So where is the Simpson's Springfield?

Ya ya I know, but its kind of fun to see how many people wonder about it.

Springfield is obviously meant to be a fictional location. It certainly is not meant to be the capital of Illinois.

But that leads to another question. Is it true that there is a Springfield in every state of the Union? If so, why? Devotion to Abraham Lincoln?

It’s a logical placename. Until recently a town had to be located near a body of water or a spring field. (an arcaic term for an aquifer).

On on episode Lisa pointed to Springfeild on a map to demonstrate to Bart how far a distance some city was. Springfeild was in the lower part of Louisiana.

Don’t be silly. Springfield’s right down the road from Shelbyville.

Springfield is “Everytown, USA.” Matt Groening is following a proud tradition of fictional locales most notably represented by “Riverdale,” the home of the characters from the Archie comics. Now if I can only find Betty’s street address…

“Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.” - Anonymous

DakotaDusk;
I’d tell you Betty’s address, but I don’t want you hanging around my house at all hours.
:slight_smile:
Peace,
mangeorge

“If you tell the truth you don’t have to remember anything” Mark Twain 1894

Springfield is supposed to be “Anytown USA,” so it’s never been made clear eactly what state, or even what part of the country it’s supposed to be in. Still, since creator Matt Groenig is from Oregon (suburbs of Portland, I THINK… but don’t hold me to that), I’m inclined to think that it’s inspired by his suburban hometown.

OJ Simpson did not use a Springfield. He used a knife.

this space for rent

The show’s creators go to great lengths NOT to specify which Springfield they mean. I remember one episode in which newscaster Kent Brockman referred to “the governor of the state Springfield is in.”

All you denizens of various Springfields who want to believe that YOUR Springfield is the one, ask yourself…was YOUR town founded by Jebediah Springfield? If not, you’re out of luck.

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

The show’s writers have had a great deal of fun not specifying where Springfield is…
I recall Apu, having decided to get his US citizenship, being tutored by Homer as to US facts and geography. Homer tries (and failed) to locate Springfield on a large map of the US. Lisa comes in and says, “No, Springfield is right here,” and as she points, Bart’s head comes into shot and obscures the whole map.

I also recall Homer’s line about the US flag: “We all know that the 13 stripes are for luck, but what about the 47 stars?”

“A friend will help you move house. A best friend will help you move a body.”–Alexi Sayle

How about the time when Marge was ordering something over the phone and had to give her address.

Marge: “That’s 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield, Oh, Hi Maude!”

Maude Flanders (just walking in):“Hi Marge!”

“For what a man had rather were true, he more readily believes” - Francis Bacon

[[On on episode Lisa pointed to Springfeild on a map to demonstrate to Bart how far a distance some city was. Springfeild was in the lower part of Louisiana.]]

I’m positive this didn’t happen, Lissa, but could you let us know which episode you saw this on? As the other posters have written, in quite a few episodes, someone comes very close to pointing out or accurately describing Springfield’s location, but something always happens to obscure the pointing finger or divert the speaker before it’s given away. This URL is the Simpsons Archives discussion about “Where is Springfield?” (and Lousiana is definitely on the “Places Springfield Isn’t” list):

http://www.snpp.com/guides/springfield.list.html

Well, it couldn’t possibly be Louisiana, it snows on the Simpsons! Maybe Missouri?

Well, it couldn’t possibly be Louisiana, it snows on the Simpsons! Maybe Missouri?]]
No – Bart and Lisa’s school was once voted the worst school in Missouri, so they moved the school to another state (where it currently sits).

I will not post on the Simpson thread.
I will not post…

(Bell)
(ChiefScott exits classroom)

Nonsense. Springfield IS in Louisiana. Witness the following clues:

In the episode where Apu is trying to get his citizenship, at one part Kerney (sp?) tries to buy alcohol and shows Apu a fake ID. As Apu looks at it, there is a brief shot of the ID. Though his thumb blocks out part of it, directly to the right of his thumb there are the letters LA, for Louisiana.

In one of the holloween specials, where Marge is discovered to have fathered Maggie with one of those cycloptic aliens and they later go on Jerry Springer (one of the more hilarious skits), there is a scene where Maggie generates a signal with her pacifier. The camera zooms outward to a whole view of the Earth, and you can see the signal originating from Louisiana.

Springfield cannot be in Louisiana – nobody in Louisiana talks with that flat accent.

I remember shows in which they have driven to New York City and Washington D.C. … so it’s probably within driving distance of both cities… somewhere in Pennsylvania or New Jersey, maybe?

“[He] beat his fist down upon the table and hurt his hand and became so
further enraged… that he beat his fist down upon the table even harder and
hurt his hand some more.” – Joseph Heller’s Catch-22

This thread reminds me of a Kubrick quote, “Anyone who say’s they understand ‘2001, A Space Odyssey’, doesn’t.”

There are plenty of clues in the show, as to Springfield’s location, and they have all been put there to stir up just this kind of silly debate.

While we’re at it, where are the following:

1. Metropolis
  2. Gotham
  3. Grand Fenwick
  4. Riverdale (I’d rather have Veronica’s address)

Which direction do you drive if you want to travel from Raleigh to Mayberry? From St. Cloud to Wobegone?