Literature set in space colonies

How many stories set in space colonies can we think of? Note that I mean space colonies, like Babylon 5, Deep Space Nine or an O’Neill colony, not planetside structures like a lunar or Martian colony.

The only one that comes to mind offhand is Joe Haldemans three “Worlds” books, Worlds, Worlds Apart and Worlds Enough And Time. Any others? Good or bad?

Anyone? Fenris? Anyone?

Jst so you don’t feel everyone is ignoring you . .

I have a book at home which is mostly set on Space Arks. Giant sapce craft designed for relocating the human race. I know it’s not quite the same as what you’re looking for but When I get home I’ll see if I can find it anyway.

[sub]I must spell check my posts, I must spell check my posts[/sub]

Gene Wolfe’s Book of the Long Sun series is an interesting take on the genre.

Solaris, by Stanislaw Lem.

Neuromancer has some interesting scenes from colonies orbiting the Earth.

I don’t know if it is any good, but “Colony” by Ben Bova takes place at least in part in an orbiting city.

Ringworld.
The Cat who Walks through Walls.
Neuromancer.
Orphans in the Sky (if they’ve been travelling long enough to forget they’re on a ship, they’re a space colony).

Brian Aldiss’ Non-Stop
Arthur Clarke’s Islands in the Sky
Bruce Sterling’s Schismatrix
Christopher Hinz’s Paratwa trilogy (falls into the “bad” category, I think…)
Chris Beebee’s The Hub (plummets into the “bad” category with a happy shout of “Whee! Look at me! I’m complete and utter garbage!” I’m almost ashamed to admit I’ve read this book.)

Thanks, y’all. This is just what I was looking for.

Ethilrist, surely you don’t count Ringworld as a space colony! It’s more like a…well, I don’t know what it’s like, but I wouldn’t call it a space colony. No more so than Rama.

Steve Wright, do you mean The Hub is schlocky good fun? Does it have redeeming value?

What? It’s not on a planet or moon. It’s topographically similar to an O’Neil colony. The only difference is scale.

How about Cities in Flight?

Good call on Gene Wolfe. Marvelous reading.

Though not exactly what the OP may be looking for, try This Alien Shore by CS Friedman.

Redeeming value? Umm… you could wedge it under a short table leg, I guess… No, it’s just a bad book. Forget I mentioned it. (I’m pretty sure it’s out of print anyway.)

Robert A. Heinlein’s “Orphans of the Sky,” an expansion of his novella Universe
Harlan Ellison’s script Phoenix Without Ashes

Nobody mentionned Mack Reynolds ? With books like The LaGrangists, Chaos in LaGrangia, LaGrange Five and Trojan Orbit, I think that he would qualify.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress is almost readable Heinlein about revolt in the Lunar colony.

Any of Ian Banks’ “culture” novels such as “Player of Games” “The Use of Weapons” etc. They live on “Orbitals” – manmade planets – and city-sized, sentient ships.

One of the supporting characters in Peter F. Hamilton’s Reality Dysfunction is a sentient, biological space colony.

Towards the end of Nancy Kress’s Beggars series, much is set in an orbital habitat, including a struggle for independence. But that’s kind of tangential to the series as a whole.

Brin and Bear’s Heart of the Comet is about an expedition to, and eventual colonization of, a comet. I found it very interesting, but it’s also not quite what the OP was after.

Check out Allen Steele. Particularly his 1990 book Clarke County, Space. Many of his books and short stories share a near future setting where earth orbit and the lunar surface have been colonized for comercial purposes and most space travelers are orbital construction crews.

Everyone beat me to it!

Lemme see if I can think of any that haven’t been named already. I seem to recall that there were a ton in the late-70s during the heyday of the L5 Society. I associate these with Baen and Bova.

Didn’t Michael Flynn write a series of books (Firestar, etc) about the building of one of these colonies?

And the Allen Steele recommendation is strongly seconded.

Fenris