The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-19-2000, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

A friend of mine said he heard that the beloved author of Howl belonged to NAMBLA, the North American Man Boy Love Association.

Now I know that Ginsberg was gay, but I don't think he was a pedophile. Anyone know anything?

Nothing on Snopes.

Thanks

"And a singularly consistent investigation you have made, my dear Watson. I cannot at the moment recall any possible blunder which you have omitted."
-- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax
Advertisements  
Old 09-20-2000, 02:10 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

This New York Times article says
Quote:
The cause of "free speech" is one reason, Mr. Ginsberg said, that he is a member of the North American Man-Boy Love Association, which describes itself as a self-help organization for pedophiles. "It's a discussion society, not a procurement organization," he said. "I myself don't like underage boys. But they have a right to talk about the age of consent. I see it as a free speech issue, a discussion of the law."
Old 09-20-2000, 10:25 AM

Oh, please. I'm a Ginsberg fan and a gay man, but spare me.

He could have supported their right to free speech just as effectively without actually joining the organization. Probably much more effectively.
Old 09-20-2000, 11:46 AM

Personally, the thing that chaps my ass about NAMBLA is that, if it were NAMGLA, for young GIRLS, the media would be all over those guys in two seconds flat.

From what I heard, NAMBLA isn't so innocent as it sounds.
Old 09-20-2000, 12:27 PM

I'm sorry, Guinastasia, but that's about the most ludicrous thing I've heard so far today.

FIRST of all, the media IS all over NAMBLA: nobody's on their side.

[/u][/i]SECOND[/u][/i] of all, [i]Yeah, right, we all know that gays and lesbians get all the breaks.[i]

Old 09-20-2000, 12:42 PM

Sheesh, Lissener!

What I mean is, some people are defending them, and saying how they just want consentual relations between men and young, puberty age boys. This is NOT about homosexuality. When some people accuse them of pedophila, they clame the person is homophobic.

Get off your cross-somebody needs the wood.
Old 09-20-2000, 12:42 PM

He didn't look anything like the other members of the North American Marlon Brando Look Alikes. Seriously, this will probably turn into a GD or flame war but I think joining the other NAMBLA does no more for the cause of free speech than joining the KKK or other like organization.
Old 09-20-2000, 12:48 PM

Guinastasia - Lissener has a valid point. NAMBLA uses homophobia as a smokescreen which perpetuates the myth and stereotype that homosexuality = pedophelia. Using children sexually is pure freaking evil no matter what genders are involved.
Old 09-20-2000, 01:21 PM

Which is what I was trying to say. That NAMBLA uses homophobia to get people off of their backs. I was NOT insinuating that people who are homosexual are pedophiles, or that they are not persecuted against. I'm just saying that I find it sick when Pedophiles try to use homophobia as an excuse for abusing children. That's wrong. Because the MAJORITY of pedophiles, btw, are heterosexual.
I'm merely saying, it would probably be HARDER for a NAMGLA to defend itself...that's all. Homophobia is a bad thing.
However, in the past, when I criticized NAMBLA, some people flamed me and dubbed me a homophobic. Weird...
Old 09-20-2000, 05:01 PM

I think "homophobia" is thrown around so that we don't have to debate the issue. If someone disagrees with your lifestyle, just call them homophobic. I personally think homosexual behavior is wrong, but I'm not afraid of homosexuals. I don't hate homosexuals. I don't discriminate against homosexuals.

In fact, I added "sexual orientation" to the list of things my company doesn't discriminate against even though I wasn't required to by law. So although I don't agree with their behavior, I try not to treat homosexuals differently than heterosexuals. Yet, I've been called homophobic. It's just another version of flaming somebody. Pun intended.

BTW, I don't think having sex with anybody outside of a male/female marriage is appropriate.

So all of you forniecaters and homiesexuals stay the heck away from my pickup truck. LOL. OK, although I live in Texas, I really don't own a pickup truck.

One last thing. I think pedophiles ought to be locked up forever, heterosexual or homosexual.
Old 09-20-2000, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Padeye
He didn't look anything like the other members of the North American Marlon Brando Look Alikes.
ROFL.

I'm a member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals.