Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM

Kids keep losing their $350 beanies at school

A school on Long Island has asked students to not wear their Moncler Winter Pom Pom hats because the school is wasting too much time looking for the hats. Three Fifty? Hey, when I was their age I was happy to get by with a $79 Tommy Hilfiger hat. Kids.

Dennis

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-...ng-350-beanies
Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

That's not a "beanie". Those are touques!

Jughead wears a beanie (in the comics, at least).
Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

In my day it was Air Jordans and Starter jackets. Both expensive (I want to say about $200, in the early 90's) and both getting stolen, sometimes violently.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:04 PM

But seriously. when you are wearing your Moncler coat, you've got to have the coordinating beanie.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:12 PM

Dadburn whippersnappers! Back in MY day*... We stopped by the Saint Vinnie's or the Goodwill and found a perfectly good touque for tree-fitty (that's tree-fitty dollar, not hundies). And we'd pick up a pair o' dungarees for five-fitty. Bam, all set to walk uphill to school.

*oh, wait, that was last Tuesday.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

When I was in high school, I was fine with a $2 'Navy watch cap'.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:40 PM

How much are they with the propeller?
Old 01-13-2019, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Leaving the kids, the school and the teachers out of it for a moment, what kind of parent thinks a child should have a $350 hat?

If I was a teacher I wouldn’t spend one second looking for them. Kids lose hats, mits, scarves, school bags, etc, etc. You wanna come by and look? Knock yourself out! The school closes at six, Good Luck!
Old 01-13-2019, 01:39 PM

Can't they just tell parents that school staff are not responsible for things kids lose in school, and will not waste time looking for them?
Old 01-13-2019, 01:42 PM

Why is the school spending staff time looking? "Search Lost and Found. It ain't there kid you are out of luck."
Old 01-13-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley Dweller View Post
But seriously. when you are wearing your Moncler coat, you've got to have the coordinating beanie.
Back in my day, we called that a "sleeping bag".
Old 01-13-2019, 01:48 PM

Ho----ly crap. I'm dumb but I ain't stupid.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:52 PM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

From the link.
Quote:
That’s what a middle school on the tony North Shore of Long Island is telling parents after students have been losing $350 headware from trendy brand Moncler.

“We understand that fashion is very important to our middle schoolers,
” administrators wrote in a letter obtained by The Post. “However, we have had many students who have worn their Moncler Winter Pom Pom hats to school, and either lost or misplaced them.
Spoiled brat parents are the problem here.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by running coach View Post
From the link.

Spoiled brat parents are the problem here.
I hate to be the guy insulting other parents or insulting kids' choices, but..yeah. Pretty much.

Conspicuous consumption is a blight, but it really irks me more when the expensive garments are something you could get for so, so, so much cheaper just without a "prestigious" logo. The only real excuses for the existence of luxury goods is that they allow companies to push the boundaries of quality and design in ways that might eventually find a home in standard products, fill a specific-need niche, or at least provide some entertainment and amusement for us plebs when we see 'em.

This is just a generic hat, yo.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
What kind of many-armed monstrosity is going to emerge from THAT cocoon in spring?

When culture-vultures of the 2030's are picking apart the 20-teens on whatever embedded brain chips we'll have in place of an Internet at that point - that image right there is going to be Exhibit A in "Weird shit your parents wore"
Old 01-13-2019, 02:50 PM

Back when I was a tot we had to make hats out of newspaper! Kept the snow off just fine when we walked 6 miles to school and then had to stoke the fire!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:59 PM

I bought the lil'wrekker a 'Neff' beanie and paid $20 or so for it. I thought that was extravagant. I hope she doesn't hear about these ones.
ETA, beanie is what all the kids call 'em.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-13-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:12 PM

I'm a retired school teacher.

If a pupil lost their work, their tutor would send out an e-mail to all staff asking them to look for it.
For an item of clothing, we'd expect the pupil to have labelled it.

As for spoiled brat parents, here's a true story.
A male pupil turned 18 and their parents bought them a sports car - for about $90,000. (Apparently, due to the boy's age and inexperience, the insurance company put an excess of $80,000 on any claim.)
Within a month, the boy wrote the car off (fortunately nobody was hurt.)
So that cost the parents $80,000.
And they promptly bought him a replacement.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Or the coordinating sucker plunger and gunstick..

"Exterminate! Exterminate!!!"
Old 01-13-2019, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

We weren't even allowed to wear hats when I was in school. Hats is gang signs, you know.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:44 PM

Anyone that would pay $350 for one of those deserves to lose it.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Think you mean "Down-Quilted Puffer Cape ".
Old 01-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowItAll View Post
Anyone that would pay $350 for one of those deserves to lose it.
That reminds me of a line from Dawn Of The Dead: 'The only person who could miss with this gun is the sucker with the bread to buy it.'
Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 PM

When the lil'wrekker was starting in Highschool all the girls were wearing MissMe brand jeans. They were around $150.00 a pair for Jr. Miss sizes. She was skinny and short and could still wear the children's sizes. Still they were $80.00 or so. I bit my lip and bought her some. (Well, cause she was spoiled, If you must know.) She did wear them for 2 years. And had cool shorts the 3rd year. They were wanning in popularity by the time she wore 2 pair out. She never did really grow out of them, got a tad taller is all. Girl likes her fad fashions.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-13-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:33 PM

There's no way I'd buy a knit cap for that price. It's not even open to discussion.

We bought our daughters clothes at JC Penney. They wanted stuff from LL Bean and The Gap. But we were already buying nice stuff. Walmart would have been cheaper but we understood our daughters need to fit in with their peers.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-13-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Piper View Post

Jughead wears a beanie (in the comics, at least).
That was no beanie...that was a whoopee cap, made from the crown of an old felt hat, with the brim removed, bottom half flipped up, and clipped in a spiffy zig-zag pattern.

Here's an example of one spotted in the wild by Shorpy. The wearer of that particular whoopee cap looks like he recently had to address some criticism about his choice of headgear.

Last edited by minor7flat5; 01-13-2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:20 PM

I always thought a beanie hat was a kind of beret.
As said above the kids call stocking caps 'beanies' now-a-days.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:17 PM

I always thought a beanie was a large yarmulke type of thing.

My evidence is Stretch Cunningham's funeral, when Archie had to give the eulogy, and Edith jammed the yarmulke on Archie's head while saying, "Don't forget your beanie!"
Old 01-13-2019, 08:25 PM

When I was a classroom teacher, elementary grades, I always said in my initial letter home to families: "Don;t have your child bring anything to school that has much monetary or sentimental value, as it WILL get lost."

That didn't prevent kids from bringing in a variety of personally-important and sometimes-expensive items, all of which--whaddaya know--DID get lost.

The trickiest one I remember was the second grader who brought in a binder full of Pokemon cards. He put the binder into his cubby and left it there for about three days, getting them out to show them off every snack and lunch period. He and his buddies would slide the cards in and out of their sleeves and admire them (they never actually played a game with them). After three days it had gotten too much--kids weren't focusing on reading because they were too excited about Andrew's Pokemon cards!--so they went home...whereupon Andrew realized that his SPECIAL Pokemon card, the one that was worth TWENTY DOLLARS, was gone and clearly SOMEONE HAD SWIPED IT. And what, he demanded the next day, was I going to do about it?

I told him that I was sorry the card had gone missing, and that I was sorry that he had chosen to bring in a card that was that important to him in the first place. And I told him that saying that someone had stolen it was a pretty strong thing to say and I wondered if he had left it somewhere or dropped it or something? And I helped him rummage through his cubby and look on the floor and in a couple of other places where a card might have gone during a "vacation" at school. And...nothing.

I thought it was over. The next morning, though, Andrew came in with his mom , who--without saying anything to me--began rummaging through all the other kids' cubbies. "What's going on?" I asked when I became aware of it.

"Andrew says somebody stole his most valuable Pokemon card," she explained, "and I'm looking for it."

Lordy, lordy. I told her she needed to stop. Which she did. Reluctantly. I told her I would ask the kids if anyone knew about it, or if they had it "by mistake." She agreed. Reluctantly. She left the room. She may have come back after hours to rummage through the remaining cubbies. I don't know. I do know the card was never found.

If we're going to invest this much angst into a twenty-dollar Pokemon card, I can only imagine the drama surrounding a $350 hat.

Last edited by Ulf the Unwashed; 01-13-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Fool of a touque!

(they've always been beanies to me)
Old 01-13-2019, 09:06 PM

I don't get it. The entire point to conspicuous consumption is to advertise: I'm so rich that I can afford to waste money on stupid crap.

But the message is entirely lost when you then whine about your kid losing that item, whether it's the latest iPhone or some dumb hat. The social signal is now that you can't afford to waste money at all; that in fact you were just trying to game the system by pretending you were rich enough to waste money on clothes. You're just some poor schlub with a handful of maxed-out credit cards.

The only right solution is to buy the kid a $500 hat when he loses the $350 one. And give the kid only the tiniest of rebukes: now Johnny, you can't go losing your clothes like this. You will make your friend Sam feel bad; he could have bought two hats for the price of one of yours.

Well, either that, or don't buy your kid the fucking hat in the first place.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

When I was in middle school, my hats were the cost of the yarn to make them, plus the cost of about 20 minutes worth of labor (my mom crochets really fast).
Old 01-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Fool of a touque!

Well-played!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:28 PM

Crap. I liked my long blond, blown-out locks too much to even think of a tight cap, beanie, or whatever on my head as a teen. Oh, no that's not gonna happen.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 01-13-2019 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Fool of a touque!

How old are you? Calling those wool hats beanies is a fairly recent thing. A real beanie looks like this:

https://archon.wheaton.edu/index.php...ontent&id=5790

or this:

https://www.collectableivy.com/duke-...an-beanie-hat/
Old 01-13-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
There's no way I'd buy a knit cap for that price. It's not even open to discussion.

We bought our daughters clothes at JC Penney. They wanted stuff from LL Bean and The Gap. But we were already buying nice stuff. Walmart would have been cheaper but we understood our daughters need to fit in with their peers.
What did your son get?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
What did your son get?
I don't have a son. I have two daughters in college. They buy their own clothes now.

It did get expensive in middle school and high school. I can't imagine paying premium prices for designer stuff. JC Penney's stock is expensive enough.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-14-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
I don't get it. The entire point to conspicuous consumption is to advertise: I'm so rich that I can afford to waste money on stupid crap.

But the message is entirely lost when you then whine about your kid losing that item, whether it's the latest iPhone or some dumb hat. The social signal is now that you can't afford to waste money at all; that in fact you were just trying to game the system by pretending you were rich enough to waste money on clothes. You're just some poor schlub with a handful of maxed-out credit cards.
There's a reason it's on Fox News.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug K. View Post
How old are you? Calling those wool hats beanies is a fairly recent thing. A real beanie looks like this:

https://archon.wheaton.edu/index.php...ontent&id=5790

or this:

https://www.collectableivy.com/duke-...an-beanie-hat/
Forty-eight. And Australian

Australian beanies in the '40s

Australian beanies in the '60s

Are we ahead of the curve for once? Or is my recent just more recent than your recent?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 AM

I'm so glad I went to school before "fashion" became a big issue for children. Except for a few rich girls (also the only ones who had perms or highlights), everyone wore jeans and a tee shirt or button-up. And I'm not talking Levis or designer tee shirts.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:59 AM

A few years ago I bought two skeins of 100% angora rabbit yarn with little glass beads. It cost me about $60. I made a nice warm hat for myself. I felt guilty about the extravagance. Not any more!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The fuck is that thing?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
I always thought a beanie hat was a kind of beret.
As said above the kids call stocking caps 'beanies' now-a-days.
Yeah, but kids are stupid. It's the burden of their elders to educate them
Old 01-14-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricoteuse View Post
A few years ago I bought two skeins of 100% angora rabbit yarn with little glass beads. It cost me about $60.
Wait...

Did you buy the yarn with little glass beads, or with $60?
Old 01-14-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
What kind of many-armed monstrosity is going to emerge from THAT cocoon in spring?
Probably Ezra Miller.

Last edited by Lightray; 01-14-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
When I was in middle school, my hats were the cost of the yarn to make them, plus the cost of about 20 minutes worth of labor (my mom crochets really fast).
(bolding mine)

Bah! Rich folks. When I was a kid I wore the billed cap that the feed store gave out for free.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A. View Post
Wait...

Did you buy the yarn with little glass beads, or with $60?
I'm bringing wampum back, baby!
Old 01-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's not a toque, this is a toque.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
Leaving the kids, the school and the teachers out of it for a moment, what kind of parent thinks a child should have a $350 hat?
I was gonna say parents who worship at the altar of conspicuous consumption, but typoink beat me to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enipla View Post
The fuck is that thing?
Haute couture. You know -- fashion by designers who deep down inside really hate women.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
That's not a toque, this is a toque.
Now, now. There's no call to stoop to tu toque attacks.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Or the coordinating sucker plunger and gunstick..

"Exterminate! Exterminate!!!"
Definitely a Dalek cocoon.