Old 01-18-2019, 08:17 PM

The iiandyiiii guide to white supremacists and their enablers/tolerators

Quote:
Originally posted by iiandyiiii:
I find myself constitutionally incapable of standing alongside tacit supporters and tolerators of white supremacism (there are indeed a few in this thread, based on my reading of present and past posts) and shit on someone who appears to me to be an angry black man. I'm not sure about some of Huey's posts, but I don't believe I'm qualified to sit in any sort of judgment, even just on a message board, of an angry black man, in today's America.

White supremacism is still, by far, the biggest enemy. It's still, by far, the worst thing in America. And the biggest threat to Americans. Focusing on the flaws of a black man who may well be a highly flawed individual, but still quite likely (in this America!) has pretty damn good reason for being angry, IMO is providing a small but still real bit of rhetorical aid and comfort to white supremacism.

Which doesn't mean no criticism, but IMO a lot in this thread is going well beyond the likely reasonable "hey, you're being an idiot about autism", and crossing into that realm of aiding white supremacism. Especially when you're laughing at Huey right alongside supporters and/or tolerators of white supremacism.

Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally posted by iiandyiiii:
I'm not advocating promoting any sort of racism or bigotry or prejudice. I'm just saying that, IMO, standing alongside white supremacists and their enablers/tolerators in mocking/attacking a black guy aids and helps racism, bigotry, and prejudice. And thus I'm not going to do it, and I'll urge others to also refrain from doing it.
Quoting from this thread which is up to 7 pages now. The emphasized portions are courtesy of yours truly and impetus for this thread. These words carry a lot of weight with some and could use their own thread.

Well, iiandyiiii, I do not really care if your reading has me estimated as a white supremacist, one of the enablers, or one of the others who could follow your advice. (Hell, maybe you even have me on Ignore.) By all means though, feel free to name away and state your case.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:33 PM
BANNED

I donít get what he means by white supremism
Old 01-18-2019, 08:38 PM

They're a cover band. Girl group.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

It's like regular whiteness, but with guacamole and sour cream.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 PM

These Huey threads are so deeply interesting that I've managed to completely wean myself off amb
Old 01-18-2019, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Don't have much to say except that the quote from Eyes on the Andes in the OP pretty neatly encapsulates why I think that thread is mostly bullshit.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:24 PM

1 1/2 c (180 grams) powdered sugar
1/3 c (35 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch salt
1-2 large egg whites at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c (90 grams) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (355 degrees F). In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa, and salt. Add vanilla extract and egg white and whisk until you obtain a thick but moist batter. Add second egg white if needed to keep a loose batter. Fold in the chocolate chips. Scoop batter onto the parchment-lined baking sheet with enough space between each to spread. Bake in 180 degree C (355 F) oven until tops are glossy and they begin to crack, 12-14 min. Let cool completely before removing from parchment.

Seriously bomb.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:25 AM

Ooooooooh! I love mac N cheese!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:49 AM

I see no trolling here. Like it or not, iiandyiiii is defending a racist, ableist shitstain of a human being. He's pulling out the tricks that I call others out on.

Notice how he didn't provide a counterargument to anything anyone said. He just implied an ulterior motive. It can't be that we are actually upset at him for the vile things he has said. It must be white supremacy. Sure, he says "some" to give plausible deniability, but he doesn't name a single white supremacist argument. That's not actually different than those who try to argue, for instance, that we're all really for open borders or want to take away their guns.

Now I'm giving him a bit of slack due to my personal history with him, and knowing he's a decent guy. I've invited him to point out the actual white supremacy, and to argue against people, while also condemning the vile stuff that Huey Freedman has said.

I hope he does it. I've already lost a lot of respect for him over how much he's bent over backwards for that asshole in the past. Still, most other Dopers who were willing to give him a chance have clued in to who Huey Freedman really is. Even an angry black man can be a vile human being who is only here to try to hurt those who aren't like him.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness View Post
Don't have much to say except that the quote from Eyes on the Andes in the OP pretty neatly encapsulates why I think that thread is mostly bullshit.
You're allowed to care about multiple things in the world, even if one thing is less important than another thing. Stunningly bigoted posts by a self-identified black person may not be as harmful as institutional prejudice or white supremacism, but it's worth pitting nonetheless.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

This was posted in the other thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Covfefe emailed my personal email and said that he's taking a break from this board, and gave me permission to mention this.
I figured this would be well mentioned in this thread started by Covfefe, who probably won't be coming back here either.

For the record, I am not at all a fan of that other Pit thread.

I'm not copying here iiandyiiii's empty moral grandstanding or lazy abdication of intellectual responsibility, where he's "not sure" about some of the posts. Sheer laziness and stupidity. Many of the posts are completely awful. They are self-evidently awful. You have to be willfully obtuse to pretend to ignore that, and it's another layer of inanity to cover that obtuseness in a veneer of moral righteousness. It is pathetically shallow behavior.

But I still don't like that Pit thread at all.

I don't like the animus in that thread not because Huey doesn't deserve the more intelligent criticisms he's receiving (it's indisputable that he does) but because the very fact that he deserves the better criticisms opens up some sinister racial undertones to the lower-quality criticisms that I do not like at all. The attitude I'm picking up, whether fair or not, is: "HERE's a black guy who FINALLY deserves what's coming to him! It's OPEN SEASON on this one!" And so all of the rhetorical guns come out. It feels like all the previous times when people had to bite back their tongue when they didn't want to be challenged by a black guy built up a lot of pressure, and now that there's a "deserving" target, that entire reservoir of animus can come out at once. I do not like it. Fair or not, that's the attitude I think I'm picking up, and I do not like it.

Now, it's a legitimate response to say, "Anybody who posted such appallingly malicious shit deserves to be pitted, and in fact would be pitted on this board." I don't disagree. The pitting is well deserved, and if it were anyone else being such a gigantic jerk, exactly the same thing would've happened. That's not my criticism. My point is simply that there is a horrific racial history in this society, and that history changes the context of interpretation for every possible conversation. Including a Pit thread. The extended length of that thread, and its repeated beating of a dead horse, leaves itself open to more interpretations than the similar tedious length and bruised horse corpse habits of other similar threads, which would not suffer the deeper questions about motives. We interpret things in context. That's just a fact. Fair? No. But who cares? The racial history of this country wasn't very fuckin fair either, was it?

"But my motives are pure!" Fine. Sure. I'm not going to argue with you. There are plenty of posters who are making nuanced, intelligent criticisms, including especially Riemann (whose posts are pretty much always nuanced and intelligent). I'm not trying to read minds here, and say that the specific motives of specific posters are impure. I'm saying that it feels like, to me, that the social context of this thread matters. "We always beat dead horses like this!" Yes. True. But beating a dead horse so long in this context looks much worse than in other contexts. It raises darker questions in this context that it wouldn't in other contexts.

I think it was absolutely, totally worth starting that Pit thread to highlight the worst behavior, so that people who didn't know what a useless jerk Huey was could finally see that. But also I think the best thing to do now is to let it go. Just let it go. This particular dead horse doesn't need the usual beating that most similar horses receive. Even if it quite thoroughly "deserves" it. Especially if it deserves it. The case has been made. It is not in dispute. (Or at least, it's not in dispute to anyone who hasn't deliberately shut their brain off.)

The pitting was fully justified. But continuing it? I really don't think so.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellestal View Post
The extended length of that thread, and its repeated beating of a dead horse, leaves itself open to more interpretations than the similar tedious length and bruised horse corpse habits of other similar threads...beating a dead horse so long in this context looks much worse than in other contexts. It raises darker questions in this context that it wouldn't in other contexts.
Looks to me like the context of other extended Pittings, in that the "dead horse" keeps galloping back into the thread to drop more foul-smelling turds, while enablers of the Pittee neigh and whinny for attention.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
This was posted in the other thread:
I figured this would be well mentioned in this thread started by Covfefe, who probably won't be coming back here either.

For the record, I am not at all a fan of that other Pit thread.

I'm not copying here iiandyiiii's empty moral grandstanding or lazy abdication of intellectual responsibility, where he's "not sure" about some of the posts. Sheer laziness and stupidity. Many of the posts are completely awful. They are self-evidently awful. You have to be willfully obtuse to pretend to ignore that, and it's another layer of inanity to cover that obtuseness in a veneer of moral righteousness. It is pathetically shallow behavior.

But I still don't like that Pit thread at all.

I don't like the animus in that thread not because Huey doesn't deserve the more intelligent criticisms he's receiving (it's indisputable that he does) but because the very fact that he deserves the better criticisms opens up some sinister racial undertones to the lower-quality criticisms that I do not like at all. The attitude I'm picking up, whether fair or not, is: "HERE's a black guy who FINALLY deserves what's coming to him! It's OPEN SEASON on this one!" And so all of the rhetorical guns come out. It feels like all the previous times when people had to bite back their tongue when they didn't want to be challenged by a black guy built up a lot of pressure, and now that there's a "deserving" target, that entire reservoir of animus can come out at once. I do not like it. Fair or not, that's the attitude I think I'm picking up, and I do not like it.

Now, it's a legitimate response to say, "Anybody who posted such appallingly malicious shit deserves to be pitted, and in fact would be pitted on this board." I don't disagree. The pitting is well deserved, and if it were anyone else being such a gigantic jerk, exactly the same thing would've happened. That's not my criticism. My point is simply that there is a horrific racial history in this society, and that history changes the context of interpretation for every possible conversation. Including a Pit thread. The extended length of that thread, and its repeated beating of a dead horse, leaves itself open to more interpretations than the similar tedious length and bruised horse corpse habits of other similar threads, which would not suffer the deeper questions about motives. We interpret things in context. That's just a fact. Fair? No. But who cares? The racial history of this country wasn't very fuckin fair either, was it?

"But my motives are pure!" Fine. Sure. I'm not going to argue with you. There are plenty of posters who are making nuanced, intelligent criticisms, including especially Riemann (whose posts are pretty much always nuanced and intelligent). I'm not trying to read minds here, and say that the specific motives of specific posters are impure. I'm saying that it feels like, to me, that the social context of this thread matters. "We always beat dead horses like this!" Yes. True. But beating a dead horse so long in this context looks much worse than in other contexts. It raises darker questions in this context that it wouldn't in other contexts.

I think it was absolutely, totally worth starting that Pit thread to highlight the worst behavior, so that people who didn't know what a useless jerk Huey was could finally see that. But also I think the best thing to do now is to let it go. Just let it go. This particular dead horse doesn't need the usual beating that most similar horses receive. Even if it quite thoroughly "deserves" it. Especially if it deserves it. The case has been made. It is not in dispute. (Or at least, it's not in dispute to anyone who hasn't deliberately shut their brain off.)

The pitting was fully justified. But continuing it? I really don't think so.
Thatís spineless as well. Equality will never be achieved if people insist on treating special pet classes as fragile and weak. If you want so-called equality start treating people as real equals.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 PM

Well see Andy thinks that White Supremacism is the greatest threat to America today, which I think it obviously isn't, there is a lot more important things going on in the world today, it's not even on the radar. I'm not saying it isn't at all important, I just think there's a lot more important problems going on right now. I mean a lot of people when they bring up racism, they also bring up jobs, the economy, healthcare, income inequality, police brutality which I honestly don't think they give a shit who they are killing, there have been plenty of straight up unjustified killings done to all people with the rise of these militarized police departments.

I think fixing those things and some others being addressed would correct or improve the racism stuff which just may need minor tweaking and occasional conflicts after that point. I've also met more than a few black workers who have told me stuff to the effect of the Dems caring more about the welfare of illegals than that of their own citizens, I can see why they would feel that way.

So any issue Andy examines is through the lens of omg white supremacy, everything else is secondary to him. I'll say he can many times be a great debater and inform me of things I haven't thought about before, I don't personally care for him but for the most part he is a good, if at times disingenuous debater. And when he slips up sometimes and posts stuff that is nonsense or hypocritical, his standard tactic is to say ok it doesn't really matter, or I don't want to engage any further on this topic, and everyone be keeps missing my special enigmatic point so I'm wasting my time talking to you.

Last edited by pool; 01-19-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pool View Post
Well see Andy thinks that White Supremacism is the greatest threat to America today, which I think it obviously isn't
Also pool:
Quote:
Well everything I've googled, the studies have shown that black children are twice as likely to be diagnosed as mentally retarded than white children, even after corrections for Socioeconomic status.
The only conclusion it suggests to me is Poor Huey is probably one of these unfortunate mentally retarded Black Souls... Yeah that seems about right.
Nope. White supremacists aren't a problem in America at all.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Also pool:

Nope. White supremacists aren't a problem in America at all.
Hey I was just applying Huey's same standard of glossing over a couple scientific studies without reading them and then drawing an unfounded conclusion. I didn't perform any of the studies, and specifically stated that I wasn't inferring any special importance to them regarding racial superiority and it doesn't make me think I'm superior in any way, trust me I think most if not all people are equally stupid in their own way, if facts bother you then call out the scientists, not me, either way I don't really give a fuck.

It's nice that you cut out the rest of the post where I stated all that stuff would you care to post the entire post, or would that make you look stupid?

Last edited by pool; 01-20-2019 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Well everything I've googled, the studies have shown that black children are twice as likely to be diagnosed as mentally retarded than white children, even after corrections for Socioeconomic status. I can post cites if necessary.

Now I'm not going to conclude any kind of racial superiority from the results, or suggest there was inbreeding involved, and granted this was White Science done in White Laboratory Spaces, by unempathetic White Scientists who probably had Somalian Asperger's or something and were trying to keep the brothers down. The only conclusion it suggests to me is Poor Huey is probably one of these unfortunate mentally retarded Black Souls... Yeah that seems about right.
There you go I thoughtfully did it for you, it was an attempt to mock good Ol' Huey, whether you believe me or not, I don't give a fuck.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There you go I thoughtfully did it for you, it was an attempt to mock good Ol' Huey, whether you believe me or not, I don't give a fuck.
No, I read your original just fine. If you were a little less complacent in your own white privilege (my main impression of you is your blithe dismissals of concerns about school resegregation), your satire might be a little sharper. As it is, it kinda comes across like a very slightly exaggerated version of the shit you say normally. Believe me or not, I don't give a fuck.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:30 AM

Uh oh, looks like some white people need some safe spaces.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 AM

iiandyiiii is okay. He wants the world to be a better place than it is. You just have to remember that, to him, everything is about racism. Everything. If you keep that in mind, his posts just fade into background noise.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinyl Turnip View Post
It's like regular whiteness, but with guacamole and sour cream.
Yup. Supreme is the large size, with more stuff
Old 01-20-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
... he didn't provide a counterargument to anything anyone said. He just implied an ulterior motive. It can't be that we are actually upset at him for the vile things he has said. It must be white supremacy. ... I've already lost a lot of respect for him over how much he's bent over backwards for that asshole in the past. Still, most other Dopers who were willing to give him a chance have clued in to who Huey Freedman really is. Even an angry black man can be a vile human being who is only here to try to hurt those who aren't like him.
Eventually a reasonable person, or one who is not a total moron has to say ...

"I don't give a damn about your motives or excuses, you're just no damn good and that's that".

When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I'll add "kiss ass" to "hysterical" in my mental map of you. Huey's not going to become your friend if you mindlessly parrot his nastiness.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:

This is it for me. I mostly read and laugh at the outdated and out of touch postings here while rarely posting myself. I've been chastised for posting links to The Root from some calling it a hate site...and not long after saw others do the same. But that's beside the point, other than my own amusement over which messenger is listened to! There is a valid point to the pitting, but I absolutely see the near glee which some are approaching getting the chance to attack a black person. Not just to pit him, which is totally valid. It's just many comments show a very thin veneer covering some deep-seated racism that is dying to come out.

I'm not going to defend Huey in this, although I've definitely appreciated his voice on various topics in the past. I'm also not going to pretend I don't see iiandyiiii's and Hellestal's points. This board is intensely racist and misogynist and dated in the very worst way - by pretending not to be.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I see no trolling here. Like it or not, iiandyiiii is defending a racist, ableist shitstain of a human being. He's pulling out the tricks that I call others out on.

Notice how he didn't provide a counterargument to anything anyone said. He just implied an ulterior motive. It can't be that we are actually upset at him for the vile things he has said. It must be white supremacy. Sure, he says "some" to give plausible deniability, but he doesn't name a single white supremacist argument. That's not actually different than those who try to argue, for instance, that we're all really for open borders or want to take away their guns.

Now I'm giving him a bit of slack due to my personal history with him, and knowing he's a decent guy. I've invited him to point out the actual white supremacy, and to argue against people, while also condemning the vile stuff that Huey Freedman has said.

I hope he does it. I've already lost a lot of respect for him over how much he's bent over backwards for that asshole in the past. Still, most other Dopers who were willing to give him a chance have clued in to who Huey Freedman really is. Even an angry black man can be a vile human being who is only here to try to hurt those who aren't like him.
Most people are clued into what a sanctimonious asshole you are and yet you feel the need to lecture others. Step down, Dollar Store Moralist.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenTroy View Post
This is it for me. I mostly read and laugh at the outdated and out of touch postings here while rarely posting myself. I've been chastised for posting links to The Root from some calling it a hate site...and not long after saw others do the same. But that's beside the point, other than my own amusement over which messenger is listened to! There is a valid point to the pitting, but I absolutely see the near glee which some are approaching getting the chance to attack a black person. Not just to pit him, which is totally valid. It's just many comments show a very thin veneer covering some deep-seated racism that is dying to come out.

I'm not going to defend Huey in this, although I've definitely appreciated his voice on various topics in the past. I'm also not going to pretend I don't see iiandyiiii's and Hellestal's points. This board is intensely racist and misogynist and dated in the very worst way - by pretending not to be.
Thatís nonsense. Treating people equally means treating people equally. No special rules for fragile pet classes in order to build favor and then exploit.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus View Post
Thatís nonsense. Treating people equally means treating people equally. No special rules for fragile pet classes in order to build favor and then exploit.
No context. No context! YOU'RE the context!
Old 01-20-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
No context. No context! YOU'RE the context!
Yeah... use meaningless gibberish to hypocritically excuse bigotry and you wonder why modern liberalism is in trouble.

Last edited by octopus; 01-20-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:13 PM

Let me guess - "fragile pet classes" are any group that doesn't have you as a member.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernhamHogg View Post
Let me guess - "fragile pet classes" are any group that doesn't have you as a member.
Thatís purely coincidental!
Old 01-20-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah... use meaningless gibberish to hypocritically excuse bigotry
This is why using an irony meter on the Internet voids the warranty.
Quote:
and you wonder why modern liberalism is in trouble.
Robust progressivism absolutely crushed the last election, whereas weak-tea neoliberalism lost the previous one, so no, actually, I wonder no such thing.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
This is why using an irony meter on the Internet voids the warranty.

Robust progressivism absolutely crushed the last election, whereas weak-tea neoliberalism lost the previous one, so no, actually, I wonder no such thing.
Brazil, politics in Europe and America give you hope then?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's ridiculous. People don't have equal needs. People who have diabetes need insulin. People who don't have diabetes don't need insulin. Equal treatment would insist on either giving everyone insulin or giving nobody insulin. Both of those plans would kill people.

Black people in America suffer far more from racism than white people in America do. So black people in America should get more protection from racism than white people in America get.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you kidding? There's nothing more fragile than a white man whining about how he's not getting the special treatment he thinks he deserves.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 01-20-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:12 PM

White supremacists are some of the most fragile people in the world.

The only thing white supremacists are more afraid of than people of color, queer people, and black and brown skinned immigrants is other white folks that aren't afraid of people of color, queer people, and black and brown skinned immigrants.

White supremacists are the true "snowflakes" who can't compete on a level playing ground. This is why they won't accept the "prejudice plus power" definition that would make the term racist a useful term. They are too cowardly to even have a conversation that is framed in the way the people speaking to them intend. Their fragile terrified asses are to terrified to do so.

Last edited by rat avatar; 01-20-2019 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
From Trump?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
That's ridiculous. People don't have equal needs. People who have diabetes need insulin. People who don't have diabetes don't need insulin. Equal treatment would insist on either giving everyone insulin or giving nobody insulin. Both of those plans would kill people.

Black people in America suffer far more from racism than white people in America do. So black people in America should get more protection from racism than white people in America get.
Oh goodness, you donít real equality do you?
Old 01-21-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat avatar View Post
White supremacists are some of the most fragile people in the world.

The only thing white supremacists are more afraid of than people of color, queer people, and black and brown skinned immigrants is other white folks that aren't afraid of people of color, queer people, and black and brown skinned immigrants.

White supremacists are the true "snowflakes" who can't compete on a level playing ground. This is why they won't accept the "prejudice plus power" definition that would make the term racist a useful term. They are too cowardly to even have a conversation that is framed in the way the people speaking to them intend. Their fragile terrified asses are to terrified to do so.
And thatís even more nonsensical than your usual forays into politics. Stick to being a Chronos jr and talk about physics.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:21 AM

Quote:
And that’s even more nonsensical than your usual forays into politics. Stick to being a Chronos jr and talk about physics.
I wouldn't expect a "men's right" advocate such as yourself to understand how to open a package of potato-chips let alone understand social constructs and issues. I am surprised you didn't resort to calling me a SJW!!!

Last edited by rat avatar; 01-21-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat avatar View Post
I wouldn't expect a "men's right" advocate such as yourself to understand how to open a package of potato-chips let alone understand social constructs and issues. I am surprised you didn't resort to calling me a SJW!!!
I have servants for the Pringleís openings. Seriously though, why is it so hard to get it through the thick skulls on this forum that double standards arenít the solution to double standards? Itís almost as if you folks like the backlash against hypocrisy.

See, having one set of standards and proper definitions deprives the left of an intellectually dishonest linguistic bludgeon.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:29 AM

I believe octo's idea of "equality" is the one on the left...
Old 01-21-2019, 05:57 AM

...Okay what are those kids doing in the outfield in that last panel?
Old 01-21-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Player Cadet View Post
...Okay what are those kids doing in the outfield in that last panel?
Yeah, the other version makes more sense .

Last edited by MrDibble; 01-21-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 AM

Like... Pal... Y'gonna get beaned in the head if you're not careful.

Re: thread: I mean... he's not wrong? Huey is a huge, stupid douche, no doubt about it, but we have quite a few huge, stupid douches, and the vitriol against him seems a little more vicious than usual.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Oh goodness, you donít real equality do you?
When society's institutions treat the members of one group quite differently than the members of another group (and have been doing so for 400 years, varying only in degree), there isn't any 'real equality.' Even if racism ceased to exist tomorrow, the residual effects of that 400 years would linger for generations.

A little light reading for you: https://www.cambridge.org/core/books...tn-information

They analyzed twenty million traffic stops.
Quote:
Suspect Citizens offers the most comprehensive look to date at the most common form of police-citizen interactions, the routine traffic stop. Throughout the war on crime, police agencies have used traffic stops to search drivers suspected of carrying contraband. From the beginning, police agencies made it clear that very large numbers of police stops would have to occur before an officer might interdict a significant drug shipment. Unstated in that calculation was that many Americans would be subjected to police investigations so that a small number of high-level offenders might be found. The key element in this strategy, which kept it hidden from widespread public scrutiny, was that middle-class white Americans were largely exempt from its consequences. Tracking these police practices down to the officer level, Suspect Citizens documents the extreme rarity of drug busts and reveals sustained and troubling disparities in how racial groups are treated.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Stick to being a Chronos jr and talk about physics.
I'd suggest that you stick to what you're good at, if your posts had ever given me any clue of what that is.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFirefly View Post
I'd suggest that you stick to what you're good at, if your posts had ever given me any clue of what that is.
Given that the answer is "being a troll" I'd suggest he just fuck off.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Brazil, politics in Europe and America give you hope then?
Of course neo-fascists are on the rise. Of course white supremacists are emboldened. You have plenty of shitty, dangerous, violent compatriots in your effort to hold back the tide.

But stories like this give me hope. The fact that young people are overwhelmingly more progressive than the shitty old people running the world gives me hope.

Slowly, but exceedingly fine.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:53 AM

Andy’s self-abasement is rather painful to stomach sometimes.

As far as the knowledge and depth he brings to racial discussions, he is about equal to a 5th grader who has just finished up the Black History Month module.

He shows no signs of having any familiarity with American culture of any kind, which makes for some rather dull conversations.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a "dog whistle" to me.