Old 01-19-2019, 09:23 PM

Covington Catholic High (in case it hasn't been mentioned already)

Well, you may have already seen it if you use any social media and haven't reduced your feed to a bunch of Ann Coulter wannabees, but let put it out there.

A bunch of kids from this school were in DC for the March For Life and decided to do a little side taunting of a Native American Group that was demonstrating for memory of Native American vets.

During said taunting one of the native demonstrators, Natan Phillips went over to diffuse the situation but ended up surrounded by these MAGA-hat wearing punks and one of them got right in Phillips face with a smirk so goading he now owns the title of most slappable face since Martin Shkreli.

The images and video went viral and there was understandable outrage.

The diocese that Covington Catholic is in has said they are condemning the actions and the schoo,l after going silent most of the day, has said they will be punishing the students, including possible expulsion.

The kids, however, are trying to foist blame on Phillips and denying all wrongdoing. In an exchange with JoeySalads (tweet may not be current, sorry) they claim to be innocent of wrongdoing despite the intimidation tactics on display.

The lead kid with the punch-me face has not been identified (I've seen some folks trying but their conclusions seem way off) but i doubt it will remain that way for long.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:34 PM

Well, it's no Wounded Knee.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:35 PM

He's got a bright future. At the rate he's going, he'll be a Supreme Court Justice in 20-30 years.

What kind of horrible education are these brats receiving, where they think screaming "BUILD THE WALL!" at a bunch of Native Americans makes any sense?

And to top it all off, those kids were there to protest abortion. Instead of exemplifying Christian values and showing the world that all life is precious and deserving of respect, they did the complete opposite. Both them and their community should be ashamed.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:41 PM

Not all conservatives are -- well, actually, yes they are. They can go to fucking hell. It's conservative "It's my white country, and I don't wanna change" mentality that breads this shit. God help the motherfucker who wears a MAGA hat in my face.

We don't need to understand or communicate with these animals; we need to crush them.

Last edited by asahi; 01-19-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:44 PM

This goes along well with a video I just watched about the things the Church needs to talk about. They mention how churches completely stay away from issues that might be seen as too political, despite us all knowing that they tend to lean a certain way. It's an interesting idea that the political is overriding the religious in these areas because religion refuses to talk about it.

In other words, there's a reason they think that being anti-abortion also means mistreating those who are different from them, even though there is no actual connection. The connection is just "this is what the Republican positions are," not something that flows from one to the other.

They're Catholic, so I expect them to be pro-life. But they should also be pro-charity, pro-foreigner, and pro-love for their fellow man. But they're not being taught that. If anything, they'll get a message on abortion, and that's it. And then tribalism takes over.

And, yes, they need to learn that they are the anchor baby immigrants relative to the Native Americans. That might help, too.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
This goes along well with a video I just watched about the things the Church needs to talk about. They mention how churches completely stay away from issues that might be seen as too political, despite us all knowing that they tend to lean a certain way. It's an interesting idea that the political is overriding the religious in these areas because religion refuses to talk about it.

In other words, there's a reason they think that being anti-abortion also means mistreating those who are different from them, even though there is no actual connection. The connection is just "this is what the Republican positions are," not something that flows from one to the other.

They're Catholic, so I expect them to be pro-life. But they should also be pro-charity, pro-foreigner, and pro-love for their fellow man. But they're not being taught that. If anything, they'll get a message on abortion, and that's it. And then tribalism takes over.

And, yes, they need to learn that they are the anchor baby immigrants relative to the Native Americans. That might help, too.
The thing is, much of the Catholic church, for all of its faults, actually is pro-immigrant. They're just growing some in-bred, defective, moon-shining, sister-fucking, shit-kicking fuckwads in Kentucky. McConnell territory, so not a surprise, really.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:56 PM

Hey now, I'm sure these young men were merely expressing their economic anxiety. We should strive to understand them and treat them with civility and respect.

Sarcasm aside, I have to agree that chanting an anti-immigrant slogan at a Native American shows a certain lack of intellectual sophistication.

Last edited by Defensive Indifference; 01-19-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:04 PM

I have at least three cousins that went to CovCath - one older, now in his 50's - and two younger, one in his early 30's and the other in his late 20's. They were all raised in upper-middle class households.

They all live with, or in rental property owned by, their parents, and none of them has been able to hold a job for more than a year for their entire adult lives.

The oldest has a couple of gun charges and a menacing by stalking charge. The middle has a domestic violence conviction for throwing a set of keys at his own mother's face during his late 20's, and a restraining order against him by the mother of the child he had out of wedlock. The youngest has a two DUIs.

All of them are Trump supporters. I've been waiting with baited breath for one of the two that I'm still friends with on Facebook to post something racist since this news broke.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:09 PM

FWIW, CovCath's most recent alumnus to make the news was Jake Walter, a 7-foot-tall standout basketball player and son of former Bengal Joe Walter, was accused of raping his girlfriend until she bled.

Go Colonels!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:20 PM

I've seen some analysis, and it appears that the outrage is wholly based on Phillips' account in WaPo, which has key inconsistencies with the available video. Namely, the "Build that wall" chant, and the claim that he was blocked from retreating. The videos we have contain none of the former, and demonstrates the latter not true at all. Further, additional video shows Phillips approaching the crowd, not that he was approached and surrounded.

He then bangs his drum inches from the kid's face for quite some time, and while the smirk is off-putting, the kid just stands there taking it. Overall, the kids were being disrespectful and childish, but this is not at all the scenario, at least according to the videos we have, of a bunch of racist teenagers surrounding a Native American vet and taunting him.

I'm open to video evidence that racist chants were made, or that Phillips was blocked from retreating, but as it stands now, this doesn't look to be the way it's being portrayed.

Last edited by Dacien; 01-19-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
I've seen some analysis, and it appears that the outrage is wholly based on Phillips' account in WaPo, ...
I have seen no analysis, and my rage is based upon that disrespectful prick with the Maga grin. Fuck him, and the diocese that tought him his values. He probably has a motherfucking American flag on display at his house, and couldn't even spell vietnam.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
I've seen some analysis, and it appears that the outrage is wholly based on Phillips' account in WaPo, which has key inconsistencies with the available video. Namely, the "Build that wall" chant, and the claim that he was blocked from retreating. The videos we have contain none of the former, and demonstrates the latter not true at all. Further, additional video shows Phillips approaching the crowd, not that he was approached and surrounded.

He then bangs his drum inches from the kid's face for quite some time, and while the smirk is off-putting, the kid just stands there taking it. Overall, the kids were being disrespectful and childish, but this is not at all the scenario, at least according to the videos we have, of a bunch of racist teenagers surrounding a Native American vet and taunting him.

I'm open to video evidence that racist chants were made, or that Phillips was blocked from retreating, but as it stands now, this doesn't look to be the way it's being portrayed.
Here you go.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:03 PM

That just shows him banging his drum in the kids face for quite some time. He doesn't attempt to leave and is blocked. It doesn't demonstrate any racist chants. There is a clip of Phillips hitting his drum as he walks toward the crowd of kids before the incident takes place.

Now, were they mocking him and doing disrespectful dances etc.? Yes, but the portrayal here is that he was surrounded by a bunch of racist teenagers who kept him hostage via the crowd and intimidated him. The truth appears to be that Phillips approached the crowd and banged his drum in their faces, and then left freely shortly thereafter.

This raises my hackles because there's an undercurrent of desire, pushed by prominent figures, to destroy these kid's lives over something that is not what it all appears to be. I have a strong feeling, though I have no evidence, that the fact that they're wearing Trump hats makes them worthy of doxxing and attack.

Last edited by Dacien; 01-19-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:04 PM

You just keep fucking that chicken.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galen ubal View Post
Definitely some MAGAt hats there.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:16 PM

Response from a student who was there vehemently denying the narrative.

https://twitter.com/AClementsWKRC/st...22521012473858
Old 01-19-2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I've seen some analysis, ....
Did it require analysis for you, fucking moron, to know what you were looking at?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
This raises my hackles because there's an undercurrent of desire, pushed by prominent figures, to destroy these kid's lives over something that is not what it all appears to be.
All the criticisms I've seen on liberal social media pages are directed at the school, not the kids in the video.

Here's an example, a change.org petition.

Last edited by scr4; 01-19-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by black rabbit View Post
All of them are Trump supporters. I've been waiting with baited breath for one of the two that I'm still friends with on Facebook to post something racist since this news broke.
BATED breath. Short for “abated.” Means you’re holding your breath.

That is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
Did it require analysis for you, fucking moron, to know what you were looking at?
I actually removed you from ignore for this because I thought, "This is something I feel pretty strongly about, and I want to be able to respond to substantive rebuttals."

And I was greeted with this.

Last edited by Dacien; 01-19-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 PM

Fuck you.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

That is all.
Doing the Lord's work.

Next up: "Loose" when they mean "lose".
Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Sure sounds like something that could be taken as support for the dumb wall.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:33 PM

Same bullshit we heard after Charlottesville where we assured that the Nazis and Company were oh-so peaceful and respectful and the only reason that guy ran over counter-protestors was because he was being threatened by them and feared for his life.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Fuck you.
Hey, I just corrected his spelling, fercrissake, you don’t have to get aggressive with me.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:38 PM

Hey now, I wasn't talking to you.
ETA I havw my own spelling issues.

Last edited by bobot; 01-19-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post

That is all.
Well ACTUALLY, I had nightcrawlers for dinner. Shows what you know.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey now, I wasn't talking to you.
Oops, sorry about that.

You may draw your own conclusions about how I missed the intervening post.

Last edited by kaylasdad99; 01-19-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:52 PM

You had a brain fart and tried to blame it on the dog.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 AM

Ah, where's a ruler-wielding nun where you need her?
Old 01-20-2019, 01:52 AM

I'm sure these people marching around in white supremacist regalia were just misunderstood as to their intentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
They're just growing some in-bred, defective, moon-shining, sister-fucking, shit-kicking fuckwads in Kentucky. McConnell territory, so not a surprise, really.
If you're going to do this, could you at least get the right stereotypes? These are private school kids from the suburbs. Think Brett Kavanaugh, not Cletus the Slack-Jawed Yokel.

Last edited by Lord Feldon; 01-20-2019 at 01:55 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:01 AM

Yeah, they’re chanting “build the wall”. And earlier in that video a bunch of them are doing disrespectful tomahawk chops. Basically a bunch of little shits.

Unfortunately Dacien seems like the type to believe what he’s told to believe, so I doubt linking the video will help him any (though he should probably wonder why he’s being told to believe that those racist little shits weren’t actually harassing that Native American veteran despite the clear video evidence of them doing precisely that)
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
Old 01-20-2019, 02:05 AM

Statement from Covington Catholic: “We condemn the actions of the Covington Catholic High School students towards Nathan Phillips specifically, and Native Americans in general, Jan. 18, after the March for Life, in Washington, D.C.

“We extend our deepest apologies to Mr. Phillips. This behavior is opposed to the Church’s teachings on the dignity and respect of the human person.

“The matter is being investigated and we will take appropriate action, up to and including expulsion.

“We know this incident also has tainted the entire witness of the March for Life and express our most sincere apologies to all those who attended the March and all those who support the pro-life movement."
So apparently the school recognizes that their student’s behavior was wrong. Apparently they have more moral backbone than certain posters to this thread.
According to the Anti-Defamation League, "In 2018, domestic extremists killed at least 50 people in the US, a sharp increase from the 37 extremist-related murders documented in 2017....every single extremist killing — from Pittsburgh to Parkland — had a link to right-wing extremism."
Old 01-20-2019, 03:27 AM

Stories about the lovely students at Covington Catholic.
https://twitter.com/christapeterso/s...87337860743169
Old 01-20-2019, 05:05 AM
Charter Member

Josh Marshall tweets:
This video is the only one I’ve seen that captures the whole progression of events and who was involved. It’s almost two hours. But you see the argument/trash talking with btw the maga kids and the black Israelite group. Then you see when Nathan Phillips comes in etc, seemingly...

2/ to get between the two groups.
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1086892602803347457

I suspect there will be more detailed stories later. My take is that smirk-kid needs to be filled in on what sort of behaviors can get you arrested for harassment and what sort of behaviors can cause you to lose your job.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
Jesus christ, that's horrifying. What we seem to have here is a school which actively breeds the worst of society. Can we nuke it from orbit?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Kitchen View Post
"The whores on the hill." Yeah, I'm sure those little shits were in town for the march because they believe in the sanctity of life. Looks like racism and bigotry are nothing new to them either. This can't have been the first time the Diocese has been made aware of problems with this school.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 AM

Those kids make some pretty convincing pro-abortion arguments.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
Old 01-20-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep's Phoenix View Post
"The whores on the hill."
That's not the only school that used that name for a nearby girls' school...
Old 01-20-2019, 09:47 AM

Of course this had to be from a school in my hometown area.

Sigh.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM

Black Muslims were responsible for all of this.

I bet they also left their prayer rugs laying around so that people would trip over them!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
And that ball is way back, way back, outta here, grand slam!!!!

Post of the thread.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstro View Post
Black Muslims were responsible for all of this.

I bet they also left their prayer rugs laying around so that people would trip over them!
Yes, in Sarah Palin style, "We shitstain bigots are the REAL victims."

Jesus fucking Christ! Didn't half these mother fuckers say they were gonna leave the country if Obama got re-elected in 2012?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM

Another narrative falling apart. Those shouts of 'n*gger' and 'f*ggot' weren't coming from the schoolkids.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:47 AM

Weren't there school chaperones there? What were they doing through all of this? Let's fire them all. As for Smirky McSmirkface, put his name out there so that employers know who not to hire, ever.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:52 AM

Young men think that old men are fools. Old men remember that young men are fools.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:55 AM

You're not suggesting Trump supporters think, are you?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:13 AM
Arms of Steel, Leg of Jello
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tooth View Post
You're not suggesting Trump supporters think, are you?
At a very low level, yes.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Of course this had to be from a school in my hometown area.

Sigh.
Florida needed a break, so Kentucky stepped up.