Old 01-17-2019, 02:10 PM

Gillette's controversial ad -or- I found the incels!

Gillette has an ad asking men to not be jerks. This has not gone over well with a subset of the male population, who see it as a personal attack on each and every one of them. "This sucks! I'm not like that," and "Gillette, a multi-national, has a hell of a lot of nerve accusing every man of being toxic like that," and my favorite, "They want to turn us all gay," because only gay guys treat women with respect, or something.

I don't want to start a board war so I won't link it, though it's easy to find. Just look for the most vile shit you've seen the past few days.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:18 PM

Ha Ha. Might just pick up another pack of blades tomorrow as a thank-you. Although I'm outnumbered 2-1 on the Gillette user front here by the women.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Jays Fan

I don't usually use Gillette, but I just might switch to piss off the dudebros and the incels.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:34 PM

Already a thread in MPSIMS

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb...d.php?t=869050
Old 01-17-2019, 02:36 PM

With a name like "Gillette" you already know it's a namby-pamby macho-man hating company.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:57 PM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

I use Harry's, but I might just break out the old Fusion and buy a couple of cartridges just for old times sake.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:03 PM

The thing is, as a guy who could probably shave my face twice a day, the best handle I've found is the Gillette Venus handle. I just strap regular ol' Mach III blades to it. Works great. Don't know if I'm pissing anyone off or not.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
With a name like "Gillette" you already know it's a namby-pamby macho-man hating company.
The founder's first name was King. Not the name of a delicate flower of masculinity.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:07 PM
BANNED

The ad pissed me off. I don’t want some megacorp full of greedheads who’d sell their own mother for an extra nickel telling me to “be better”.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:15 PM

Do you personally need to be better?

Then shut up.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:19 PM
BANNED

Thats retarded. If I don’t need to be better then I don’t need to be told. If I do need to be better then I don’t want to hear it from a soulless multinational. It’s not that hard.

Last edited by Elmore; 01-17-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:21 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Grab the gusto

Savor life

Kick your dog

And beat your wife

BURMA SHAVE
Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio View Post
The thing is, as a guy who could probably shave my face twice a day, the best handle I've found is the Gillette Venus handle. I just strap regular ol' Mach III blades to it. Works great. Don't know if I'm pissing anyone off or not.
LOL I'll give ya one better. ...I have sensitive skin on my face and I break out horribly after shaving sometimes

After one such incident I went into the mom aND pop pharmacy ando the girl there was horrified and I told her how and why it happened she gave me a sample kit of a Venus razor and a venus branded shaving gel and explained the blades and gel were made differently since they were for shaving the "lady parts"

And I used if for a long time ... sometimes now I still do but I think I got used to shaving ...
Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
Indeed there is, and it's a better one. Get outta here, you louts, and go there!

Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
LOL I'll give ya one better. ...I have sensitive skin on my face and I break out horribly after shaving sometimes

After one such incident I went into the mom aND pop pharmacy ando the girl there was horrified and I told her how and why it happened she gave me a sample kit of a Venus razor and a venus branded shaving gel and explained the blades and gel were made differently since they were for shaving the "lady parts"

And I used if for a long time ... sometimes now I still do but I think I got used to shaving ...
Ah, so you had Venus envy.

<stolen from Firesign Theatre, all rights reserved.>
Old 01-17-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmore View Post
Thats retarded. If I don’t need to be better then I don’t need to be told. If I do need to be better then I don’t want to hear it from a soulless multinational. It’s not that hard.
Not only have you offended women everywhere, you now have offended everyone that is mentally handicapped along with their families.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Indeed there is, and it's a better one. Get outta here, you louts, and go there!

Never mind. That thread has deteriorated into a discussion of shaving. This one can live as long as we keep it about the snowflakes and creeps who are offended by guys--including Terry Crews, the most masculine man on Earth and whose words we should follow if we know what's good for us--telling us to not be jerks.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:03 PM

The Terry Crews clip is my favorite part. He's not just a minor god, he's out there doing good work that I thought it was mostly forgotten. This is a big deal and I'm happy for him.

Aside from that, I watched it three times and I'm missing what exactly is so controversial.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Gillette has an ad asking men to not be jerks. This has not gone over well with a subset of the male population, who see it as a personal attack on each and every one of them. "This sucks! I'm not like that," and "Gillette, a multi-national, has a hell of a lot of nerve accusing every man of being toxic like that," and my favorite, "They want to turn us all gay," because only gay guys treat women with respect, or something.

I don't want to start a board war so I won't link it, though it's easy to find. Just look for the most vile shit you've seen the past few days.
Not just asking them, showing a diverse group of men walking the walk and looking more masculine than the snowflakes ever will.

Thanks for starting this thread, dropzone, and for mentioning Terry Crews. Was that Idris Elba in the first shot? If anyone else spotted a celeb, please point them out.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Little View Post
OK, I watched the clip from that thread and all I can say is that if anyone is offended by that, then anyone is a fucking douchebag. It's an ad saying "Don't be a dick."
If anyone is offended that Gillette, in an attempt to sell razors, is telling anyone not to be a dick, then anyone is a dick and can go fuck themself. With some gillette razors. Hell, they could have made a regular commercial and put some fucking Nickelback music on it or something. That would have been offensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koPmuEyP3a0

Last edited by bobot; 01-17-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:36 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Grab the gusto

Savor life

Kick your dog

And beat your wife

BURMA SHAVE
Was that a real one?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:40 PM

It's an ad saying "these things are wrong. A real man should stand up against them, rather than just letting them pass." And who are the people who are upset? The people who do the wrong things. They claim it's insulting men, since apparently violence and sexism are part of being a man.

I'm glad you made this thread, dropzone, as I had to hold my tongue in the other thread. Pissing off these assholes is a bonus at this point. We need to stop with this fragile masculinity stereotype, and stop pretending that the "real men" are the ones who get offended.

It is funny, BTW, how it inverses when it's about them. When, say, a comic attacks transgender, Asian people, and school shooting survivors, anyone who gets upset is a snowflake.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:42 PM

Quote:
You sure whine a lot. Is it warm where you are? Are you melting?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:44 PM

My brother is very angry about this ad. His argument includes the fact that the ad “penalizes men being men,” and that he equates being manly with “working extra shifts to provide for his family.” He also claims that it’s inappropriate to behave misogynistically. I can’t quite parse how he believes all of those things at the same time.

He’s angry that “they won’t be happy until we’re all butthurt soy boy GameStop ma’ams.” Really frustrating to be related to him when he acts this way in public.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Will you hear it from some rando on a message board? Because you need to be better.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
It's an ad saying "these things are wrong. A real man should stand up against them, rather than just letting them pass." And who are the people who are upset? The people who do the wrong things. They claim it's insulting men, since apparently violence and sexism are part of being a man.

I'm glad you made this thread, dropzone, as I had to hold my tongue in the other thread. Pissing off these assholes is a bonus at this point. We need to stop with this fragile masculinity stereotype, and stop pretending that the "real men" are the ones who get offended.

It is funny, BTW, how it inverses when it's about them. When, say, a comic attacks transgender, Asian people, and school shooting survivors, anyone who gets upset is a snowflake.
Conservativism is an ideology which promotes rugged masculinity by means of insufferable whining.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Conservativism is an ideology which promotes rugged masculinity by means of insufferable whining.
I love this!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 PM

I swear to God if these motherfuckers turn straight edges into the new "fedora" I will be a very angry man with a lot of sharp steel. Your neckbeards will not save you. I am well aware that this makes me part of the problem, but I'm doing my best to make up for it in other ways, and my inner sociopath assures me that the numbers work out for good in the end.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3trew View Post
I swear to God if these motherfuckers turn straight edges into the new "fedora" I will be a very angry man with a lot of sharp steel. Your neckbeards will not save you. I am well aware that this makes me part of the problem, but I'm doing my best to make up for it in other ways, and my inner sociopath assures me that the numbers work out for good in the end.
Sorry but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The "motherfuckers" are the people who think it's ok to justify any kind of abusive behavior by a male with "boys will be boys", or the people who say that's not a justification any more than "oh gosh well I'm just a little girl" is?
Old 01-18-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
The ad pissed me off. I don’t want some megacorp full of greedheads who’d sell their own mother for an extra nickel telling me to “be better”.
Recent join date? Check.

Posting almost exclusive in threads defending assholes, racists, misogynists, and the ilk? Check.

Shows some familiarity with posters and board culture? Check.

Keep those toes warm under that bridge!
Old 01-18-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDibble View Post
Ha Ha. Might just pick up another pack of blades tomorrow as a thank-you. Although I'm outnumbered 2-1 on the Gillette user front here by the women.
Never get a woman a P&G product.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava View Post
Sorry but I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. The "motherfuckers" are the people who think it's ok to justify any kind of abusive behavior by a male with "boys will be boys", or the people who say that's not a justification any more than "oh gosh well I'm just a little girl" is?
The abusers, but from a flippant approach. I like using a straight razor to shave. It seems like exactly the kind of thing the red pill idiots would latch onto as performative masculinity. If that association happens with straight razors as it did for long coats, men's hats and Hawaiian shirts I will be very cross. I am under no illusion this is the actual problem, or even an actual problem. I apologize for the lack of clarity, most of my writing these days is meant for me and I usually understand my own nonsense.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the clarification
Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3trew View Post
I apologize for the lack of clarity, most of my writing these days is meant for me and I usually understand my own nonsense.
For what it's worth, I understood you just fine. It helps that I know the culture you are referring to more than I wish I did.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:03 AM

I didn't. In my culture, old drafters, a straight edge is a tool to help you draw straight lines. It turns out you meant straight razors, which hipsters picked up years ago.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK84 View Post
Never get a woman a P&G product.
The women in question get their own products, thanks. But why on Hastur's xanthous Earth wouldn't I?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you take all advertising this personally? Must be exhausting...

If an advertisement telling you not to be a jackass offends you then there is really only one conclusion. Hint: it's not flattering to you.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

My god, this ad is like an asshole self-own Rorschach test.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:34 AM

Quote:
The women in question get their own products, thanks. But why on Hastur's xanthous Earth wouldn't I?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rely_(brand)

Bunch of fucks.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick View Post
Do you take all advertising this personally? Must be exhausting...

If an advertisement telling you not to be a jackass offends you then there is really only one conclusion. Hint: it's not flattering to you.
Look, its not their place to tell anyone how to act. Especially since they (a) have a history of being sexist themselves and (b) don’t give a shit about sexism and only want to make money. It’s like being told not to be sexist by Trump
Old 01-18-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
You seem to be talking about Gilette and TSS in every one of these threads. Did someone close to you get injured or something? I hope not.

Anyway, looks like they recalled those tampons back in 1980. This is a pretty old complaint.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
You seem to be talking about Gilette and TSS in every one of these threads. Did someone close to you get injured or something? I hope not.

Anyway, looks like they recalled those tampons back in 1980. This is a pretty old complaint.
Are you a P& G or Gillette executive?
Or do female victims of corporate malfeasance only matter to you if you are related to them.

There is a lot more. Price fixing, profiting from slavery and child labour, plus deceptive and unfair trade practices, all of which we can put on the shoulders of P&G.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
P&G produced a product in response to consumer demand, the product proved to be more dangerous than anticipated, and P&G recalled the product when this was discovered.

And the product was only out for 2 years, 40 fucking years ago.

Naah, I don't think I'll be joining your boycott, thanks.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitterSport View Post
Just check AK's general contributions to anything MRA-adjacent...
Old 01-18-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Just check AK's general contributions to anything MRA-adjacent...
“Nanny, come quick, MrDibble’s diaper is soiled, he is throwing things out of his pram again”
Old 01-18-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Are you a P& G or Gillette executive?
Or do female victims of corporate malfeasance only matter to you if you are related to them.

There is a lot more. Price fixing, profiting from slavery and child labour, plus deceptive and unfair trade practices, all of which we can put on the shoulders of P&G.
No, I don't work for those companies. No, it doesn't only matter to me if I'm related to a victim.

Hey, I still don't buy Exxon or Mobil gas because of the Exxon Valdez, so have at it. It just struck me as odd that you go so strongly after this particular company. It would be difficult to find a large multinational that didn't have those kinds of skeletons in its closet, but you boycott who you want to.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
“Nanny, come quick, MrDibble’s diaper is soiled, he is throwing things out of his pram again”

As long as it's a Pampers nappy, motherfucker.

Last edited by MrDibble; 01-18-2019 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Well, that sure makes me think MrDibble is wrong.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:38 PM

Frankly I'm more offended by the SDMB ad for Harry's razors at the bottom of this page, which says "Handsomer, Sharperer, Less Expensiver"
Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuton View Post
Frankly I'm more offended by the SDMB ad for Harry's razors at the bottom of this page, which says "Handsomer, Sharperer, Less Expensiver"
Because their advertising is a lot cheaperer.