Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-18-2019, 02:12 PM
KarlGauss's Avatar
KarlGauss KarlGauss is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between pole and tropic
Posts: 7,801
Pence - just in case you forgot what a hypocritical cry-baby he is

It seems that Mike Pence does actually speak from time to time. HERE is a piece from the execrable Fox News describing how the Vice President (does he get embarrassed hearing the word 'Vice'?) responded to recent news stories about how the 'Christian school' his wife works at discriminates against various minorities.

Yes, I get it. They can discriminate. It's their prerogative.

But what Mike can't do is whine about how "Christian education" is being attacked. Indeed, genuine Christian education is something that would help us all - love of the other, charity, all the selfless values espoused by Christ, are sorely needed.

Christian education is not under attack. Bigotry is.

Fuck you Pence. Right up the ass.
  #2  
Old 01-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Just Asking Questions Just Asking Questions is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 6,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Fuck you Pence. Right up the ass.
I bet he get all tingly when he hears that.
  #3  
Old 01-18-2019, 03:02 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 13,729
OK, I get that a Christian school that has a "no gays" hiring policy is going to be a target of anti-discrimination advocates, but do any of the protesters want their kids going to that school?

If a public company had such a policy, I could understand the outrage, but this is an institution founded for a "select" clientele, Christians. As such, they're going to teach things that won't resonate with non-Christians and non-heteros. Plus, even if they were required to change their admissions policy, the students and administrators aren't going to change their nature just because they're not allowed to discriminate. Just let separation of church and state apply here and stop allowing FOX to turn the Pences into martyrs.
  #4  
Old 01-18-2019, 03:18 PM
ElvisL1ves ElvisL1ves is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The land of the mouse
Posts: 48,863
It's distressing that the hate-driven evangelicals are able to claim the mantle of "Christian" with so little argument, even from those who do try to follow Christ's actual teachings.

Knowed Out, your post would be inarguable if you used "evangelical" instead.
  #5  
Old 01-18-2019, 03:51 PM
Folacin Folacin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North of the River
Posts: 3,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisL1ves View Post
It's distressing that the hate-driven evangelicals are able to claim the mantle of "Christian" with so little argument, even from those who do try to follow Christ's actual teachings.

Knowed Out, your post would be inarguable if you used "evangelical" instead.
Nah, there are progressive evangelicals also (although hard to find, they are quiet - but a straightforward reading of the Bible should make all evangelicals progressive about most things)). They might still discriminate against employees, but I certainly would expect that they would take any students.
  #6  
Old 01-18-2019, 04:38 PM
Typo Negative's Avatar
Typo Negative Typo Negative is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 7th Level of Hell, Ca
Posts: 17,235
Sigh. I cannot see 'Christian Education' and 'up the ass' and not think 'Catholic School'.
__________________
"God hates Facts"

- seen on a bumper sticker in Sacramento Ca
  #7  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:25 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 79,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Christian education is not under attack.
I disagree. Christian education is under attack. And ironically, it's being attacked by people (like Pence) who call themselves Christians.
  #8  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Batano Batano is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 438
I wish someone would ask Pence if Trump's children would be welcome at the school since he is an adulterer.
  #9  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:18 PM
nearwildheaven nearwildheaven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 11,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I disagree. Christian education is under attack. And ironically, it's being attacked by people (like Pence) who call themselves Christians.
The whole Christian RELIGION is under attack, under the same circumstances.
  #10  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 PM
Chronos's Avatar
Chronos Chronos is offline
Charter Member
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The Land of Cleves
Posts: 81,374
Quote:
I wish someone would ask Pence if Trump's children would be welcome at the school since he is an adulterer.
What does that have to do with anything? The Holy Bible never says anything against adultery. It's too busy condemning transsexuality and abortion.
  #11  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:31 PM
Derleth Derleth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 20,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
I bet he get all tingly when he hears that.
Only if he's getting shocked at one of the Re-education Camps he advocates.
  #12  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:07 PM
Dacien Dacien is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 306
David French over at National Review has an absolutely excellent piece on the subject from a orthodox Christian point of view.

Just because you disagree with Christians doesn’t mean they harbor animus against you.
  #13  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:16 PM
Batano Batano is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
What does that have to do with anything? The Holy Bible never says anything against adultery. It's too busy condemning transsexuality and abortion.
and dancing
  #14  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:28 PM
Derleth Derleth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 20,932
Just because someone says their ideology isn't hateful doesn't make it not hateful, especially when it makes them say hateful things.

Or: You don't get to say someone's inherently not worthy of the same respect as the majority and then claim you aren't a bigot.
  #15  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:31 PM
Dacien Dacien is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 306
In order for something to be hateful, I feel like it has to come from a place of hate.
  #16  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:42 PM
Derleth Derleth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 20,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
In order for something to be hateful, I feel like it has to come from a place of hate.
That's incorrect. If someone thinks someone else is lesser than they are, even if they regard it as a bare fact with no emotional content, that thought is still hateful. It will still lead to discrimination and, very likely, violence when the people who are seen as lesser begin to demand their proper place in society. It's impossible to separate the cause and the effect.
  #17  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:46 PM
Dacien Dacien is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 306
I'd argue that a true orthodox Christian adheres to the "all have sinned" passages and does not see themselves as "better" than anyone else. But I suppose this is all treading into proselytization, which really isn't my intent. I just want to offer the perspective that one can be an orthodox Christian for religious reasons, yet harbor no hate towards anyone. Indeed, the latter would be a hallmark trait of what one could consider a good Christian.
  #18  
Old 01-18-2019, 11:54 PM
Moriarty's Avatar
Moriarty Moriarty is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Posts: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
In order for something to be hateful, I feel like it has to come from a place of hate.
However you choose to label it, the impact is the same. There were slave owners (and later, after emancipation, mere bigots) who saw their role as paternalistic, and black people as infantile. It didn’t make their disrespect and degradation any less insidious.
  #19  
Old 01-19-2019, 12:20 AM
Gorsnak Gorsnak is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Saskaboom
Posts: 9,115
Moreover, if Pence is going to be all pious about how it's loving to forbid unrepentant LGBTs or their children from attending his wife's school, then how the hell can he justify supporting an unrepentant serial adulterer, compulsive liar, and well-known crook (wrt Trump's established record of stiffing contractors)? It's all well and good to assert that there's some theoretical principled position of "orthodox Christianity" that resembles American evangelical views (though I'm not certain that it's really very orthodox at all) and that rejects the LGBT community but not out of hate - love the sinner but hate the sin and all that - but you cannot at the same time support the leadership of the least moral man to hold the office of POTUS in the history of the country. Pence is indeed a hypocritical cry-baby.
  #20  
Old 01-19-2019, 06:42 AM
Jeep's Phoenix's Avatar
Jeep's Phoenix Jeep's Phoenix is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,511
When I was growing up, Christian schools (including Catholic schools) in the area had a reputation for having higher academic standards than certain public schools. Considering how many Christian schools have latched on to creationism and other anti-science crap, such as sex-ed that compares non-virgin women to pieces of used chewing gum, I don't think that reputation holds up anymore. I certainly don't remember being taught negative things about LGBT people, abortions, or other hot button topics in Catholic school; heck, there were even some atheists in attendance, and I don't recall anyone in the administration being upset about that at all. What Christian education has turned into in many cases deserves to be called out; it's not doing a very good job of preparing kids for the real world, and it's not exhibiting very Christian behavior, at least in the way I was taught to understand it.

Serious question -- the people I'm related to who are in the same branch of Christianity as the Pences think it's absolutely horrible for a woman to work outside the home, especially if her supervisor is a male (in other words, she's "submitting" to a man who isn't her father or husband). So why is Pence 'allowing' Mother to work outside the home?
  #21  
Old 01-19-2019, 12:48 PM
k9bfriender k9bfriender is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
I just want to offer the perspective that one can be an orthodox Christian for religious reasons, yet harbor no hate towards anyone. Indeed, the latter would be a hallmark trait of what one could consider a good Christian.
Absolutely agree. I've met many, many Christians of many denominations who harbored no hate. This was not due to their religion, but due to the way that those people are. I would even venture to say that the vast, vast majority of people who call themselves christian have little or no hate towards anyone.

However, there are people who do harbor hate. And those people find refuge in using religion as an excuse. "I don't hate [group of people that is being discriminated against], it's just that god hates them, and he will send me to hell if I treat them with respect or dignity."

The good christians do get a bad image from this. People are doing odorous things in the name of your god, even if it is a minority. Now, a good christian *could* call out these people, and say that that is not what they believe, but, it is, in many cases, exactly what they believe, so they can't. They don't hate people for being gay, but they consider being gay to be enough or an immorality that they also will not call out the people who do. They provide cover for haters, so that, if someone criticizes someone for being hateful or discriminatory, they step back and try to claim that we are talking about everyone who shares their faith, not just those who share the hate.

So long as christianity provides a fig leaf for cover for bigots and haters, it will be judged along with those it protects. The catholic church, for instance, isn't thought poorly of because it is thought that all clergy are child molestors, or even most are, or even a significant percentage. It doesn't matter how small the percentage is, however, if they protect them. It is the giving of cover to "evil" members, not the existence of "evil" members in a group taht condemns it.

If you are a christian and you don't want to be thought of the same as the the people who call themselves christian as they make the news with their hate, then call them out. Publicly state that these are not the teachings of Christ, that these are not the teachings that you follow. Make it known that you follow the guidance of "love your neighbor", and as such, do not condone treating people differently based on who they are, that you are a christian that welcomes an order for a SSM cake, that you are a school that welcomes LGTBQ students and staff.

To do otherwise is to continue to provide cover for people who use your religion for the purpose of justifying their hate.
  #22  
Old 01-19-2019, 01:07 PM
monstro monstro is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 19,993
"Christians are persecuted, vilified, and discriminated against for their beliefs. Why do people hate us so? Sure, we persecute, vilify, and discriminate against others. But that's different. So don't hate us for hating you, haters!"

-The Pence family, probably.
  #23  
Old 01-19-2019, 01:18 PM
Steve MB Steve MB is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 13,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Moreover, if Pence is going to be all pious about how it's loving to forbid unrepentant LGBTs or their children from attending his wife's school, then how the hell can he justify supporting an unrepentant serial adulterer, compulsive liar, and well-known crook (wrt Trump's established record of stiffing contractors)? It's all well and good to assert that there's some theoretical principled position of "orthodox Christianity" that resembles American evangelical views (though I'm not certain that it's really very orthodox at all) and that rejects the LGBT community but not out of hate - love the sinner but hate the sin and all that - but you cannot at the same time support the leadership of the least moral man to hold the office of POTUS in the history of the country. Pence is indeed a hypocritical cry-baby.
This brings us to the fundamental flaw in Pence's "religious" justification. The moment he starts applying it selectively (as he clearly does here), he loses any claim that he is simply following God's will -- he is, in fact, following his will by applying certain rules and not others, and the fact that cherry-picked bits of a religious document happen to coincide with his preferences becomes mere irrelevant coincidence.
__________________
The Internet: Nobody knows if you're a dog. Everybody knows if you're a jackass.
  #24  
Old 01-19-2019, 01:26 PM
ctnguy ctnguy is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
OK, I get that a Christian school that has a "no gays" hiring policy is going to be a target of anti-discrimination advocates, but do any of the protesters want their kids going to that school?

If a public company had such a policy, I could understand the outrage, but this is an institution founded for a "select" clientele, Christians. As such, they're going to teach things that won't resonate with non-Christians and non-heteros. Plus, even if they were required to change their admissions policy, the students and administrators aren't going to change their nature just because they're not allowed to discriminate. Just let separation of church and state apply here and stop allowing FOX to turn the Pences into martyrs.
I don't imagine any of the protesters would send their kids to such a school. But there are LGBT children of evangelical families who may be sent to a school like this one and suffer from their attitudes. Which is why I think that, even if you take a "it's your choice to do business with them" kind of attitude to discrimination by private institutions generally, schools are different because the choice is usually made by parents while the consequences are felt by the children.

Last edited by ctnguy; 01-19-2019 at 01:28 PM.
  #25  
Old 01-19-2019, 01:39 PM
OttoDaFe's Avatar
OttoDaFe OttoDaFe is offline
Sluice Gate Tender, FCD #3
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Soviet of Washington
Posts: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Moreover, if Pence is going to be all pious about how it's loving to forbid unrepentant LGBTs or their children from attending his wife's school, then how the hell can he justify supporting an unrepentant serial adulterer, compulsive liar, and well-known crook (wrt Trump's established record of stiffing contractors)? It's all well and good to assert that there's some theoretical principled position of "orthodox Christianity" that resembles American evangelical views (though I'm not certain that it's really very orthodox at all) and that rejects the LGBT community but not out of hate - love the sinner but hate the sin and all that - but you cannot at the same time support the leadership of the least moral man to hold the office of POTUS in the history of the country. Pence is indeed a hypocritical cry-baby.
This brings us to the fundamental flaw in Pence's "religious" justification. The moment he starts applying it selectively (as he clearly does here), he loses any claim that he is simply following God's will -- he is, in fact, following his will by applying certain rules and not others, and the fact that cherry-picked bits of a religious document happen to coincide with his preferences becomes mere irrelevant coincidence.
There's also the Trump as King Cyrus scenario, which (as ThemlaLou noted) has been making the rounds in certain "Christian" circles. If one accepts this scenario, the fact that Trump is "an unrepentant serial adulterer, compulsive liar, and well-known crook" is irrelevant — one must support him because he's been chosen by the Lord to bring about the Lord's kingdom.
  #26  
Old 01-19-2019, 06:47 PM
KarlGauss's Avatar
KarlGauss KarlGauss is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between pole and tropic
Posts: 7,801
Part of my rage at Pence is, I suppose, directed at those Christians who accept the King Cyrus trope and have thereby used it to justify sins; sins committed by others.

Non-Cyrus-believing-Christians have a particular responsibility - an obligation - to call out Trump and his enablers.

Last edited by KarlGauss; 01-19-2019 at 06:48 PM.
  #27  
Old 01-19-2019, 07:19 PM
Budget Player Cadet's Avatar
Budget Player Cadet Budget Player Cadet is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 8,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
David French over at National Review has an absolutely excellent piece on the subject from a orthodox Christian point of view.

Just because you disagree with Christians doesn’t mean they harbor animus against you.
Honestly, it's a vapid and senseless take that takes the criticism of Karen Pence and tries its very hardest to just completely ignore the meat of it. It never once actually mentions what Pence's school actually advocates - because that might actually make it clear that we're not just talking about fluff. This is a school which discriminates against LGBT students and faculty. This discrimination has real consequences for LGBT kids, who have to remain closeted, and who are left in a position where to even talk about their sexuality could get them kicked out of school. Oh, and did I mention that one of the best correlations for suicide in LGBT youth has to do with acceptance from those around them? Yeah, that's a thing.

And then you get this bloviating blowhard acting like it's totally unreasonable to treat that as hatred.

Fuck him. You don't get to paper over your abuse of people by saying, "No, it's out of love, see?" Nobody fucking cares if you're being abusive and discriminatory out of some horribly misguided "love" or because your ideology is intentionally cruel and evil towards others. In the long run, it does not and never has made any difference. It didn't make a difference for the heretics burned at the stake or the children Andrea Yates killed, for that matter. Even if every single person at that school held no hatred in their hearts for gay people (which I seriously doubt), their policies remain grossly harmful and discriminatory. Why do they get a pass on that?
  #28  
Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 PM
MortSahlFan MortSahlFan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: US
Posts: 198
Pence is worse than Trump, because I think he actually believes the shit he says. Trump has flip-flopped so many times over the years I have no idea what he believes. As long as it makes him look good. I always had this hope the Democrats would flatter him by signing Infrastructure bills, since Trump was mentioning this every other week. Good thing they did some criminal justice reform.

It bothers me that self-described Democrats or liberals are PRO-war? If Trump really follows through bringing all the troops home, I'll support him in my head in 2020, since I have a feeling the nominee will be an inch to the left of the GOP.
  #29  
Old 01-19-2019, 07:52 PM
enipla enipla is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 13,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
David French over at National Review has an absolutely excellent piece on the subject from a orthodox Christian point of view.

Just because you disagree with Christians doesn’t mean they harbor animus against you.
Had to stop reading when he mentioned morality.

Heads up. I don't disagree with the fundamentals of Christianity, not at all. As an atheist, I follow the basic tenants of Christianity. I don't need a church to do this. My life has shown me that I, an atheist, is a better 'Christian' than most Christians are. They seem to think that they have an excuse to be assholes 'cause they go to church on Sunday.
__________________
I don't live in the middle of nowhere, but I can see it from here.
  #30  
Old 01-20-2019, 12:21 AM
Lord Feldon's Avatar
Lord Feldon Lord Feldon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 6,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
In order for something to be hateful, I feel like it has to come from a place of hate.
I actually kind of agree. What matters is the actions of people and the state, not the feelings in people's hearts. Framing discriminatory ideologies as "hatred" can be distracting, because it focuses on how to change hearts and minds rather than on how to enact and enforce more just policies. The former isn't unimportant but it's certainly not as important as latter.

You see some of this whenever Christians demand "religious freedom" exemptions so they can operate segregated businesses. People go "oh, but why would you want to shop somewhere where the shopkeeper HATES you, you should go somewhere else" as if the main problem is the state of their soul rather than the actions of their business.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 01-20-2019 at 12:25 AM.
  #31  
Old 01-20-2019, 12:40 AM
Derleth Derleth is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Missoula, Montana, USA
Posts: 20,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Feldon View Post
You see some of this whenever Christians demand "religious freedom" exemptions so they can operate segregated businesses. People go "oh, but why would you want to shop somewhere where the shopkeeper HATES you, you should go somewhere else" as if the main problem is the state of their soul rather than the actions of their business.
This is the difference between public policy, which is about breaking game-theoretic failure modes, and public morality, which is about making a society which is pleasant to live in. The former feeds into the latter, because you can hardly improve public morality when everyone's locked into segregated lunch counters and denying people contraceptives, but they're separate issues and must be solved different ways by different people.

And the conservatives know this. They know that public policy shapes public morality. That's why they go so hard against any attempt to make public policy more in line with existing anti-discrimination trends.
  #32  
Old 01-20-2019, 12:48 AM
don't mind me don't mind me is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
I'd argue that a true orthodox Christian adheres to the "all have sinned" passages and does not see themselves as "better" than anyone else. But I suppose this is all treading into proselytization, which really isn't my intent. I just want to offer the perspective that one can be an orthodox Christian for religious reasons, yet harbor no hate towards anyone. Indeed, the latter would be a hallmark trait of what one could consider a good Christian.
It's hard to argue that one doesn't see oneself as better when you exclude the "other." It's also hard to claim to be a Christian when one doesn't take a lesson from the people Jesus hung with, in life and in death.
  #33  
Old 01-20-2019, 02:25 AM
coffeecat's Avatar
coffeecat coffeecat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 1,674
So. Karen Pence took a job as an art teacher at Immanuel Christian School, an institution that will expell or fire you for having or supporting gay sex.* This is a matter of national public interest because of coverture. The media interviewed Mike Pence, and he despicably did not throw his wife under the bus. In a surprise move, Pence failed to repudiate what he's publicly believed for decades. Millions are suddenly shocked and appalled by the status quo. What Marlon Bundo thinks about all this is not known.

Historically, fighting someone else's religion because it's evil and abhorrent works about as well as gay conversion therapy. When a few draftees said they couldn't be soldiers, because it was against their faith, America didn't say, "Fuck you, coward! You dishonor our troops! USA! USA! USA!" It bent over backwards to accommodate them and let them be C.O.s. We thought freedom of religion mattered, even religions that said something everyone at the time thought was outrageous. The Republic did not fall, and dogs and cats still lived apart. I think we should bend over backwards to accommodate both conservative evangelicals and gays, if at all possible, and not call anyone out as a heretic, even if they're wrong, wrong, wrong.

*They'll also fire you for straight sex with anyone but your spouse. It's not so much the gay, they just don't like this newfangled 1960s free love. Students and their families are also required to regularly attend a Bible-believing church, and parents are obligated to pray earnestly for the school on a regular basis. They're hard core.
  #34  
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM
Batano Batano is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 438
Presumably, accepting Jesus as your savior is as important, if not more so, than who you have sex with. Could Mrs Pence''s school not allow Jews?
  #35  
Old 01-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Euphonious Polemic Euphonious Polemic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 11,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post

I think we should bend over backwards to accommodate both conservative evangelicals and gays, if at all possible, and not call anyone out as a heretic, even if they're wrong, wrong, wrong.
I agree about accommodating everyone... to a point. When religion starts to preach hatred and intolerance towards other groups - that's where I draw the line. I don't know how much Pence's particular religion preaches hatred and intolerance towards gay people, but I know many religious groups do this.

I find myself in agreement with Karl Popper:

Quote:
Less well known is the paradox of tolerance: Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. 
  #36  
Old 01-20-2019, 12:18 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
It seems that Mike Pence does actually speak from time to time. HERE is a piece from the execrable Fox News describing how the Vice President (does he get embarrassed hearing the word 'Vice'?) responded to recent news stories about how the 'Christian school' his wife works at discriminates against various minorities.

Yes, I get it. They can discriminate. It's their prerogative.

But what Mike can't do is whine about how "Christian education" is being attacked. Indeed, genuine Christian education is something that would help us all - love of the other, charity, all the selfless values espoused by Christ, are sorely needed.

Christian education is not under attack. Bigotry is.

Fuck you Pence. Right up the ass.
This. People aren't attacking "christian" anything (though I AM sick and tired of "christian" this and "christian" that all the fucking time).

They are attacking bigoted assholes. If those bigoted assholes try to hide behind "religion", fuck 'em anyway. Then they're just cowardly bigoted assholes.
  #37  
Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 PM
SteveG1 SteveG1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Van Nuys CA
Posts: 14,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
What does that have to do with anything? The Holy Bible never says anything against adultery. It's too busy condemning transsexuality and abortion.
AND adultery. Oh, THEIR bible. Never mind
  #38  
Old 01-20-2019, 03:47 PM
Knowed Out's Avatar
Knowed Out Knowed Out is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Kakkalakee
Posts: 13,729
Interesting article from a gay alumni of Karen Pence's school.

I don't see these people changing their attitude towards gays any time soon. I say quit giving them so much attention and let them fester in their personal swamp.
  #39  
Old 01-20-2019, 06:13 PM
Guest-starring: Id!'s Avatar
Guest-starring: Id! Guest-starring: Id! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 3,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
I say quit giving them so much attention and let them fester in their personal swamp.
I say throw the klieg lights on their grossness - a sort of media pillocking. They won't be basking in the attention, nor will they be trying to use the attention as some sort of misguided recruitment aid; they will, instead, (and should) be recoiling, as outed monsters, trying to hide behind their fraudulent shield of moral recititude - to no fucking avail.
  #40  
Old 01-20-2019, 07:26 PM
KarlGauss's Avatar
KarlGauss KarlGauss is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between pole and tropic
Posts: 7,801
Great link, thanks.

After reading about Pence's wife's school, Covington, Kavanaugh, and even one in my own city, you really have to wonder what's going on in some 'religious' schools.
  #41  
Old 01-20-2019, 07:33 PM
Czarcasm's Avatar
Czarcasm Czarcasm is online now
Charter Member
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 59,379
Today, Pence compared Trump to MLK.

fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckFUCKITYFUCK.
  #42  
Old 01-20-2019, 07:35 PM
raventhief's Avatar
raventhief raventhief is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowed Out View Post
Interesting article from a gay alumni of Karen Pence's school.

I don't see these people changing their attitude towards gays any time soon. I say quit giving them so much attention and let them fester in their personal swamp.
It's the children who go there and thus have no support at home OR at school that worry me.
  #43  
Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 PM
coffeecat's Avatar
coffeecat coffeecat is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
I agree about accommodating everyone... to a point. When religion starts to preach hatred and intolerance towards other groups - that's where I draw the line. I don't know how much Pence's particular religion preaches hatred and intolerance towards gay people, but I know many religious groups do this.

I find myself in agreement with Karl Popper:
I said, "if at all possible," and if you bend over too far backwards, you'll tip over. How far depends on your personal center of gravity.

I oppose letting Aztecs rip out people's hearts on the Boston Common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
Know whatcha call that? Theater!
Sacrifice a chicken to a loa? Sure. Carry your kirpan on an airplane? Definitely. Gays are sinners, just like everyone else? Good enough. Won't sell a wedding cake to two men? I'm on the fence. Won't let your sick child have a blood transfusion? I'm very glad I'm not a judge who has to make decisions like that.
I suppose I'm done.
  #44  
Old 01-21-2019, 01:14 AM
EddyTeddyFreddy's Avatar
EddyTeddyFreddy EddyTeddyFreddy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Exurbia, No'thuh Bawst'n
Posts: 13,165
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9bfriender View Post
Absolutely agree. I've met many, many Christians of many denominations who harbored no hate. This was not due to their religion, but due to the way that those people are. I would even venture to say that the vast, vast majority of people who call themselves christian have little or no hate towards anyone.

However, there are people who do harbor hate. And those people find refuge in using religion as an excuse. "I don't hate [group of people that is being discriminated against], it's just that god hates them, and he will send me to hell if I treat them with respect or dignity."

The good christians do get a bad image from this. People are doing odorous things in the name of your god, even if it is a minority. Now, a good christian *could* call out these people, and say that that is not what they believe, but, it is, in many cases, exactly what they believe, so they can't. They don't hate people for being gay, but they consider being gay to be enough or an immorality that they also will not call out the people who do. They provide cover for haters, so that, if someone criticizes someone for being hateful or discriminatory, they step back and try to claim that we are talking about everyone who shares their faith, not just those who share the hate.

So long as christianity provides a fig leaf for cover for bigots and haters, it will be judged along with those it protects. The catholic church, for instance, isn't thought poorly of because it is thought that all clergy are child molestors, or even most are, or even a significant percentage. It doesn't matter how small the percentage is, however, if they protect them. It is the giving of cover to "evil" members, not the existence of "evil" members in a group taht condemns it.

If you are a christian and you don't want to be thought of the same as the the people who call themselves christian as they make the news with their hate, then call them out. Publicly state that these are not the teachings of Christ, that these are not the teachings that you follow. Make it known that you follow the guidance of "love your neighbor", and as such, do not condone treating people differently based on who they are, that you are a christian that welcomes an order for a SSM cake, that you are a school that welcomes LGTBQ students and staff.

To do otherwise is to continue to provide cover for people who use your religion for the purpose of justifying their hate.
^^^^ This, absolutely.
  #45  
Old 01-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Pardel-Lux's Avatar
Pardel-Lux Pardel-Lux is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
What does that have to do with anything? The Holy Bible never says anything against adultery. It's too busy condemning transsexuality and abortion.
It's been a long time, but I remember something about adulterers in the New Testament that went along the lines of throwing stones at them, but only if you yourself were without sin (John 8:1-20; 2 Chronicles 1:1-17; 2 Chronicles 2:1-16; Zechariah 14). But the thing about transsexuality has evaded me, pray tell: where do I find that?
__________________
‘To a wise man, the whole earth is open, because the true country of a virtuous soul is the entire universe.’ Democritus
  #46  
Old 01-21-2019, 06:58 PM
Dandan Dandan is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 36
Right on, Gorsnak (#19), perfectly put. And as for Dacien (#12), at the opening photograph I see a thought balloon over Pence's head: NOT ON THE LIPS!!!

Although "thought" may be pitching it a little high.

I apologize for not being able to move just the link - poor excuse here for a former programmer.

Dan
  #47  
Old 01-21-2019, 06:58 PM
KarlGauss's Avatar
KarlGauss KarlGauss is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Between pole and tropic
Posts: 7,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
It's been a long time, but I remember something about adulterers in the New Testament that went along the lines of throwing stones at them, but only if you yourself were without sin (John 8:1-20; 2 Chronicles 1:1-17; 2 Chronicles 2:1-16; Zechariah 14). But the thing about transsexuality has evaded me, pray tell: where do I find that?
Just so I'm clear, let me ask: Are you saying that you support Christian schools that tolerate and promote hate against transsexual individuals? And, that such practices by the schools embody Christ's teachings?

Last edited by KarlGauss; 01-21-2019 at 06:59 PM.
  #48  
Old 01-22-2019, 12:40 AM
andros andros is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Dejagore
Posts: 10,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardel-Lux View Post
It's been a long time, but I remember something about adulterers in the New Testament that went along the lines of throwing stones at them, but only if you yourself were without sin (John 8:1-20; 2 Chronicles 1:1-17; 2 Chronicles 2:1-16; Zechariah 14). But the thing about transsexuality has evaded me, pray tell: where do I find that?
Chronos was indulging in sarcasm. He was making a snarky point that the bible does not mention transsexuality or abortion, even though many "bible believing" Christians condemn them, and very explicitly does address adultery, which Mr. Pence does not feel is an issue in re his boss.
  #49  
Old 01-22-2019, 02:55 AM
Pardel-Lux's Avatar
Pardel-Lux Pardel-Lux is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlGauss View Post
Just so I'm clear, let me ask: Are you saying that you support Christian schools that tolerate and promote hate against transsexual individuals? And, that such practices by the schools embody Christ's teachings?
I am tempted to answer that it depends on how much you hate the little bastards, but as it is all too easy to misunderstand what I write, I will simply say no.
Quote:
Andros: Chronos was indulging in sarcasm.
So was I.
__________________
‘To a wise man, the whole earth is open, because the true country of a virtuous soul is the entire universe.’ Democritus
  #50  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Gyrate Gyrate is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Greater Croydonia
Posts: 22,414
Ah, this argument, which I have heard in all sorts of variants:

"Sorry but it's not me - it's God who's bigoted against you! I'm just doing what He says! If it were up to me, I'd totally be fine with you being gay/trans/black/female/foreign/etc but hey, what can I do about it?"

It has yet to convince me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
In order for something to be hateful, I feel like it has to come from a place of hate.
While I understand your point, it is thus that the behaviors of ordinary Germans during WWII, who did not persecute Jews directly but turned a deliberate blind eye to what was happening to them, were justified. People hurt one another out of hatred, but more often out of ignorance and fear. To those being hurt, there is little difference.
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@straightdope.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Copyright © 2018 STM Reader, LLC.

 
Copyright © 2017