Old 01-10-2018, 01:03 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

chacoguy has passed

It has been reported on giraffeboards that SDMB user chacoguy has passed.

I have been unable to confirm his passing, but if we get more information I will update this thread and the thread title.
Edit: This has been confirmed in the newspaper article referenced in post #2 of this thread.

Also according to the folks over at giraffeboards, a gofundme has been set up (by his daughter?) to raise money for his final expenses.
https://www.gofundme.com/j5q4u-my-dads-final-expenses

The giraffeboards thread where this was reported is here:
http://www.giraffeboards.com/showthread.php?t=45509

My condolences to his family and to those who were close to him.

Last edited by engineer_comp_geek; 01-10-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:17 PM

There is also this newspaper article.

RIP dude.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Very sad to hear this.

RIP.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Very sorry to hear this; best wishes to his family and loved ones if they read this thread.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Condolences to all who knew him and loved him.
RIP, chacoguy. You were one of the good.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Anyone know how old he was?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
If his profile is accurate, he was 54.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:02 PM

so, too damned young
Old 01-10-2018, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Aw, hell. We had a little discussion in a thread about Chaco Canyon, which he was intimately familiar with.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:39 PM

I almost never post in these condolences threads, but I liked that guy.

And what I do not like is people who are younger than me dying. But that seems to be trending up.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:22 PM

Very sorry to hear this.
RIP
Old 01-10-2018, 04:42 PM

RIP Tom; you were a good guy.

Last edited by Snowboarder Bo; 01-10-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:57 PM

Oh no. That is terrible. It sounds like carbon monoxide is one cause being examined, because the dog also died.

ECG thank you for passing the word.

My condolences to the family.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer_comp_geek View Post
If his profile is accurate, he was 54.
Same age as me.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

I am shocked!

. . . and I am devastated. I consider Tom one of my greatest friends, and had a great dinner with him last Spring up in Durango. He isn't that far up the road from me. Never short on generosity and warmth, you could always tell when he entered a room; between his booming voice, commanding presence, and the fact the temperature dropped in the room because he was the coolest guy to be around. I'd had several trips with Tom. The first was the big ol' Green River Trip in 2011 where several of us floated down the Green River to Canyonlands NP, and almost died in a thunderstorm. SmartAleq, KidVermicious, and a few others all had an adventure-filled trip with fantastic memories of lunch on the river, and ice cream at the pull-out.

The second trip with him was to Chaco NP, where he guided me through all of the ruins, and we spent a laughter-filled couple of nights around a campfire, at a strategic spot in the campgrounds that when sunset hit, washed the entire gulch in beautiful red hues and his hearty laughter. The man knows his Earth. The third was down the Colorado just outside of Moab where we took out the boats for a "early-season test drive," and when camping that night, came across this gigantic "hippie rave" on the far side of the river (inside NP boundaries) with a sound stage, music, and about 150 young kids taking a break from college. Tom's buoyant, extroverted nature fit him right in with everyone there. Later that same trip, we went to see some tucked-away petroglyphs that few knew about just off of I-70.

The man is a true National Treasure, historian, conservationist, and naturalist. He had stories about Native American sites that very few knew about, including a sandal left on a mesa for 1,500 years that he admitted, "Trip, I'll take you there . . . because you appreciate things and are not an asshole." As a former Infantryman in the Nebraska National Guard, the stories he'd tell of trips and adventures could keep you enthralled for hours around those campfires, and they may or may not have included some nefarious activities at collegiate football games. Brother, the statute of limitations is up . . . The man is more than a guide, he's a walking encylopedia of terrain, legends, stories, and artifacts.

I had the privilege to have dinner with him up in Durango last year over enchiladas and margaritas. There is no exagerating when I tell you that his voice and roaring belly laugh had other patrons of the restaurant continually glaring at us--but to hell with them! If they only knew the man they were dealing with, they'd be pulling up chairs around our table to hear his tales.

I don't consider him "gone," but just down the river past the bend a little bit. In due time, we'll all float down to see him beached on a sandbar with Chaco and Kiva scampering around, just waiting for us to catch up. I am honored to have been a companion on a few of his adventures. I owe the man my life, not because he saved it, but because he enriched it that much.

Tripler
May your rivers be long and winding, my friend. I'll see you downstream.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:11 PM

Tripler, thank you so much for sharing.

Chaco Guy, RIP.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

That was an awesome tribute, Tripler.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 PM

Tripler, I did not know chacoguy, but your tribute post makes me wish I had. He sounds like a hell of a guy. I am glad you had the chance to know him well, and those of us who didn't are able to know him a little through your beautiful, moving post. Let's note that the friends he chose speak very highly of him as a human being.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:37 PM

Wow, Tripler. Great tribute.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:46 PM

Goodnight, chacoguy. I'm sorry I never got to meet you the way Tripler did. Condolences to his friends and family.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

R.I.P. [b]Chaco.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:38 AM

He last posted here on the 21st.

RIP, chacoguy. He seemed like a very interesting person.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:39 AM

I only knew him from this board, but I liked him.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daze View Post
Oh no. That is terrible. It sounds like carbon monoxide is one cause being examined, because the dog also died.
It's also possible the dog could have died from thirst--as it was several days between when he was last heard from and when his body was found--as many people keep only a fairly limited amount of water in their dog's drinking container.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:27 AM

I'm embarrased to say that I'm not familiar with him.

But, nonetheless RIP fellow doper.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 AM

I don't think Kiva (the dog) died of thirst because Chacoguy was the kind of guy who left the seat up, just sayin'. After the monumental Green River trip with the aforementioned killer thunderstorm I stayed at his house in Moab and got the news that my cat would have to be put down, he and I talked and ate a lot of food and it helped me to start my grieving process.

The next year we met up for another trip, this time down the Colorado and in the intervening year I'd decided based on my previous trip with Tom that kayaking was something I wanted to have in my life on a permanent basis so that time I had my own boat to navigate the rapids in. My cover photo on Facebook was taken by one of Tom's tame photographers who'd wait at various rapids to take shots of his rafters as they came by and I don't think I've ever seen a picture of me that more perfectly encapsulates the person I think I am.

He was a Hemingwayesque person, bigger than life and twice as loud, with an insatiable gusto for life and everything it had to offer. I'm kind of bummed that the last time I spoke with him was when he accidentally drunk dialled me late one night a few months ago--it took me a while to get it through to him who he was talking to, and after we hung up I was sitting there grinning because it was such a random thing to have happened.

I'm really going to miss that guy and I feel privileged to have known him. I hope he and Kiva have already found Chaco and are off on some epic adventure.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:42 AM

Quite a shock. He was very knowledgeable, especially about the Southwest (an area that interests me since I live here). His posts were interesting and apparently he was just an all-around great guy.

RIP chacoguy.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:50 AM
"Superstar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Tripler, thank you so much for sharing.

Chaco Guy, RIP.

Yes, Tripler, that was a wonderful memorial. He will be missed.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear this. What a sad start to the new year.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:26 AM

Such sad news, but a wonderful tribute from Tripler
Old 01-11-2018, 09:29 AM

Condolences to Chaco's friends and family.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 AM

So sorry to hear. RIP chacoguy.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:05 PM

First, my condolences.

Second, the observation that a man who seemed very well-liked to the extent he had real life friends from message boards, was a local business owner, and very active in a variety of pursuits... went 2 weeks without being seen before someone checked on him? When I go I'm assuming no one will find me until the stench becomes too much.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 PM

That's a hell of a eulogy Tripler. My condolences to you and SmartAleq, and all who knew him.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 PM

How sad. While we didn't interact much on this board, he was a good poster on the 'Raffe. RIP Chaco.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 PM

What you all said & of course Tripler said it for all of us in the best possible way.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:40 PM

RIP chacoguy.

SYOTR.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Damn, this sucks. He was a very familiar contributor across the boards. RIP indeed.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:11 PM

The gofundme effort mentioned in the OP is halfway to its goal of $3,000. Just sayin'.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Last edited by Dolores Reborn; 01-11-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
First, my condolences.

Second, the observation that a man who seemed very well-liked to the extent he had real life friends from message boards, was a local business owner, and very active in a variety of pursuits... went 2 weeks without being seen before someone checked on him? When I go I'm assuming no one will find me until the stench becomes too much.
Since it sounds like he lived an adventurous lifestyle, I would guess people probably just thought that he was away from home and didn't realize it was a sign something wasn't right when they didn't hear from him. So sad that this happened at the holidays though. He sounds like a good person and I am sorry that he and his pup are not with us anymore.

If you are in fact in a situation where you are worried that nobody would find you if something happened to you, maybe you can identify someone on this board who you can check in with occasionally!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:56 AM
Elephant Whisperer

RIP, chacoguy.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Oh, this is such sad news!

Tripler, you wrote a beautiful testament to a life well lived. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Somehow this came to mind:

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Condolences to his family and all those who grieve.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Thank you all, but please don't thank me . . . thank Tom for being so generous to share everything he has and knows with us. We're all better for having met him.

Tripler
Some angels don't have wings--they have catarafts.

Last edited by Tripler; 01-12-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

I know the name; sadly, I did not know the person. I'm grateful to Tripler and SmartAleq for giving us all a good sense of who chacoguy was, and very sorry he is gone.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Thank you all, but please don't thank me . . . thank Tom for being so generous to share everything he has and knows with us. We're all better for having met him.

Tripler
Some angels don't have wings--they have catarafts.
We're thanking you for allowing us a view of chaco that few of us had.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM

Yes, thank you for showing us who chacoguy was for those of us who didn't know him. We missed knowing an incredible person, obviously. My sincere condolences to all who are hurting.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
I am shocked!

. . . and I am devastated. I consider Tom one of my greatest friends, and had a great dinner with him last Spring up in Durango. He isn't that far up the road from me. Never short on generosity and warmth, you could always tell when he entered a room; between his booming voice, commanding presence, and the fact the temperature dropped in the room because he was the coolest guy to be around. I'd had several trips with Tom. The first was the big ol' Green River Trip in 2011 where several of us floated down the Green River to Canyonlands NP, and almost died in a thunderstorm. SmartAleq, KidVermicious, and a few others all had an adventure-filled trip with fantastic memories of lunch on the river, and ice cream at the pull-out.

The second trip with him was to Chaco NP, where he guided me through all of the ruins, and we spent a laughter-filled couple of nights around a campfire, at a strategic spot in the campgrounds that when sunset hit, washed the entire gulch in beautiful red hues and his hearty laughter. The man knows his Earth. The third was down the Colorado just outside of Moab where we took out the boats for a "early-season test drive," and when camping that night, came across this gigantic "hippie rave" on the far side of the river (inside NP boundaries) with a sound stage, music, and about 150 young kids taking a break from college. Tom's buoyant, extroverted nature fit him right in with everyone there. Later that same trip, we went to see some tucked-away petroglyphs that few knew about just off of I-70.

The man is a true National Treasure, historian, conservationist, and naturalist. He had stories about Native American sites that very few knew about, including a sandal left on a mesa for 1,500 years that he admitted, "Trip, I'll take you there . . . because you appreciate things and are not an asshole." As a former Infantryman in the Nebraska National Guard, the stories he'd tell of trips and adventures could keep you enthralled for hours around those campfires, and they may or may not have included some nefarious activities at collegiate football games. Brother, the statute of limitations is up . . . The man is more than a guide, he's a walking encylopedia of terrain, legends, stories, and artifacts.

I had the privilege to have dinner with him up in Durango last year over enchiladas and margaritas. There is no exagerating when I tell you that his voice and roaring belly laugh had other patrons of the restaurant continually glaring at us--but to hell with them! If they only knew the man they were dealing with, they'd be pulling up chairs around our table to hear his tales.

I don't consider him "gone," but just down the river past the bend a little bit. In due time, we'll all float down to see him beached on a sandbar with Chaco and Kiva scampering around, just waiting for us to catch up. I am honored to have been a companion on a few of his adventures. I owe the man my life, not because he saved it, but because he enriched it that much.

Tripler
May your rivers be long and winding, my friend. I'll see you downstream.
This is an amazing tribute. I did not know the guy, but now I feel like I do. Thank you for shedding insight into the anonymity.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:17 PM

On the second trip I took with Tom, down the Colorado into Moab, we spent the last night on a beach across the river from a super spendy elite resort. We didn't bother with tents, just set up our stuff on the beach and after three days on the river we were ripe and grubby AF. Best part about the resort is that they furnish high speed broadband and wifi access to their guests and had no password on the account, so we dirty hippie scruffs on the beach pulled out phones, tablets and a laptop and posted to the Giraffe Board right there from on the river. We got a leetle drunk and a lot high and laughed our asses off at how we were probably putting some rich people's noses out of joint by spoiling their nice view. I slept that night with the head of my air mattress under a big tangle of dry brush with little brown bats circling endlessly a few feet above my head, eating the mosquito buffet that had gathered around to feast on my blood. I got not one single bite, the bats did their job so well, and I felt like such a part of nature right down to my bones.

I don't think I'd have ever made it out to those dry desert lands without Tom showing the way--he just posted an open invitation to anyone on the boards to show up and he'd make sure everyone had a place in a boat and an experienced guide to herd them through the rapids. All I had to do was make up my mind to drive a thousand miles to meet up and his boundless enthusiasm and generosity made it happen. He went to all that trouble and expense just to meet online friends IRL, and you just don't see that kind of spirit all too often. I had really hoped to get him to come here to Oregon to try some of our rivers on for size, but alas, it's not ever going to happen and that makes me sad.

Last edited by SmartAleq; 01-12-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

More sad news. I enjoyed his posts and never realized how much he had affected other Dopers.

Rest well chacoguy.