Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 AM

Yes, Trump said "Shates." It's not that funny.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/06/donald...d-end-7138575/

I hate Trump too, guys. I really really do.

But can we stop picking over every little thing?

I don't know what the hell happened to Trump's speaking ability. Yes, at one time he used to be pretty articulate. Maybe he is suffering from dementia or he's on drugs. Who knows?

I just know that there are many folks who have speech impediments and dysfluencies, like yours truly, who nonetheless do not shy from public speaking. It is really hard to get up in front of an audience and deliver a speech knowing you will likely slur words, mispronounce words, and stumble over sentences and phrases. With no exaggeration, I practice my presentations at least 20 times so as to minimize the likelihood I'll sound like a drunken idiot. But I know it occasionally happens. And I know the ticcing doesn't help either. I'd really hate for someone to downgrade my intelligence or doubt my sobriety just because I don't have perfect speech.

I'm not trying to staunch your hatred for Trump. I'm just saying...let's try to direct it on the substantive stuff. Like the content of yesterday's speech. By focusing on the "Shates" stuff, we sound just like Trump does when he bullies someone for being unattractive.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:28 AM

Agreed.

Stupid CNN has a link right now, "Did Trump Slur His Speech?" Of course, I had to click on it. Thanks, CNN. I listened to 11+ minutes of a reasonably articulate, if odiously motivated, speech - clearly not written by Trump - just to hear ONE. LOUSY. SLURRED. WORD. at the very end. Yeah right - who cares? Like no one else, of any political stripe, has ever stumbled over a word here and there?

Sheesh. When come back, bring an actual story.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:39 AM

Not funny at all. It just makes you wonder if he has some neurological disorder, loose dentures, or is on narcotics. His mental health is something of national interest, given the power of the office. I wish the White House would let us know what his problem was. Perhaps they're trying to find a way to blame it on Obama or combing through the old videos to see if Hillary every had slurred speech.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
I'm not trying to staunch your hatred for Trump. I'm just saying...let's try to direct it on the substantive stuff. Like the content of yesterday's speech. By focusing on the "Shates" stuff, we sound just like Trump does when he bullies someone for being unattractive.
Agreed.

I do think it's okay to wonder if he's well. But I don't think that's what most of the ruckus is about.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Maybe it's an early sign of a severe brain aneurysm!!

Dare I hope?!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:47 AM

I also agree. It appears to me that he has false teeth, and the lower set moved as he was finishing his sentence. He makes several moves with his mouth after finishing that appear to be typical of someone trying to reset his lower plate with his tongue. This could happen to anyone with false teeth.

I'm pretty sure he would be reluctant to admit that he has false teeth.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:58 AM

"My teeth are all my own, and they're beautiful teeth. In fact they're the best teeth of anybody's. I have more teeth in my mouth then everybody else. I have 40 teeth in my mouth, and they're the whitest and strongest teeth of all! That's why I make such incredible speeches. MAGA!"
Old 12-07-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem View Post
...if Hillary every had slurred speech.
You feelin' alright there, Bob?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rad View Post
You feelin' alright there, Bob?
A little slurred typing. My apologies.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM

I disagree. Laughing at the clowns is actually more important in bringing them down than blandly criticizing policy. Itís even more important than criticizing policy in a funny Stephen Colbert sort of way.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:25 AM

I wish I was a good enough person to not think that it's funny when a bully gets bullied for something that he would have been a bully over, but I'm not. Sorry, but it's funny.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:27 AM

sounds like dentures
Old 12-07-2017, 09:31 AM

I wouldn't care one iota if it wouldn't be a guy who has made a career out of bullying and ridiculing disabled people.
This almost makes me wish I was more schadenfreude-type. Too bad he won't learn anything from all the pointing and laughing in the world.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:34 AM

Sorry, Monstro, you may be my favorite doper. When did Obama do anything similar? It wasn't just "shates". Trump slurred the entire speech. If he wasn't feeling well, why didn't he postpone?

You are normalizing abnormal behavior. Because Trump does 1000 egregious things a day, is not reason to give a pass to him on the 1001th.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:39 AM

I also thought his little speaking malfunction was the result of loose dentures rather than slurred speech. A 70+ year old guy with dentures that came loose at an inopportune moment is a completely understandable and inconsequential thing. I'm mostly annoyed by the reflexive and pointless lying of the administration. He had a "dry throat"? Seriously? Just admit his teeth were loose, or euphemize it as "the President had a problem with his dental work" or something.

Yeah, Trump mocks and bullies the disabled, and fuck him for that. But I like to try to be a better person than the President of the United States.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayard View Post
Yeah, Trump mocks and bullies the disabled, and fuck him for that. But I like to try to be a better person than the President of the United States.
Not only that, for me. I don't want to act like it's horrific or gross or shameful to have dentures. Millions of Americans do. They are often poor and were unable to afford the sort of dental care that would have helped them avoid extractions.

For me, there's a big difference between "Is the president well? Can he do this job?" and "Nyah, physical infirmities make you weak and a loser and are shameful and laughable!"

Last edited by wonky; 12-07-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fervour View Post
When did Obama do anything similar?
57 States?

I agree that Trump would remorselessly mock anyone else who said "shates" but that doesn't mean I have to sink to his level. It's not as if we can't come up with enough substantive criticisms. I felt the same about GWB's disfluencies.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
He had a "dry throat"? Seriously? Just admit his teeth were loose, or euphemize it as "the President had a problem with his dental work" or something.
An obvious lie, yes, but it's hard to imagine that an embarrassing dental malfunction would be the landmark event about which the White House would decide to experiment with the truth.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74westy View Post
57 States?
. . . .
I disagree. "57 states" was clearly a brainfart.

And this dentures thing; There is no official record of Trump having dentures. We're just going to run with it here on the dope? Poor little ole Trump was having denture problems?

My god! give me a break.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I disagree. "57 states" was clearly a brainfart.
People need to get off the 57 states business. When you count all the territories and Americans Abroad and such, you have more than 50 contests. Obama was speaking of the number of contests and it came out as states. Jesus.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:13 AM

He was talking about states he'd been to and was trying to say "forty-seven out of fifty". And due to fatigue and other factors it came out "fifty-seven".
Old 12-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Trump does 1000 egregious things a day, is not reason to give a pass to him on the 1001th.
You feelin' alright there, fervour.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:17 AM

I like presidents who don't have dentures.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
You feelin' alright there, fervour.
" 'Cause every night I have the strangest dreams. . ."
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaneBill View Post
I wouldn't care one iota if it wouldn't be a guy who has made a career out of bullying and ridiculing disabled people.
I like Presidents who don't slur their words.

Damn you, Son of a Rich!
Old 12-07-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Agreed.

Stupid CNN has a link right now, "Did Trump Slur His Speech?" Of course, I had to click on it. Thanks, CNN. I listened to 11+ minutes of a reasonably articulate, if odiously motivated, speech - clearly not written by Trump - just to hear ONE. LOUSY. SLURRED. WORD. at the very end. Yeah right - who cares? Like no one else, of any political stripe, has ever stumbled over a word here and there?

The "Shates" is the most obvious (I don't even hear a t in there), but his enunciation starts deteriorating before that. This isn't stumbling over a single word, it's a genuinely mystifying event.

It's not a story for more than a day, unless it happens again or information comes out about a sinister reason for it, but it's still not "stumbled over a word here and there".
Old 12-07-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/06/donald...d-end-7138575/

I hate Trump too, guys. I really really do.

But can we stop picking over every little thing?

I don't know what the hell happened to Trump's speaking ability. Yes, at one time he used to be pretty articulate. Maybe he is suffering from dementia or he's on drugs. Who knows?

I just know that there are many folks who have speech impediments and dysfluencies, like yours truly, who nonetheless do not shy from public speaking. It is really hard to get up in front of an audience and deliver a speech knowing you will likely slur words, mispronounce words, and stumble over sentences and phrases. With no exaggeration, I practice my presentations at least 20 times so as to minimize the likelihood I'll sound like a drunken idiot. But I know it occasionally happens. And I know the ticcing doesn't help either. I'd really hate for someone to downgrade my intelligence or doubt my sobriety just because I don't have perfect speech.

You know us better than that. We'd never make fun of someone with a speech impediment unless that asshole spend 23 1/2 hours a day lying to us and telling us how much smarter he is than we are. In that case, furk that lying, retarded, spazass. Furk him with a bucket full of soft-serve dog shit. The only thing I want to hear out of his mouth is "call 911, I think it's a heart attack."

The more you love America, the more you hate Trump. (Morgensten's theorem...)

Last edited by Morgenstern; 12-07-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:01 AM

Do you all remember when McCain began having problems with his public speaking? It culminated with his questions at a hearing, when he was clearly not himself.

Some people may be pointing and laughing. I guarantee that some people are thinking back to that relatively recent example, and looking at all of Trump's recent erratic behavior, and wondering if this is another symptom.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Do you all remember when McCain began having problems with his public speaking? It culminated with his questions at a hearing, when he was clearly not himself.

Some people may be pointing and laughing. I guarantee that some people are thinking back to that relatively recent example, and looking at all of Trump's recent erratic behavior, and wondering if this is another symptom.
A stroke?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM

Yes, that was my first thought, although this would be a new episode. Another tumor seems unlikely, but fits the symptoms better. Actually, some form of substance abuse would fit the symptoms too.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 AM

If one of Trump's numerous political enemies stuttered over a word, Trump would call them "Mel Tillis" from then on.

I have no problem with Trump getting what he's given.

Last edited by kayaker; 12-07-2017 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 AM

Trump is merely laying the groundwork for his incapacitation defense in his upcoming criminal trials.

I swear I've never seen the word "dysfluency" before and now twice in this thread.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

He started okay. I gotta go with the loose Poligrip hypothesis on this one.

I'd still like to know about his sniffling in the debates - failed cold medicine, or something less licit?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
He started okay. I gotta go with the loose Poligrip hypothesis on this one. ...
Or some American Patriot has slipped something into the tangerine tanning cream, like LSD?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, that was my first thought, although this would be a new episode. Another tumor seems unlikely,
Another tumor?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:05 PM

Don’t people (especially those with means) get implants these days instead of dentures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2017, 12:06 PM

It wouldn't bother me if people showed president Gargle Marbles the same compassion he showed the disabled reporter.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Lendervedder View Post
Another tumor?
Yes, in addition to the one above his neck.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
When did Obama do anything similar?
Well, there was that "57 shates" moment.
Muad'Dib - DAMN YOU BRYAN EKERS !!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Trump's recent erratic behavior
Recent?

What with everything else, I can't get excited about one word stumble.

Anyone remember "Bushisms", or fussing over how Obama pronounced words?

We need to get off this subject and get onto what really matters, like Presidential vacation time.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCarol View Post
Agreed.

Everyone I ever met who voted for him said it was because he was "real."

Now we have a "situation" in the country, directly having to do with this.

Ridicule is political. The only question is how far.

His unreality should be reported on, in every instance, down to the molecule. He's pushing towards anti-democracy. The first year of this will be seen as a vacation compared to the second and third. Get ready to see "shock events" which will provide a rationale for deep wish lists of anti-democratic people in the US and out.

Or do you think the middle east is going to settle down now?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
We need to get off this subject and get onto what really matters, like Presidential vacation time.
Agreed. We could all use a break from him.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

His golf outing in Palm Beach this weekend looks like it's going to be rained out. Is that satisfying enough?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver View Post
Agreed. We could all use a break from him.
We're going to need the rest with the absolute shitstorm he just released in Jerusalem. How can anyone be stupid enough to poor gasoline on a fire?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgenstern View Post
We're going to need the rest with the absolute shitstorm he just released in Jerusalem. How can anyone be stupid enough to poor gasoline on a fire?
Someone who's fireproof.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It wouldn't bother me if people showed president Gargle Marbles the same compassion he showed the disabled reporter.
But when he attacked the reporter, he was also attacking everyone with a similar disability. If we attack Trump for a disability, we are also attacking everyone with a similar disability. I don't want to attack innocent people just to express my contempt for Trump.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
What with everything else, I can't get excited about one word stumble.
But it was most of that whole speech, not just one word. It was most obvious with that one word, but it was the whole speech. It did sound to me consistent with dentures coming loose.

And just imagine if it were President Hillary who did that, how Fox News would cover it. Hell, how they DID cover it the time she stumbled.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveyearlurker View Post
Donít people (especially those with means) get implants these days instead of dentures?
People with means usually don't scotch tape their ties to their shirts and consume a diet of fast food and ketchup-covered steaks, either. I don't put ill-fitting dentures past him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtC View Post
And just imagine if it were President Hillary who did that, how Fox News would cover it. Hell, how they DID cover it the time she stumbled.
In addition to trying to behave better than the President, I also try to behave better than Fox News personalities.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
a diet of fast food and ketchup-covered steaks
Story is his standard lunch is 2 Big Macs, 2 Filet O Fish, and a milkshake. That's 2500 or so calories right there, most of them empty.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
Story is his standard lunch is 2 Big Macs, 2 Filet O Fish, and a milkshake. That's 2500 or so calories right there, most of them empty.
i don't know, he looks pretty full.