Old 01-18-2019, 04:42 PM

The Bad Family is expelled from New Zealand

The tourists from hell* wreak havoc on the tiny nation.

*And yeah, I also guessed wrong about their nationality.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackmannii View Post
*And yeah, I also guessed wrong about their nationality.
Well, yeah; the English ones are normally attempting to trash Spain instead.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
I blame Peter Jackson.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
To be fair, we suspect that many of the "English" tourists are actually from other places, but once they're drunk enough and trying to crack heads open (their own or those of others), we don't care whose they are: we just want them out of our hands.

Regarding the article, a unicorn onesie? On a person who already gets measured vertically? That alone should be a crime!
Old 01-18-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

From Auckland "all the way" to Hamilton? About 120km with nothing of note in between. Barely worth mentioning.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuanoLad View Post
From Auckland "all the way" to Hamilton? About 120km with nothing of note in between. Barely worth mentioning.
Won't somebody please think of the sheep?
Old 01-19-2019, 07:01 AM

Every AirB&B operators nightmare.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

And no one ever mentions the good visitors. November of 2013 my wife and I were on vacation in New Zealand, we were towards the end of a 2 week drive around the south island. We had stopped in the small town of Lake Tekapo, my wife wanted some pictures of a church near the lake. We arrived at the church just as a wedding party was finishing up. A few minutes later 2 busloads of Japanese tourists pulled into the church parking lot. They poured out of the buses, most with largish tablets taking pictures. Soon they had surrounded the wedding party and they became the focus of their cameras. The young Kiwi couple were happy to oblige. A couple of older Japanese gentlemen went among the rest of their group collection money and gave it to the newlyweds as a gift. That was one of the very cool moments of that vacation, I'll bet the young couple will never forget it.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
"Japanese tourists are some of New Zealand's highest-spending visitors and encouraging more to travel to New Zealand has benefits for both the airline and the country's tourism industry," (the Air New Zealand general manager) said.

The airline had a target to double visits from Japan by 2019....

The launch in Japan of movie The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in late February was likely to increase interest, he said.
http://stuff.co.nz/travel/destinatio...anese-visitors
Old 01-19-2019, 03:42 PM

Is this real? This article seems like something out of the Onion. Something like those killer clown attacks a while back.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Is this real? This article seems like something out of the Onion. Something like those killer clown attacks a while back.
...100% completely real. Its been fairly astonishing watching it play out in real time here: every day a new story about "the bad family", each just slightly worse than the one before.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:54 PM

Somebody should have kicked their asses.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer72 View Post
And no one ever mentions the good visitors.
Why should they? Why should anyone get a special mention for doing the least it takes to be a decent human being?
Old 01-19-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
Why should they? Why should anyone get a special mention for doing the least it takes to be a decent human being?
For some of us, it takes remarkable fortitude.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:41 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member

For some reason I find that article to be delightful.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:06 AM

Quote:
I've encountered several instances of tourists whose clueless rudeness was only surpassed by their rude cluelessness; sometimes they're not even foreign ones. The kind of people that you'd think were exaggerated if you saw them in a movie. Nope, they're real and they've got the right to vote.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
I blame Peter Jackson.
They were looking for fellow orcs?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM

I'll take your word that they're real, but I didn't question the veracity of the story because I didn't think people would behave so rudely. I questioned the veracity because I found it unlikely that New Zealand's news media would spontaneously follow a single tourist family around hoping they would do rude things. It seems like a set up.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:19 PM

Errrr... some English tourists can be dead frightening. Those Scouse lads grow big. Americans are full of hot air and lite beer. Hooligans arn't.

Edit: And i put Scouse in there before I read the article.

Last edited by Dale Sams; 01-20-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:12 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

Is it true that New Zealanders "...actively despise every single tourist who dares to come and enjoy all the stuff we promised was so great..."? Or is that a bit of hyperbole added for comedic intent?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acsenray View Post
I have always felt if the media spent more time on the good and less on the bad, people would think doing good things would be the norm. Unfortunately, too many people, especially here in the US, think being a dick is normal and should be accepted. I would bet there are some dipwads out there somewhere planning a trip to New Zealand just so they can top what these fucktards did.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
Is it true that New Zealanders "...actively despise every single tourist who dares to come and enjoy all the stuff we promised was so great..."? Or is that a bit of hyperbole added for comedic intent?
I think that's true of the locals at every tourist destination on the planet.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
My wife and I were welcomed with open arms everywhere we went while in New Zealand. We were invited to breakfast one morning by the neighbors of the Airbnb where we stayed in Auckland, the invitation was based solely on their fascination Americans. Besides leaving with a full stomach, we now have some new friends we correspond with on a regular basis. They were absolutely thrilled when we told them we are coming back this next December, we have a place to stay in Auckland as their guests.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:51 PM

I think Kiwis would be bored of my opinions about how its all Bread and Circuses and vocal minorities, rather than having strong tribalist opinions....but I could be wrong.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I'll take your word that they're real, but I didn't question the veracity of the story because I didn't think people would behave so rudely. I questioned the veracity because I found it unlikely that New Zealand's news media would spontaneously follow a single tourist family around hoping they would do rude things. It seems like a set up.
...there was nothing "spontaneous" about it. The first story that rolled in: the littering at the beach with the video of the young boy making a threat, was a mildly amusing human interest story that featured prominently on the news because it was fucking funny. People and businesses that interacted with the family saw the story and they contacted the media to tell them what happened to them. The media reported that and it became a bigger story. Then the media started following them around: but at this stage the "crime wave" was effectively over.

There was no set up.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I would hope it's sarcasm.

Simply taking holidays locally in NZ I've come across many tourists over the years who are just enjoying their trips and have had a number of pleasant interactions. Being in IT I've also had the opportunity to work alongside quite a few people here on work visas, as well as recent immigrants, and other locals and I have been keen to share our favourite sightseeing destinations with them so they can get to know the country.

I know I want those that are heading home to have great memories of NZ, and those that are living here now to love the place as much as I do.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:20 PM

The vast majority of the 2 million tourists who arrive here each year behave themselves and are welcomed with open arms. We save the full on stalking and harassment for only the most objectionable.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Oh My! Haven't you heard? In a PC world, violence is no longer allowed. Everyone else is supposed to ignore the boorish behavior until the boors decide to go away.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorhinge View Post
Oh My! Haven't you heard? In a PC world, violence is no longer allowed. Everyone else is supposed to ignore the boorish behavior until the boors decide to go away.
Violence aside, the behavior has not been ignored; one of the group has already been prosecuted on shoplifting charges (and police in Hamilton made them comply with NZ vehicle / child safety laws before sending them on their way). I think they've also been refused service some places on grounds of the news reports.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:22 AM

Right now the New Zealand Herald has a breaking news crawl on their mobile site just to let everyone know they got a parking ticket at the airport and not all of them have left the country.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:01 AM

Did Chevy Chase get the film rights to this story? ;-)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 AM

I'm surprised they weren't prosecuted for the long string of other misdemeanors and thefts (and dine-and-dash is theft), to be frank. Being a rude asshole may not be a crime, but a lot of the other stuff they did was.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I don't know any Maori but the Samoans I have been in contact with -- at least the males -- seem to come in Large and Extra Large.

Just sayin.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrate View Post
I'm surprised they weren't prosecuted for the long string of other misdemeanors and thefts (and dine-and-dash is theft), to be frank. Being a rude asshole may not be a crime, but a lot of the other stuff they did was.
It was probably cheaper to just chuck /em out. Besides, where do you stash the nine-year old when mom and dad are in gaol?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post

It was probably cheaper to just chuck /em out. Besides, where do you stash the nine-year old when mom and dad are in gaol?
Send him over to the States! We got camps here for that!
Old 01-23-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
I think that's true of the locals at every tourist destination on the planet.
Nah, only when they're assholes. There are some people who think that if they're abroad it's ok to up their everyday jerkishness to orbital levels; for some reason the locals dislike that.

Last edited by Nava; 01-23-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

Quote:
I question because everyone know that New Zealand is too civilized to have a Burger King.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:25 AM
KB not found. Press any key
Charter Member

I thought the English used two fingers for your standard rude gesture.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Certainly wasn’t my experience. The worst attitude I encountered during my whole stay was from a drugstore cashier in Auckland; she wasn’t by any means rude, just gave me standard teenage wage-drudge apathy. While hiking on one of the islands in the bay, I wandered into a man’s backyard; he came out to chase me off, and we ended up having a half hour conversation about the election of George W Bush, which had occurred the night before.

I left New Zealand thinking that you’d have to put a gun to her mother’s head to get a Kiwi to be rude to you.

Last edited by Slow Moving Vehicle; 01-23-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 AM

Payback time.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...290c7f1ab9d88d

So listen up, New Zealand. If you don't stop attacking our tourists we will send more like these.

Last edited by BenedictusXIV; 01-23-2019 at 11:15 AM.