The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-30-2001, 09:25 PM

Others have asked me this as well...

Can a dead bee (honey, wasp, etc.) sting? Is the stinger a spring-loaded mechanism? Or, is it a conscious act? What about bees which can sting multiple times, or so I've heard some can.

Not a bee fan at all...
- Jinx
Advertisements  
Old 09-30-2001, 11:11 PM

I had always heard that this was the case. Certainly after a honeybee stings, its detached stinger continues to pump as the bee crawls away. In larger animals, the nervous system and muscles remain responsive to electrical stimulation for a time after death.

So it seems reasonable, and there's rumors to back it up. Wish I could do better than that, but it's enough to keep me cautious.
Old 10-01-2001, 12:52 AM

I had a friend in high school who, in study hall claimed to kill a bee and use the back end of it to sting the person in front of him. Usually i would question anything i heard from someone who would actually try this, but i saw the swelling on the kids neck and it sure as heck looked like a bee sting.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

When I was a child, I found a dead bee floating in our swimming pool, and flicked it out onto the pool edging. Then I forgot about it. My brother put his hand down on it as he was climbing out of the pool and was stung. I was a very unpopular brother for a while, for not disposing of the damn thing properly.

So the answer is yes.
Old 10-01-2001, 01:49 AM

I beleive the stinger remains "active" for a little while after the bee is dead - it doesn't actually go for you, but you happen to jam it into yourself somehow, and it will do it's thing. Same goes for porqupine quills I think (pulled a few out of some road kill last week, and was very cautious about it).
Old 10-01-2001, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

Reminds me of that scene in To Have And Have Not, starring Humphrey Bogart (Harry Morgan), Lauren Bacall (Slim) and Walter Brennan (Eddie):
Quote:
[b]Eddie: Say, was you ever bit by a dead bee?

Beauclerc: I have no memory of ever being bit by any kind of bee.

Slim: (interjecting) Were you?

Eddie: You're alright, lady. You and Harry's the only one that ever...

Morgan: Don't forget Frenchie.

Eddie: That's right. You and Harry and Frenchie. You know, you got to be careful of dead bees if you're goin' around barefooted, 'cause if you step on them they can sting you just as bad as if they was alive, especially if they was kind of mad when they got killed. I bet I been bit a hundred times that way.

Slim: You have? Why don't you bite them back?

Eddie: That's what Harry always says. But I ain't got no stinger.[b]
Old 10-01-2001, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Fear Itself: I was going to make the THaHN ref, but you did a better job of it.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jinx
What about bees which can sting multiple times, or so I've heard some can.
All bees and wasps can sting multiple times. The only species that can't is the honey bee, which leaves its stinger in and dies. Cecil recently commented on this and there's a thread on Comments in this regard.
Old 10-01-2001, 10:28 AM

Another stingee weighing in: Yep. I found a dead bee on the ground at my Grandparents house. I picked it up, and wondered whether it could sting you. I carefully touched the stinger. For a moment, nothing. Then, yep, the poison kicked in. Ouch.
Old 10-01-2001, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Eddie: That's right. You and Harry and Frenchie. You know, you got to be careful of dead bees if you're goin' around barefooted, 'cause if you step on them they can sting you just as bad as if they was alive, especially if they was kind of mad when they got killed. I bet I been bit a hundred times that way.
I stepped on a dead bee and I got stung. My foot wouldn't fit my shoes for almost a week (I'm a bit allergic to bee stings).