Old 01-10-2018, 01:15 PM

TV shows you hated as a child

I will start

I disliked Blue peter as a child and still do.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM

I am embarrassed to say I hated Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.

But then again, I was slightly too old for it (around 8-12) and my baby sister wanted to see it after we watched Sesame Street. And YES, I was still watching Sesame Street when I was 12, don't judge me. It was cool.

But when Fred Rogers came on right after, I would kick the side of the TV I hated him so much. Not sure why he irritated me so much, but that show put me in foul mood every time. I was more a Captain Kangaroo kinda kid during my preschool years.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:24 PM

When I was a kid, the farm report was on Saturday mornings, taking up valuable time that should have been used for more cartoons.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:27 PM

Even as a small child I could tell that a great majority of the animated shows Hanna-Barbera produced were garbage. Granted, this was the early 80s and pretty much everything from the late 60s up to that point, old or new alike, was cheaply produced garbage.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:28 PM

Hee Haw. It was on just before the Muppet Show, and my parents would watch it while I waited for the Muppets to come on. I can't stand most country music and the kind of hillbilly/hick humor that I seem to remember being a big part of that show.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:29 PM

Soap Operas

Westerns

ALL Soap Operas and ALL Westerns
After he finished his work on conditioning dogs, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov ambitiously tried his theories on angels, eventually training a flock of them to go and get their wings from a rack when signaled with a bell.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoorex View Post
Hee Haw. It was on just before the Muppet Show, and my parents would watch it while I waited for the Muppets to come on. I can't stand most country music and the kind of hillbilly/hick humor that I seem to remember being a big part of that show.
It ran for an obscenely long time, too:

Quote:
Hee Haw was an American television variety show featuring country music and humor with the fictional rural "Kornfield Kounty" as a backdrop. It aired on CBS from 1969 to 1971, in syndication from 1971 to 1993, and on TNN from 1996 to 1997 .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hee_Haw
After he finished his work on conditioning dogs, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov ambitiously tried his theories on angels, eventually training a flock of them to go and get their wings from a rack when signaled with a bell.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 PM

Three's Company. I haven't watched it since.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:50 PM

Rasslin'.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

The Pink Panther cartoons. Boring!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:09 PM

The Lawrence Welk show, which my parents inexplicably insisted on watching every damn week for years. Just sitting here thinking about it makes me want to kill myself from boredom.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:10 PM

Three Stooges. My brother was a fan. I wasn't. It just looked like it hurt.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:16 PM

I hated Top Cat. I think I tried watching it because it looked like it would be as funny as The Flintstones. But I hated it, and I can't remember why.

That is, I couldn't remember until I recently brought up an episode on DailyMotion just to see what it was that I didn't like. It's because it was boring and pointless and relied on a kind of "Sergeant Bilko" humor that went way over my head when I was a kid.

That doesn't mean I can't remember and sing the theme song today!
Old 01-10-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
When I was a kid, the farm report was on Saturday mornings, taking up valuable time that should have been used for more cartoons.
In the early 1970s, when I was a kid, living in suburban Chicago, I'd be the first one up in the household in the morning. On weekday mornings, WGN had a kid's show, "Ray Rayner and Friends," which ran at 7am (i.e., prime time for watching some cartoons before heading to school). But, before Ray's show, WGN ran "Top o' the Morning," a farm news show, hosted by Orion Samuelson. At that time, TV stations signed off during the overnight hours, and Orion's show was the only thing running on any Chicago station before 7am. So, as I was often up before 7, I'd wind up watching the farm news, because there was literally nothing else on TV at that time.

Many years later, I had the chance to meet Mr. Samuelson, as part of my job. I mentioned to him the above story, and he laughed, saying, "You can't imagine how many people your age tell me that they used to watch me impatiently, waiting for cartoons to come on."

Last edited by kenobi 65; 01-10-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Actually, I kinda liked these. In the New York area they bundled up a bunch of old USDA educational and instructional videos and called it "The Modern Farmer". So I learned about rotary feeders and sorghum silage. It beat the heck out of the "Sermonette" that preceded it.

As a kid, I'd watch anything. Sermonette, with its bland voiceover and endless shots of waves crashing on beaches, was still better than watching the test Pattern, with its boring score ("OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO")

After The Modern Farmer, you got to see those ads for the circle Line Boat Tours that took you up the Hudson River from New York City to West Point and Bear Mountain! Yum!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:23 PM

The Brady Bunch. I still hate The Brady Bunch. I wished for a Brady Bunch Meets The Manson Family spinoff movie.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
At that time, TV stations signed off during the overnight hours, and Orion's show was the only thing running on any Chicago station before 7am. So, as I was often up before 7, I'd wind up watching the farm news, because there was literally nothing else on TV at that time.

Many years later, I had the chance to meet Mr. Samuelson, as part of my job. I mentioned to him the above story, and he laughed, saying, "You can't imagine how many people your age tell me that they used to watch me impatiently, waiting for cartoons to come on."
That sums it up in a nutshell (although I grew up in Saskatchewan, not Illinois).
Old 01-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Another vote for Hee-Haw. It was on at the same time as the Mickey Mouse club and this was the 70s, so we had only one TV in the house. This was a huge issue for me when I was 5.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:39 PM

Fame. For some reason my sister always wanted to watch it and I always thought it was lame how everyone would break out into song in the middle of New York streets. It played against comedies on ABC that I wanted to watch at the time as well (Mork and Mindy, I think).

Akin to the early morning farm reports, there was a religious show that came on just before Saturday morning cartoons in Chicago. It as on ABC, I believe, and it may have been called Reflections or something similar, but the episodes took too long (I think it was only about 5 minutes...) and I wanted to watch the Superfriends.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:39 PM

I grew up in the 1960s, and I detested "grownup shows" like Perry Mason, The Fugitive, and Route 66. They all seemed unbearably talky and tedious. Later in life, thanks to MeTV, I rewatched some of these shows and they were better than I remembered—particularly Route 66, an amazing show filmed on location all over the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Soap Operas

Westerns

ALL Soap Operas and ALL Westerns
Same here. If I was home from school for whatever reason, there was nothing to watch but soap operas, and I resented that. In college, I dated a woman who was into The Young and the Restless; we watched it together and it's actually sort of fun.

I still don't understand the appeal of the old TV westerns, but I've watched some old episodes on streaming services, and was surprised to see that they are mostly little morality plays with minimal action and violence. As a kid, I thought they were nothing but guys riding horses and shooting at each other.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
The Lawrence Welk show, which my parents inexplicably insisted on watching every damn week for years. Just sitting here thinking about it makes me want to kill myself from boredom.
My parents liked it too. It was horrible!
Old 01-10-2018, 03:53 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Have Gun Will Travel.
As a child, a believed Paladin to be an asshole.
I've been watching some of the old westerns on cable, and I was correct, Paladin was an asshole.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:55 PM

Mighty Mouse. I hated that asshole, always beating up cats. I love cats.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:01 PM

Little House on the Prairie. The setting, characters, and look and feel were very good. The plots though, so dramatic.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:12 PM

When I was a kid, we all thought soap operas were the stupidest things around. The, for some reason, we started watching All My Children one summer and got absofreakin-lutely hooked! Never watched them again after that one summer (it was either 1970 or '71).
Old 01-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I didn't like cartoons with no dialogue such as Road Runner and Tom and Jerry. Bugs Bunny and Flintstones were more my cup of tea.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:23 PM

most of the 50s and 60s tv

see in early 80s in Indiana if you didn't have cable you had 8 tv stations the big 3 2-3 indy stations and 2 (wgn and one other one) from Chicago..

and WTBS...which was nothing but things like Beverly hillbillies green acres and such and in mostly black and white ..........but since grandpa was involved in one church or another and worked most of his life he was seeing a lot of them for the first time ........... Only thing us grandkids liked about wtbs was 1 lost in space and Georgia champ wrestling/nwa/wcw which we had to watch at moms/my house ironically he became a fan in later years even though he "knew it was bs" .......

same thing for stepgrandpa except he wasn't religious and he worked the 2-11 shift for 30 years ....... and never liked wrestling

Last edited by nightshadea; 01-10-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong View Post
How could you dislike "Dale and Gail" singing One Toke Over the Line?

Last edited by whitetho; 01-10-2018 at 04:24 PM. Reason: "A modern spiritual" according to Mr. Welk himself.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Three shows I hated because they meant that I couldn't watch what I wanted to watch: Lawrence Welk, Hee Haw, and 60 Minutes. I don't remember for sure what shows I preferred on other networks, but I want to say Wonderful World of Disney (or whatever it was called then), reruns of Star Trek, and In Search Of.

One show I hated because I thought it was unbearably stupid: The Brady Bunch.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:31 PM

The first thing among prime time I think of is The Lawrence Welk Show. Do I have to say why?

Several other shows tried to match Welk in awfulness. The closest was probably Sing Along With Mitch.

There were some pretty awful kid's shows, some locally produced. I didn't see the point of Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo, Ding Dong School etc.

There was a regionally distributed kids show called Wunda Wunda that was unbelievably bad.

Sesame Street (which came way too late for me) showed an entirely different way of doing things.

Why Howdy Doody was popular was a complete mystery to me.

We didn't get Bozo The Clown as a kid, but based on what I saw later, I would have hated that, too.

(Flame proof suit on.) Scooby Doo was the epitome of bad cartoons. Crappy animation, repetitive and predictable "story" lines.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:00 PM

The Mickey Mouse Club

Never been a fan of Disney.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:12 PM

Soaps
News
Football/baseball

Any mini series that screwed my TV schedule.

I also specifically remember hating THE WATERGATE HEARINGS. I can be wrong, I was really young (born '68). It screwed up TV for what seemed like forever.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:18 PM

Like others have mentioned on this thread, soap operas. Fortunately, because they aired during the time I was in school, I usually didn't have to deal with them unless I was home sick and there were no game shows to watch on the other channels.

Also, I know this probably blasphemy to people in my age group, I didn't like Speed Racer. Compared with the other cartoons, everything about it seemed off-putting to me.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 01-10-2018, 05:41 PM

I baby sat my nieces one summer, they had to watch Barney and Teletubbies, oh my God I hated those shows. Sugary, sickeningly sweet. Both those girls grew up to be little terrorists and enraged teens. I blame it directly on those 2 shows.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:42 PM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftg View Post
We didn't get Bozo The Clown as a kid, but based on what I saw later, I would have hated that, too.
Is there the urban legend in every city that when asked, "Do you walk to school or carry your lunch?" a kid replied, "Cram it, clown!" ?

The Lawrence Welk UL is that while reading a cue card, he said, "And here's a little tune from double u double u eye."
Old 01-10-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsircool View Post
The Brady Bunch. I still hate The Brady Bunch. I wished for a Brady Bunch Meets The Manson Family spinoff movie.
Agreed. In fact, I wish someone would set up a GoFundMe page for such a movie. It would be a service for the good of humanity.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:47 PM

There was one show on after Sesame Street and the Electric Co. that I couldn't stand. I think it was called "Vegetable Soup", it had an animation style that I considered weird and creepy looking. One of the regular segments featured a bunch of puppet kids in which the puppeteers just stuck their actual hands out of the puppets' sides, making them look like some kind of thalidomide puppet kids. It just freaked me out so much.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:54 PM

My mother insisted on watchingThe Lawrence Welk Show every Saturday evening, I think it was. I could never fathom why.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

I must be easy to amuse. The only time I remember hating TV was the day after Kennedy was assassinated. We were given the day off of school, which for any sixty's kid would signal: TV Day! But all the channels had nothing on but the same repeating news segments. That may be a slight exaggeration, since it's filtered through a seven-year-old's memory, but it was unrelentingly quiet and somber.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:08 PM

Fucking Ding Dong School ! My youngest sister would throw a tantrum if I tried to watch a western show and I had to sit and that dumb ass show ! The soap opera too ! If I was home sick from school my mom had to watch her boring soap operas and Big Brother was on my shit list too.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Davy & Goliath.

Blasted mealy-mouthed boring little jerk.
AND his dog!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Shows my grandparents watched that I couldn't stand:

I Love Lucy
The Beverly Hillbillies

Shows some of my friends and neighbors liked that I couldn't stand:

Green Acres
The Banana Splits

Pretty much anything with a laugh track. I mostly didn't want to see stuff that was funny anyhow — I wanted suspense and tension and drama and something important and good versus evil and al lthat kind of stuff!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbacher Red View Post
I am embarrassed to say I hated Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood.
It's not just you, although I am not embarrased by it. I was even the right age when I first saw it. It was a slow building hate, though. I was supposed to like it. I wanted to like it at first. It kept offering what seemed like it would be interesting, especially visits to the Magic Kingdom, but consistently kept not delivering. Over time constantly underperforming even my lowering expectations built up a real hate for the show until I stopped watching in disgust.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBitchin' View Post
Soaps
News
Football/baseball

Any mini series that screwed my TV schedule.

I also specifically remember hating THE WATERGATE HEARINGS. I can be wrong, I was really young (born '68). It screwed up TV for what seemed like forever.
The Watergate hearings were the best TV show ever, bar none. Hosted by everyone's favorite "simple country lawyer," Sam Ervin, with his acerbic drawl. (He helped take down McCarthy too.) Plenty of drama, and all the while you knew that Nixon was toast...
Old 01-10-2018, 06:46 PM

Any sports my brothers wanted to watch. I am okay with some now. I think I just wanted my own way, my brothers were too formidable for me to win that one.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-10-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yllaria View Post
I must be easy to amuse. The only time I remember hating TV was the day after Kennedy was assassinated. We were given the day off of school, which for any sixty's kid would signal: TV Day! But all the channels had nothing on but the same repeating news segments. That may be a slight exaggeration, since it's filtered through a seven-year-old's memory, but it was unrelentingly quiet and somber.
You don't exaggerate. I was eight, and remember wishing they'd break away from the news coverage to show Andy Griffith (I think it was) on Friday night.

I was pretty much glued to the TV over that long weekend, so I saw Ruby kill Oswald and remember watching Jackie kiss the coffin and John Jr salute as it happened. When I see coverage of the funeral today, I'm struck by how much clearer the images were as it was being broadcast live. (And no, I don't think this is just my memory playing tricks on me.)

Last edited by terentii; 01-10-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:00 PM

Full House

I didn't actually like most of the stuff on TV, in that I didn't spend a ton of time watching it, but I actively disliked Full House in a way I didn't dislike the vast majority of other shows I might have a chance at stumbling on. It was just too twee, bland, and unbelievably hokey in a way not even Home Improvement or most other 1990s sitcoms were.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

The Watergate hearings may have been fascinating for adults, but for a 7 year old they were boring. I don't remember watching, but I DO remember saying "Watergate" was my least favorite show with my parents / older siblings saying it was "important".
No love for Soap Operas
I didn't hate Road Runner / Bugs Bunny, but I always felt sorry for the carnivores (not Elmer).
I didn't care for Sigmund the Sea Monster or HR Puff N Stuff, but I did love Land of the Lost.

Brian
Old 01-10-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
Even as a small child I could tell that a great majority of the animated shows Hanna-Barbera produced were garbage. Granted, this was the early 80s and pretty much everything from the late 60s up to that point, old or new alike, was cheaply produced garbage.
You and I are twin souls, separated at birth! I might have been getting a bit too old for cartoons by then, but I loathed Hanna-Barbera cheap, primitive, bumbling shit. Yogi and Boo-Boo, Top Cat, Huckleberry Hound - loathed them all.

I remember a loooooong ways back, we would be watching old black and white Popeye cartoons, and I was inordinately disturbed at the ugly S&M tinged beatings and torments between Popeye and Bluto. I found it sickening, but of course I just sat there, appalled. No one cared what we were watching. It was a cartoon, it kept us sitting there quietly. Some many years later, it was cleaned up, lightened up, and not so violent. (and of course, it was like Popeye had been Hanna-Barbera'd - I kind of missed the ornate dreamlike artwork of the grotesque old Popeye, lol.)

See also: The Three Stooges. LOATHED THEM. Was always hoping Moe would actually pull out Curley's eyeball out, or rip off Larry's nose, and he would be arrested and they would disappear from tv forever.

Last edited by salinqmind; 01-10-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:40 PM

I hated I Love Lucy reruns.

Still do.
-- Dave Berry, "25 Things I Have Learned in 50 Years"