The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-13-2001, 11:18 AM

Not only do I live next to the woods, but my neighbor loves raccoons and buys bread to feed them and also feeds the deer. It is not correct to feed wild animals, and the neighbors are nice and in any case have to be gotten along with. They don't let their big dog chase the raccoons away. 365 afternoons a year all 38 or so of them gather for the feeding next door and 365 nights a year they clamber around on my roof and uproot my garden plants, knock things over, and would destroy the fountain set up I would have if I hadn't given up on that because of them years ago. The deer eat down the expensive yews and the tulips and everything else except daffodils, and they even gnaw on junipers and of course completely denude the big juicy magnolia buds of spring, and the pussy willow pussies.... The question is,isn't there some device that I can buy or have somebody make that sends out a signal that humans can't hear but deer and racoons hate? The only thing that currently gets rid of these miserable animals is a few a week wind up as road kill. My second question is, one always hears about ecology being so balanced and wonderful: the natural enemies of a species keep it down, but this isn't working! Why don
t the raccoons and deer come down with coyotes, which I think are in the area, or with viruses that spring up and kill them off? Could it be that nature really isn't balanced at all, and is mainly a matter of vicious creatures ruining and killing everything, and it is just a matter of time? When people speak about how wonderful nature is, I want to hold up a picture of nature's ugly fatass raccoons rummaging around in a mess of garbage or lying flattened out into two dimensions in the road, or the hoof and part of a foreleg of a deer in a ditch. Signed, HELP!!! Chicago area
Advertisements  
Old 02-13-2001, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

I've seen a little raccoon dying of distemper. Does that make you feel better?
Old 02-13-2001, 12:53 PM

Here are a few web sites which might help you out:

http://www.winchester-guns.com/
http://www.ruger-firearms.com/index.html
http://www.browning.com/
http://www.mossberg.com/
Old 02-13-2001, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

Starting with your second question:

As far as 'nature being out of balance', charts of normal predator and prey populations look like two slightly out-of-sync sine waves: the first (prey) will peak and as it falls, the second (predator) will then fall.

Unfortunately, the coyotes and other large predators have likely been extirpated as 'undesirable', leaving the family dog/packs of dogs to take their place, not to mention hunters (if that is allowed in your area). Humans have caused much of the out-of-balanceness: loss of habitat crowds more animals into a smaller foraging area, and loss of normal larger predators (canines, felines, and birds of prey (for raccoons) usually means population explosions.

Viruses, diseases, rabies, distemper and parasites can run rampant through large gatherings of animals, particularly if there are a lot of feces where the animals are feeding. Unfortunately some of these can be transmitted to domestic pets and humans (there are several people undergoing rabies shots after exposure to a horse with the disease [likely got it from a raccoon, according to reports]). By feeding the animals and encouraging more into a smaller area and closer contact, your neighbors are unwittingly encouraging a possible pandemic.

As far as the first question:

There are ultra or super sonic devices for driving away rodents (these are the ones that they warn you not to use around pet hamsters). Not sure how useful they would be in your situation, but they're worth a try.

No coyotes in the area? How about their urine instead. (Note - don't get this on yourself.) Use it sparingly around the flowerbeds and shrubs (not on, though), and reapply after rain. Nothing like advertising a potential threat to the deer and raccoon. One scent of a preator and they will avoid the area.

Can you put up some sort of fence or large hedge to keep the critters out of your yard?

Can you wrap the trees? Use either a steel collar around the tasty bark or large netting over the beds.

Have you contacted your local Cooperative Extension office? Perhaps they may have some other suggestions to keep the critters out of your flowerbeds.

Worse comes to worse, check your local laws and (if applicable) homeowners association contracts. Several of the new subdivisions in the area have regulations on bird and animal feeding (there are a couple of places where groups of peacocks have settled in and the neighbors are very divided over the issue of feeding or non-feeding).

This may also be a possible health hazard, given the potential threat of disease and automobile accidents. Keep the number of the health department nearby, especially if you notice one of them acting odd (the animals).

The biggest obstacle is to get your neighbor to stop feeding the animals. S/he is not feeding them anything healthy (bread is not a nutitional food for them), s/he has a possible outbreak just waiting, and s/e is training them to expect a handout.

We feed animals only to bring them closer to us. They've survived well before we came along.

Now before anyone jumps on me for not being an animal lover - I am. I work for a large nationwide consevation organization; I get calls daily and on my voice mail about sick and injured animals, and nuisance animals (especially when someone moves and the critters are still walking up to the back door expecting to be fed, then getting aggressive and nasty when there is no food forthcoming from the new people who live there).

I just got off the phone with a person with an injured raccoon - it was fighting with another raccoon over some dogfood left on the back porch for the raccoons, and the loser was pretty badly chewed up. Now this happens in nature all the time, but feeding and leaving food out for them just encourages the competition. From the description of his injuries, this little guy will probably no longer be in the gene pool. He may have lost his life at any time, but why hasten the process.
Old 02-13-2001, 02:11 PM

There are products you can buy to keep dogs and cats out of your flowers. I see no reason these won't work on coons. I believe I have seen some to keep deer out of gardens.
Your first step though would be to talk to your neighbor. Be blunt. They are cute but an occasional visit is all you want. And tell your neighbors of your upcoming efforts to keep the wildlife away.
Old 02-13-2001, 07:57 PM

I keep raccoons away with a small, neat sign outside my house saying, "Raccoons, please go away."

"But there are no raccoons in your home city of Sydney, Australia!", I hear you say.

"Exactly", I reply, "My sign is working".
Old 02-13-2001, 08:12 PM

Screech-owl is right on time with her asessment. I'll offer this additional hint. If you're in an area that allows for it, ummm, mark your territory. Yep, what I'm saying is to go out and piss your boundaries. This worked for me. Mr. Elelle and all other male visitors(yeah, we were in a fine hickfest), were encouraged to piss outside. It really did help!
Old 02-13-2001, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I have noticed fewer of them since my Wife and her dogs moved in.
Old 02-13-2001, 08:29 PM
BANNED

I used to work in a Hotel In Florida. It was on it's own island and we had wilderness around us.

Raccoons were the number one problem. How to rid them? We got a big tough cat. She was pretty good at adopting the hotel as her turf. But the guests kept feeding them so despite the risks they came back.

Where there is food the raccoons will come. Hosing them just scares them for the moment they will come back with their hands and they even lift up garbage can lids.

They are tough but if you don't feed them they will leave.
Old 02-13-2001, 09:03 PM

Don, you say you live next to the woods. Is it a park? If not just contact a trapper or some places have animal removal experts. Back when I was trapping I'd have had a permanent grin if someone had a bunch of raccoons to remove and asked me to do it.
Old 02-14-2001, 01:03 AM

I agree with screech-owl. Go to a sporting-goods store (the kind that sells guns, or at least archery equipment) and buy some preditor urine (any kind). Sprinkle this in any area that you don't want racoons/wildlife. Reapply bi-monthly.
Old 02-14-2001, 05:26 PM

How can I keep raccoons away?

a)Emigrate to a country that doesn't have them.
b)Have my wife sing to them
c)Be careful you may come back as one in a future life
Old 02-14-2001, 05:56 PM
BANNED

Heh. Are you in Pacific Grove don? That's what its like here in PG.

Eventually the chief of police got fed up with it & trapped a bunch on his own property & then got them gassed, which upset a lot of people.

50% of the yards in PG have raccoon roundworm, a rather nasty parasite. You might look that up & tell your neighbors about it & hopefully it'll discourage them because there isn't much more that you can do.

Plus the deer thing happens here too, wow, you must be nearby.
Old 02-14-2001, 06:23 PM

- - - The problem with using predator urine [esp. fox] is that it smells, and not a little, and getting a cat or dog yourself is just more trouble for you. Check with your local animal control dept: explain the situation, and see what they say. What your neighbors are doing may be illegal for more than one reason.
- To prevent deer, you have to erect a fence at least eight feet high, and it has to be a visible fence, else they may just go crashing through it at night and you'll find the mess+entangled deer in the morning. - MC
Old 02-15-2001, 11:00 AM
BANNED

You can get some lion urine at the zoo & use that. I'd sure like to see the expression on the deer's face when it gets a wiff of that.
Old 02-15-2001, 11:55 AM

Don:

Is your yard dark? Quiet? How much space between your house and the neighbors?

I'd go with the urine idea, first. And I know I've seen deer repelant, although I can't think of a brand name. You might want to check Farmer's co-ops, or supply stores. Up here in Wisconsin we have Farm and Fleet or Fleet Farm Stores. Dreat places to go for deep suburban or rural pest problems.

Another idea is a motion sensitive light near your garbage cans. Or possibly an audible alarm. Maybe radio shack can help you there. If your neighbors are close, annoying lights flashing and alarms going off everytime Rocky and Ricky come to your house for supper, might convince them that the racoons don't need feeding.

After the other night, when I looked out on my front porch to see a midsize racoon sitting between my two cats and waitng to be let in, I wouldn't put much faith in feline protection.
Old 02-15-2001, 12:26 PM

You might try this site

Landmines.com
Old 02-15-2001, 02:53 PM

The urine sounds like a good idea???
As a one time trapper I can tell you that coyote urine does not worry a coon. Maybe deer but a coon is a pretty tough hombre and he knows it.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:15 PM

If memory serves, moth balls will keep 'coons away. Skunks for sure, I don't guarantee raccoons, but worth a try or some further investigation.

[Insert obligatory "I didn't even know they had balls!" joke here.]
Old 02-15-2001, 04:41 PM

I once read somewhere....

...That (and I'm not debating the urine theory...it'd keep ME away) either the fur from a predator or some fecal matter would work on raccoons. According to what I read (and I can't remember where), you should be able to get either from the local zoo. Or you could invest in a gun, and shoot the lil bastards.
Old 02-15-2001, 04:54 PM
BANNED

Invite me and my gun tote'en buddies over for a weekend and before we leave ya'll will all look like Davy Crockrett wanna be's.
Old 02-15-2001, 05:48 PM
BANNED

Wildest Bill, city ordnances don't allow hunting of raccon or deer here, probably the same for the OP's.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:46 PM

Critters are kinda down to earth if you get my gist.
They don't believe in monsters so they would need some kind of contact with the predator before it occurs to them to be afraid. Not likely with a zoo creature.
Jeeze guys Davy Crockett or Danl Boone you ain't.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:25 PM

BTW Wondering why you are seeing raccoons now, In February?

It's mating season.

That boar is visiting all the ladies he knows.
Old 02-16-2001, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildest Bill
Invite me and my gun tote'en buddies over for a weekend and before we leave ya'll will all look like Davy Crockrett wanna be's.
GET A CROSS BOW!!! NICE AND quiet!!
Old 02-16-2001, 09:54 AM
BANNED

Strange thing in my city, it's not illegal to run into a deer or raccoon with your car but you can't hunt them.
Old 02-16-2001, 12:56 PM

Heh. You need to get yourself a pack of them thar coonhounds, boy.

Seriously, raccoons are nasty creatures that breed like rabbits. It annoys me when people try to protect them "because they're cute."
Old 02-16-2001, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Markxxx
Hosing them just scares them for the moment they will come back with their hands and they even lift up garbage can lids.
<hayseed yokel voice>

"Them varmits still messin in the trash pile?"

"Yeah Paw."

"Well, boy, since your Maw and your sister ain't around, I reckon we should grab the Astroglide and go HOSE THEM COONS!!!"

"YEEEE-HAAAW!!!"

</hayseed yokel voice>

Sorry.
Old 02-16-2001, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Define "astroglide".

I'm waiting for someone to mention playing transistor radios.
I'd be afraid that the coons would:
1) Tune the radios to a station they like (probably CW) and crank it up.
2) Toss my radio into the creek.
or
3) Take the radios apart, learn how transistors work, understand ICs work, then computers and take over the world.

Anyway, they are just trying to make a living, as are we all.
Old 02-16-2001, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elelle
Screech-owl is right on time with her asessment. I'll offer this additional hint. If you're in an area that allows for it, ummm, mark your territory. Yep, what I'm saying is to go out and piss your boundaries. This worked for me. Mr. Elelle and all other male visitors(yeah, we were in a fine hickfest), were encouraged to piss outside. It really did help!
You didn't get this idea from Spider Robinson, did you?
Old 02-17-2001, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions

I live about 20?miles south of Chicago's Loop in an unincorporated area between two south suburbs and right next to a large? forest which had to be saved from people who wanted to make strip malls and even more ugly "homes" out of it.
Thus raccoons and deer lying about on the scenic road every morning, the deer in pieces, and you have to watch out for their severed hoofs if you run along the road. Raccoons are out in force every day of the year in the afternoon until dawn. In Chicago itself if you happen to be walking home (if you have a place up there too as I did for awhile) from a night out with friends at 2 AM, you can hear raccoon claws going up and down the treetrunks (Chicago has a lot of trees in it). They never go away. Some of them die in your shed or under your windows and bloat up, and you have to pry them loose from frozen ground or something and get them tossed in the woods.
I myself never harm them, although I have tried sprinkling pepper around, which has no effect. Any kind of ornamental fountain or pond people have is completely destroyed every night. A friend bought a sound emitting box that was supposed to keep pests away and it had no effect at all. He had some success with a device that sprayed water on them if they approached, but not much. They dig up bulbs and uproot lilies and the deer eat the tops off all flowers and plants except for daffodils. My second cousin in another state shoots them from her porch, but I don't have anything to do with guns and am much too squeamish or whatever it takes to kill anything except worms and bugs.
Coyote urine was tried by my mentioned friend and had no effect. My neighbor wouldn't believe it if I told her anything about a raccoon parasite. As for my local animal control people, I have a feeling there A)is no such thing and B)if there were they would be like that guy on GREEN ACRES who was the county agent and was always wondering where he was when he would come over. Also, I wouldn
t want urine on my roof, which is what I worry about most.
Still I would rather live where I do than someplace else, because at least I have only one neighbor and they MAKE NO NOISE. Have you any idea of how great that is? No loud music, no parties, no barking dog, just amusing cats that come over and visit me. They eye the raccoons, who keep away from them. This area used to be farms, and the country people kept the vermin down the way you are supposed to.
The newspaper recently reported that a whole bunch of rabid raccoons were on the way, and should arrive in the area in two years. It didn't say why they weren't trying to dispose of them before they arrived in Chicago. I know people who have put large amounts of washday chlorine in their ponds, having given up on the idea of keeping fish in them, which are just fished for and eaten by raccoons. It turns out raccoons are not discouraged by chlorine either.
There are no vermin repellants that work. One of them, that costs about 14 bucks for a few ounces, has pictures of dogs, cats, squirrels, and raccoons crossed out on it, IMPLYING that it will discourage these. But on the directions where it lists the animals that it will discourage, NO RACCOONS ARE LISTED. The deer repellent, equally expensive, has no effect on deer or anything else.
As I mentioned before, the raccoons whistle, gurgle, scream, screech, rustle, and stomp (on the roof) all night, fighting with each other over scraps of food, and each one of them weighs at least 70 pounds.
Old 02-17-2001, 07:05 PM

WOW A 70 pound raccoon.
The largest I ever caught was a 35 pounder. A big sow.
They are going to have to do something about populations soon. Rabies is a big concern. That is part of the natural population control.
You are a good example of what happens if trapping is not used to control wildlife.
The price of fur is down so that a trapper connot make money so why try? Back in the 70s a big prime coon could bring as much as $50.00. Now you use a trap which sells for as much as $12.00 ,live traps cost a lot more,to catch a coon thats worth little or nothing ,and hope someone does not steal your trap.
Old 02-17-2001, 11:37 PM

Having dealt with raccons raiding a large vegetable patch in my youth I can assure you there is no truly effective, humane way to discourage raccoons short of dogs or exceptionally tough cats. Urine based repellents and ultrasonic devices will not work. They must be killed or trapped and removed.
Old 02-18-2001, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by astro
discourage raccoons short of dogs
I didn't see any this year even during the ice storm when would think they would be lookng for food. This is due to the dogs just being here (they are fenced and didn't kill any coons) or the distemper virus killing thim off this Spring.
Old 02-18-2001, 08:37 PM

The March issue of Consumer Reports reviews Contech Electronics' "Scarecrow." It's basically a sprinkler with a motion sensor, and CR says it works. If you wanted to keep raccoons off of your roof, you'd have to find a way to secure this at one corner. And of course, it can't be used in freezing weather.

Contech's website is http://www.scatmat.com.
Old 02-18-2001, 11:06 PM

Carniverousplant.
Raccoons are related to bears. They den up in bad weather,sort of a semi hibernation. Around here you usually don't see them from around late december until mid february,mating time,and then until it warms up,mid to late march. The exception to the above is very warm weather.
I haven't gone looking but there are probably 4 or 5 in our two hay mows right now.
BTW I hit one a couple of nights ago with my pick up. He must have had suicide or sex on his mind because I did everything except drive off the road to miss him.
Old 02-18-2001, 11:22 PM

The next time the circus comes to town (or if you have a decent sized zoo around) you can get lion and tiger droppings. Turn the manure into the soil around your house, and your pest problems will be gone. Even though lions and tigers are not natural predators of racoons and deer, the pests seem to know not to mess around in the area.

It works for about a year... just in time for the next visit of the circus.
Old 02-19-2001, 09:07 AM
BANNED

"The next time the circus comes to town (or if you have a decent sized zoo around) you can get
lion and tiger droppings"

How nice, what happens if some mountain lion gets a whiff & pays ya a visit? :-)

Seriously, if they are feeding coons & its against city ordnances (check at your library) to do so, a call to your local CITY animal control people can get that changed.
Old 02-21-2001, 02:03 AM

There's a product for keeping dogs and cats away that also works on raccoons and deer, etc. It's at most big pet stores, comes in a wax carton (the kind like a quart of milk), and contains bone meal dust. Not really a bad odor to humans, just sort of makes you sneeze when you spread it out.