View Poll Results: Which side of a shared bed do you prefer?
Left Side 23 25.00%
Right Side 29 31.52%
the side closest to the bathroom/door 7 7.61%
the side closest to the window 8 8.70%
Either Side is Fine with Me 24 26.09%
We don't need no stinkin' bed! We sleep on scree with irkupine pillows 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2017, 06:52 PM

Which side of the bed?

When sharing a bed with one other person, do you have a preference for a particular side? I know that when there is physical intimacy involved, I definitely have a side preference, which involves convenience of dexterity. If you have a spouse/partner, how did you negotiate your regular arrangement?

By “right side” or “left side”, I mean that, lying on your back, that is the side of your body closest to the edge.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Left, at least in this house. My wife gets up more often than I do during the night and her side is more of a straight shot to the bathroom. In the RV, it's the right side because of leg room. In hotels, it's bathroom driven.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:22 PM

In my experience, I've found that women prefer the side that is closest to the bathroom, so I let them have it.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:41 PM

My husband is 6'10", so he sleeps diagonally on our king-size bed. I take whatever space doesn't have a cat on it.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:53 PM

Left side. Wife and I have just been doing it that way forever.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
My husband is 6'10", so he sleeps diagonally on our king-size bed. I take whatever space doesn't have a cat on it.

20 years with my Wife and I take the left side. Same house the entire time. I am closer to the bathroom, but not by much. She has her alarm clock, I have mine (well just my phone now).

At hotels I seem to end up on the other side. Just seems to be the way rooms are laid out.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:14 PM

The lady of the house runs hot, so she always sleeps on the side closest to the window, whichever side that happens to be. When we're at home, that's left side for her and right side for me.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:01 PM

Hubby gets proximity to windows, since he sleeps hot. I get a collection of large, black dogs, also known as assassin dogs. They blend really well with "night", and they're very silent. After you fall over them, they look at you accusingly and then go back to sleep. A win for almost everyone.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:27 PM
"Superstar"

Hubby takes the side closest to the door and that puts me closer to the window, wherever we are.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:29 PM

Left because I'm not given a choice. I prefer to be farthest from the door, so that home invaders/monsters/ninjas get her first. Before that was true, we recently moved beds and now it's not.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Hubby gets proximity to windows, since he sleeps hot. I get a collection of large, black dogs, also known as assassin dogs. They blend really well with "night", and they're very silent. After you fall over them, they look at you accusingly and then go back to sleep. A win for almost everyone.
Mine are like that except not black, and not silent. They say URK, AWF when you trip over them, and scrabble to get away. Over the years I have become inured.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

I don't have any preference, and I'm not sure there is any rule with me and my wife. I think I tend to sleep on the left side, but it's not a rule. I'm not sure it occurred to us to have a preference. At her condo when we were dating, I think I tended to sleep on the right side. Neither were a question of proximity to a bathroom or a wall abutting one side of the bed (though in beds that are against a wall, I tend to slightly prefer being "inside," so against the wall.)
Old 12-19-2017, 09:55 PM

Left side. We've been doing it that way for 39 years and counting. Bathroom doesn't matter - in this house I'm closer, in our last house she was. In our first place we were equidistant.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:49 PM

I never liked having "his and hers" sides of the bed.

I would alternate. My wife went along with it for a while, but then settled into the left side (looking at it from the foot of the bed) side. Now that's her side. Guess that makes the right side mine.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 PM

Since I have acid reflux and need to lean only to the left, not my right side, I go with the right side of the bed.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:09 PM

I said "either side" but it's actually far more pernicious than your selection allows. Left on my own, I will sprawl through the center, leaving not a corner undisturbed. But if I'm with a partner I become a very aggressive cuddler.

Now don't get me wrong, I do understand those groans vibrating through the interwebs. I get it, and fully respect his right to get a decent night's rest. But once I fall asleep all bets are off. I will be laid right beside him and fully cuddled up within minutes of dozing off, apparently. I'm told there is no escape.

So the answer is not "either side" or "any side" but "I"m pretty much going to be wherever you are; might as well save your money and buy the smaller mattress."

Last edited by TruCelt; 12-19-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razncain View Post
In my experience, I've found that women prefer the side that is closest to the bathroom, so I let them have it.
Woman here, but my side is away from the bathroom. Not because anyone goes more frequently, although that would be me, probably. But because I am claustrophobic and our bedroom has no windows and I need to see the outside. There's a sliding glass door to the backyard on the opposite side of the room from the doors to the bathroom and to the rest of the house. I get the side of the bed closest to the light from the outside.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
… with a partner I become a very aggressive cuddler … there is no escape … I"m pretty much going to be wherever you are …

So, a proper (unspread) hammock would be ideal?
Old 12-19-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
So, a proper (unspread) hammock would be ideal?
Or role-playing you're Luke and they're a Tauntaun.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:50 AM

The side closest to the window and fresh air. Hot flushes, yannow!
Old 12-20-2017, 05:56 AM

Voted "right" with the way you worded it. Standing at the foot of the bed, looking at the headboard....I prefer the left side.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razncain View Post
I do, but of course when I'm sharing a room with my mother she gets that one.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:38 AM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

When we were first married, I slept on the left side of the bed, and he was on the right. But shortly thereafter, we switched and it's been that way ever since. Dunno why.

On occasions when I've traveled alone, I tend to choose the more convenient side of the bed - usually nearest the night stand where the remote sits. Since I mainly sleep on my back, it doesn't seem to matter which side of the bed I take.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:53 AM

Totally doesn't matter to me. At home she sleeps on the side that controls the window ac. When traveling, I wait until she chooses, then get in on the opposite side.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:52 AM

I sleep alone and I still sleep closer to the bedside table/bathroom. I rotate the mattress twice a year to wear it evenly.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:54 AM

Ours is alarm clock driven. My wife almost always gets up before me since it takes her considerably longer to get ready. Hence, she sleeps on the side nearest the alarm clock. By the time my alarm goes off she is up and out of the bed.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFree View Post
Voted "right" with the way you worded it. Standing at the foot of the bed, looking at the headboard....I prefer the left side.
That's the right side, per the OP, though I wonder if that's another poll about what "right and left" mean without context. I agree with the OP's definition.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
That's the right side, per the OP, though I wonder if that's another poll about what "right and left" mean without context. I agree with the OP's definition.
I tend to think of them as "driver's side" and "passenger side" as if you were side by side in a car.* With the seats reclined all the way back, of course!

*although then you'd have to specify which country you were driving in, so you can never win, can you?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:43 PM

“Driver's” side? Ahem.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:17 AM

If you have a race car bed like cool people, then there is no ambiguity!
Old 12-21-2017, 09:41 AM

My wife took the right side of the bed when we moved into our current house. I'd always had the right side before that, not just with her, but before that, with any girlfriend I shared a bed with. After 19 years, it still feels wrong, but it ain't gonna change.

In the middle of the night, I usually move to the guest bed to finish out the night. This is undoubtedly part of the reason.

Last edited by RTFirefly; 12-21-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:47 AM
The Zeroeth Mod

At home, I'm on the right side, but it varies when we stay in hotels. Where I sleep is usually in this order of priority:
  1. The side closest to the air conditioning source
  2. The side of the bed that has a clock (I wake up during the night and tend to care what time it is)
  3. The side of the bed closest to the bathroom
Old 12-21-2017, 10:47 AM
born to be shunned

I like to be as far from the door as possible. This habit carries over in the case of hotel rooms with twin beds as well.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
In the middle of the night, I usually move to the guest bed to finish out the night. This is undoubtedly part of the reason.
I assume you have your guest's consent, right?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
I assume you have your guest's consent, right?
Well, what is your definition of “hospitality”?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschereal View Post
Well, what is your definition of “hospitality”?
Fresh squeezed orange juice, bagels, and lox for breakfast.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

No option for "top side"?

(actually I live alone, but I don't think it would much matter)
Old 12-21-2017, 05:30 PM

Married 16 years. Never slept sides. Mostly we have had beds pushed into the corner, so whoever goes to bed first ends up on the inside. If there is any punctuating of the equilibrium, we end up where we end up. No real rhyme or reason to it.

When the boychik was a baby and I was nursing, I was on the outside most of the time, but now there's no reason for anyone to sleep anywhere in particular.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:07 PM

Left side and I hate it. For years I was on the right side, as is proper and as God intended in his divine plan. Then a couple years ago when we finished a renovation for a new master suite and got our new king size bed, she violated the Natural Order of Things and took the right side. My side. Now I'm on the left side, still uncomfortable with it. Fortunately I do travel for business frequently and it gives me a brief respite where I can sleep on the right side again bringing balance to The Force.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Left because I'm not given a choice. I prefer to be farthest from the door, so that home invaders/monsters/ninjas get her first. Before that was true, we recently moved beds and now it's not.
You might like this Chris Porter bit about the subject, then; it's become known as the "rape nudge" bit. **** It's audio, no video but there is NSFW language ****

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 12-21-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:07 PM

On the right side for, umm, dexterity reasons. She’s over on the left, so my right hand is always ready to...

... rub her back. Yeah, that’s it, rub her back.