Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-15-2000, 10:12 PM
Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: underpants
Posts: 19,744
In this GD thread, Claudia VonL replies to everyone who complains about telemarketers by posting one of the most asinine, poorly reasoned, incompetently written messages I've ever seen on the SDMB. And yes, that includes the infamous JDT, so that's saying something. Posting a sufficiently complete response to her blather in its original forum would be a violation of Board policy -- and so, for the first time in my nearly two years as a member, I'm starting a Pit thread in order to do her message justice.

Ahem.

> Who are Telemarketers?

Clearly, we deluded souls have no idea. Please, enlighten us, O Wise One.

> As much as i can apperiate everyones dislike of telemarketing allow me this few moments of verboseness...

Fine, if you also allow me a few moments to re-read and carefully parse your statements so I can be certain I know exactly what the fuck you're talking about.

> I have worked in telemarketing and just might again.Y?

Y? Oh, right, "why." As a busy career professional, you obviously have to economize your time. Why type two extra letters? Every tenth of a second counts when you're pushing magazine subscriptions on Alzheimer's patients.

> because there is awsome money in it.

Wow, shit, who'd have thunk it? What kind of yo-yo would pass up an opportunity to elevate themselves by a few tax brackets? Just give me a second here... Okay, I've pulled the fries out of the vat and put the milkshake machine on "standby," and I'm listening with bated breath.

> The co. i worked for not only paid hourley,but also bonuses and comission.

Damn, girl, bonuses and commission, in addition to an hourly wage? You better keep it quiet, or other companies might catch on and start doing that too! I'm impressed. Please continue.

> a sale made by a salesman from a acontact by me can pay upto 75$ on a 10,000sale(not difficult in home improvement)

Seventy-five whole dollars? Amazing; I'm not sure I've ever seen that much money in one place before. Although I'd say, in your case, home improvement shouldn't be an area of concern; instead, I'd take that fat paycheck to the local community college and pursue a little English improvement, if I were you. When you progress beyond an hourly wage into a real office job, you're occasionally required to write a memo or two, and readability counts. But I digress.

> Wether I bother you during dinner hour is of no importance or significance to me whatsoever and I do not feel bad because YOU decided to answer your phone.

Ah, I see -- it's my fault you're such a cunt. The mists begin to clear, and comprehension dawns.

> You do have a phone wich implies you WANT to be called.

I have a butthole, too, but that doesn't imply I want a running jigsaw inserted into it. Oh, but hey, you've got a VCR, so clearly that implies you want me to come into your house and put on a German Scheisse video while your mother is visiting. You've got a drawer full of silverware, too, so that implies you want someone to saw on the webbing between your fingers with red-hot butter knives while someone else scoops out your eyeballs with your grapefruit spoons. Right?

> Legal calling hours for telemarketing is 9to9 in the area called.You don't want to talk to a TSR,don't answer the phone between those hour..DUH

Aside from the tragic loss of the opportunity to exchange pleasantries with such a socially graceful person as yourself, it's also possible I might miss a critically important call about the health status of my slowly dying brother. That's a much more significant aspect of my life than listening to a cunt like you tell me about overpriced light bulbs. Not answering the phone is, simply stated, not an option, and you're an idiot for suggesting it. But please, feel free to try again.

> Prime calling hours are between 5pm and 9 pm.so,lets call that a DUH

No, let's call you a sniggering, self-centered shithead with so little respect for other people's feelings that it's a wonder you haven't been beaten to death with a jack handle long before now. Ah, yes, that's a much better way of phrasing it. Moving on.

> Not all TSRs are freeloading ripoff artists.

No, some of them are sniggering, self-centered shitheads.

> Among the people I have worked with are...Mentaly retarded.Read off a piece of paper...

Small grammatical nitpick here. "Worked with" implies a separation, as if you're not a member of the group you're describing. Suggest revision prior to submission for grade.

> Mentally Ill,Would you hire a Schito for YOUR job?

Well, I guess that explains your career in the field.

> ...Physically Handicaped,Sitting at a phone...College Students and Retireees,Part time and regulation of income...General workersincluding Moms returning to the workforce...Kids with no real workhistory...

I'll remark on this in more detail after the next comment. But for now, go talk to James Watt and see what he thinks about working with two Jews and a cripple.

> drunks who can't keep a job anywhere else...

Um... Do I need to explain why this doesn't help your argument?

Actually, on second thought, based on the probable mentality of someone who could generate this staggeringly obtuse and jejune missive and offer it up as a serious bit of discourse, I will. And I'll make it short, so as not to tax your half-dozen brain cells. Ready? Okay, here we go. Concentrate now:

Why in the name of God's Throbbing Prostate would I be so witless as to give my credit card number to a whiskey-swilling lout whose cerebrum is so soaked in spirits that his career options have been reduced to telephoning random people and bullying them into the purchase of a dozen tickets to see Yanni's houseboy vomiting into a moon boot?

If you don't understand the point I'm trying to make here, don't spend too much time stirring your gray matter, because I'm moving on to something far, far more complicated. You might want to rest for a bit before you continue.

You're back? Ah, good.

> Temp workers looking for something else ETC...

I don't deny that, for many people, life stinks. I won't argue with the proposition that a segment of the population is so starved for employment that they're forced to live with whatever bitterly noxious crumbs they can pry from beneath the toenail of an uncaring world. But don't you see how your characterization of the job as a position of last resort clashes utterly with your initial assertions of deluges of cash as reward for the work? Money talks in this society, and if telemarketing were as lucrative as you claim it to be, the crush of applicants would soon push aside the temps, handicapped people, elderly, and kids you say fill the seats around you. In your frantic rush to score argumentative points against your detractors, you instead contradict yourself and flush your credibility straight down the porcelain equalizer. But then, that's to be expected from someone whose IQ is interchangeable with her hat size.

> Find a reason to R&R about telemarketers all you want but like a Principal or a Cop, it's a job to do that people Don't like you very much for doing,

Two things here. First, re-engage your brain cells -- at least, the ones that aren't still occupied visualizing Yanni's houseboy -- and consider, for a moment, your acknowledgement that People Don't Like You. All right? Now add to this bubbling stew of thought the fact that, by your own admission, you don't care at all. You don't care that you have a job that makes people hate you. The notion that what you do pisses people off brings to that collection of sludge that sits on top of your brain stem nary a quiver of concern. You have a job that disrupts people's lives and makes you, in their eyes, a sucker of syphilitic donkey cocks -- and yet you do it anyway, because the money is "awsome." Outside your tiny, pathetic skull, out here in the real world, that makes you a Grade-A flaming fruit-bat's asshole.

And then you have the temerity, the utter shameless slackwitted arrogance, to compare your vocation to that of an educational professional and an officer of the law. People in these positions provide a valuable social service in a difficult work environment, and every responsible, intelligent person whose intellectual and emotional age has progressed past the stage of earning a driver's license understands this. You, on the other hand, have apparently spent many years failing to get your head all the way inside the car before you slam the door on it.

> and as long as it WORKS companies will do it.

Hey, can't argue with you there. For the same reason, PepsiCo chews through rainforests like they're teenagers earning a few bucks mowing their neighborhood's lawns, because it works to increase their profit margin. Doesn't make it any less evil, though.

> as for getting rid of us.The "Do Not Call"usually works well.

The law says it's supposed to always work well, unless you're admitting to criminal behavior in addition to being a blithering jackass.

> But do not say anything RUDE.

Because, in your mind, it's our fault you're a cunt. Right, I remember that part.

> In our office that GOT you a return call in spades.

I know a lot of people who would like to talk to you about this. There's about fifty of them, and they all have a title similar to "Attorney General." I'd be happy to put you in touch with them, if you like.

> Most TSRs will back off if you ask the magic 8 questions.

What is your name, what is your quest, what is your favorite color? Sorry, I don't know the other five.

Actually, I suspect that you meant to say "the magic eight words," as in "Put me on your do not call list." But because your communication skills are so impaired, instead of saying something that makes sense and contributes to the discussion, you produced the above bit of cryptic nonsense. That's probably the same reason why, when you stop at Starbuck's for a cuppa, instead of giving you a latte, they punch you in the tit. You get better results when you express yourself clearly. Just a handy tip for the future. Write it down or something, okay?

> Giving the"I'll Sue" speech just has a TSR laughing at you when you hang up.

Which is completely unlike me, of course, guffawing at your piss-poor grasp of English. Oh, by the way, let's see, TSR... Toxic Shock Robot? Totally Selfish Retard? Tactless Simpleminded Redialer? The possibilities are endless. Or maybe you choose which numbers to dial by rolling 5d20. Anyway.

> So give the TSR a break

Because that would be the fair thing to do, right? Unlike you, a person who admits you don't care about pulling people away from dinner so they can hear about the wonders of space-age vinyl siding.

> and just politely hang up

The irony here is so thick, I can wrap it around my car and call it a safety cage.

> and WRITE the company calling you.

This is like shooting fish in a barrel, you know that? Listen, you dumb cunt, if written correspondence is such an effective means of communication, then WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS BULLSHIT INDUSTRY EVEN EXIST? Are you even listening to your own arguments?

> you can catch more flies with honey than vinigar

Or, if catching flies is our objective, we can all gather around you, ask you to open your mouth, and watch the filthy insects gravitate to the shit you're full of.

> And for whatever it is worth to you...Best estimates say that telemarketing will be a dead issue in 10 years.

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to be able to say this, especially after the foregoing, but here it is:

CITE PLEASE.

> If you can't wait that long...GET RID OF YOUR PHONE!!!!

(long pause)

You poor, addled cow. You seriously offered that as a solution. Either you're an idiot, which is inarguably within the realm of possibility given all of the above, or you're acknowledging by implication that what you do is so egregiously unpleasant that such an extreme lifechanging proposition is an acceptable alternative. By the same reasoning, you would counsel someone suffering from a painfully infected ingrown thumbnail to sever the affected hand with a rusty chisel. You can't take that advice yourself, of course, because then you wouldn't be able to dial your phone and continue earning your "awsome" money, but then again it's pretty obvious that consistency and logic have little if anything to do with your dumb-slut worldview.

Listen to me, you scabby-tongued cretin. Your chosen career is defensible only on the grounds of its legality. What you do with your life is up to you, but if you persist in this vocational option, and worse, if you publicly revel in it as I gather you are in your nearly incomprehensible jeremiad, you must expect that your intellectual superiors will have no choice but to hold you up as an example of the worst kind of gutter trash humanity has to offer. I do not attack your co-workers, your hapless conspirators in disruption and ill-timed inducement. I attack you, and your sneering, sickly smug self-satisfaction. Your total disdain for your impact on people's lives stands on the threshold of sadism, and is unfathomable in any person who isn't hamstrung by mental or emotional dysfunction. Until you slither back to the dark abyss that belched you up -- or until you seek psychiatric assistance -- I will denounce you and your heartless, soulless kind, yea, to my last rattling breath.

Bring it on, bitch.
  #2  
Old 12-15-2000, 10:17 PM
porcupine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: NW 'burbs of Chicago
Posts: 4,186
:claps enthusiastically:
  #3  
Old 12-15-2000, 10:20 PM
Smeghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 18,814
*Rising to my feet in a haze of stunned amazement for a standing ovation*

That was easily one of the best Pit posts in months. Bravo!!!!
__________________
"Opinions are like arms. Everybody has them, but you look like an idiot when you try to show off how strong yours are." - Miles Jupp
  #4  
Old 12-15-2000, 11:28 PM
relic_11 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign campus.
Posts: 626
Can I get an Amen, Brothers and Sisters?
AMEN!!
__________________
inor tossed me a friendly warm goopa goopa doll, and called me a floozy!
  #5  
Old 12-15-2000, 11:43 PM
Emperor Penguin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,121
Quote:
Originally posted by Cervaise
Why in the name of God's Throbbing Prostate...
Maybe it's just the beer talking, but that's the funniest thing I've read all week.

Oh man...
  #6  
Old 12-16-2000, 12:00 AM
JDeMobray is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Posts: 865
!!Bravo!! !!Brava!!

I don't work in telemarketing, I don't know anyone who works in telemarketing. I am not now, nor have I ever been a telemarketer.

But. . .

I imagine TSR stands for Telephone Sales Representative.

Anyway, you still rule.
  #7  
Old 12-16-2000, 12:06 AM
AuntiePam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 18,119
That was beautifully done. Almost too bad that it's wasted on someone who might understand only every tenth word or so.

What's really weird is comparing her posts with those of Mr2001. Different ends of the scale, in terms of communication skills, but they're peas in a pod.

Wouldn't you love to see the look on his face, reading her post?
  #8  
Old 12-16-2000, 12:10 AM
The Tim is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Okayama
Posts: 969

Addition to my sig


Quote:
I have a butthole, too, but that doesn't imply I want a running jigsaw inserted into it.
I laughed. I cried. I added it to my sig.
__________________
"Quoting yourself is a sign of extraordinary arrogance." - The Tim
My livejournal
  #9  
Old 12-16-2000, 12:21 AM
Corixidae is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally posted by Cervaise
<snip>

> You do have a phone wich implies you WANT to be called.

I have a butthole, too, but that doesn't imply I want a running jigsaw inserted into it. Oh, but hey, you've got a VCR, so clearly that implies you want me to come into your house and put on a German Scheisse video while your mother is visiting. You've got a drawer full of silverware, too, so that implies you want someone to saw on the webbing between your fingers with red-hot butter knives while someone else scoops out your eyeballs with your grapefruit spoons. Right?
Bravo!

I have a phone. I have that phone not so I can be called, but so I can make outgoing calls. Sure, I receive calls on that phone occasionally. That's not the reason I have it, however. I wouldn't care if I ever received a single incoming call -- so long as I can make one 911 call when it matters, that's my reason for having a phone.

I really am astounded by the arrogance exhibited in these posts by telemarketers who keep telling us we all have phones because we obviously want to be called and should just never answer our phones if we don't want to talk to them.
  #10  
Old 12-16-2000, 12:25 AM
Mr2001 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Spokane, WA, USA
Posts: 7,213
AuntiePam:
Quote:
What's really weird is comparing her posts with those of Mr2001. Different ends of the scale, in terms of communication skills, but they're peas in a pod.
I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted there.

Quote:
Wouldn't you love to see the look on his face, reading her post?
I am a bit chagrined. She does fit the profile of most telemarketers I know, though.. in high school or just graduated (or just dropped out), working as a telemarketer because it's decent money for relatively little work.
  #11  
Old 12-16-2000, 05:49 AM
Tansu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 2,816
Cervaise, I applaud you.

A+
  #12  
Old 12-16-2000, 06:54 AM
El_Kabong's Avatar
El_Kabong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Smack Dab in the Middle
Posts: 15,408
And for the Rant of the Year, the Winner is (sound of envelope tearing):

Cervaise!

::wild cheering, confetti flies everywhere::

And for Band Name of the Year, the Award goes to (you guessed it):

Cervaise, God's Throbbing Prostate!
  #13  
Old 12-16-2000, 09:11 AM
SanibelMan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 2,956
Quote:
And for Band Name of the Year, the Award goes to (you guessed it):

Cervaise, God's Throbbing Prostate!
I dunno, I thought Toxic Shock Robot was really good too. Either way, that was the coolest thing I've seen in a while.
  #14  
Old 12-16-2000, 09:33 AM
cjharker is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Fort Worth, TX, USA
Posts: 50

Bravo!


I'm thoroughly stunned by the sheer beauty of Cervaise's response.

::stands and offers a ten minute ovation, tears flowing freely::
  #15  
Old 12-16-2000, 09:38 AM
OpalCat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Posts: 19,294
http://fathom.org/teemingmillions/classics.html
  #16  
Old 12-16-2000, 09:58 AM
elbows is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 14,277
Hee, hee, hee....

Oh, now as rants go, this one really is inspired.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the great big smile I am having on my face.

You're my new hero.
  #17  
Old 12-16-2000, 10:09 AM
Tabithina is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chambana
Posts: 1,160
I wasted a bowl of cornflakes reading that post. I was eating when I opened this thread. I soon realized that most of my breakfast would be spit all over my keyboard as a result of laughing my ass off! So I let 'em get soggy as I read on with unholy glee.
Cervaise, that was the most exquisite rant I've ever seen. You deserve a heap of gold medals!

::wipes tears of mirth, gets new bowl of cereal::
  #18  
Old 12-16-2000, 10:16 AM
Baraqiyal is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 791
I thought the repeated cunt and tit references were a bit much, but it was a strong rant overall.
  #19  
Old 12-16-2000, 10:46 AM
Duck Duck Goose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Decatur, Illinois, USA
Posts: 14,041
Excellent rant.

In case anybody doesn't want to slog through the whole GD thread to find the Immortal Pit Provoker Post, it's on page 2. http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...2&pagenumber=2

I don't know why everybody gets so cranked up about telemarketers. You all should do what I do--the minute the first words are out of their mouths and it's clear that it is in fact a telemarketer, and not a real person, I simply say, "We're not interested, thank you," and I hang up the phone. Click. And it's wonderful to hear the frantically squawking voice coming out, on the way down to the set.

And I've taught all my children that when they answer the phone, if somebody asks for me or the Better Half by our full Christian first names, which NOBODY ever uses, that it is almost certainly a telemarketer, and if the dear sweet angels should happen to "lose" the call in between answering the phone in the dining room downstairs, and rousting Mommy out of the bathroom upstairs, it's no great loss to society. "Well, who was it?" "I dunno [childish shrug]." "Did they ask for Gwendolyn or Gwen?" If it was Gwendolyn, it wasn't somebody we know.

But the Better Half, who normally is so polite that he makes Mahatma Gandhi look like a soccer hooligan, did actually lose it a couple weeks ago and tell a TSR off. "Sunday morning?" he yelled at her in disbelief. "You call me at eleven o'clock on Sunday morning to ask me about my long-distance service?" He told her, in perfect seriousness, "You need to get another job, lady," and he hung up.
  #20  
Old 12-16-2000, 11:17 AM
McMurphy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 459
Note to self: Don't fuck with Cervaise, EVER. Don't even think about it, he may be telepathic.

Fave line
Quote:
I will denounce you and your heartless, soulless kind, yea, to my last rattling breath.
*claps enthusiastically 'til palms begin to bleed*

BRAVO!!!!!!!
  #21  
Old 12-16-2000, 11:44 AM
Jello is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 682
I bow before thee.
  #22  
Old 12-16-2000, 12:16 PM
Stoid's Avatar
Stoid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 14,881
Quote:
Originally posted by SanibelMan
Quote:
And for Band Name of the Year, the Award goes to (you guessed it):

Cervaise, God's Throbbing Prostate!
I dunno, I thought Toxic Shock Robot was really good too. Either way, that was the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

My all time favorite is Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives.

This reminded me...I put the top 12 in a list on MPSIMS.


PS: Stoidela confesses to a lifetime of telemarketing. It's a really rough gig, I gotta tell ya. Most of what I did was biz-to-biz, tho, that's not quite as evil.
  #23  
Old 12-16-2000, 12:24 PM
Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: underpants
Posts: 19,744
Glad y'all enjoyed it. It was my first, so I figured it had better be a good one.

The real test will come if the craven cow ever pokes her head in here and attempts to craft something resembling a response. I await the challenge with blades a-whirl.
  #24  
Old 12-16-2000, 07:18 PM
brachyrhynchos's Avatar
brachyrhynchos is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Heartland of New Jersey
Posts: 1,905
<<brachy prints out the OP, dons the asbestos gloves and places it by her telephone.>>

Thank you Cervaise.
  #25  
Old 12-16-2000, 08:08 PM
friedo's Avatar
friedo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 24,282
Applause!
  #26  
Old 12-16-2000, 08:48 PM
Cantrip is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: New York, New York
Posts: 318
Wow! Bravo, bravissimo!
__________________
"I happen to consiter myself Intelegent and articulate,I just hapeento have better things to waste my apitudes on than a silly post." Claudia VonL, Telemarketer
  #27  
Old 12-16-2000, 10:08 PM
aenea is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Uberwald
Posts: 1,517

Cervaise


We haven't met yet, but I wanted to drop by and add to the list of complements.

That was one hell of a finely crafted post. A tad heavy on the 'C' word, but a great pit entrance. Consider yourself no longer a pit virgin.
  #28  
Old 12-17-2000, 12:00 AM
Lynn Bodoni is offline
Creature of the Night
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 20,803
Quote:
Originally posted by Baraqiyal
I thought the repeated cunt and tit references were a bit much, but it was a strong rant overall.
I think that the repeated C&T references were put in simply so that the target might absorb SOMETHING from that rant. Small words that she might be familiar with, repeated, so that she's likely to remember them five minutes from now. Out of a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give that an 11.
  #29  
Old 12-17-2000, 10:26 AM
tevya is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Mole Queen Palace
Posts: 1,009
Originally posted by Cervaise

Quote:
and so, for the first time in my nearly two years as a member, I'm starting a Pit thread


And it has obviously been to our disadvantage. You have found your true calling.

A perfect post!
  #30  
Old 12-17-2000, 10:45 AM
cornflakes is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Bubbaville
Posts: 4,940
Quote:
I have a butthole, too, but that doesn't imply I want a running jigsaw inserted into it...
...Bring it on, bitch. [/B]
So, why wasn't this posted in GD?





Quote:
Tabithina:
I wasted a bowl of cornflakes reading that post.
Hell, I rolled a cornflakes on the floor, LMAO reading this!
  #31  
Old 12-17-2000, 11:39 AM
beagledave is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 5,590
sweet....just damn sweet

I've often been of the opinion that telemarketers eat their young....
  #32  
Old 12-17-2000, 03:06 PM
Feynn is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: It's Everything
Posts: 2,620
Cervaise - To think I almost missed this brilliant post only because I thought this rant had been said before...

This unrepentant pit whore bows to your genius...
  #33  
Old 12-17-2000, 04:13 PM
reprise is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,719
Was "Good Omens" the Terry Pratchett book which had the funny exchange about telemarketing in it? Can't locate my copy, so I can't check.

I, too, and am in awe of the OP - now if you could just step over to a couple of other Pit threads, Cervaise, and continue the demolition derby.
  #34  
Old 12-17-2000, 04:55 PM
Lexicon is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 1,365
Cervaise, you absolutely must do this more often. You haven't posted in the Pit in two years? More's the pity.

Where the hell have you been? You're a natural. That was a masterpiece, a work of art, an opus of unequivocal beauty and symmetry.

It made me laugh and pound on my desk. When my Discman skipped, I noticed tears on my cheeks. Good thing I finished my pop tarts earlier, otherwise I would have choked to death.

As is well known, I love this board. I love this forum most of all, and now I love it even more because you're here.

Don't ever go away, and please, please, pretty please, with sugar on top, let your ire rise and get your bile up to share with us in the future.

...or something.
__________________
Lately, the only thing that keeps me from being a serial killer is my distaste for manual labor.
  #35  
Old 12-17-2000, 10:22 PM
Cervaise is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: underpants
Posts: 19,744
Coupla things, for the record:

This isn't my first Pit post; it's just the first Pit thread I actually started. When I've contributed to others, I've never before risen to this level of unholy ire. See, e.g., the current "Kinkade" thread. I guess Vonda just struck a chord in a way that, so far, nobody else has. A powerful source of inspiration, it would seem, is a good thing. Now, if someone's crazy enough to push my button like Vonda did (or if she's suicidal enough to show up here), you can bet a handful of good goddamns I'll be back with another one.

And although in retrospect I may have leaned too heavily on the "cunt" epithet to characterize this clod, I bestowed, in point of fact, one and only one "tit" upon her. You could argue that makes her a fiery, bow-wielding Amazon, but I'd counter that she's really just a rather nasty bit of roadkill. Or, well, now she is, anyway.

<Warriors voice>

"Vo-o-onnnda! Come out and plaaayyy-iii-yay!"

</Warriors voice>
  #36  
Old 12-17-2000, 10:57 PM
bunnymom is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lake Jackson, Texas
Posts: 525

::throws rose petals at Cervaise's feet::


Cervaise, I would just like to stand in your shadow for a moment.

Awesome.
  #37  
Old 12-18-2000, 12:43 AM
Captain Amazing is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 25,138
First of all, good pit thread.

Secondly (And, I know, I'll probably get flamed for this), I was a telemarketer once. I was just out of college, ready to go to grad school, and just was looking for something to do over the summer, so I sold vinyl siding and windows over the phone. Actually, it's more accurate to say I tried to sell them...I don't think I actually sold any. I got fired after a few months, because I think they got tired of paying me with no return. However, in spite of that, I was one of the most senior employees when I left...the burnout rate was really high. I know I was burned out when I left. While there were some things I enjoyed, like being yelled at by an old woman who I called at 5 for calling so late when she was in bed, in general the job was like getting your tooth pulled, except it took longer. On the one hand, I sympathize with people who are bothered with telemarkers, because they bother me too. On the other hand, the person who calls you at 6 in the evening didn't really decide that it would be your house called while you were eating dinner. He or she is just some poor schlub who's trying to pick up a few bucks. The person you should be angry with is the executive who thinks that mass cold calling is the way to sell a product. I understand, though, that it's impossible to yell at them, but it's easier to yell at salesmen. Personally, though, I've found that saying either "I'm not interested" or "Put me on your do not call list" is the best, least aggrivating way to deal with telemarketers.
  #38  
Old 12-18-2000, 07:43 PM
Blackclaw is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1,389
Cervaise,

I have often been told that I have a knack for flame wars. But I always feel guilty for the mental anguish I deal out. (Well, except for that Limbaugh fan I flamed on another board.) But having read your post I realize that I am but a student and you are the master.
__________________
Let's face it, when you want to get something done, whom do you turn to? The forces of darkness, that's who.

-JuanitaTech
  #39  
Old 12-19-2000, 12:02 AM
Badtz Maru is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 5,665
I have done telemarketing before (once selling burglar alarms, two times selling tickets to charity fundraiser events) and every time I absolutely hated it, and felt very sorry for the people I had to bother. About the only way I would do it again would be if it was the only job I could get (which is pretty unlikely now that I have 5 years experience in tech support).
  #40  
Old 12-19-2000, 12:10 AM
wevets is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: hobgoblin of geographers
Posts: 4,327
Astounding. Cervaise, you are obviously a superior form of human.

I suggest we make Cervaise our leader.

I've never laughed so hard at anything else on this board.
  #41  
Old 12-19-2000, 12:52 AM
Cactus Rose is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 32
I join the crowd rising to my feet and applauding loudly!

Well done, sir!
__________________
- A rose by any other name would still have thorns -
  #42  
Old 12-19-2000, 03:12 AM
Smeghead is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 18,814
Quote:
Originally posted by Cervaise
I bestowed, in point of fact, one and only one "tit" upon her.
*Blinking* Well, there's an image. Weird dreams coming up tonight for me...
__________________
"Opinions are like arms. Everybody has them, but you look like an idiot when you try to show off how strong yours are." - Miles Jupp
  #43  
Old 12-19-2000, 12:55 PM
dropzone's Avatar
dropzone is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 29,579
It brings a tear to my eye that I am allowed to post on the same board as you. I bask in your reflected glory.
  #44  
Old 12-19-2000, 02:20 PM
RoboDude is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 1,046
--------------------------------------------------------------
On the other hand, the person who calls you at 6 in the evening didn't really decide that it would be your house called while you were eating dinner. He or she is just some poor schlub who's trying to pick up a few bucks.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Well, thay did decide to accept a job as a telemarketer. It's not like telemarketing is the only job out there that requires virtually no skill or experience.
__________________
Life is a tragedy for those who feel and a comedy for those who think.
  #45  
Old 12-19-2000, 02:53 PM
Bumbazine's Avatar
Bumbazine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Outside...looking in
Posts: 3,636
Cervaise,

I stand in awe of your mastery.

<gets in line to buy the t-shirt>
__________________
If the government grants you a monopoly, which is what a patent is, then the government should have the right, indeed the duty, to regulate the price you charge for your commodity, for the common good.
  #46  
Old 12-19-2000, 03:51 PM
Captain Amazing is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 25,138
Quote:
Originally posted by RoboDude

Well, thay did decide to accept a job as a telemarketer. It's not like telemarketing is the only job out there that requires virtually no skill or experience.
That's true, and I'm not saying telemarketers are saints. They're people, usually stuck in a job they don't like much, and without any real power. The best analogy is that of the door to door salesman, who does basically the same thing as a telemarketer, and, who is equally intrusive. In both cases, someone is approaching you with a good or service you didn't request ahead of time. However, and I could be wrong, people seem to tend to be nicer to the salesman than the telemarketer. Maybe it's because it's easier to insult or mind fuck somebody over the phone than in real life.
  #47  
Old 12-19-2000, 04:09 PM
zwaldd is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Yanni's houseboy vomiting into a moon boot
does anyone know if this show is sold out? my girlfriend's birthday is coming up...
  #48  
Old 12-19-2000, 04:11 PM
Mr. Cynical is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Streamwood, IL
Posts: 4,795
A quick search turns up 14 threads with Telemarketer in the subject. There are 182 other threads where telemarketer is mentioned.

This horse is not only dead, but the continued beatings applied to it are going to grind the skeleton into dust.

Cheers.
  #49  
Old 12-19-2000, 04:12 PM
Dogzilla is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,062
Quote:
Originally posted by relic_11
Can I get an Amen, Brothers and Sisters?
AMEN!!
Amen!

Could someone pass the potatoes, please?

Cervaise: That was extremely well written. Need a job as a copywriter? I'm hiring!
  #50  
Old 12-19-2000, 04:27 PM
Gr8Kat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Dallas, Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,560
Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Amazing


That's true, and I'm not saying telemarketers are saints. They're people, usually stuck in a job they don't like much, and without any real power. The best analogy is that of the door to door salesman, who does basically the same thing as a telemarketer, and, who is equally intrusive. In both cases, someone is approaching you with a good or service you didn't request ahead of time. However, and I could be wrong, people seem to tend to be nicer to the salesman than the telemarketer. Maybe it's because it's easier to insult or mind fuck somebody over the phone than in real life.
On the other hand, when I got sick and tired of door-to-door salesmen, all I did was print out a simple sign that said "No solicitors" and stuck it in my window. I haven't had nary a one in the 2 1/2 years since then. If there was a method to get rid of telemarketers that was equally simple, cheap, and effective, we wouldn't still be seeing these threads.

Actually, I think tonight I'll change my answering machine message to say, "You've reached the home of Joel and Katheryn Saunders. If you are a telephone solicitor or telemarketer, please put us on your do not call list. Otherwise, please leave your name and number, etc." I guess that would be the equivolant of the sign on the front of the house, but would it be effective or binding? Do telemarketers listen to telephone messages or would they simply hang-up as soon as they knew it was a machine and call back later anyway?

Finally, the thing that really, really frosts me is the autodialer. I hate answering the phone only to hear a "click" because someone else answered their phone 1/10th of a second faster than I did and got the speil instead. Not that I want the speil, but I hate getting 2 or 3 or more of these in a single afternoon. When I lived at home and this first started happening, my mom thought we were being stalked! But she talked to the phone company and they said, nope, it's autodialers calling a bunch of numbers at once and talking to the first one who answers. That's just cruel.
__________________
"I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it," Jack Handy
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017