so that didn't last too long.

One could hope for a populist revolution, but given American culture it's most likely to go full fash. The alt-right has successfully taken over or established a significant presence on several popular social media sites, like Youtube, Facebook, and Reddit, so the future isn't looking too good on that front. About the best you can say is that increasing numbers of people over the last decade have recognized the rotten status quo and are exploring alternatives.

Peter Frase's Four Futures describes future scenarios for humanity given the assumption that automation will become widespread and humanity will have to deal with the environment problem one way or another. I found the "extermism" scenario the most likely, given current trends -- the rich enclaves turn into fortresses and let everyone else die of neglect, enslave them, or genocide them as excess population. Techno-feudalism with capitalist lords, basically.

Trump is a symptom, not the disease. He could have a heart attack tomorrow and it would hardly matter. The extent of his usefulness is that he took off the tattered mask of respectability politics and let everyone get a good look at the rotten core.

Last edited by marshmallow; 12-04-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
I'd say you're asleep right now.
Because Iím not being hysterical? This board is sad when it comes to assessing current reality in a historical context.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Maybe you can cheer it up with some knock-knock jokes.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I was awake enough to know that Iíd rather not live through the Civil War or the Great Depression or the rise of Nazi Germany. So when I see current events that resemble the events that precipitated those periods in history, I become somewhat concerned.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:55 PM

When Trump was elected I was afraid he would destroy the economy by starting trade wars with Mexico, Canada, and China. Currently, my number one fear is that we'll accidentally get into a nuclear war. I guess that is to say I'm more optimistic then I was. He's more of a moron then I thought and can't seem to remember what and who he hates long enough to accomplish much except that North Korea wants he to remember them.

The tax bill is terrible, destroying ACA might lead to better things in the long-term, empowering racists is bad but all of these things can be fixed with a new Congress and president in a decade or two. I guess I'm at the point where I think the only long-term damage he'll cause is accidental and generally low probability.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Calredic View Post
I was awake enough to know that Iíd rather not live through the Civil War or the Great Depression or the rise of Nazi Germany. So when I see current events that resemble the events that precipitated those periods in history, I become somewhat concerned.
Those were dangerous times indeed. The solution to Trump is to not let the labor wing be cleaved, in part, from the Democratic Party and the progressive wing not to be so petulant. Seems simple enough.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:10 PM

It has been dark before. In the 70s it seemed like the country was going down. Violence, Inflation, losing in Vietnam, Gas lines, hostage crisis, hijackings, wild cat strikes, disillusionment over Watergate, rioting, popularity of disco. It was bad. We recovered.

The Great Depression was extremely depressing and hopeless for far too many, it took a long time but we recovered.

The Civil War was a rather bad period too. Things got better.

We tend to go 2 steps forward and then 1 step back in the USA. We're not too good at sustained improvement. We like to spice it with dark days.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Those were dangerous times indeed. The solution to Trump is to not let the labor wing be cleaved, in part, from the Democratic Party and the progressive wing not to be so petulant. Seems simple enough.
The real answer is for the Republicans, like you, to get their heads out of their ass and hear the lies the tangerine turd is spreading.

Go buy your Trumpy Bear before the supplies run out.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:19 PM

Not until the white baby boomers die off.

Obviously not all of them are bad (lots of white baby boomers are good people), but most brainwashed, pathologically selfish right wingers are white people over age 50.

So do I have hope? Yes, but not until the 2030s or so. By then many of the angry, brainwashed white nationalist voters will be dead and replaced by millennials and minorities. My hope is that from the 2018-2030 period the dems can win one house of congress or the presidency long enough to stop the GOP from doing too much damage. The GOP having both houses of congress and the presidency is a pretty big problem that has to be blocked.

Not all, but enough to move the overton window.

But I could be wrong. America is getting more and more insane with time, not less.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 12-04-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm on a crowded train. Suddenly, one guy bellows like an elephant, takes a massive shit in his pants, reaches in with both hands and starts flinging it in every direction. Instead of tackling him or even being angry, about half of the passengers just smile and nod. A few even clap and cheer and egg him on. They point around at me and anyone else who looks indignant and laugh like it's the funniest thing they've ever seen, even though their faces are spattered with the same shit.

At the next stop, the insane guy gets off. There's shit everywhereó on the ceiling, on the windows, and all over every man, woman and child in the train car. Some passengers are livid or near-catatonic, unable to believe or process what just happened, but others chuckle and shake their heads and go back to reading their books and phones and tablets, all dripping with shit.

No, I would not characterize myself as especially sanguine about the course of the United States at this moment.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:40 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit? View Post
It has been dark before. In the 70s it seemed like the country was going down. Violence, Inflation, losing in Vietnam, Gas lines, hostage crisis, hijackings, wild cat strikes, disillusionment over Watergate, rioting, popularity of disco. It was bad. We recovered.
Yeah. This is nothing compared to the 60s either. Major political figures assassinated. Big parts of American cities being burned down nearly every summer. Anti-war demonstrations and the war still escalating. On top of it all the Cold War with the very real possibility of Armageddon.

This is an ugly time politically to be sure. Trump I think is clearly weakening the US's standing in the world as well as the integrity of our government. But we're not going to be taken over by fascism, nor are we going to slide into a civil war.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:48 PM

As already mentioned, the Civil War era, Great Depression, WWII, and the height of the Vietnam conflict arguably were worse times for the Union. The current period is more related to the potential than the actual, but that doesn't mean the OP shouldn't be concerned. Shodan.

Donald Trump remains easily the most vicious, incompetent, day-to-day utter dickhead to have held the office of President since I've been alive (1954). Nevertheless, I'm waiting for the first mass arrests of journalists, or declaration of martial law, or aerial bombardment of North Korea, or postponement/cancellation of a major election, before I really start crapping out bricks. With that said, the next couple of years do not exactly have me overflowing with confidence for the Nation.

Last edited by El_Kabong; 12-04-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:50 PM

Living through this isn't great, but I think we'll make it out. What's been broken can be fixed.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
Not until the white baby boomers die off.

Obviously not all of them are bad (lots of white baby boomers are good people), but most brainwashed, pathologically selfish right wingers are white people over age 50.

So do I have hope? Yes, but not until the 2030s or so. By then many of the angry, brainwashed white nationalist voters will be dead and replaced by millennials and minorities. My hope is that from the 2018-2030 period the dems can win one house of congress or the presidency long enough to stop the GOP from doing too much damage. The GOP having both houses of congress and the presidency is a pretty big problem that has to be blocked.

Not all, but enough to move the overton window.

But I could be wrong. America is getting more and more insane with time, not less.
So mindset is linked to skin color now?
Old 12-04-2017, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Yes.
It ain't over.
The country that has more privately-owned small arms than many armies have--that country is not in a Civil War.
There's hope.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
So mindset is linked to skin color now?
Yes. Thats called American politics 101. Whites are more republican than non-whites.

http://www.cnn.com/election/results/exit-polls

I fully stand by my statement. Many of the most rabid, amoral, brainwashed, radicalized, misinformed, arrogant, proto-fascist right wing extremists I've met are white people over 50. More men than women, but tons of women in that group. There are non-whites and people under 50 in that group, but those 2 demographics play a big role.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tea-par...-they-believe/

Quote:
Eighteen percent of Americans identify as Tea Party supporters. The vast majority of them -- 89 percent -- are white. Just one percent is black.

They tend to skew older: Three in four are 45 years old or older, including 29 percent who are 65 plus. They are also more likely to be men (59 percent) than women (41 percent).
As they die of old age, the country will get better just like America got better when the defenders of segregation in the south died of old age.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 12-04-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Yes.
It ain't over.
The country that has more privately-owned small arms than many armies have--that country is not in a Civil War.
There's hope.
You know, this is true, and I hear this a lot (and own a few guns, including the "scary looking" AR-15), but...I'm not sure about the relevance. We don't have tanks, mortars, .50 cal machine guns, stealth fighters and bombers, hordes of grenades, light anti tank weapons like the Javelin, nuclear bombs and missiles, tons of c-4, etc, etc...in case the government gets "uppity". Our small arms won't matter when the Apaches are flying over our heads.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I'm waiting until at least the 2018 elections before giving up all hope.
Yeah. This. I'm not holding my breath, though.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
<snip>As they die of old age, the country will get better just like America got better when the defenders of segregation in the south died of old age.
What surprises, and bothers me the most is that they are still around and raising new generations that hold their 'ideals'. They put trump in office.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
What surprises, and bothers me the most is that they are still around and raising new generations that hold their 'ideals'. They put trump in office.
Younger people are more non-white. Also if you look at the exit polls, younger white people aren't as right wing as their parents.

There is no telling what will happen long term. But I'm assuming as the most radicalized, arrogant, misinformed, protofascist voters die off and are replaced, the US's politics will become more sane and responsible.

I hope.

As an example, take Roy Moore.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...nate-race.html

Quote:
Support from women is the key to the Democrat’s advantage in this red state, as Jones is their choice by 26 points (58-32 percent). The gap grows to 49 points among women under age 45 (69-20 percent), and he’s up by 11 among women ages 45 and over (51-40 percent). Jones even receives 19 percent support from Republican women (to Moore’s 68 percent).
Women under 45 prefer Jones over Moore by 49 points, women over 45 prefer Jones by 11 points. Hopefully there is a generational shift and the pro-Trump, pro-Moore aspects of the GOP die of old age before they can do too much damage to America.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 12-04-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:29 PM

Meh. We've been through a lot in 241 years. Hell, we survived Nixon. It'll be rough until 2021, but the tide will turn the other way. I'm not ready to go into survivalist mode yet.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:33 PM

The sky ain't falling. These things go in cycles. Eventually, things will shift back in the other direction. In the meantime, the sun will continue to rise, birds will sing, grass will grow--and in some states you can smoke it if ya want. Then again, a giant asteroid may destroy the Earth and kill us all at any moment, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do to stop it.
"Yes, but that's because you're a wild human, not a tame human. The likes of you would have to be kept in a zoo, and the keepers would be very careful to never put their tentacles inside the bars"--Lemur866 describing Oak, 11/13/09
Molon labe--Leonidas I

Last edited by Oakminster; 12-04-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Meh. We've been through a lot in 241 years. Hell, we survived Nixon. It'll be rough until 2021, but the tide will turn the other way. I'm not ready to go into survivalist mode yet.
Bolding mine. I think that Nixon actually gave a shit about the country. trump only cares about himself. That's the problem IMHO.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakminster View Post
The sky ain't falling. These things go in cycles. Eventually, things will shift back in the other direction. In the meantime, the sun will continue to rise, birds will sing, grass will grow--and in some states you can smoke it if ya want. Then again, a giant asteroid may destroy the Earth and kill us all at any moment, and there's not a damn thing anyone can do to stop it.
I dunno, everybody made a big deal out of it when the sun went dark a few months ago.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
I would take that venomous paranoid son of bitch over Trump any day and every day. Nixon did a lot of good, though not enough to counter the bad things he did, but what the hell good has Trump done? Under Nixon we got the first real Nuclear Arms reduction talks, he went to China, Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, signed into law OSHA and of all things the EPA. A republican put in the EPA? What a pinko commy liberal politician he must have been. Honestly, he may have been better than Cheney's puppet, Bush the lesser.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:05 PM

Not at all. Not necessarily just because of the horrible people in charge, but I completely and utterly lost faith in the vast majority of Americans. They've voted in a person who on tape admitted to committing sexual assault, a grown-ass man who tried to fuck teenagers could very well win the election, Montana voters elected a politician who assaulted a reporter, churches and concerts get shot up and all a good portion of people scream is "muh guns." Pro-lifers love to talk about abortion but don't give a damn about children being able to go to the doctor like in every other civilized country in the world (cuz that's socialism). You can show them on paper how Republican policy is horrid for them, but they're so locked into their cult that they'll continue to vote against their self-interest.

So no, no faith whatsoever. I just wish those red states would stop dragging down the civilized states.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Not at all. Not necessarily just because of the horrible people in charge, but I completely and utterly lost faith in the vast majority of Americans. They've voted in a person who on tape admitted to committing sexual assault, a grown-ass man who tried to fuck teenagers could very well win the election, Montana voters elected a politician who assaulted a reporter, churches and concerts get shot up and all a good portion of people scream is "muh guns." Pro-lifers love to talk about abortion but don't give a damn about children being able to go to the doctor like in every other civilized country in the world (cuz that's socialism). You can show them on paper how Republican policy is horrid for them, but they're so locked into their cult that they'll continue to vote against their self-interest.

So no, no faith whatsoever. I just wish those red states would stop dragging down the civilized states.
This red state/blue state nonsense is the stupidest meme to infest the boards. You do know that each state is not a homogeneous hive mind don't you? In some houses people disagree politically! Yet you think that a state can be characterized so simply?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:15 PM

Yeah, you can disagree, but it's not a good sign when Trump voters outnumber everyone else, no? I have more sympathy for purple states. Red? Not at all. Especially states that are consistently on the wrong side of history.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
This red state/blue state nonsense is the stupidest meme to infest the boards. You do know that each state is not a homogeneous hive mind don't you? In some houses people disagree politically! Yet you think that a state can be characterized so simply?
Urban vs. rural divide is more accurate than blue state vs. red state. Blue states like California are blue in the urban areas and red in the rural areas. Red states like Alabama are blue in the urban areas and red in the rural areas. Purple states like Virginia are blue in the urban areas and red in the rural areas.

But it doesn't change the argument. The statement 'I wish white rural America would stop dragging down civilized urban America' is just as accurate and true.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 12-04-2017 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
You missed his point entirely, you half-witted troll.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
Yeah, you can disagree, but it's not a good sign when Trump voters outnumber everyone else, no? I have more sympathy for purple states. Red? Not at all. Especially states that are consistently on the wrong side of history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
You missed his point entirely, you half-witted troll.
You simple fools are a large part of the hyper partisan state that the nation is currently experiencing. You, Morgenstern, also deliberately stirred the pot with the Russian sponsored California secession nonsense. That makes you the de-facto troll. Half-witted or not.

Quote:
Urban vs. rural divide is more accurate than blue state vs. red state. Blue states like California are blue in the urban areas and red in the rural areas. Red states like Alabama are blue in the urban areas and red in the rural areas. Purple states like Virginia are blue in the urban areas and red in the rural areas.

But it doesn't change the argument. The statement 'I wish white rural America would stop dragging down civilized urban America' is just as accurate and true.
White rural? Again with the race based attacks?

It's not even rural vs urban. You honestly think 100% of a city or a farming community votes one party? This isn't the USSR. Even in cities you have splits between the parties. And if the "blues" are that much more civilized and intelligent how the hell did they lose to Trump?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You simple fools are a large part of the hyper partisan state that the nation is currently experiencing. You, Morgenstern, also deliberately stirred the pot with the Russian sponsored California secession nonsense. That makes you the de-facto troll. Half-witted or not.

White rural? Again with the race based attacks?

It's not even rural vs urban. You honestly think 100% of a city or a farming community votes one party? This isn't the USSR. Even in cities you have splits between the parties. And if the "blues" are that much more civilized and intelligent how the hell did they lose to Trump?
And which party blocked everything Obama tried to do out of partisan spite? Even to the extent of going against Republican proposals and bills?

Because there were enough morons in the right place to elect trump. Remember, he did lose the popular vote.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:52 PM

They lost because of the ass-backward electoral college. There's no way in hell states like Wyoming should have as much power as they have in elections when the fifth largest city in California has more than the entire state. But yes, it's liberals who are responsible for the hyper-partisan nature of the country. The "not the party of no, but hell no" had nothing to do with it. Not the fact that Republicans were against Obama intervention but magically were for it with Trump in charge. Or the

Who said it was a race-based attack? White rural people vote overwhelmingly Republican. As do white evangelicals. African-Americans note overwhelmingly Democrat. It's not made up.

But I'll add some nuance for you. I'm tired of Republicans preventing us from being civilized. Better?

Last edited by RandMcnally; 12-04-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't expect someone who thinks Trump farts glitter to understand anything more difficult than finding water in a river. You don't disappoint, you hapless troll.
Now, get out and let the nurses lock the dayroom computer.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
The last time I had a glimmer of hope for electoral politics was Obama, but then he surrounded himself with bankers and led an all out assault on American homeowners, so that didn't last too long.
I'm not sure what your referring to here, but whatever policy differences you might have had with President Obama, I doubt it's accurate to call it "an all out assault on American homeowners." I certainly didn't feel assaulted, but what do I know?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:04 PM

All Things Must Pass

In 200 Million years, little note, nor long regard will be given to this planet.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 12-04-2017 at 09:05 PM. Reason: But this post will last FOREVER!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor View Post
Yes.
It ain't over.
There's hope.
Hope for what, exactly? Guerrilla warfare? Slaughter of civilians by strafing? You have damn strange hopes.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

How about a swap out with Canada? We give you our right wing true believers, (yes, I’m aware they pale in comparison to your lot, but they just need encouragement I’m sure!) In exchange you let your most troublesome liberal states secede and join our confederation. A strip down each coast ought to do it, NY, MASS, Washington State, California. (Ok, so I missed a few, but you get the idea!)

I should think a few more years of Trump and they’ll be ready to join our Socialist Gulag willingly. Besides if it comes to armed conflict in the streets, I gotta believe a fair number of Democrats are going to want to immigrate/ seek refugee status in the Northland. My idea just says a lot of mess for everyone.

Y’all get rid of those pesky Democrats, and they get an extremely similar, yet less gun riddled, kinder, gentler future. Plus great healthcare.

The rabid Republican dream is realized without opposition, the Democrats find a safe space. It’s a win/win to my mind.

I’m just saying, it could save a LOT of conflict, end the divide, and avoid possibly open conflict.

Just consider it, that’s all!