Old 02-07-2019, 11:50 PM

Bob Seger's "Night Moves"

I heard this song while driving on a long roadie the other night and I now realize that I never fully appreciated Seger the way I should have.

The double entendre of the song's title is a story in its own right, but what really struck me was how he successfully incorporated the spirit of blues into that song. He's just so soulful. A masterpiece of blues rock.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:01 AM

I always felt Seger was just okay, and that his "proto blues" sound was more of a schtick to me than out of any natural talent for playing it on he or his band's part. He certainly has a following though.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
I always felt Seger was just okay, and that his "proto blues" sound was more of a schtick to me than out of any natural talent for playing it on he or his band's part. He certainly has a following though.
Personally, I don't think he was quite able to replicate what he achieved in Night Moves. Against the Wind, Like a Rock -- good songs, but he really got it right in that one song.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
I heard this song while driving on a long roadie the other night and I now realize that I never fully appreciated Seger the way I should have.
Back when I listened to the radio in my car, I had the Bob Seger Rule: as soon as I heard a Bob Seger song start, I'd turn the radio to another station.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Personally, I don't think he was quite able to replicate what he achieved in Night Moves. Against the Wind, Like a Rock -- good songs, but he really got it right in that one song.
I don't get why people like those songs. All they are is Bob bragging about how great he is or was.
Even worse is Turn the Page. It's the whiniest, bragging-est song ever that isn't a rap track! I know lots of people my age who think that song is some sort of a sacred anthem, but the only song that makes me change stations just as fast is Free Bird.

Oh, about Night Moves- there was a time I liked it. It's one of Seger's better efforts.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder Bo View Post
Back when I listened to the radio in my car, I had the Bob Seger Rule: as soon as I heard a Bob Seger song start, I'd turn the radio to another station.
And play what instead?
Old 02-08-2019, 01:55 AM

Ca. 1990, I dated a man who owned a used record store. The artists I remember whose LPs, cassettes, and CDs he couldn't give away were Asia, Twisted Sister, Huey Lewis & The News, and
SPOILER:
Bob Seger

That last one was surprising to me, but yeah, he said that everyone who wanted his records already had them.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
And play what instead?
Pretty much whatever any other station had was fine, as long it wasn't also Bob Seger.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

My friend once opined (tongue firmly in cheek) that when he asked a girl “what’s your favorite Bob Segar song?” If she didn’t say “Night Moves” it was not meant to be...
Old 02-08-2019, 08:43 AM

It was only good after it was re-released for his Greatest Hits with Matt Leblanc in the video.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:52 AM

I'm not a Seger fan but he sang the shit out of that song. I can't think of a better way to describe it.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actualliberalnotoneofthose View Post
It was only good after it was re-released for his Greatest Hits with Matt Leblanc in the video.
The idea of Matt Leblanc in a video of that song is just...weird.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

When he sings "points of her own sittin way up high" my skin crawls just about OFF.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:12 AM

Bob Seger was definitely part of the soundtrack of my childhood and, while I wouldn't go out of my way to hear them, most of the songs I occasionally hear on the radio are like running into an old acquaintance; I don't want to hang out all day but a short chat is pleasant.

As for Night Moves, most definitely one of his best and just a damn good tune period. I didn't like it as much when I was a kid as I preferred bouncier stuff you could sing along to. Today, I find it very evocative and can get lost in it if I'm in the right mood.

Here is recently revived zombie about the lyrics.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank Slate View Post
I'm not a Seger fan but he sang the shit out of that song. I can't think of a better way to describe it.
That pretty much sums it up for me. For the longest time, I never thought of Seger as anything particularly special, but I don't know, I've always like the song for as long as I can remember hearing it. But it clicked when I listened to it the other night: that one song was a stroke of genius and an example of someone really catching the spirit of soul or blues/rock - whatever we want to call it. He starts out like he's sitting around a campfire telling a story, and it's like he recalls being in the moment. You can hear him connecting with his youth. The transition to "Funny how the night moves" is a moment of reflection in the middle of the night when no one's around. And then toward the end he transitions back to reliving those youthful moments again and he just sounds so soulful.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

If you don't get up and dance when "Old Time Rock and Roll" is played, I don't want to know you.

Call me a relic, call me what you will.
Say I'm old fashion, say I'm over the hill.
Today's music ain't got the same soul.
I like that old time rock and roll.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
Even worse is Turn the Page. It's the whiniest, bragging-est song ever that isn't a rap track! I know lots of people my age who think that song is some sort of a sacred anthem, but the only song that makes me change stations just as fast is Free Bird.
Nothing sacred about Turn the Page, but Metallica took that song and did it the way it was meant to be done.

***WARNING - Video NSFW

I don't mind Seger. I would never seek out any of his stuff; but when it comes on the radio, it's like relaxing background music for me.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
My friend once opined (tongue firmly in cheek) that when he asked a girl “what’s your favorite Bob Segar song?” If she didn’t say “Night Moves” it was not meant to be...
Well, because Night Moves is a Biob SegEr song.

And really, the answer is Turn the Page (live), followed by Hollywood Nights.

Even if Turn the Page is just another of a long string of rock stars signing about how haaaaaarrd, man it is to tour and make oodles of money and sleep with an endless sting of anonymous groupies. Life is so haaaaard, man.

Though he does sign about it really well.

Does anyone remember American Pop, and the scene using Night Moves? A high spot in an otherwise very mediocre movie.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
We called them "gofer" tunes. As in, as soon as you hear the opening note, you go fer the knob and turn the station. We were in top shape- we could change Freeze Frame before the cameras stopped clicking.

True story - I was in a car with three other people and Turn the Page came on, and the three other people all said, simultaneously and unrehearsed, "this is my favorite Bob Seger song", and the only reason I didn't is because I didn't want to interrupt.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:04 AM

Night Moves was another of those albums that when I was in college EVERYONE who had at least 10-20 albums had. I was never a big fan, but thought it fine for what it was - just big, bar rock. I listen to it every year or so and enjoy it - and then don't think of it for another year or so.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:13 AM

I really like "Night Moves" and some of his other songs. But "Turn the Page" annoys me for the same reason as California Jobcase. There's another song with Bob singing about being fed up with all the bullshit. He's sitting on his motorcycle (of course. No one has a Manly Moment in their Accord) on the continental divide. He goes on about seeing an eagle fly and it makes me gag on the schlocky symbolism. Geez, Bob. Trying to write a pickup truck commercial?
Old 02-08-2019, 10:18 AM

My favorite Bob Seger song is Motorhead's cover of Thin Lizzy's cover of Seger's "Rosalie"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zbOOI01g_Q
Old 02-08-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post

Well, after this comment I have a newly gained modicum of respect for old Bob. I had no idea he performed for the hearing impaired.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
Well, after this comment I have a newly gained modicum of respect for old Bob. I had no idea he performed for the hearing impaired.
And after me correcting the spelling of his name.

I deserved that!

though some would say his music sounds best if you are deaf.....

Last edited by Just Asking Questions; 02-08-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california jobcase View Post
I don't get why people like those songs. All they are is Bob bragging about how great he is or was.
I never got a bragging vibe from his songs, but rather the common theme that getting older sucks
Old 02-08-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Well, because Night Moves is a Biob SegEr song.

And really, the answer is Turn the Page (live), followed by Hollywood Nights.

Even if Turn the Page is just another of a long string of rock stars signing about how haaaaaarrd, man it is to tour and make oodles of money and sleep with an endless sting of anonymous groupies. Life is so haaaaard, man.

Does anyone remember American Pop, and the scene using Night Moves? A high spot in an otherwise very mediocre movie.
Shut your whore mouth!!! That movie is a classic!! But seriously it is.

"Night Moves" was actually a last second change and Ralph B. Was none to pleased to use it. I personally love the arrangement.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
I never got a bragging vibe from his songs, but rather the common theme that getting older sucks
Same here. Also, I'd say a large portion of popular music can be seen as the singer bragging about how great they are.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

There's something about the sound of a Bob Seger song that just fills my mind with words like "slick," "commercial," "inauthentic," "self-aggrandizing," "insincere," "creepy," etc.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizor View Post
Yeah, like Kevin Costner's characters, Bob Seger's sweet spot is just-past-their-prime men realizing where they are in the world. It resonates.

Really, Bob Seger's not a bad writer and performer. I'd call him one of those journeyman rock stars. Never all the way on top like the immortals but more than serviceable and he'll give good value if you let him. There's a lot to be said for those guys.

And Night Moves, like Cyndi Lauper's 'Time After Time', perfectly captures the 3AM staring at the ceiling dread that can take you away for a while.

And that chord progression is one of the all-time rounds. It's possible to just get caught up in it going around and around. Powerful stuff.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:12 AM

Not Bob Seger, but same school is Michael Bolton. Same phony, overwrought "soul" singing. I was listening to him and it occurred to me how much it must suck to be a background/studio backup vocalist. They have to be in perfect key and pitch and make scale wages, while the guy in front can barely carry a note but makes millions.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

I discovered Segar with "Innervenus Eyes" where he established himself as a fine rocker. I also like many of his lesser-played songs like "Katmandu," "Get Out of Denver," and "Rambling Gambling Man."

I had been following him long before "Night Moves" came out and agree it's a great song. Part of it is the pleasure of discovering someone years before they made it big.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Hey, I had that same rule too! I also had similar rules with slight naming variations (Chicago Rule, Journey Rule, Foreigner Rule, Nazareth Rule, etc).
Old 02-08-2019, 11:36 AM

You turned off Nazareth? (OK, I'll accept turning off Love Hurts...)
Old 02-08-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
You turned off Nazareth? (OK, I'll accept turning off Love Hurts...)
I heard the phrase "now you're messing with a sonuvabitch" probably in excess of 10,000 times growing up (that's in only one listening to Hair of the Dog). And yes, it was either that song or their cover of Love Hurts. I'd be very shocked to learn they have more than those two songs!
Old 02-08-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Sams View Post
Shut your whore mouth!!! That movie is a classic!! But seriously it is.
Kansas is CORN!

and so is the film.

I probably should rewatch it. Give it another chance. I'm older now, not unlike Bob Seger. Haven't seen it since it was new, and I was more snobbish back then.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Kansas is CORN!

and so is the film.

I probably should rewatch it. Give it another chance. I'm older now, not unlike Bob Seger. Haven't seen it since it was new, and I was more snobbish back then.
Nah...you're kinda right. I like it, but if you just watch from where the kid at the end grows up (the last 10 minutes or so) its great.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Not a huge Seger fan myself, but I've heard that he was quite good in concert.

Anyone seen him live who can confirm or deny?
Old 02-08-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post

I never did, but my mom still says it's the best concert she ever went to. And she isn't even the biggest Bob Seger fan, she just said he put on a great show and kept it going all night long.

Quote:
Yep, all through the thread I was thinking, "wasn't this the song the guy played at the end of Heavy Metal?" And then you reminded me of the other music-based adult animated movie from 1981.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
I also like many of his lesser-played songs like "Katmandu," "Get Out of Denver," and "Rambling Gambling Man."
I've always been partial to his anti-Vietnam War song 2 + 2 = ?.

I'm in general agreement that he comes off to me as a sort of a mildly listenable journeyman rocker. I can easily see him being being either adored or hated, but I have to say I'm mostly indifferent myself. He's fine and undeniably talented, but doesn't get me that excited( but the above song is pretty damn good ).

Last edited by Tamerlane; 02-08-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:55 PM

He had good hair.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:21 PM

Seger's Live Bullet album is a classic that every fan should have in their collection.

The Silver Bullet band is the best backing band that Bob ever had. They gave him a raw edge that's missing in the recorded albums.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-08-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

I don't understand why people think "Turn the Page" is "bragging". The narrator of that song is not an A-list act, playing in stadiums and touring with an entourage. He is a D-list act, playing in bars and state fairs, setting up his own equipment and driving his own van. When he sings "playing the star again", it's dripping with irony.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:31 PM

All of Bob Seger's songs are about his penis. Literally every single one.

Edited: Night Moves is a good song. Bit of trivia, the song from 1962 was 'Be My Baby' by the Ronettes, which was recorded in 1963.

Last edited by HMS Irruncible; 02-08-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:36 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Seger's Live Bullet album is a classic that every fan should have in their collection.

The Silver Bullet band is the best backing band that Bob ever had. They gave him a raw edge that's missing in the recorded albums.
I was going to say something similar. He is one of the few rock artist where the definitive versions of his hits are on a live album. Live Bullet is one of the best live albums of all time.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Interesting mix of perspectives here. I am not as sour on Seger as Snowboarder Bo or wguy123; my default “change the station” band is probably Boston, and I kind of like “Still the Same”. When I was an old-soul teen in the 1980s hanging around in the college library listening to Billie Holiday and Frank Zappa records, I thought Seger was resonant and wistful. Nowadays, I am not as taken with him. The impact is diminished, perhaps because he is a little trite.

Some singer-songwriters you grow out of. Seger may be one of them, as, perhaps, is Jackson Browne. Some bards you grow into. I didn’t have much use for Leonard Cohen or Joni Mitchell when I was a kid; now I appreciate them. Some are in a place between, like Paul Simon or John Lennon. (Heresy, I know.) We take from artists what we need at the time, I think. Sometimes that changes drastically over the life cycle.

"How much easier life would be if people asked outright and took no for an answer." --Annie Xmas
Old 02-08-2019, 06:29 PM

Most of you are overlooking Seger's best tunes. Katmandu, 2+2=?, Beautiful Loser, Nutbush City Limits, Get Out of Denver, Lookin' Back, U.M.C., and, a flat-out kick ass rocker, Ramblin' Gamblin' Man:

"...ain't good looking, but you know I ain't shy, ain't afraid to look you girl, in the eye.."

Like a Rock did nothing for me when it was released, but I now consider it underrated.

And if you don't know the song "Lookin' Back", seek it out. It's awesome.

mmm
Old 02-08-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
If you don't get up and dance when "Old Time Rock and Roll" is played, I don't want to know you.

Call me a relic, call me what you will.
Say I'm old fashion, say I'm over the hill.
Today's music ain't got the same soul.
I like that old time rock and roll.
I was a hotel banquet server in college. If I never hear that song again, it will be too soon.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS Irruncible View Post
All of Bob Seger's songs are about his penis. Literally every single one.
Isn't most popular music - their own, or someone else's?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimaane View Post

I saw him a few months back on his farewell tour in Chicago. It was a high energy show with no filler. He did most of his hits and a few lesser known songs and had everyone up out of their seats. Which was quite the achievement since most of the crowd was older (at 46 I was on the younger side of the audience).

You would have found it difficult to believe he’s 73 after seeing him live.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:21 PM

I’m with the OP on that particular song. Every time I listen, I get wistful with an uncomfortable feeling in my chest. That song is a classic. Seger and/or his genre may not be everyone’s cup of tea but I’m surprised he got so many negative reactions in this thread.