The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-09-2001, 09:25 AM

I just bought a can of mixed nuts from some generic manufacturer (i.e., not Planters)--the "Superior Nut Company." It's in one of those cardboard canisters with a metal base, foil-coated interior walls, metal rim, plastic cap, etc. I didn't notice anything strange until I pulled off the plastic cap, revealing the peel-off foil seal, which was bulging from internal air pressure.

I peel it off, the air wooshes out, and now I have this ordinary can of mized nuts. Should I chuck it? Was air just trapped in the canning process, and the nuts are fine?

-Hungry for mixed nuts... but too afraid to eat them.
Advertisements  
Old 10-09-2001, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I thought botulism required anaerobic conditions (although I suppose if the canister was filled with nitrogen or something, maybe that would be good enough).

more likely is that the nuts have fermented or something.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:56 AM

That's weird. Since they're not dry-roasted nuts (which are usually vacuum sealed), I'm guessing it's something other than botulism, too.
Old 10-09-2001, 09:58 AM

Better Safe Than Sorry

I'd be suspicious, personally. But, in the very least, if air (not just N2) is in the can, then the chances are the nuts will not taste as fresh as they should. Yeah, chuck it. Afterall, remember what happened to that guy who "ate it anyway" in that kid's song "Found a Peanut", right? Take a lesson from him!

Just my 2-cents' worth...
- Jinx
Old 10-09-2001, 10:59 AM
SD Curator of Critters

toadspittle, where do you live? If you live at a relatively high elevation, and the nuts were canned near sea level, that could explain it. When I lived in COlorado I noticed that potato chip bags, etc., shipped from elsewhere were often slightly inflated, presumably due to pressure differences.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Colibri
toadspittle, where do you live? If you live at a relatively high elevation, and the nuts were canned near sea level, that could explain it. When I lived in COlorado I noticed that potato chip bags, etc., shipped from elsewhere were often slightly inflated, presumably due to pressure differences.
Nope. I live in NYC. Per the label, I see that the "Superior Nut Co." is located in Cambridge, Mass., of all places.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I suggest you send them to me for sampling.

Actually, I believe they all come like that. Even nuts in a foil pack have some sort of gas in them, I assume to help keep them fresh.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:49 PM

Bacteria, even C. botulinum have a hard time growing on nuts. (Heh heh heh) It's an outside possibility, but if there is contamination, it's much more likely to be mold.
Old 10-09-2001, 06:52 PM

Keep the nuts and phone your local health department. It's unlikely to be botulism, but if there's been contamination during the packaging process, they need to know so they can recall the batch in question. They are equipped to determine whether there's any cause for concern.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeghead
Bacteria, even C. botulinum have a hard time growing on nuts. (Heh heh heh)
Well at least I know I'm safe.