why are blunts called "L"'s

After smoking the straight dope i wondered; why is a blunt often called an L. As in “yo lets blaze an L”. Someone let me know.

Where do you live? I have never heard one called an “L” before.

From this site,

It’s Nelly’s “Ride Wit Me”, and the radio plays it all the time.

“L” was around long before Nelly’s song hit the radio. I live in Philly and that little bit o’ slang’s been around for a couple years I think. I’ve always wondered where L came from myself.

Because for a big one, you put two rolling papers at right angles, then fill and roll. Hence, it looks like the capital letter “L”.

I thought it was short for lid.

Howyadoin,
Incoming WAG…

If you’re talking about a true “blunt”, you’re using a Phillies Blunt cigar as the wrap. If you’re not using a Phillies, you are probably using an “El” Producto, no?
Maybe, maybe not… I’m not a hip-hop kinda guy, youknowwhatimsayin?

-Rav

Growing up in the southwestern U.S., I learned that people of Mexican decent called joints “leño” (not sure on spelling), apparently in reference somehow to a “little penis.” They might have been pulling my leg on the derivation, but they definitely called 'em leños. Steve Martin, in his immortal “Silver Bells,” calls his son (I assume it’s his son ;)) Leño. I don’t know if that’s related or not.

So, to finish an already too long post, maybe “L” comes from “leño.”

Ahh. So we shouldn’t be surprised at the first name of Tonight Show host Jay Leño.

I believe The_Raven is right on this one. It’s often written as “smoking an el”, and other brands of cigars that people use to roll blunts are also mentioned by name (Dutch Masters, or “dutchies”, are currently popular).

However, its all conjecture. Conjecture with a cloud of smoke pouring out the window.

Where the hell have I been? L? Blunt? What’s the matter with a good old fashion joint, boy?

You kids with your fancy-schmancy drug terms.

Flying Dragon Fan:

FYI “leño” means firewood or just plain sticks, depending on the context. They were kidding you big time!

-Fosfero

He says he assumes it’s his son, because he had had his mother so often, and in so many ways, that the odds were with him. I heard the Boy’s name as ‘Lemuel’. Leh-Muh-El with accent on the middle syllable.

A Joint made with two crossed papers we called ‘An Amsterdam Bomber’, but what do hicks from Arizona know?

http://www.rapdict.org/terms/e

False God is right, it it because of the L shape of two rolling papers put together at a staight angle I believe… but how do they do that with cigars?!

To roll a (disclaimer: non-drug containing) blunt (or an El): first, hollow out the cigar by cutting lengthwise down the side. Dump the tobacco, and keep the shell – which will be your rolling paper. Proceed as you normally would with any other rolling paper. No need for a right angle, since you can get lotsa (ahem, legal) stuff in there. Need more room, get a bigger cigar.

I 100% agree that “El” comes from El Producto, and not the right angle theory.

By the way, one big difference between good cigars and cheap cigars is that the cheap ones don’t burn out when left unattended. George Burns learned this early in his career, and that’s why he stuck to the cheap ones.

Another big difference between good cigars and cheap cigars is that cheap cigars generally taste and smell like shit, especially the wrapper, which is what you’re generally using when you are making your own tobacco products. And, since aftermarket cigar creations are generally not left unattended for any length of time, burnout is generally not a concern.

Concerned rap fans should inform their idols that “Cohiba,” “Upmann,” “Hoyo y Monterrey,” and “Padron” have great potential as rhyming words.

But, to play the devil’s advocate and as a drug question, why are the rolling papers put at an angle like that instead of just overlapping them in the same direction?