Old 02-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Why all the love for the Dairy Queen Blizzard?

I've been hearing about the Dairy Queen Blizzard for several years. I read that it helped revitalize their business

We had dinner at a restaurant and wanted desert.

We decided to try the strawberry blizzard they're promoting..

It was standard soft serve ice cream, chocolate pieces, and some blended strawberry pieces.

It was OK. The rock hard, cold chocolate pieces were a bit off-putting. Honestly, I'd prefer a strawberry sundae. I like the syrup topping on a sundae.

At almost $5 with tax it seemed pricy for basic soft serve ice cream.

Here it is.
https://www.chewboom.com/2019/02/01/...h-ghirardelli/

Why all the love for the DQ Blizzard?

Is there something I'm missing?

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-12-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 AM

Some of them are pretty good..that one doesn't sound like it's up my alley. I don't get them very often at all, but for a while they were my go-to depression/stress food. M&M and Oreo are probably my favorites.

ETA: Not sure about your store, but the one I used to frequent would hand them to you upside down...I guess to prove how, like, upside down the ice cream was? Anyway, there were a couple times I ordered one in the drive-through on a 100 degree day, and the panicked look of "For the LOVE OF GOD TAKE THE THING BEFORE IT FALLS OUT!" on the employees face as she held it out the window was priceless.

Last edited by Sicks Ate; 02-12-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:30 AM

My biggest issue is the soft serve ice cream. There was very little taste too it.

No vanilla at all. It just wasn't premium soft serve ice cream.

I'll try the M&M Blizzard next time.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
My biggest issue is the soft serve ice cream. There was very little taste too it.

I'll try the M&M Blizzard next time.
The ice cream is nothing more than a delivery vehicle for CANDY!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:35 AM

LOL good point.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
ETA: Not sure about your store, but the one I used to frequent would hand them to you upside down...I guess to prove how, like, upside down the ice cream was? Anyway, there were a couple times I ordered one in the drive-through on a 100 degree day, and the panicked look of "For the LOVE OF GOD TAKE THE THING BEFORE IT FALLS OUT!" on the employees face as she held it out the window was priceless.
It's to prove how thick the ice cream is. It's not a shake or super-soft ice cream.

As with all things that are a matter of taste, whether you like it or not is up to you. I like the Oreo or Reese's blizzards, but if I'm in the mood for an ice cream shop, I usually go to Ben & Jerry's.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:48 AM

My favorite DQ treat is the dipped cone.

They can be tricky in the summer. There's always a risk the ice cream will fall off.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Is there a lot of love for it? Outside of advertisements, I never hear anyone proclaim their love of DQ Blizzards. I like them from time to time, but they're just a concrete, and we have much better local ice cream places for those. DQ is good if you want one out of season or at weird hours. Dairy Queen has pretty good burgers so occasionally I'll get a Blizzard when I'm in the mood for a DQ burger, but just because I'm already there and it's easy.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

It's been awhile since I had a bilzzard. Back in the day, you could get a shot or two of any of the sundae syrups blended into it. That could boost the taste of the ice cream.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
Is there a lot of love for it? Outside of advertisements, I never hear anyone proclaim their love of DQ Blizzards. I like them from time to time, but they're just a concrete, and we have much better local ice cream places for those. DQ is good if you want one out of season or at weird hours. Dairy Queen has pretty good burgers so occasionally I'll get a Blizzard when I'm in the mood for a DQ burger, but just because I'm already there and it's easy.
I used to love the coffee Heath Bar blizzards. I don't think they make them any longer.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCube View Post
I like them from time to time, but they're just a concrete, and we have much better local ice cream places for those.
In fact, the DQ Blizzard was invented by a franchisee in St. Louis who saw how popular concretes are there. Of course, real concretes are made with frozen custard and DQ soft serve is to frozen custard as White Castle is to prime rib.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I've been hearing about the Dairy Queen Blizzard for several years. I read that it helped revitalize their business
Am I missing something? I’m pushing 40 and they’ve been around as long as I can remember.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgg419 View Post
Am I missing something? I’m pushing 40 and they’ve been around as long as I can remember.
I only heard about them a few years ago.

DQ went out of business in the Little Rock area for about 15 years (1995-2010)

They started opening new locations about 7 years ago. There's still only three in the entire metro area.

I lost track of what they sell.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-12-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

I could live in Mint Oreo blizzards. I get them often enough that sometimes I accidentally order them at other places when I meant to get a shake.

And I see someone beat me to it, but they're hardly new. They've been around for decades. I've been eating them regularly for close to 40 years.

Quote:
I lost track of what they sell.
But that's like thinking a Big Mac is new. You might not have the McDonalds menu memorized, but that's always been their thing (well since the 60's or 70's).
Looks like the Blizzard has been the thing to get at DQ since 1985.

Last edited by Joey P; 02-12-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's just DQ's ice milk. It's objectively not very good. I think these days they call it "low fat ice cream," although if you check their signs and website, there's not reference at all to "ice cream" or "ice milk."

Quote:
I'm 47, and remember when they were new. Probably I was under 10 years old, but greater than seven.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:51 AM

"All the love" for the blizzard is manufactured by Dairy Queen. Quite brilliant, actually.

They continually hype the blizzard in their commercials as one of the most beloved foodstuffs of all time, and subconsciously viewers start to believe it's true.

They do the same thing calling their food "fan food" instead of "fast food". Again viewers receive this messaging over and over, and it's like this magical aura is created around the food Dairy Queen is serving. Viewers begin to subconsciously believe there is something special about it... "why else would their food have fans?"

In actuality, their menu items are no different than soft serve ice cream and chicken fingers anywhere else. But "anywhere else" doesn't have Dairy Queen's marketing budget.

Last edited by Stuntman Mike; 02-12-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
But that's like thinking a Big Mac is new. You might not have the McDonalds menu memorized, but that's always been their thing (well since the 60's or 70's).
Big Mac went nationwide in '68.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:35 PM

Blizzards and concretes are the ideal way to deliver a variety of toppings with ice cream/soft-serve/frozencustard. Without the mixing part you're just pretty much making a sundae which IMHO is a crappy way of delivering toppings. Who wants to eat topping off the side of a lump of ice cream to eventually be left with a plain lump in the middle.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Who wants to eat topping off the side of a lump of ice cream to eventually be left with a plain lump in the middle.
AKA, a McDonald's McFlurry.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
DQ Blizzards were introduced in the 1980s. So, they weren't around when I was a kid, and when they did get introduced, they were kind of a big deal because no one else around was offering anything similar.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:11 PM

1980's was my college years.

I grew up eating sundaes and banana splits at Tastee Freez.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-12-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
1980's was my college years.

I grew up eating sundaes and banana splits at Tastee Freez.
Ever try their chili dog?
Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I haven't been to a DQ since Culver's came to town.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P View Post
I could live in Mint Oreo blizzards. I get them often enough that sometimes I accidentally order them at other places when I meant to get a shake.

Wait, your DQs still have mint?? The ones around here all stopped carrying/offering mint flavoring as well as marshmallow fluff. I used to LOVE mint M&M Blizzards. I was so pissed when they got rid of the mint....

Also. The absolute best Blizzard is the Candy Cane one that comes out in December. Holy crap. Close second is the Pumpkin Pie one. Though that one's an interesting experience. Your first bite you're like 'omg wth is this... it's terrible....' and then you're like.... 'ok I bought it...might as well eat some more...' and then next thing you know the whole thing's gone and you're just in love with it.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:42 PM

I like them, but I don't consider them much more than ice cream with fruit or candy in a cup. I like the Banana Split (bananas, strawberries) and the Heath.

The real deal is the $5 and $6 lunches. Burger or chicken tenders, fries and a small sundae.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
DQ Blizzards were introduced in the 1980s. So, they weren't around when I was a kid, and when they did get introduced, they were kind of a big deal because no one else around was offering anything similar.
Sorry, folks. There were Blizzards at the Dairy Queen in my home town back in the 1960s. They are not, by any reckoning, a new product. They may have showcased them later on. I know they added innovations like different "cores" more recently. But it's an old product.

Here's a 1963 ad for a DQ Blizzard:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...50090471164270

Last edited by CalMeacham; 02-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:53 PM

the Wikipedia entry for Dairy Queen claims the Blizzard was introduced in 1985, which doesn't jibe at all with my memory, which I know is not playing me false on this occasion (note the 1960s Blizzard ad in y last post). But it does have this to say:

Quote:
Prior to the reintroduction of the Blizzard in 1985, Dairy Queen served conventional "thick" milkshakes called "Blizzards" in the 1960s. These were the original Blizzard milkshakes, so thick and creamy, the attendant would demonstrate amazingly by tipping them upside down. They sold for the premium price of 50 cents in 1962. These were served in traditional flavors such as vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry, with or without added malt on request. The Blizzard was also invented by Samuel Temperato, the St. Louis franchisee who invented the Dilly Bar.
I never bought a 1960s'-vintage Blizzard, so I wouldn't know. Note, however, that it was still so thick they presented it upside-down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_Queen

Dairy Queen evidently trademarked the name "Blizzard" in 1952 (!)

https://wendihiebert.com/2009/05/31/...eens-blizzard/

Last edited by CalMeacham; 02-12-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Ever try their chili dog?
I think so. I ate at Tastee Freez a lot during my childhood. It was a ten min walk from my house.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Sorry, folks. There were Blizzards at the Dairy Queen in my home town back in the 1960s.
Yeah, I checked the same Wikipedia page you quoted from. I perhaps should have specified that That Which We Now Know As The Blizzard was introduced in the 1980s.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:28 PM

I used to eat them on a semi-regular basis but not recently. My favorite was chocolate-covered cherry mixed with Nestle's Crunchies. I'd usually buy a large size of one of these and stick it in my freezer for a few hours so it would "ripen". That way the cherries could thoroughly mix with the vanilla soft serve and the chocolate would harden into chunks.

Last FM Library Thing
Old 02-12-2019, 05:10 PM

I went to IU in the 70's/80's and there was a local place called The Penguin (2 locations) that was very popular... every student had to go and try a "Blizzard!" Super thick with all sorts of things they would blend into it for you. So thick they would stick a spoon in it and serve it upside down.

Then in the early 80's DQ notified them that they held the trade mark on "Blizzard" and they had to cease and desist immediately. Everyone in town was furious but they just started selling "Blizzarts." Why would DQ do this since they don't even use the trade mark? Then a month later DQ started a big national campaign for their Blizzard... a direct rip off of the ones from The Penguin.

I still refuse to order one from DQ (my wife and kids aren't so passionate about it).
Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
DQ notified them that they held the trade mark on "Blizzard" and they had to cease and desist immediately. Everyone in town was furious but they just started selling "Blizzarts." Why would DQ do this since they don't even use the trade mark?
Because DQ had been using the mark as far back as July of 1946 and The Penguin likely didn't ask to license it.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:52 PM

I like the banana split Blizzard.

ETA: In fact, I'd like one right now.
“Our government may at some time be in the hands of a bad man. When in the hands of a good man it is all well enough.” But “we ought to have our government so shaped that even when in the hands of a bad man we shall be safe.” Frederick Douglass

Last edited by ThelmaLou; 02-12-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
Because DQ had been using the mark as far back as July of 1946 and The Penguin likely didn't ask to license it.
Well, it really wasn't asked as a serious question. I know why corporations would want to protect their trade mark. At the time though (before DQ introduced their version) people couldn't understand why a big corporation would pick on a small family shop.

The original shop was opened in 1933 (no idea if they served Blizzards then or not) and became the Penguin when their son took over. It closed in 1983 around the same time that they were notified by DQ they couldn't use the name. Reopened by the same family a few years later and is now the Chocolate Moose. Looks like they still serve several varieties of "the Blizz."
Old 02-12-2019, 10:21 PM

I'm indifferent to Blizzards in general, but I used to get a Hawaiian Blizzard (pineapple, coconut and banana) once in a while; those were pretty good.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
No vanilla at all.
If you wanted vanilla why did you order strawberry?
Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 PM

I could really go for a cherry sundae right now. I don't know of any chain other than DQ that offers them.

When I lived in MPS/SP I used to get the them at Bridgeman's, but I don't think they're around any more.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulalia View Post
Exactly what I was going to post! Goddamn I love Culver's.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:32 AM
Charter Member

(bolding mine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud View Post
Well, it really wasn't asked as a serious question. I know why corporations would want to protect their trade mark. At the time though (before DQ introduced their version) people couldn't understand why a big corporation would pick on a small family shop.
You could have mentioned that.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:11 AM

actually in ice cream circles people say the dq blizzards popularity and the whole frozen yougurt thing led to places like coldstone

I remember for the first year or two they were out the dqs where I lived in Indiana gave them away as "sample size" free coupons at all the town festivals and holidays and people were hooked ……

if they didn't want almost a mil in cash for a dq franchise id open one here ….. the ice cream only one we had in the mall closed ant to know something interesting ? the original creator of dq retired in the 40s sold the chain got bored and created tastee freeze o now owned by the garaldi group owners of the weinerschnitzel hot dog chain) had a disagreement with his partner and sold out and started the fosters freeze chain ...he passed on a few years after that .....

Last edited by nightshadea; 02-13-2019 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:47 AM
Charter Member

My go-to meal at DQ is a Flamethrower burger, double patty no cheese, with a side of cheese curds and a chocolate shake. Maybe if I'm feeling decadent I'll just get a basket of chili cheese fries instead.

If I'm in the mood for a dessert, I usually just go with a banana split.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthisar View Post

I'm 47, and remember when they were new. Probably I was under 10 years old, but greater than seven.
They came out in 1985 according to the DQ wiki.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunky Smurf View Post
If you wanted vanilla why did you order strawberry?
By default, soft serve ice cream is vanilla or chocolate. That's been my experience my entire life. Although I'm sure it can be flavored other ways too.

I used to buy a cone or sundae from some place almost every week throughout childhood. Now, I save it for rare treats. A vanilla cone on a hot summer day is still wonderful.

DQ's didn't seem to have any distinguishable flavor.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-13-2019 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:32 AM

You can turn a cup of standard soft serve upside down and it won't fall out?
Old 02-13-2019, 06:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

On a side note, does DQ still make freshly hand-dipped Dilly bars, or are they all machine-made and pre-packaged now?
Old 02-13-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulalia View Post
There are currently 4500 DQ stores in the US, including one in many small towns. There are currently 600 Culver's located mostly in the upper Midwest with a few locations in other states.

In Texas, DQ is ubiquitous with small towns on 2-lane highways and is called the Texas Stop Sign (sad, considering it's a Minnesota company!) Culver's is ubiquitous with high-income suburban developments.

THATS why the Blizzard is popular!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 AM

I'm very happy DQ is making a comeback in Arkansas. They're all in brand new buildings and clean.

I'm not sure why DQ closed here in the mid 1990's. I sure missed then.

Same thing happened with Dennys. We had six locations in the Metro area. By 2004 there was only one left.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-13-2019 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
My go-to meal at DQ is a Flamethrower burger, double patty no cheese, with a side of cheese curds and a chocolate shake. Maybe if I'm feeling decadent I'll just get a basket of chili cheese fries instead.

If I'm in the mood for a dessert, I usually just go with a banana split.
Omg I love that burger. I always get it with onion rings though. I haven't tried the cheese curds....mostly cause I have no idea wth they are or taste like lol And of course always a Blizzard. Depending on the flavor of the month, I might get one. Someone mentioned the Cotton Candy one earlier and I had forgotten about it. It's freaking amazing. But lately I like the uhh truffle candy one? I can't remember what it's called. That or M&Ms.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:35 AM

I'm sort of snobby about frozen custard since I grew up on Milwaukee's Leon's (by grandma's house) and Kopp's (by our house).
Culver's is subpar on two levels for me. One, the custard recipe ain't that great, and two, a flavor of the day should have the 'stuff' mixed into the custard. A cookies n cream should be vanilla custard with cookie bits mixed throughout. Culver's makes you a vanilla sundae/cone with cookie bits sprinkled on it. Lame.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:40 AM

Oh man, I love Blizzards*. I used to get a mudslide blizzard (chocolate sauce, coffee flavoring and crushed Oreos) on the regular. Then my peanut and tree nut allergy showed up in my early twenties and has gotten progressively worse (epi-pen territory now), and there's too much risk of cross contamination.

I really, really, really miss Blizzards, though.

*They debuted in my teen years, when I was a whip-skinny athlete, so I could, and did, eat them on the regular.