trying to look good in pink

I’m trying to find an all pink bowling shirt (no black collar or stripes), but all I can find is a white one and a red one. What is easer, dye the white one pink or bleach the red one pink? They’re a 50/50 blend of cotton and polyester.

One vote here for dyeing the white one pink. It’s too hard to control the results with bleaching the red one. Also, bleaching a red shirt doesn’t always mean you’ll end up with “pink”–you could get merely a sort of “light red”.

But, sheesh, where have you been looking, that you can’t find a pink bowling shirt? :confused: You mean just “pink without the black collar”? Just buy the pink one and put a different collar on it. Any competent “alterations” seamstress can do that.

but the trick would be trying to find the pink collar. even if i could die a white collar pink, i don’t think i’m good enough to get it the same color as the pink shirt.

You could take a shot at breeding the red one and the white one, they might produce pink offspring.

On the other hand, you could end up with a white shirt with red polka dots.
Maybe DDG’s suggestion is a better option.

I say dye the white one pink. Should work like a charm.

Well, I don’t know about dying, but the second link on a google search of “pink bowling shirt” turned up this:

http://www.tumblindice.com/design_your_own_shirt.htm

Design your own! Needless to say, I didn’t go any further in google, but there was a lot of links to “pink bowling shirt”

OH, yeah, why didn’t I think of that? :smiley: You know anybody who sews? Do you sew? Betcha a nickel there’s a Simplicity pattern for a bowling shirt. I don’t see any in their online catalog, but then they’re only featuring 32 sportswear designs online; their print catalogs have hundreds of patterns.

Or, just go down to the fabric store, get some of the same kind of fabric that the white bowling shirt is made out of. If if it’s a 50/50 cotton/polyester blend, in white, this is an extremely common fabric. Go someplace like Jo-Ann Fabrics, or even the fabric department at Wal-Mart, ask the nice lady at the counter. Buy a 1/4 yard chunk, dye it along with the bowling shirt (at the exact same time, in the same bowl or whatever).

But the easiest thing would be to buy some pink fabric and have it made into a rockin’ bowling shirt. :smiley: Wal-Mart has Simplicity pattern books in the Fabric/Crafts section, if you’re embarassed about going into a Serious Fabric Store. Jo-Ann Fabrics, and places like Hobby Lobby, also have them.

You’ll need to know your chest measurement (around your pecs/nipples–no fair flexing or inhaling), and possibly your neck-to-waistline measurement (from the big bumpy cervical vertebra right there on the back of your neck down to your pants waistline (assuming you’re not wearing your baggies down around your knees). :smiley:

You may also need to know your neck measurement–around your neck. Dunno, I never made an actual bowling shirt before.

A note from a somewhat experienced dyer…

Bleaching is unlikely to work well. First, it’s going to be very difficult to bleach out the color evenly. Also, you will probably have difficulty getting even results from shirt to shirt. My experience with bleaching is that the process continues for some time even after you neutralize with vinegar. You need to take your piece out before you think it is “done”, or you may have no color left at all.

Poly/cotton blends do not take dye nearly as well as 100% cotton. If you attempt it with your drugstore dyes (eg. RIT brand) you may be sorely disappointed. I would strongly suggest trying to find an all-cotton shirt if you are going to dye them. Then, if you want anything stronger than pastel, get some cold water dye. I use Procion.

Whenever I do laundry, the things that used to be white usually come out pink or grey. Somehow I always forget to separate BEFORE I wash it. So I say, get the white one and wash it with something red that runs. It always works for me even though I wish it didn’t.

The Great Gazoo, the link you provided me was for designing the logo, not the color of the shirt. I found that page before I posted my question. Thanks though.

Duck Duck Goose, that’s a great idea. I didn’t even think about that. Though I don’t have a sawing machine, I’m sure I can find someone who does. I might consider it.

robinh, the only experience I have had with dying is using rit to try to dye my faded ball cap back to black. Needless to say, it’s a faded purple now. I’ve never herd of a cold water dye. Any info on them. Also where could I pick up some Procion? Unfortunately the shirts only come in a 50/50 blend. Is this VERY bad for dying or just somewhat bad?