An urgent massage to the manager

Yeah, I know there have been a several previous threads on this, both in MPSIMS and GQ (a search turned up one in MPSIMS in July). But I recently received a new incarnation of The Nigeria Scam (this one from Cote d’Ivoire and Togo), which I found particularly amusing since it arrived with the subject heading in the thread title, and I just had to share:

This one is particularly bizarre because, instead of the money being locked up in some bank account, they supposedly have $20 million US cash sitting stacked in a box - and they can’t figure out what to do with it. They also say I need to go to lovely Lome, Togo, to pick it up personally, and open a new bank account there. Usually these guys just ask for your existing US bank account. I’m sure that if I did call them, that’s what they would eventually want. But as it’s currently framed, the whole deal makes even less sense than the usual scam.

Any other sightings of this particular scam? And has anyone else ever received an urgent massage?

A more typical example of the Nigeria is the one below, which I received last week. Interestingly, Mr. Eze also is offering me a massage, this one surprising instead of urgent: “I KNOW THAT THIS MASSAGE WILL COME TO YOU AS A SURPRISE AS WE DON’T KNOW OUR SELVES BEFORE”

So wait, all I have to do is fly to Africa and open up an account or something, then I will be a millionaire? Sounds better than playing the lottery. Where do I sign?

[/QUOTE]

Bullshit! Any bank in the world would accept 20 million dollars in US cash. Shit, with that much you could start your own bank. Must be some strange Nigerian law that was enacted to maintain their financial instability as a third-world nation. :rolleyes:

BTW, I should point out that the FBI recently went abroad with a SWAT team to rescue a group of American victims of the “Nigerian Scam.” The victims went over to Africa to do the deal, and ended up being held for ransom. FBI agents broke em out. I read about this on CNN.com but I can’t find the cite.

I’m pretty sure it’s also on Snopes somewhere…

20 mil in 100 dollar bills would make a very big box.

There are tons of these scams… the scary part is, that a few people were recently lured to Africa and murdered. I can’t recall where I saw this but if the cite is of great importance to anyone I can search for it.

A listing of several Nigeria Scam Letters: http://www.naspa.com.au/scam.htm

• Rob