Old 02-14-2019, 02:59 PM

When did pickup trucks get so expensive?

Ever since I've owned property I've always thought it would be a good, practical thing to own a pickup truck. Over the years I've priced new pickup trucks and they are outrageously expensive. These days, a new pickup truck will cost you as much or even much, much more than a luxury sedan.

When and how did this happen? Who are all of these people buying $65,000 pickup trucks?!
Old 02-14-2019, 03:03 PM

They've added too much Chrome and other fancy amenities similar to cars.

No one sells a stripped down work truck anymore. Something you wouldn't mind hauling hay or bags of manure in.

Your best bet is buy a used truck. Get a mechanic to check it first.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-14-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
No one sells a stripped down work truck anymore. Something you wouldn't mind hauling hay or bags of manure in.
Not quite true but they are a tiny section of the market. Most people want fancy toys and big truck for 'Mericans.

Quote:
Your best bet is buy a used truck. Get a mechanic can to check it first.
Absolutely agreed

Last edited by Alpha Twit; 02-14-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Yep - they got expensive when they became a status symbol, rather than a farm vehicle. Heck, doesn't Lincoln even have a pickup truck now? That's just wrong.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

You think a Lincoln pickup is bad; here's one from Mercedes.
Old 02-14-2019, 03:41 PM

There's lots of beater work trucks out there for sale. Those bells and whistles depreciate like water in a hot pan.

Lots of people don't do anything with their trucks but drive them to work and to the store. They are buying flash and comfort.

We got a lot of work out our awful trucks. The truck we built our house with had two forward gears, neither of them first, and you couldn't turn off the heater, but not to worry, the windows didn't roll up either. We sold 20 cords of firewood out of that absymal truck, when we cleared the land for our house. Hauled many a ton of gravel from the quarry in it. Oh to be young again.

I have a wonderful truck now. It was expensive (not $65K though) and it drives like a dream. We still get a lot of work out of it although mainly I use it to drag my horse trailer around. But it hurts my heart when it gets a scratch on it. Our first truck you could pitch rocks at it and you'd never see a difference.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:34 PM

Yeah, when I was a kid, it seemed like only rich people owned a $50k+ vehicle.

Now, everybody has a $60-70k truck.

It completely boggles my mind, and how can they afford it?
Old 02-14-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Googling, it seems the average price for a new vehicle is about $36,000. I remember when it was about $20,000.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:19 PM

Dewey, yer just a youngun, I can just barely remember when 15,000 was the price for a high end luxury car.

Best truck our family ever owned was a Jeep pickup. Straight six 4speed manual ran perfect for several years. $700 at a GSA auction. Traded it in on a brand new truck in 86. Found out in that process that it was running on 5 cyclinders not 6. Couldn't tell.

Best truck I've owned recently was a chevy s10, 4 cyclinder 5 speed manual, no bells or whistles. Bought it used, drove it 12 years and the only problem I ever had was a worn out gas cap that didn't seal properly.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Leasing?

So here are some numbers I looked up:
  • In 1986 my Dad bought a new Toyota pickup for about $8000.
    • 2 wheel drive
    • Longbed (8 foot?)
    • Standard cab
    • AC
    • Radio with tape
    • Automatic transmission
    • 22R engine
    • About $18,500 in 2018 dollars
  • 2019 Toyota Tacoma SR
    • 2 wheel drive
    • 6 foot bed only
    • Extended cab with rear seat delete (best match for standard cab)
    • AC
    • Radio with all the fixin's
    • Automatic transmission
    • 2.7 liter 4
    • $24,930 including fees
In 1986 the average purchase price of a new car was $12,651, so his cheap truck was about 65% of the price of the average car. The average price of a new car in 2018 was $35,285, making the new Tacoma about 71% of the price of the average car new.

So, it looks like it is possible to get a basic truck for roughly the same, relative to the average car price. However, the price of the truck has gone up at a higher rate than inflation. Of course the 2019 truck is better in almost every way than the 1986 one.

I would have expected it to come out a lot worse for the current truck, because I too think of basic work trucks as costing about $40k now. I guess that is what happens when you insist on a 4x4 with a big engine.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:27 PM
2018 Midterm Prediction Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Yeah, when I was a kid, it seemed like only rich people owned a $50k+ vehicle.

Now, everybody has a $60-70k truck.

Seven year car loan makes it around 1k a month.

The F150 starts at about 28k, which isn't terrible.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 02-14-2019 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

I have a Chevy Silverado which may fall under the expensive truck the OP is speaking of.

But I still disagree that cheaper trucks aren't available. Just look for them.

I've seen plenty of brand new "farm" pick up trucks for under $18K, with 4 wheel drive under $22K.

There are smaller trucks like Nissan Frontier very nicely equipped for under $24K. If you don't need 4wd I have seen them for under $16K.

My brother bought a freaking gorgeous 2018 Chevy Colorado, loaded to the gills for $27K after rebates and negotiations. That truck is awesome and deserving of every award it's ever gotten. it has everything my Silverado has except the bigger engine. It has a 6.

Is the OP looking at MSRP or prices after rebates and negotiations?
Old 02-14-2019, 07:56 PM

I bought a base-model Nissan pickup in 1986, brand new, for $6,000. You not only can't get a basic truck any more, you can't get a small one, either. They're sized like olives these days, the range only goes from large to colossal; no such thing as a compact truck.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:56 PM

The base models are relatively cheap. The problems is that most people don't want an access cab, and many get 4WD. I just checked the Tacoma price and doing that makes it from $23,835 to $32,045. That's the base trim, the top is over $45,000 without even any accessories.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:36 PM

Agree with the OP. I look at the commercials for trucks these days and they like to appeal to the "working man" blue collar tradesmen types; what with dumping gravel into the back, pulling some obscure piece of machinery up a dirt road, and then going "muddin" on the weekends. No one spending $60K on a [luxury] vehicle is going to be doing any of that stuff, and most construction workers wont have that kind of cash or income to purchase such a vehicle. LOL

I had a basic 2wd Toyota "pickup" regular cab (pre-Tacoma) back in the early 90s. It was a 5-speed manual, had a bench seat and roll-up windows with no AC. The door locks were old-school (not electronic). It was my first new vehicle and I had to pay for everything, so I took good care of it. I don't remember what the price was, but it was probably under $10K. I did not use it for work so much, but more as a fun vehicle for camping, exploring, etc, as well as just general getting around and to my office job. I agree, it may be difficult to find a "basic" truck these days, but a used one you should be able to get a decent one at a decent price.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
I bought a base-model Nissan pickup in 1986, brand new, for $6,000. You not only can't get a basic truck any more, you can't get a small one, either. They're sized like olives these days, the range only goes from large to colossal; no such thing as a compact truck.
You think the Nissan Frontier is large? And I've seen them for 16K which isn't bad for 2019.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites View Post
You think the Nissan Frontier is large? And I've seen them for 16K which isn't bad for 2019.
Compared to the compact pickups that were available in the 80's? Hell yeah they're large.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:58 PM

I'm thinking about buying a truck and I've made the same sticker shock observation DCnDC notes.

I was just reading the March/April 2019 issue of Truck Trend magazine. Their editorial is on exactly this issue - how stupid expensive pick-up trucks have become.

Some stats they note:
- The average price for their eight 1/2 ton competitors for "2019 Pick-up of the Year" was $64,000, with the highest being $75,000.
- To pkbites point, they note that's MSRP, but say typically negotiation / rebates etc reduce the price by 6%. So it's still a lot of money.
- a 1-ton pick-up can easily run to $90,000

The editor also mentions that he bought a new F-150 in 2007 listing at $36,000, with inflation that's now $42,000. The comparably equipped 2019 F-150 lists $60,000.

He doesn't really get into why, except to say companies have realized they can make a lot of profit on pick-ups, so for the last 10- years they've been jacking the prices.

Bottom line - he thinks the pricing has gotten out of hand and a crash is coming.

Interestingly, he says that going forward TT will feature more stories on how to keep your old truck going instead of focusing only on new ones. One of the things he encourages readers to consider is buying an old truck and putting a new motor in it. He says he bought an 02 Silverado for $3,800 and put a new $10,000 Duramax motor into it and he's way ahead.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowthx View Post
I agree, it may be difficult to find a "basic" truck these days, but a used one you should be able to get a decent one at a decent price.
Depends on how used. 90s one would be cheap, but you aren't saving much on a recent one. Pickups are among the least depreciating models.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsnak View Post
Compared to the compact pickups that were available in the 80's? Hell yeah they're large.
No more small trucks because CAFE: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...tation-wagons/
Old 02-14-2019, 10:28 PM

Funny this comes up. My parents had an '88 F-250 4x4 King Cab Lariat with about 70k miles about 20 years ago. My dad died and I tried to sell it for my Mom.

Highest offer was $2k. I said I'd set it on fire for that, and gave my Mom $4k. (below low book)

Been driving it off and on since then, bought a big ol' camper to haul around for the family. Lots of Epic camping trips to Yellowstone, Glacier, all up and down the west coast. Multiple trips to LA for football games for years. It's still in near perfect running condition, and no way could I afford to replace it if I had to. Has everything you need and would be in the 5-figures to replace. Crazy.

The paint sucks, however. And the AC crapped out, but what do want after 30 years?
Old 02-14-2019, 10:43 PM

Yeah, I was looking into pickups recently. I make decent money so I wanted a good one. I walked away saying that if I was going to spend that much money on a vehicle, id rather get a Tesla.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:48 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

At one point, I was thinking it'd be nice to have something along the lines of a Ford Ranger with 4X4 and what Ford is calling SuperCab (basically a back bench seat but only two doors). (Various life changes have killed that idea.) Thing is, that sort of truck was not being sold as recently as a couple years ago, as Ford just started making the Ranger again for 2019. Even a fairly basic build in a 2019 model is about $31,000 (basically the base model with 4x4 and one other package to get cruise control and power mirrors). Getting used is nearly impossible due to the model being discontinued between 2011 and 2018. There's plenty of massive (and fairly useless, in my opinion) F150s, F250s, and even F350s (and similar models by other manufacturers) on the used market, and they still cost a ton.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:07 PM

too many foreign soccer moms buying them ,,,,,,, among the Asian and Latina women around here its there idea of an suv used to be only the men drove them because of the construction and landscaping trades

but an odd trend started when little Juana or mei ling got her first job out of high school she wanted the truck she remembered daddy having only with upgrades and when she married she traded up for one she could cart the rugrats around in the local dealers even call certain styles "mommobiles"

hence that's why a lot pf them are decked out like suvs and minivans …….. and if you see them trying to park a full sized ram or f-150 for 20 minutes and then see a tiny barley 5 ft 98 pound girl pop out with 3 kids in tow...….its a shock the first 3 or 3 times

one well known lady was advised to sell hers after her 3rd near miss because sitting on 3 phone books to see over the dash wasn't considered safe...….

Last edited by nightshadea; 02-14-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMANCANADA View Post
He doesn't really get into why, except to say companies have realized they can make a lot of profit on pick-ups, so for the last 10- years they've been jacking the prices.
It's the market. People really want pickup trucks. That's why the automakers can sell them for so much. A lot of people in this thread think the prices are high (and I agree with them), but the three best selling vehicles in the US last year were all pickup trucks, and by a wide margin.

I agree, trucks have gotten huge. My secondary vehicle is a 2000 Suburban, so the same size as that years Silverado 1500. I occasionally park it next to a much newer Silverado 2500, and the Suburban is tiny in comparison.

One of the reasons for this is import tariffs on light trucks---the infamous chicken tax. Another is the way corporate average fuel economy is worked out. Larger vehicles don't need to be as fuel efficient, as smaller ones. The CAFE standards are more complicated than that, but between the two there has been a disincentive to make small trucks like my 1986 Toyota, or even the old Rangers. Today's Colorado and Ranger aren't that small.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightshadea View Post
too many foreign soccer moms buying them ,,,,,,, among the Asian and Latina women around here its there idea of an suv used to be only the men drove them because of the construction and landscaping trades

but an odd trend started when little Juana or mei ling got her first job out of high school she wanted the truck she remembered daddy having only with upgrades and when she married she traded up for one she could cart the rugrats around in the local dealers even call certain styles "mommobiles"

hence that's why a lot pf them are decked out like suvs and minivans .. and if you see them trying to park a full sized ram or f-150 for 20 minutes and then see a tiny barley 5 ft 98 pound girl pop out with 3 kids in tow....its a shock the first 3 or 3 times

one well known lady was advised to sell hers after her 3rd near miss because sitting on 3 phone books to see over the dash wasn't considered safe....
Yeah, it can't be the douchebag bros, houseflipper wannabes, and fake tan/blonde Barbie Doll SAHM with the rich husband. Gotta be the brown people.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I have a Chevy Silverado which may fall under the expensive truck the OP is speaking of.
My gf likes the idea of owning a "farm truck" even though she only drives it to the feed store once a week. Her old truck was getting tired, so she sold it and bought a beautiful used Silverado.

She cracks me up. When she brought it home I heard it rumbling. It has two freaking exhaust pipes and a step to help get in and out.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:55 AM

Four years ago I wanted a 4X4 truck.

Now throughout my life I have always driven older, used vehicles. I've always paid cash, and have never spent more than $8K for a vehicle. I did not make an exception for purchasing a truck.

I did not want to pay more than $6K for a truck. I searched and searched on Craigslist, but all I could find were trucks that had a lot of miles and/or a significant amount of rust. (I live in Ohio, and rust is a big problem here.)

And then I recalled something my uncle does. He restores classic Mustangs. He (also) lives in Ohio, but most of his mustangs come from Oklahoma. Why? Because rust is not a big problem there. His reasoning is quiet sound: it is far better to spend two days going to Oklahoma and back to pick up a rust-free Mustang vs. spending many months fixing rust on a Mustang purchased in Ohio.

So it just so happened I had a TDY to Tinker AFB in Oklahoma. I got on Craigslist and found a truck for sale in Oklahoma City. It was a 2000 F-150, 4X4, 8 foot bed, 90,000 miles, and no rust. Price: $4500. In Ohio, $4500 will get you a rusty F-150 with 260K miles.

So I rented a car (one-way rental), drove out to Oklahoma City, did my work, purchased the truck, and drove it home. And because it was a TDY, I got 55 cents a mile for driving it back home.

It's been a great truck.

Last edited by Crafter_Man; 02-15-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicks Ate View Post
Yeah, it can't be the douchebag bros, houseflipper wannabes, and fake tan/blonde Barbie Doll SAHM with the rich husband. Gotta be the brown people.
I was also very shocked by that post.

Around here, trucks are very much status symbols. And if they aren't already gigantic enough, they lift them and put on even larger tires. Bonus points for getting a diesel engine and putting on ginormous exhaust so everyone can hear you coming.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Is the OP looking at MSRP or prices after rebates and negotiations?
Just general pricing. Although a lot can be extrapolated from just the rebates being offered; when I see an advertisement offering $5000 cash back, they're talking about at least a $50,000 vehicle.

That's crazy to me; I've bought cars whole hog for $5k. I don't feel like my choices for $50,000 should be luxury sedan, customized sports car, or pickup truck.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
...And because it was a TDY, I got 55 cents a mile for driving it back home.
TDY? Sorry for being dense but can I get a translation please?
Old 02-15-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Twit View Post
TDY? Sorry for being dense but can I get a translation please?
"Temporary duty assignment"
Old 02-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I don't feel like my choices for $50,000 should be luxury sedan, customized sports car, or pickup truck.
With a few well chosen accessories, you can push a top of the line Toyota Sienna minivan to over $50K.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:33 PM

TV commercial I saw yesterday offered more than $11,000 off on a new truck.

How much must it cost if they can knock off $11,X00 BEFORE negotiations begin?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what ad you saw, but this page shows an offer of $11,000 in incentives for a 2018 Chevy Silverado if bought before the end of October 2018. It includes "$7,250 customer cash plus a $3,000 price reduction and a $750 option package discount when financing with GM Financial." The $3,000 is off the MSRP, but who is paying MSRP? The $750 requires you to buy an inflated option package. And of course you have to finance the thing through them, where they'll make some of the money back.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The price for a brand new RAM 1500 Tradesman work truck starts at $24,000. They're about as "stripped down" as you can get. The starting MSRP for a basic Nissan Frontier is under $19,000. There are plenty of inexpensive trucks on the market. The problem is that most people aren't looking to haul around bags of shit or sacks of hay. They want something nice. Nicer things naturally cost more.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
As noted, compared to the "sport trucks" of the 80s & 90s, that were small enough that a short feller like me could hop into the bed from the side without much effort, yeah, they're big. And ridiculous because despite their size they don't actually haul appreciably more stuff. In fact, the beds are a lot shorter now (unless you go behemoth), making them pretty much useless as trucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtura View Post
Yeah, I was looking into pickups recently. I make decent money so I wanted a good one. I walked away saying that if I was going to spend that much money on a vehicle, id rather get a Tesla.
My takeaway was: for that kind of money I'm just gonna buy fun cars and pay to have stuff delivered, or rent a pickup if I must haul my own stuff.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:51 PM

They got expensive a long time ago. My grandfather's last vehicle, a king cab extended bed pickup purchased in 1994, was over 40k then.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear_Nenno View Post
The price for a brand new RAM 1500 Tradesman work truck starts at $24,000. They're about as "stripped down" as you can get. The starting MSRP for a basic Nissan Frontier is under $19,000. There are plenty of inexpensive trucks on the market. The problem is that most people aren't looking to haul around bags of shit or sacks of hay. They want something nice. Nicer things naturally cost more.
Getting four wheel drive on that Nissan Frontier pushes the cost to 28k. A 2 by pickup is pretty worthless IMHO.

Anyway, 28k isn't too bad. And it's true, your average SUV today isn't what we had in a 1975 Blazer. This is a good thing. While those old trucks where pretty tough I do appreciate what we get in new cars today. For one thing, they don't require you to be a part time mechanic.

Just bought a '19 Toyota 4Runner. 40k. It's smack dab in the middle of 7 different models made of the vehicle. I will easily get 200,000 miles out of it. Love the truck.

Bought an '04 Dodge 'Ram' (please, can't we just call them Dodge) 1500 a few years ago for a plow truck. Lightly used. 10k.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Does safety have anything to do with it? I recall reading a long time ago that pickups were cheap because they didn't have to have the safety features of an ordinary car, were inherently unstable without a load, were popular as starter "cars" with young men because they were cheap and "macho," and that the combination of unsafe vehicle and shitty drivers made insurance on small pickups very expensive. (The insurance part isn't relevant to this discussion, but that was the point of the article.) Have mandatory safety improvements made pickups more expensive?
Old 02-16-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I don't feel like my choices for $50,000 should be luxury sedan, customized sports car, or pickup truck.

Like I posted before, my brother bought a beautiful brand new Chevy Colorado loaded to the gills for $27K, And Ive seen new Nissan Pro4x (which I think is a pretty neat ride) for under $29K. And I've seen Regular Nissan Frontiers with 4WD, air, cruise, etc for $24K brand new. These are all only about half of the 50 grand some of you are complaining about. And they're really nice looking/performing trucks.

Decent new trucks at decent prices are out there.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:52 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Our pickup is truly an anomaly - a 2008 Chevy Silverado with an 8' bed and that's about it. The windows have hand cranks. It doesn't have power locks or bluetooth, tho it does have AM/FM/CD. The seats are cloth, the flooring is plastic.

We bought it used with about 10K miles on it for (I think) $13K, including our tradein. Ten years later, I think it's got about 65K miles on it, so around 5K miles a year. We will keep it till it dies. It has served us well.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:08 PM

When I was in high school, just starting driving (1974 or 75), I remember my brother making a comment, "How do people afford a new pickup? You see them all over the place, but those things have to cost at least $5000, or more! How do they afford it?"

This ain't nothin' new.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:35 PM

My pickup is over 10 years old and has manual transmission, windows, locks and a crappy after market radio and I love it. I dread the day I have to get rid of it and get a new car or truck. Finding something similar is getting more and more difficult.

I am a firm believer in what Scotty said in Star Trek III : The Search for Spock, "The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." Just give me a basic, manual auto and I am fine.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

hence that's why a lot pf them are decked out like suvs and minivans .. and if you see them trying to park a full sized ram or f-150 for 20 minutes and then see a tiny barley 5 ft 98 pound girl pop out with 3 kids in tow....its a shock the first 3 or 3 times

one well known lady was advised to sell hers after her 3rd near miss because sitting on 3 phone books to see over the dash wasn't considered safe....
Lovely.

I'm sorry but I'm neither a "Juana" nor a "Mei Ling", but I find your statement horribly offensive.

StG
Old 02-16-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGermain View Post
Lovely.

I'm sorry but I'm neither a "Juana" nor a "Mei Ling", but I find your statement horribly offensive.

StG
I agree. FU nightshadea.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:33 PM

To answer the OP's question...the Super plutonium Platinum High Country King Ranch Lariat 1592 trims are huge money makers for the industry.

You can get a mid level (e.g. XLT in Ford World) trim for ok money.
20 years ago that was top spec. options.

Also be aware that what used to be 3/4 & 1 ton diesel towing specs are now 1/2 ton gas spec's.

You want to tow 12,000 with your F150?
No problem.

20 years ago that would have been suicidal.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:09 AM

Be care with tires too. They have to be rated for the weight your truck carries.

I hired a landscaper to put in a raised flowerbed. I went with him to get the landscape blocks, topsoil, plants, mulch etc.

There had to be 800 to 900 lbs in that 3/4 ton truck. He was very worried the cheap tires would pop. They were squashed down and I was glad we made it back home without a break down.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-17-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:48 AM
Robot Mod in Beta Testing

Moderator Note

Quote:

I'm not sure what this is, other than a weird rant using offensive stereotypes, to make, um... some kind of point, I guess. Let's not do it again in IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberdale View Post
I agree. FU nightshadea.
Take the FUs to the Pit, please.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
Depends on how used. 90s one would be cheap, but you aren't saving much on a recent one. Pickups are among the least depreciating models.

No more small trucks because CAFE: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...tation-wagons/
So that's why I can't replace my Ranger. Which is a 4 cylinder with 17 mpg.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:57 PM

My first truck was one of these https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...plg221-pickup/ had a setup for hand cranking the little motor. I could jumpstart it walking beside it then hopping in, it could drive down the sidewalk.
I was jazzed. 900 bucks used.
Several decades and trucks later I still have my 2000 tundra, even though the gas mileage bites. The new Tundras are huge, as are the F150's.
Useless 4 wheel drive for the cities, nav and safety systems, stereos, internet, tvs....etc... its a wonder that they arent 100k....

Its when all that stuff needs to be repaired, which is probably will, that you find out the true cost!!