Hey, Civil War buffs, what were the 10 most important battles of the Civil War?

I realize that there probably isn’t any general agreement over this question. It’s like asking “What were the ten most important books of the 20th century” or “What were the ten most important technological breakthroughs of the 19th century”.

Even so, I’d like some feedback from those of you who actually know something about the history of the war. Please tell me which ten battles you consider the most important as well as a brief statement justifying your choice (e.g. “Gettysburg. Represented high water mark of Southern military effort, generally considered turning point of the war”). Please, no bickering or the mod will take it over to Great Debates. Hey, I know I’m asking a lot, so thanks in advance to all of you who respond.

Brice’s Crossroads because it gave our small town a tourist attraction.

kniz…

That was N B Forrest’s great moment.

As for the op…

The top three…

Vicksburg. Took the Mississippi away from the south. And catapulted Grant to the top.

Gettysburg. While not a major loss in the whole scheme of things it did a lot to lower morale.

Atlanta. Opened the door for Sherman to march to the sea.

1st Manassas (First battle of Bull Run)-defeated Union hopes that the rebellion could be quickly smashed.

Antietam-Not only was it the costliest battle in US history, it also stopped an invasion of the north, and gave Lincoln the opportunity to issue the Emancipation Proclamation

Gettysburg-for the reasons in the OP

Shiloh-Pretty much put paid to Beauregard’s army, smashed the chance of a Confederate counterattack up the Mississippi.

Battle of Island #10/New Madrid-secured the upper Mississippi, destroyed any chances Missouri could have come in on the side of the Confederacy

New Orleans-Secured the lower Mississippi, took the Confederacy’s largest and most famous city, shut off the Mississippi as a Confederate transport area

Appomatox Court House-Surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia. Virtual end of the war.

Atlanta-Left Georgia and the Carolinas open to a Union advance.

Chancellorsville-One of the major Confederate victories, Death of T.J. “Stonewall” Jackson

Fort Wagner/Morris Island-First major battle fought by a Negro regiment. Proved that black troops could fight.

Google. “American civil war key battles”.

One personal opinion.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gfeldmeth/chart.civwar.html

Another personal opinion.

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/civilwar/

Generally I’m with Captain Amazing, but we need to add:

The Seven Days—kept the Confederacy alive when it was on the verge of an early demise, and brought Lee to command of the South’s principal force in the critical theater.

Nashville—put and end to any hope and vestige of the Confederacy in the West.

Champion’s Hill and Black River Bridge—sealed the fate of the Vicksburg army.

Five Forks—broke the siege of Petersburg and forced Lee’s retreat to Appomattox Court House.

Picacho Pass, AZ ???

DDG I did not dig too deeply into that site, but I didn’t get the impression that that list constituted someone’s idea of the “most important battles.”

This is more of an IMHO than a GQ, so I’ll move it.

bibliophage
moderator GQ

My pick:

Gettysburg- the real turning point, the end of any real chance for the South to win tactically

Shiloh- helped decide the West, also marked the rise of Grant

Vicksburg- one of the final nails in the western coffin, also extremely important for political reasons and insuring Lincoln’s re-election

Atlanta/March to the See- fruition of total war

Naval battle of Monitor and Merrimac- new age of naval combat

Chickamauga/Chattanuga- opened the door to Georgia and the Carolinas

Franklin/Nashville- the only time an army was destroyed in battle

Cold Harbor- showed how bloody and horrific the final days would be

Bull Run- showed how awful the entire war would be

Appomatax- the end

To the Holy See? Boy, that’s total war – I didn’t know the Pope was involved.

I can’t anything to the previous, other than my own ranking:

1. Gettysburg – For all the reasons listed. Important in all respects.
  2. Antietam – because it lead to the Emanicipation Proclamation
  3. Chancellorsville – the loss of Jackson was crucial to the fall of the South – if Jackson lived, the South would have won at Gettysburg.
  4. Shiloh – Rise of Grant
  5. Battle Above the Clouds – Best name :slight_smile: and it allowed Sherman to break out and head toward Atlanta.
  6. Chickamaugua – a bloody mess
  7. First Bull Run – Showed the war wouldn’t be quick, and gave Jackson his prominence.
  8. Vicksburg campagn – cut the South in half.
  9. The Wilderness – Because Grant refused to retreat afterwards.
  10. Mobile Bay – best slogan (“Damn the torpedoes . . .” :slight_smile: ) and closed up the last of the southern ports.

As a Fredericksburg, VA native I’m a little biased - I’ve walked along Sunken Road, stood on the banks of the Rappahannock and looked up into the heights, and seen the tens of thousands of luminairies in the national cemetary lit on Memorial Day each year. It was at Fredericksburg that Lee said, upon seeing the Union soilers mowed down like grass before the blade, “It is good that war is so terrible, lest we grow too fond of it.”

I’m suprised no has mentioned the capture of Fort Donelson and Fort Henry. These protected the Cumberland and Tennessee rivers. Without them the North could not have launched the capaigns in the west of '62 and '63.

I also second:
1st Bull Run/Manassas - Denied the Union a quick war.
Gettysburg - Stopped Lee, who never got on the offensive again.
Vicksburg - Split the South, denying the flow of vital materiel and opened the Mississippi to the Midewest (in my opinion the turning point of the war).
Atlanta - The death knell for the South. After this it was only a matter of time.
and
Seven Days - The rise of Lee who would control the War in East until '64.

It’s not 10 but these are the biggies IMHO.

[Nitpick/personal pet peeve]

The Monitor never fought the Merrimac. The Monitor fought the Virginia. PLEASE, PLEASE, try and get this right in the future.

[/Nitpick/personal pet peeve]

Reality Chuck: You didn’t know the Pope was involved? The Pope was beaten by the Stonewall and the Longstreet at the (2nd) Bull Run

Bruce Catton has sold me on the pivotal importance of Antietam. As has already been mentioned, it gave Lincoln the opportunity to issue the Emancipation Proclamation. And the issuing of the EP, according to Catton, turned the tide of public opinion in Britain against recognizing the South.

Recognition by Britain, the dominant sea power of the era, would have made a diplomatic settlement to the war almost inevitable, resulting in the perpetuation of the CSA. Without that recognition, the South was on its own against the much greater resources of the North.

I’ll think about #s 2-10; there are several battles (e.g. Vicksburg, Gettysburg, The Seven Days, Shiloh, Five Forks) that must be in there, but I’d have to think about the order, and the last few spots.

The fact that the South renamed the ship is irrelevant. The North won the war, so they get to name the battles.

The most important battle in the Civil War was probably Abraham Lincoln v. George McClellan…

Since nobody explained the reference to Picacho Peak, AZ, I’ll give it a try. The South had a lot of sympathizers in the West, and Sibley’s Texans had invaded NM in order to swing north and take the CO goldfields for the Confederacy. Battles were fought in AZ and Glorieta Pass, in NM, which saved the western states for the North. The Rebs lost bigtime at Glorieta Pass, and barely made it back to TX alive. So I would call this one of the more important battles.

1.) Gettysburg: Probably marked the turning point of the war as most historians seem to agree.
2.) Vicksburg: The North gained control of the Mississippi.
3.) Atlanta: This battle sealed the South’s fate. Catton seemed to imply the South might have pulled out a victory had Atlanta remained firm & Lincoln lost the election. But Jeff Davis had to replace Joe Johnson with Hood.
4.) Antietam. Not only did Lincoln issue the Emancipation Proclamation, but Lee might have carved up the North had his orders not been discovered.
5.) Shiloh. Brought Grant to prominence, killed Albert Sydney Johnston (a distant relative of mine if you can believe my mother) and solidified Northern gains in the West.
6.) Perryville. Ended Southern threats against Cincinnati & Louisville.
7.)Chancellorsville. One of the greatest tactical masterpieces of all time. Definitely Lee’s finest hour.
8.) New Orleans. Losing this was a major blow and probably ended any realistic hopes of England bailing out the Confederacy.
9.) Petersburg. This sealed the Confederacy’s fate.
10.) The Monitor vs. the Virginia. The battle decided little about the war’s outcome, but did mark the first use of ironclad ships, something that became immensely important in the succeeding years.

In terms of importance to modern military operations, the Battle Of Stones River near Murfreesboro TN is very significant.

It established artillery as the primary killer of infantry on the battlefield.