Old 01-10-2018, 08:06 PM

What kind of YouTube videos do you (mostly) never get tired of watching?

Mine are glass blowing, people hearing for the first time, and people using those glasses that let color-blind people see colors for the first time.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:14 PM

movie people talking about the movie business
funny animal videos
the best comedians doing their best routines
Old 01-10-2018, 10:34 PM

ladder accidents
Old 01-10-2018, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Numberphile and/or Vi Hart, and maker videos.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Categorized baseball.
Such as spectacular plays, unusual or rare plays. Odd occurrences, "little league homeruns", intentional walks gone hilariously wrong, that sort of thing.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 PM

The Dodo.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:46 PM

Shawn Woods' mouse trap Monday. There's also a guy who calls himself Technomoan who makes interesting videos about electronic items like audio/video equipment and cameras. He'll also highlight interesting and forgotten recording equipment. I also like Mike Jeavons' Infom€rcia£i$m videos where he reviews "As Seen on TV" products.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Categorized baseball.
Such as spectacular plays, unusual or rare plays. Odd occurrences, "little league homeruns", intentional walks gone hilariously wrong, that sort of thing.
Also, sport celebration fails.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:19 PM

video game playthroughs
Old 01-10-2018, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Cooking videos
Funny animal videos
Movie trailers
Old 01-10-2018, 11:37 PM

danTDM could make reading an dictionary funny.....I like the "behind the titantron" series on pro wrestling and other wrestling trivia from a guy called "wrestlemania"

But since the death of free internet radio and file sharing I use youtube for my Mtv cravings .........
Old 01-10-2018, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Machine shop videos
Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 PM

Panel shows, especially Taskmaster.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 AM

Dashcam videos.

We'll, mostly Russian dashcam videos.
Those people are drunk, with bald tires, and have no idea what an appropriate speed would be.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Travel videos, even from places I’d never consider visiting. It’s kinda interesting to watch people tour the Middle East or Africa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2018, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
We'll, mostly Russian dashcam videos.
Yep. Those people are a treasure trove of automobiliac comedy.

And, yes. I just made a new word.

Last edited by Gatopescado; 01-11-2018 at 02:29 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:30 AM
Charter Member

Anything that explains or demonstrates something I didn't know (or know how to do) - so Vihart, any of the channels Brady Haran touches, ElectroBOOM, BigClive, TechMoan etc
Old 01-11-2018, 02:42 AM

I like Brady Haran's channels too. Big fan of ManyATrueNerd as well. It's a videogame channel, and Jon is a master at Fallout. Making it through all of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas on a single health bar with no healing is no mean feat.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

Cooking videos
Kid fails
Cat and dog videos.

Not YT, but my TV came with an app that lets you peak in on various cameras around the world. Restaurant cams, beach cams, street cams, etc.. So mundane, but I couldn't help watching! (Haven't done that in a while. Forgot the name of the app.)

Last edited by Grrr!; 01-11-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

"Everything wrong with Everything wrong with videos". There's only a few of them but they absolutely tear the CinemaSins guys apart and show just how shoddy their attempts at "humor" are. I get giddy every time one shows up in my recommended.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
"Everything wrong with Everything wrong with videos". There's only a few of them but they absolutely tear the CinemaSins guys apart and show just how shoddy their attempts at "humor" are. I get giddy every time one shows up in my recommended.
Yeah, I feel like CinemaSins is a great idea, done really poorly.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:25 AM

Animals. Other than that, I don't really find myself watching it too much. However, some of my favorite threads here have involved people posting links to videos and other people commenting on them.

God love you all, you introduced me to such gems as Benny Lava . And for reminding me of this gem by KISS. And of course, the 1970s one with the band dressed as Indians, just a smilin' and rockin' their little hearts out. I never remember to bookmark that one
Old 01-11-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Shawn Woods' mouse trap Monday.
OMG, I watch those!! I've wondered if he purposely populates his barn with rats and mice.

I also watch Atomic Shrimp videos (Mangetout's channel). Very interesting projects, and just the right length.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:53 AM

Arts and crafts, wood working, metal working, boxing, MMA, speeches, experiments, inventions,
Old 01-11-2018, 08:56 AM

Videos on art techniques where the artist actually tells you what is being done and why and shares useful information, not the ones that just play music and show the artist painting.

I like old celebrity interviews and talk shows like Mike Douglas, Merv Griffin and Dick Cavett.

Also high quality documentaries that are hard to find anywhere these days like American Experience and the like.

And when I feel like I need some bubble gum for the brain, there are some really seedy true crime case study videos on there. The British ones are the best!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

I like bushcraft videos for no good reason in particular.

Also, someone turned me on to people missing their cruise ships as they pull away from the port they’re visiting. They are kinda funny in a cruel way. The whole ship is taunting them for one, plus they were warned NOT to be late. Plus that ship ain’t coming back for your ass as apparently it big dollars to pull back up to the pier, who knew? Worth a giggle when you’re feeling like YOU’VE done something really silly! You’ll feel a whole lot better after watching a couple!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:46 AM

Animal videos, of course (especially cats)

High Speed videos

...and, at the other extreme..

Time-Lapse Videos

There's plenty of stuff to be explored in both areas.

I have to admit to a weakness for the How it Should have Ended and Honest Trailers and everything wrong with ____ movie videos.
After he finished his work on conditioning dogs, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov ambitiously tried his theories on angels, eventually training a flock of them to go and get their wings from a rack when signaled with a bell.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Also, someone turned me on to people missing their cruise ships as they pull away from the port they’re visiting. They are kinda funny in a cruel way. The whole ship is taunting them for one, plus they were warned NOT to be late. Plus that ship ain’t coming back for your ass as apparently it big dollars to pull back up to the pier, who knew? Worth a giggle when you’re feeling like YOU’VE done something really silly! You’ll feel a whole lot better after watching a couple!
I'm going to have to check those out.

My first cruise, I was solo. I was high as the proverbial kite, shopping on Barbados, IIRC. I strolled back to the ship to put my purchases in my room and spend some more time on the island. When I walked up the gangplank I realized they were disassembling everything. I'd come within minutes of missing the ship!!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:35 AM

Numberphile and some of the associated channels (Deep Sky Videos, Sixty Symbols)

Langfocus ("and my name is Paul") is good for linguistics

Videos of people social dancing - not competitions, just people dancing in clubs or on the street (example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChD1a6SbL0)
Old 01-11-2018, 11:59 AM

Oh, I forgot Primitive Technology! I think the guy is probably an ass, but you can't really tell, because he doesn't speak in his vids.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:04 PM

Any DIY house building, plumbing, repair, deck building, building a pergola, even cleaning gutters (they might have perfected a new way!)
Anyone making something with polymer clay.
Anyone bead weaving.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
OMG, I watch those!! I've wondered if he purposely populates his barn with rats and mice.
I like those medieval mouse traps that he recreates from the 1590s.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post

Videos of people social dancing - not competitions, just people dancing in clubs or on the street (example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WChD1a6SbL0)
I once piddled away about 3 hours of my life watching compilations of Soul Train, just people dancing...amazing how mesmerizing that can be.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:54 PM
born to be shunned

Some live concert footage of groups like Jethro Tull and Steppenwolf and a couple of my favorite songs from the Electric Amish. I have about a dozen bookmarked that get watched at least once a week or more.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Lots of car videos...Jay Leno's garage, Motor Trend, etc.
Guitar videos, guitar tech demos
Lots of comedy, including standup and late night TV shows. Jimmy Fallon's "Wheel Of (Musical) Impressions" is a personal favorite.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
Oh, I forgot Primitive Technology! I think the guy is probably an ass, but you can't really tell, because he doesn't speak in his vids.
I love these videos, so much. Its just amazing to see things.. form.. like that. And you can see how humans progressed, once they figured things out.

He always gets a few hundred thousand hits within his first thirty minutes of posting videos.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalmanese View Post
I find CinemaSins the ultimate example on how subjective humor can be. I find their videos hilarious, while both the "everything wrong with everything wrong with" and "everything right with" videos just leave me cold. They really seem like a you either love them or hate them type of channel.

It looks like me and CalMeacham have similar tastes. I'll also second the Honest Trailers and How it Should Have Ended video series, with an honorable mention for funny cat videos. (The sad cat diary video makes me laugh every time.)

However, the one channel that I watch that fits the OP best is the Slo-mo Guys. I especially love their videos that involve fire or explosions, which is quite a few of them. I could seriously watch fire in slow motion all day long, there is something about it that just hypnotizes me. Here is a good example.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:26 PM

Any channels similar to the late, lamented 'wdtvlive42' (Archival Footage) - it hosted lots of interesting industrial, military, educational, promotional, and so on films, supposedly in the public domain (but apparently not everything was). Similar channels like 'Ella's Archives' and (IIRC) 'Tomorrow Always Comes' have also been taken down.
I believe wdtvlive42 started out hosting Australian railway videos, and then took off from there...
Old 01-11-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
I find CinemaSins the ultimate example on how subjective humor can be. I find their videos hilarious, while both the "everything wrong with everything wrong with" and "everything right with" videos just leave me cold. They really seem like a you either love them or hate them type of channel.

It looks like me and CalMeacham have similar tastes. I'll also second the Honest Trailers and How it Should Have Ended video series, with an honorable mention for funny cat videos. (The sad cat diary video makes me laugh every time.)

However, the one channel that I watch that fits the OP best is the Slo-mo Guys. I especially love their videos that involve fire or explosions, which is quite a few of them. I could seriously watch fire in slow motion all day long, there is something about it that just hypnotizes me. Here is a good example.
I mentioned slow motion as well in my post. That and Time-Lapse always fascinate me.

I've taken lots of Slo-Mo myself, throughout my career. I have 5,000-10,000 frame per second films of karate experts breaking boards and cement blocks. It was part of my bachelor's thesis, back in the pre-Cambrian era.

Technology has improved, though. A couple of years ago I shot close-up videos of C-4 exploding, taken at 750,000 frames per second. You can actually watch the explosion propagating from one side of the strip of explosive to the other, sending off shock waves along the length.
After he finished his work on conditioning dogs, Ivan Petrovich Pavlov ambitiously tried his theories on angels, eventually training a flock of them to go and get their wings from a rack when signaled with a bell.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I seem to end up watching quite a few "(country X) People Try (Country Y) Food!" videos. So now I know that Irish people don't care for grits much.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:02 PM

Babies eating lemons.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post

Technology has improved, though. A couple of years ago I shot close-up videos of C-4 exploding, taken at 750,000 frames per second. You can actually watch the explosion propagating from one side of the strip of explosive to the other, sending off shock waves along the length.
Link! Link! Link! Link!
Old 01-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
Link! Link! Link! Link!
Sorry -- it's not online, and I think I no longer have the software to run the video.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Sorry -- it's not online, and I think I no longer have the software to run the video.
21 grump salute.

Old 01-11-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
I seem to end up watching quite a few "(country X) People Try (Country Y) Food!" videos. So now I know that Irish people don't care for grits much.
I started a subreddit to collect those! Feel free to contribute, it's been dormant for quite a while.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:54 PM

DIY videos, both home and auto. I've saved a ton of money doing things that YouTube taught me.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:38 PM

Animal videos.

Cooking videos, especially foreign ones, so I can learn how to do satay or shabu shabu.

Hunting videos, especially with dogs, like greyhound coursing.

Irish people try stuff, otherwise known as the Facts channel. Thanks, Doper who linked to this in a recent similar thread. I'm addicted!

Walking or driving tours of [foreign city] videos.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
There's also a guy who calls himself Technomoan who makes interesting videos about electronic items like audio/video equipment and cameras. He'll also highlight interesting and forgotten recording equipment.
Actually he posts as "techmoan", although in one video he mentioned that he no longer remembers why he chose that name.

Another good series is "Jay Leno's Garage": he has a huge car collection, and is very knowledgeable about motor vehicle technology and history.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:01 PM

animals trying to have sex with machinery.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:53 AM

Blacksmithing (love me some Man at arms Reforged), Weapons stuff (Skallgrim, forgotten weapons, Shadiversity) snarky wrestling (What Culture, Cultaholic, Jim Cornette Expertise) and MMA stuff (Gracie Breakdowns, Joe Rogans podcast, Marcello Garcia,l