View Poll Results: How many times have you been the victim of a violent crime?
0 159 72.60%
1 31 14.16%
2 7 3.20%
3 4 1.83%
4 or more 18 8.22%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2019, 10:22 PM

How many times have you been a victim of a violent crime?

The subject kind of says it all. There's a thread in GD talking about having a gun for self defense, and it seems like quite a few people have been involved life threatening violent crime. I'm kind of wondering how commonplace this is for Americans (non-Americans can answer to of course).
Old 02-14-2019, 10:24 PM

So voting in my own poll. When I was a teenager, another kid drew a knife on me. Nothing happened, other than him threatening me. I'm going to count it so voted one.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:26 PM

American. Zero. (I assume the potential victim is just me, not, say, a close relative).
Old 02-14-2019, 10:38 PM

To keep it simple, it is probably best to stick with you personally. But hey, I'm not the boss of the boards so people can do what they like.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:44 AM

Do I count the two times I heard someone breaking into my house and I told them I had a gun, and they left?

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 02-15-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilarity N. Suze View Post
Do I count the two times I heard someone breaking into my house and I told them I had a gun, and they left?
Depends on whether you consider damage to/invsasion of property to be "violence", I guess. Myself, I'd say that unless you were attacked personally, or threated with a personal attack, no, that's a crime of burglary, not a crime of violence.

But you may disagree, obviously.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:40 AM

Do I count the time a Hell's Angel's guy put a loaded gun to my head? Luckily his gf talked him out of blowing my head off.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Victim? None, but I've stopped two.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:41 AM
Charter Member

Having grown up in a violence-prone area and as an adult lived in some sketchy neighborhoods due to lack of funds for a nicer place I have, unfortunately, been subjected to violence in the "more than four times" category.

I didn't want to move back last September, and didn't enjoy the financial hit to my rainy day fund, but one very nice bonus is living in a safer neighborhood.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

I somehow won the trifecta on this. I have no idea why, and cannot find any common elements (other than perhaps my own naivete and lack of awareness in certain situations).

1. A group of "urban youths" decided I'd crossed some invisible geographical boundary by using a public restroom to which they owned the title. One second standing contentedly at a urinal, the next on the floor being pounded and kicked.
Result: Authorities contacted, little interest due to no names or identifying attributes.

2. A recently paroled violent animal decided I should be its next accomplishment. The creature been in stir for a previous home invasion in which the apparent goal was harming the occupants. Ditto for me -- no attempt at theft.
Result: Authorities contacted, lots of noise and wind, they said I would need to press charges myself in order to return the animal to its cage. The animal that they had already let out, and which earlier had reminded me it knew where I lived and would return for me and family upon its next release should it be re-arrested.

3. A parking lot confrontation where another subhuman believed I had brushed against its car -- and ran around and punched me (hard). I had to be evaluated for a concussion later.
Result: Authorities contacted, lots of interviews on scene with eyewitnesses and the license number of the creature's car. Eventually a detective "investigated" it and over the next few months gave me lots of excuses about how difficult it was to find people. After several months I was informed the case had been "administratively removed" and would not be prosecuted.

As you might have gathered, I have zero confidence in the criminal justice industry, and the same for crime stats. The police officers themselves seem to be competent and trying the do their job, the rest of the bureaucracy is merely processing criminals as part of their business model. With a failure rate (recidivism) hovering around 75%, I view it as the least competent industry in existence. Depending on this level of incompetence to protect one's self and family is simply idiotic. I take my own steps to ensure our safety, and don't give a flying f*ck about statistics. And yes the wording above is intentional. I no longer apply human pronouns to violent criminals.

Last edited by pullin; 02-15-2019 at 06:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2019, 06:17 AM

I have been punched in the face quite a few times - I have that kind of face, and a certain way with words. I don't think guns would have improved the situation for anybody involved.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

I got punched in the face once, by a lunatic who was following a young lady down a NYC street in the dead of night. The Mrs. and I were nearby and interceded, with the two ladies taking refuge in a doorman building and I getting a swat in the chops before the dude ran away.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Do I count the time a Hell's Angel's guy put a loaded gun to my head? Luckily his gf talked him out of blowing my head off.
Ummm... I would definitely say that counts.

As for other examples, again, I leave it to the voter to decide what counts or not. Personally, I would say being the victim of an attempted home invasion counts, even if you scare them off.

At this point zero has a pretty commanding lead being three times the sum of all other options. I wouldn't expect that result to change much at this point.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:15 AM

I got jumped by a "girl" (I was 18) leaving a bar once because I dumped a beer on her boyfriend's head after he grabbed my boob. A couple of bruises and a lost contact lens. You'd think she'd be pissed at her shitty boyfriend for grabbing my boob, but no. Attack me.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Got shot at once in the country. A group of us were walking around an old country road shooting fire works and a landowner came out and started shooting at us. He then got in his truck and tried to hit us. A girl with us ended up injured pretty badly. He told the cops he thought we had guns and we were trying to invade his house. No one died.

I had a gun pulled on me during a drug deal gone bad, although we settled it down and no one got hurt.

I had a guy break into my house while I was sleeping and he stole some stuff off of me.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:34 AM

Never. I have family members who were, but not me. My apartment has been robbed, but I wasn't home. I have family members who worked at a restaurant that was robbed, and the bad guy fired a shotgun into the ceiling.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

A domestic violence incident which I might not have survived had it not been for the man who was repairing our air conditioner at the time. He heard my screams and intervened.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:44 AM

I've had a couple of tense encounters but never actually victimized with violence. In my experience (American), your chances of being a victim depend a lot on where you live and work. There are some places where your chances of being victimized are highly unlikely, but if you live in an urban or industrial setting, the threat is ever-present, daily.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

I would also suggest that the poll results will likely skew towards the 'victim' end as those who have been victims of violence are more likely to be drawn to the poll.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:59 AM
born to be shunned

I went 4 or more but there needs to be some explanation. One was seriously violent in the sense that someone kicked their way into my house at about 1am and there were a couple attempted robberies/muggings. But the majority were more a case of the wrong place at the wrong time or the fact that I hang out in some pretty tough places with some seriously strange people. I wouldn't count the dude who broke a pool cue across my back because of when and where it happened but I still have an odd lump across the one shoulder-blade from that one. I'm not sure I would count the guy who tried to kill me (seriously - he told the cops his aim was my death) with his car back in the carefree days of my youth; he was drunk, his daughter had run off with a biker, and here I was riding past on a chopper. But as the one x-ray tech once said --- I've had an interesting life.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:14 AM

I was victim of an assault once. A guy who was probably unhinged in some way attacked me, apparently thinking that old meme about 'driving the nose up into the brain kills the person' was true - he didn't hit me with a fist, but instead with the flat of his hand as if he were trying to give me a permanent pig-nose, then he ran away when that didn't work.

A gun would not have improved the situation at all for me had I been carrying one, I can't think of any way it would have been a useful thing to have that day. Naturally, not everyone's experience is mine, but there's the anecdote anyway.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:15 AM

As an adult, no. Almost did a few years back when I was buckling my son into his car seat, and some asshole started honking his horn and cussing at me to shut the door and get out of "his" parking space. Told him "Fuck off, asshole.", which had him getting out of his car to presumably fight with me, but I got in my truck and drove away before he could actually do anything.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:18 AM

Zero. (A Texan in a bar punched me once, but I won't count that it hardly hurt and I sorta had it coming.) I've been a victim of street crime a few times but never was a weapon brandished. (I'm sometimes hot-headed so my NOT packing heat was probably a good thing on those occasions. The cash losses to these minor street crimes were orders of magnitude less than my losses to frauds.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
... In my experience (American), your chances of being a victim depend a lot on where you live and work. There are some places where your chances of being victimized are highly unlikely, but if you live in an urban or industrial setting, the threat is ever-present, daily.
I think so. And many or most of the violent crimes may not be random, but rather by an attacker who has a specific grudge against his victim.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
I would also suggest that the poll results will likely skew towards the 'victim' end as those who have been victims of violence are more likely to be drawn to the poll.
Yeah, this. You're not going to get an accurate view since people who have a story to tell are more likely to read the thread and vote. People with nothing to add are more likely to skip the thread.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Three times. Fortunately, I know how to get very very angry and use self-defense.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Yeah, this. You're not going to get an accurate view since people who have a story to tell are more likely to read the thread and vote. People with nothing to add are more likely to skip the thread.
And yet, the poll is way balanced to "0". 70% report none. Like me.

And it wasn't like I did anything special.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Zero. (A Texan in a bar punched me once, but I won't count that it hardly hurt and I sorta had it coming.) I've been a victim of street crime a few times but never was a weapon brandished. (I'm sometimes hot-headed so my NOT packing heat was probably a good thing on those occasions. The cash losses to these minor street crimes were orders of magnitude less than my losses to frauds.)

I think so. And many or most of the violent crimes may not be random, but rather by an attacker who has a specific grudge against his victim.
It's the random assaults (or in my case near assaults) that freak me out. I remember when I was out in California in what I'd call a nice, quiet, safe neighborhood. I was walking to a neighborhood McDonald's when this middle age guy came charging out of his house, like he was lying in wait. Just as soon as he came out I think he must have realized that he had the wrong idea about who I was because he stopped and said nothing - I just tried to keep walking like I wasn't startled (my heart was pumping for sure). My guess was that someone had been vandalizing his truck at night and I suspect he must have assumed I was said vandal.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:31 AM

I voted none. But realized I've been punched before in a bar fight or two back in my 20s. I don't supposed those are really violent crimes, though. Just idiots being drunk idiots.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
Is the majority of zeroes only showing on my screen? I think it will go more like what I did - I input my response, but didn't post because nothing happened. Unless you assume I'm lying, which many people do (a Kentucky thing).
Old 02-15-2019, 09:39 AM

On a cross country team practice in the woods: A pervert grabbed me and probably would have raped me if a teammate hadn't heard me screaming and ran to find me. I was by far the slowest member of the team, and if my teammate hadn't been sick and running slowly that day, no one would have heard me.

Police cannot prevent every crime; they can only investigate and hopefully prevent further crimes by the same person by getting that person out of society. To say that few Americans are victims of crimes and therefore Americans don't need guns for self defense would suggest that violent crimes up to a certain, as yet unnamed number, are acceptable. Victims of violent crimes, or family members of those lost to violent crime would probably tell you that they didn't want to be part of that number.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
Is the majority of zeroes only showing on my screen? I think it will go more like what I did - I input my response, but didn't post because nothing happened. Unless you assume I'm lying, which many people do (a Kentucky thing).
That doesn't prove much, though, as far as which way this poll may skew. In a controlled survey the "Yes" votes may make up 99% of the total, there is no way to know.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 AM

Just once. As a teenager another teenager punched me in the face for absolutely no reason. It was completely a sucker punch. Even if I had a gun, I wouldn't have had time to pull it out. After he hit me, he left.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Unless I count a fight in the sixth grade with Timmy Plummer, never. I've lived in large and small cities, six states and six countries, and visited at least 25 countries. Never a problem.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:01 AM

Missed edit window:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbrown01 View Post
That doesn't prove much, though, as far as which way this poll may skew. In a controlled survey the "Yes" votes may make up 99% of the total, there is no way to know.

ETA - these stats show that about 1.5-2% of people in the US were victims of violent crime in 2017.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Mugged twice in New York City in the 1970s. Once three teens jumped me, knocked me down, and went through my pockets. Once a guy pulled a gun on me on the subway.

That's not counting a few fist fights in grade school. I'm also not counting being mugged once in Panama, again by several teens who jumped me.

Last edited by Colibri; 02-15-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:28 AM
Corellian Nerfherder

Not counting stupid, blink-and-it's-over fights in grade school and high school, I've never personally been a victim of a violent crime.

I've had my wallet stolen out of my room once (when I had housemates, and one of them had a friend staying overnight, who turned out to be a thief), I've had my car broken into once (while it was parked at the train station), and I've had someone steal the gate from my back fence, but I classify none of those as violent crimes (and, in all three cases, I wasn't physically present when it happened).
Old 02-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Hmm - I put zero, but I didn't count the kids who threatened me with a knife in middle school, or the guy who slapped me in the face while I was crossing a crowded street (I'm fairly certain that was unintentional - he was probably just flinging his arm out).

I had the same reaction to that thread. I worry about heart disease, cancer, and getting run over by a vehicle, since I'm a frequent pedestrian. Home invasion never enters my mind, unless I happen to see a particularly brutal example in a T.V. show.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:18 AM

Only real example was when I was about 16. Without providing specifics, I did something stupid and reckless while driving and angered at least one person in the process. A few minutes later, I was parked and chatting with a friend through my open passenger window when the person I angered walked up to my open driver's window and delivered two quick punches to my face. I was basically to stunned to react and barely registered the 30 seconds of verbal assault that followed.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:28 AM

American -- once. But it was in Honduras. I was jumped by 4 youths late at night, trying to rob me. They were armed with beer bottles and rocks. But they were skinny, and I am large (I'm a big guy for an American, which generally means a giant in Honduras) and was at the nigh-perfect level of inebriation to feel absolutely no fear (and no pain from their attacks) while retaining necessary physical coordination, and I successfully fought them off.

They did (I assume it was them -- I was gone at the time) break into the place I was staying at a few weeks later and stole my laptop, though. That sucked.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:54 AM

I didn't count most of the bar fights I've been in. But once I had a guy pull a knife on my I talked him out of stabbing me but took my eyes off of him just long enough to get knocked out and then him and his three friends started kicking me when I was on the ground unconscious. Luckily it took long enough to get him to put the knife away a couple of friends notices and jumped into the fight before they could do any damage. We ended up calling the cops due to the knife but apparently they couldn't find the guy.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:01 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I've been incredibly fortunate to have never been the victim of a violent crime.

And now that I've said that, I fully expect to be murdered on my way to my car this afternoon.

I had a good run.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Of course most people haven't been and won't be violent crime victims - the countries where Dopers live have law and order and for the most part you're pretty safe.

As noted - where you are/live/work can increase (or decrease) your risk.

Over the past few decades crime has actually dropped in the US, regardless of all the hysterical media stories. Most of my experiences with violence took place in the 1970's and 1970's. Since the 1990's there have been only two incidents, and that was with us living next to a bar that became crime-infested at one point so yeah, that upped the odds.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:08 PM

I've never been the victim of a violent crime, or any serious crime for that matter.

The only thing I can think of is when my portable CD player got swiped out of my car when I was in high school. I had left the windows down and the doors unlocked.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:36 PM

I voted "4 or more" with the caveat that I'm including in my total 3 assaults by the Apartheid-era police. That plus 2 rapes, one knifepoint mugging and 2 assaults as a result of bar fights I was drawn into.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:48 PM

More than 4 but I survived. If any of my assailants had had guns I wouldn't have.

Australian

Last edited by Thylacine; 02-15-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added location
Old 02-15-2019, 12:52 PM

I said zero, since I figure that one time in middle school when I was punched by another kid doesn't count.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:03 PM

I've twice been in situations where it appeared I was in danger of being jumped or robbed late at night. Fortunately in both situations undercover police officers appeared and that took care of the bad guys. So I answered zero.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UDS View Post
Depends on whether you consider damage to/invsasion of property to be "violence", I guess. Myself, I'd say that unless you were attacked personally, or threated with a personal attack, no, that's a crime of burglary, not a crime of violence.

But you may disagree, obviously.
How do I know what they had planned if they got inside? I find it threatening. They could have left because now they knew someone was home, or they could have left because now they knew a person inside the house had a gun. If someone tries to break into my house while I'm there I do feel like I'm being attacked personally.

Okay, Denver in the '80s. I go to jury duty. Get on a panel of maybe 40 people. Judge asks, "How many of you have been a victim of a crime?"

Every...single...hand goes up.

Judge says, "Let me amend that, how many have been a victim of a violent crime against your person," and goes on to elaborate that this does not mean having your car stolen from where it's parked or your house burglarized when you weren't home. Okay, now it's about 60 percent of the panel raising their hands.

I could only conclude that people living in Denver's good neighborhoods also knew how to avoid jury duty.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:40 PM

Maybe half? Mom, my brother and me vacationing in Hawaii. Bro decided he wanted to buy some hash, so I tagged along (I would have been 11 ish, bro was 14). Well, Bro smoked some (I wasn't into teh drugz) and decided it wasn't any good. Not wanting the expenditure to be a complete waste, he decided he'd try and recoup some of his loss by putting it back on the market. We ended up getting mugged by a couple prospective buyers. Bro got smacked a bit, but they left me alone because I was just a little kid. Still, it scared poo out of me and I learned my lesson that day, and have never since tried to sell dope in Waikiki!

I've taken a punch or two from strangers, but nothing I'd really consider to be on the level of 'violent crime.' Just proximity to assholes.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:43 PM

I said zero. A small punch-up in grade school with a girl bully doesn't count.