View Poll Results: Trader Joe's or Whole Foods?
Trader Joe's - strongly prefer 61 51.69%
Trader Joe's - slightly or moderately prefer 18 15.25%
No preference 20 16.95%
Whole Foods - slightly or moderately prefer 11 9.32%
Whole Foods - strongly prefer 8 6.78%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2019, 02:43 PM

Trader Joe's vs Whole Foods

I am a semi-regular at Trader Joe's and I stopped in to Whole Foods today on a whim. I was quite impressed at the selection and layout. Didn't buy much - an avocado, a lime, some grapes and some peppery feta - but there were many more items I would have liked to grab.

Anyway, I'm curious if anyone has a strong preference one way or the other.

The poll is intended for those who are familiar with both establishments.

mmm
Old 01-12-2019, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I like them both but for different reasons. Trader Joe's is good for frozen stuff you can just pop in the oven or microwave when you don't have a lot of time to make dinner. They also tend to be reasonably priced.

Whole Foods is expensive, and therefore I only shop there for special occasion meals or to get ingredients I can't get reliably anywhere else.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

I go to both, and to “regular” supermarkets pretty much every week because I get different things at different places.

It would be too expensive to just buy everything at Whole Foods, but there are some things there that are irreplaceable, such as the cheese counter or the hot food bar or the dairy car or locally roasted coffee.

Trader Joe’s on the other hand doesn’t have a wide enough selection to serve as a sole source of groceries, but they have several unique items that aren’t replaceable.

So I don’t quite know how to answer the question. They are both—along with the regular supermarket—a necessary part of my routine.

Last edited by Acsenray; 01-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Trader Joe's does indeed have some excellent frozen food, in particular their ethnic specialties, as well as a good selection of imported cheeses at reasonable prices, but their produce is way too high, and you can find better for a fraction of the price at any farmer's market or even a "Hispanic" or "Asian" supermarket.

Living in Poland, where frozen "convienience food" is an (relatively) expensive novelty and generally of mediocre quality, I really miss being able to have a few Trader Joes Indian or Italian meals in the freezer for nights I want to be lazy.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 PM

They each have their merits. TJs packages vegetables and fruit in non-recyclable clamshell plastic, so I only buy the ones I can't get elsewhere. WF supplies many more allergen-aware products. There are also several organic/natural groceries and farmer's markets near me, and local fish an meat shops, so it's largely a question of specific products or where I will be that day.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

I tended more to Trader Joe's when I was single. My girl friend loves Whole Foods though and they have those turmeric shots that she loves among other things so I am now biased the other way.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:19 PM

I guess strongly Trader Joe's for me, because I actually go there. Whole foods is off the rotation totally because there is a local independent that is closer and does everything better than WF.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:20 PM

As suggested in another reply, WF is not a practical place for all your supermarket needs unless you're very price insensitive or perhaps you don't cook at all and stick to their prepared stuff. WF is a reasonable alternative to a restaurant, but not to a regular price supermarket, IMO. TJ's in contrast is as or more economical than a regular 'mass market' supermarket. So pretty different places.

We buy a few items at WF's, some natural medicine/cosmetic type stuff, each lunch there sometimes, buffet spread if we're having guests, etc. It's not one of our mainline supermarkets like TJ's, Shoprite and Korean supermarkets. IOW if we have to drop either WF or TJ it would 100% be WF's we'd drop. But it doesn't mean we avoid it altogether.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Trader Joe’s on the other hand doesn’t have a wide enough selection to serve as a sole source of groceries, but they have several unique items that aren’t replaceable.
I have friends who say they only shop at Trader Joe's and the products I've seen in their house certainly back that up, but I have no idea how they are able to sustain themselves on the irregular and crappy selection I see at TJ's. It's not a grocery store, it's a supplemental grocery store.

At least Whole Foods is a full-service grocery store, however expensive their products are.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:50 PM

I used to go to Trader Joe's semi-regularly for specific items I couldn't get at Safeway, and had only been to the Whole Foods a couple of times because I was in that neighborhood.

Then the Trader Joe's moved last fall to some place so out of my usual routes that I've no idea where and haven't yet had the incentive to try and locate it. So for fancier items, I've begun going by Whole Foods more often. I like their bakery if I want an artisan bread (although it looks like I couldn't get a plain sliced bread just for everyday sandwiches) and I love their cute little decorated cheesecake, mousse, or other treats when I want to get something special for a holiday tea.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
I have friends who say they only shop at Trader Joe's and the products I've seen in their house certainly back that up, but I have no idea how they are able to sustain themselves on the irregular and crappy selection I see at TJ's. It's not a grocery store, it's a supplemental grocery store.

At least Whole Foods is a full-service grocery store, however expensive their products are.
I agree with this.

Trader Joe fresh produce is deplorable, but a lot of their specialty items are great.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

I suppose that given the choice just between those two, I'd pick Trader Joe's, just on basis of price. But I can get most of what I need at Aldi, and what little I can't get there, is at Giant Eagle, Bi-Rite, Marc's, or Dave's, all of which are cheaper and/or more convenient than either.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I like Trader Joe's food, but not their policy of setting up as small a parking lot as they can get away with, so it's a pain in the ass to park there.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:17 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Our closest TJ's is in the same center as a huge Vons, so parking is never a problem. For that matter neither is shopping: Vons for everyday items, then Trader Joe's for some frozen stuff and specialty items.

Whole Foods is nowhere near us, so it is never a temptation. Besides, we also have a great boutique market that is local and killer. Cheaper than WF by a mile.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:37 PM

Trader Joe's, for sure, but I have one of the newer Whole Foods 365 near me. It's Whole Foods attempt at a lower price point store, to compete with Trader Joe's. The specific location written about in this article is the one I go to. I like it quite a bit, actually. I probably still favor Trader Joe's, but by a slimmer margin than over a normal Whole Foods store.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:02 PM

I just walked in the house from a day trip to Buffalo, specifically for a Trader Joe’s run. We did stop at the new Whole Foods in Buffalo for lunch and a few things that WF in Toronto doesn’t carry, but we really stocked up on close to $300 worth of stuff from TJ.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:19 PM

If my regular grocery store was besieged by aliens and I needed to buy groceries, I'd go to Whole Foods. I find TJ's selection to be rather limited and I'm kind of put off by their vegetable pricing by unit rather than weight, and they had a few too many recalls of their store-brand stuff for salmonella or listeria for my taste. I also find TJ's store-brand beer to be sub-par, but I live in the same block as a liquor store so that's not an issue for me.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 PM

The Trader Joe's near me is in the same shopping center as a Target. Anything I can't get at Trader Joe's, I can get there. I really like the wine at Trader Joe's (2 buck Chuck. It's up to $2.75, but still a good deal) and the frozen stuff. I really like their dark chocolate peanut butter cups also.

I was in the Whole Foods today, they have better cheese than Trader Joe's, but the produce prices were ridiculous. Anyway the Costco has better cheese than Whole Foods, if a more limited selection.

The local Asian grocery has good produce too, and cheap. And the kim che with fermented squid is to die from.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Neither is my primary store but I'm spoiled that way as there are 8 different stores within easy driving distance. That being said I regularly shop at TJs while I walk through WF a few times a year just to see if there's anything interesting and I always leave empty handed.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:34 PM

They are both for supplemental items, not regular groceries. Here in Florida, I go to Publix for regular grocery items, and for special things, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's last. When I'm back up north, Wegman's meets all needs and desires, and replaces them all.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:34 AM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

I live in an area where high-quality produce is cheap and easy to find, so I don't rely on either TJ's or Whole Foods for fruits and vegetables. There's a TJ's close to my home, so I tend to go there when I'm in a hurry to get something edible to put on the table. Whole Foods, on the other hand, tends to annoy me. The place is overpriced, and has a bit of a cult feeling to it.

My biggest frustration with TJ's is that they stop carrying products that I like. One example is their black bean and cheese taquitos, which they discontinued a few months ago. Not only did these taste pretty good, but they were fairly low in sodium, which I have to be careful about because I'm taking care of my 91-year-old father.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

I'll stop in a Trader Joe's if I'm close to one, but only to buy Liberté, which is a reasonably priced pinot noir (about $10 here). I'm not a fan of their famous, cheap wine, and there's really nothing else in the store at appeals to me at all. It seems to be all pre-made, frozen food with a limited selection of fresh vegetables on the way in. The staff, though, are amazing, and if they sold, you know, useful stuff, I'd see myself being a fan.

I don't know that I've even been to a Whole Foods, as I don't have any near me. I tend to think that Fresh Thyme is supposed to be the same style of store, though, a copycat, and I can't stand it because it's full of froo-froo hippie crap instead of anything useful. If this isn't the case for Whole Foods, by all means let me know, though.

We're a household that cooks from ingredients, and don't really snack, so there's really nothing appealing about these. Because of TJ's great attitudes, though, I really wish they sold more food ingredients instead of junk food, though.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
My biggest frustration with TJ's is that they stop carrying products that I like.
Ain't that the truth? They used to have a whole selection of (mostly Asian-themed) frozen meals in a bowl. Loved 'em. They've been gone for years. Same with their frozen stir-fry-in-a-bag meals. Used to be our standby dinner, and I'd eat the leftovers for lunch at work the next day. Again, all gone, except for one or two of them that I never really liked to begin with. And that's just for starters.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Whole Foods founder and current CEO John Mackey is an anti-union libertarian who claims not to be a climate-change denialist but who is totally a climate-change denialist. He's a schmuck, and he's used his power to bust unions, and his influence in the organic food markets to downplay the dangers of climate change is itself dangerous.

Mark me down for Trader Joe's.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have shopped at both, but neither is very close to me. Even if they were closer, I wouldn't shop at either more than a few times a year. I do the vast majority of my food shopping at traditional supermarkets and warehouse clubs, which are far cheaper.

I used to go to WF a few times a year for their reasonably priced bulk food: things like rolled oats and spices. I never found anything else there that was reasonably priced. A few years ago a locally owned bulk-food store opened that's closer, cheaper, and friendlier. I haven't been inside a WF since.

I continue to go to TJ's a few times a year. I rarely make a special trip, but I'll stop in if I happen to be near one. They have a few items of very high quality that I really enjoy. Prices are not exactly cheap, but they're worth it as a special treat now and then.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 AM

I shop at a regular supermarket and at Whole Foods most weeks, and go to Trader Joes every couple of months. So I voted "Whole Foods" on frequency. But really, they are different.

I like the produce and meat at Whole Foods. If I need to, I can get all my groceries there, although the supermarket has better prices and "regular brands". (There's breakfast cereal at Whole Foods, but not anyone's favorite brands.) But in a pinch, I get get everything I need there.

Trader Joes doesn't have enough variety to be my supermarket. But it has good prices on what it has, and it has lots of specialty items that are lower quality or harder to get elsewhere. So I buy wild rice at Trader Joes, because they sell pure wild rice for a reasonable price. The supermarket sells tiny expensive one-serving boxes, or wild-and-long-grain-rice-blend. My husband buys pure cranberry juice at trader joes because they carry it. They stopped selling my favorite juice (a blend of cranberry, blueberry, and hmm, maybe cherry?) but they still have an excellent selection of pure fruit juices and mixed fruit juices. If I want a pound of smoked salmon for a party, I got to Trader Joes, which carries an excellent brand for a reasonable price. We sometimes buy cookies and candies at Trader Joes, too.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

They're different stores for different purposes, but I don't find myself going to either much.I'm more likely to go to Whole Foods, though, in search of something than Trader Joe's. I'm maybe at TJ's twice a year and WF's six times a year. TJ's is great, but every time I step in there to have a look around, there's really nothing that interests me. There's a couple of frozen or prepared items that I will occasionally pick up, but I typically don't eat a lot of premade stuff, so it's typically just the local supermarket for me. With Whole Foods, I like their cheese selection (my local groceries might have a lot of different cheeses, but they are mostly bland mass market brands. Like I can't find a Stilton, morbier, or even a real Parmigiano-Reggiano at my two usual supermarkets. Whole Foods is the closest place I could think of with a decent cheese selection. There's a Mariano's closer that is good, as well, but not as extensive as Whole Foods.)

They also have a surprisingly good in-house smoked brisket. If I don't feel like driving to my favorite barbecue brisket places in the area (which, admittedly, is only two or three places), Whole Foods more than suffices.

Last edited by pulykamell; 01-13-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I go to TJ's a few times a year and Whole Foods basically never - too expensive, and just about anything I would buy there, I can get somewhere else cheaper. I don't buy a lot of prepared foods, but at TJ's I might buy wine, nuts or dried fruit, jarred salsa, cheese, decaf coffee (which we don't go through very fast - regular coffee comes in 3 lb. bags from Costco, but decaf lives in the freezer for the occasional after-dinner coffee, so we buy the 12 oz. canisters from TJ's), and I use the Pound Plus chocolate bars for baking because they are cheap as hell and better than most of what you can buy in a regular supermarket. (I made chocolate-dipped glaceed apricots this year for office Christmas gifts, and everyone was impressed with the chocolate.) Once in a while I might buy the fresh-squeezed orange or grapefruit juice, cookies, or something like that. They were handy when I needed cookies to make a cheesecake crust; triple ginger cookies were awesome with pumpkin bourbon cheesecake!

Whole Foods I pretty much go to only when I'm at my dentist's office and want a snack afterwards because they are down the block, or maybe if I want some esoteric type of flour or grain from the bulk bins for a recipe, or steel-cut oats, or the occasional natural cosmetic item. Although WF was very handy a couple of weeks ago when we went to a vegan friend's wedding, it was a short walk from the hotel, and all the vegan family members could find something they were willing to eat at the food counters there. Suburban Orlando strip malls are not a hotbed of vegan dining.

Last edited by Eva Luna; 01-13-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:24 PM

Trader Joe's by a slight margin. They have different roles though. Trader Joe's is more like a Tappas bar; it's a highly curated experience, and everything I've gotten there has been excellent. But I wouldn't want to do all my grocery shopping there. The "Unexpected Cheddar" is divine.

Whole foods is closer to a grocery store, although still too expensive to be a total grocery destination. And there is an awful lot of crap to sift through while looking for the gems at Whole Foods. Even if I had the money, I'd chafe at paying that much for regular shopping. I wouldn't want to live without their bakery though, and the citrus salmon at the deli is divine.

The point that puts Whole foods a little below is that I've bought some really disappointing stuff there, which made me wonder if the manager had ever tried it. Despite the fact that I've had to toss some TJ's veggies that might have been dangerous, I consider that to be a problem with the American food system, not specific to Trader Joe's. And TJ's was very assertive about contacting the public and making sure we knew to toss it out and come back for a refund. I liked the approach they took toward it.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lichtman View Post
Whole Foods, on the other hand, tends to annoy me. The place is overpriced, and has a bit of a cult feeling to it.
When I lived in Berkeley a few years ago, I felt like I shouldn't be shopping at the WF on Ashby because I didn't dress colorfully enough, or in pastel hemp clothing.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:31 PM

We have our pick of all kinds of good food stores in northern VA. Whole Foods went downhill years ago. We end up getting everything at a combo of Wegmans, Trader Joe's, various Asian supermarkets, and farmers markets.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:58 PM

I do almost all my shopping at my local food co-ops and at farmers markets; we buy some staples at TJ's like cheese, milk, eggs, chicken, canned tomatoes, honey because their organic staples are usually cheaper. I long ago tired of their frozen meals. I loathe Whole Foods the way and for the same reason I loathe Amazon and Walmart. I never, ever go there. I also very rarely shop at conventional supermarkets because I don't eat that kind of food.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
The point that puts Whole foods a little below is that I've bought some really disappointing stuff there, which made me wonder if the manager had ever tried it. Despite the fact that I've had to toss some TJ's veggies that might have been dangerous, I consider that to be a problem with the American food system, not specific to Trader Joe's. And TJ's was very assertive about contacting the public and making sure we knew to toss it out and come back for a refund. I liked the approach they took toward it.
I remember that Trader Joe's, or at least the one I used to shop at in Salt Lake City, goes one step better than that.

I was once talking to a stocker working in the frozen food section and asked her if she had tried a particular item that I hadn't seen before, and she said that she hadn't had it yet, and I guess I must have mentioned something along the lines of, "Thanks anyway, I guess it seems kind of spendy and I don't know if that is something I would really enjoy that much, maybe I'll just stick to my usual stuff today." and she said, "Well, you know that if you buy something here and don't like it, you can always bring it back and get a refund, right?", and I told her that sure, at almost any reputable store if something was spoiled or otherwise defective you could bring in the unused portion and get a replacement, but she said at TJ's, if you don't like something for any reason or for no reason at all, even if you already eaten the entire item, you just need to bring in the empty packaging and you will get a full cash refund with a reciept, or if you have lost the reciept, store credit, or a replacement, your call.

I think I only took them up on this extremely liberal policy once or possibly twice, but knowing how it worked, over the years I ended up getting several things I might not have otherwise tried, knowing there was no risk of paying a lot of money for something and then finding out it wasn't something I would really enjoy.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:26 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

TJ's also has a policy of letting customers taste items, even if it means opening a package. Obviously, there are limits to this (mind if I do a taste test of all of your wines?), but it's a generous policy.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Traders Joes has much better prices. But their aisles are so narrow and crowded.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:57 PM

I go to Trader Joe's for the frozen foods. They also have interesting things like cookie butter and stroopwaffles.

I go to WH for the hot bar and those little cookies they sell by the bulk.

I go to Krogers for everything else.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:10 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

TJ's has a couple of things I buy every week like whole wheat lavash, packaged salad and Charles Shaw, but I buy most of my groceries at Safeway.

I go to Whole Foods for hot food items on the weekend when I don't feel like fixing dinner.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:30 PM

Anyone ever been to Jungle Jim's in Fairfield Ohio? If you have, is JJ's more like Trader Joe's or more like Whole Foods? I've never been to either.

Jungle Jim's website: https://junglejims.com/
Old 01-13-2019, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quoth zoid:

Neither is my primary store but I'm spoiled that way as there are 8 different stores within easy driving distance.
That's spoiled? Huh. I've got an Aldi, a Bi-Rite, and something called Lucky's (overpriced and mediocre quality, but it's there) within easy walking distance, two Giant Eagles, a Marc's, and a Discount Drug Mart in easy bike distance, a Sav-A-Lot that's a little further but that I go right past on a number of my other errands anyway, and a Dave's, a Heinen's, a Whole Foods, another Sav-A-Lot, and the West Side Market close enough that I could reasonably bike to them if for some reason I thought it was important. By any reasonable standard of "driving distance", I could also add a Wal-Mart, another Heinen's, another Dave's, another Aldi, another Marc's, a Trader Joe's, and probably a few others I'm forgetting or not familiar with.

Last edited by Chronos; 01-13-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:32 PM
Head Cheese
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Anyone ever been to Jungle Jim's in Fairfield Ohio? If you have, is JJ's more like Trader Joe's or more like Whole Foods? I've never been to either.

Jungle Jim's website: https://junglejims.com/
Just looking at the web site, Jungle Jim's seems more like Whole Foods than like Trader Joe's. JJ's has a butcher, a deli, an olive bar, and a good-sized produce section. TJ's sells pre-packaged foods; even their fish, meat, and poultry is packaged, and TJ's fresh produce selections are limited.

On the other hand, JJ's has big candy, soda, and toy balloon sections, and JJ's also sells cigars. This sets it apart from both TJ's and Whole Foods.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
That's spoiled? Huh. I've got an Aldi, a Bi-Rite, and something called Lucky's (overpriced and mediocre quality, but it's there) within easy walking distance, two Giant Eagles, a Marc's, and a Discount Drug Mart in easy bike distance, a Sav-A-Lot that's a little further but that I go right past on a number of my other errands anyway, and a Dave's, a Heinen's, a Whole Foods, another Sav-A-Lot, and the West Side Market close enough that I could reasonably bike to them if for some reason I thought it was important. By any reasonable standard of "driving distance", I could also add a Wal-Mart, another Heinen's, another Dave's, another Aldi, another Marc's, a Trader Joe's, and probably a few others I'm forgetting or not familiar with.
I guess you win.

mmm
Old 01-14-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, you live in an urban/suburban environment? My local brands are different than your local brands, but I've always assumed that anyone that doesn't live in the sticks has this plethora of choice. On the other hand, what's a reasonable standard of "driving distance"? For that matter, of bicycle distance (asks the cycle tourist)?

What I don't have, though, is a Whole Foods.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
That's spoiled? Huh. I've got an Aldi, a Bi-Rite, and something called Lucky's . . .
. . . I could also add a Wal-Mart, another Heinen's, another Dave's, another Aldi, another Marc's, a Trader Joe's, and probably a few others I'm forgetting or not familiar with.
Did you really just turn this into a competition? Why do people do that? What is the prize?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:45 PM

I like Trader Joe's because it has a sort of... fun(?) vibe to their store and product choices. It's somewhere you can go and buy your staple foods, but you can count on them to have quirky and fun and unusual snacks and foods.

Whole Foods seems to be a retail form of virtue signaling for a lot of people. It seems to be the place where wealthy people who want to display that they "care about what they eat" shop. I only go there because they have a great beer selection, otherwise I can find everything they have cheaper and/or better somewhere else because I don't give a crap about buying organic.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:09 PM
born to be shunned

Trader Joe's but mostly for some of their store-brand teas; they have a couple I just really love.

Whole Foods just never did much for me and it hasn't improved, to me, since Amazon took over. Although their Whole Foods Now project is interesting.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruCelt View Post
Did you really just turn this into a competition? Why do people do that? What is the prize?
Dude, you don't get to be a moderator if you have a paucity of food stores near where you live.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:29 PM

I have found Whole Foods a lot better in terms of selection and produce, but the price was MUCH higher than Trader Joes. However, ever since Amazon bought WFs, I've found the prices to far better. They just opened a Whole Foods 365 market near me which combines the best of both worlds, IMO.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I have found Whole Foods a lot better in terms of selection and produce, but the price was MUCH higher than Trader Joes. However, ever since Amazon bought WFs, I've found the prices to far better.
I remember how excited I was when, to celebrate the new ownership, Whole Foods had a sale on avocados. For a limited time, they were only twice as expensive as the avocados sold everywhere else, rather than triple the price.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I didn't mean it to be competitive. I just take it for granted that everyone has a wide variety of grocery stores within reasonable range.

As for what counts as "reasonable distance", let's say 15 minutes travel time each way.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I stopped at Whole Foods today because it was convenient and also because their dairy is better quality than Giant and 7-Eleven's and I needed milk. I ended up buying a lot of 365-brand canned beans of various types—kidney, cannellini, garbanzos, etc.—because they were 79 or 99 cents a can. That's not a bad price. I have had trouble finding cannellini beans at Giant and other places, so that might become a regular Whole Foods item for me.

Last edited by Acsenray; 01-14-2019 at 05:15 PM.