Old 02-16-2019, 08:50 AM

Payless Shoes - closing all 2100 US stores

I've bought my shoes at Payless since elementary school. It's the only shoe store I've ever used.

Who buys shows online? I would never buy shoes without trying them on. I will never buy shoes online.

I guess JC Penney will be my new shoe store. That's where I buy my clothes.

Yeah, I know... Internet shopping is killing them too. They also have a very nice online store that ships fast.

I have a lifetime of memories at Payless Shoes. I got a fresh pair of shoes every August before school started. My kids shoes were bought there. Yet another piece of my life gone.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/15/busin...upt/index.html
Quote:
The discount shoe store will close all 2,100 of its locations in the United States and Puerto Rico in the coming months, a spokesperson told CNN Business on Friday. Liquidation sales will begin on Sunday and stores will begin closing in March, though most will say open until May

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-16-2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

I didn't realize there were that many left, actually. They used to be in every little city and town, but all the nearby ones I know about have been gone at least half a decade.
ETA: My wife informs me there's one in the nearby mall still open, so apparently I wasn't paying enough attention. Of course now, I'll pay less.

Last edited by TimeWinder; 02-16-2019 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:57 AM

I like DSW as a bricks-and-mortar shoe store. They carry overstock and last year's models of shoes. The shoes come from a large assortment of brand names and their prices are low(ish).
Old 02-16-2019, 09:05 AM

That is sad. But I'm probably part of the problem. I buy all my clothes/shoes online. I know my size, and hate, hate hate hate 'shopping'. Very worth it to me to get the occasional dud.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeWinder View Post
I didn't realize there were that many left, actually. They used to be in every little city and town, but all the nearby ones I know about have been gone at least half a decade.
ETA: My wife informs me there's one in the nearby mall still open, so apparently I wasn't paying enough attention. Of course now, I'll pay less.
I checked and the Payless store in my small hometown is still open. Been at the same location since the mid 1960's.

I guess my last visit was in the 1980's during a trip home from college.

There several Payless stores in my city.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:40 AM

Don't think that I've ever set foot (get it?) in a specific "shoe store." My shoes have always came from the shoe section of big box store (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, TG&Y, Sky City.)
Old 02-16-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Who buys shows online? I would never buy shoes without trying them on. I will never buy shoes online.
Loads of people, obviously. That's why the brick and mortar stores are closing.

And online shoe retailers are very good at what they do. Zappos, for instance, lists a lot of measurements/dimensions for every model they sell, along with crowd-sourced fit reviews (conforms to size expectations or not). And they make returning items very easy, so if you're unsure of what size to get, order both, try them on, and send one back.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by araminty View Post
Loads of people, obviously. That's why the brick and mortar stores are closing.

And online shoe retailers are very good at what they do. Zappos, for instance, lists a lot of measurements/dimensions for every model they sell, along with crowd-sourced fit reviews (conforms to size expectations or not). And they make returning items very easy, so if you're unsure of what size to get, order both, try them on, and send one back.
Exactly. And return shipping is free. Unless you have some strange condition, why in the world wouldnít you buy online? Itís especially convenient if you have a brand and style that you like.
Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Garrison View Post
Don't think that I've ever set foot (get it?) in a specific "shoe store." My shoes have always came from the shoe section of big box store (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, TG&Y, Sky City.)
Around here, the shoe department inside the big box store is/was Payless Shoes. At least at Shopko. Which is also closing.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:15 PM

I have long, narrow, jacked-up dancers feet. I don't think I've ever bought shoes at a Payless. Maybe a pair of flipflops, once. The one I used to walk by has been gone. There's another store there, ShoeShow, I think. It looks to have the same inventory.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:31 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wguy123 View Post
Around here, the shoe department inside the big box store is/was Payless Shoes. At least at Shopko. Which is also closing.
I knew that Shopko wasn't doing well (they're based in my hometown), but I hadn't realized that they filed for bankruptcy, and announced last week that they're closing 70% of their stores. Doesn't look good for them at all.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I knew that Shopko wasn't doing well (they're based in my hometown), but I hadn't realized that they filed for bankruptcy, and announced last week that they're closing 70% of their stores. Doesn't look good for them at all.
It seems all of them in this area are closing. Shopko was my only choice for many, many years before Walmart rolled into the area.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario View Post
Exactly. And return shipping is free. Unless you have some strange condition, why in the world wouldnít you buy online? Itís especially convenient if you have a brand and style that you like.
Why would I wait for something to be delivered to me, and possibly pay shipping, and then if it's wrong or poor quality I have to go through the whole rigamarole all over again?

I can drive to my favorite store just a couple miles away, buy my shoes, and be back home in less than an hour. Now that's convenience.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:36 PM

I usually try on three or four shoes before deciding on one that fits and looks good.

It's not an item that I can pick out on a web page.

I'm the same with shirts. I like to try them on first before deciding.

Last edited by aceplace57; 02-16-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Why would I wait for something to be delivered to me, and possibly pay shipping, and then if it's wrong or poor quality I have to go through the whole rigamarole all over again?

I can drive to my favorite store just a couple miles away, buy my shoes, and be back home in less than an hour. Now that's convenience.
People have different preferences. Some like to shop at 2:00 a.m. on their iPad. Some like to drive to a store when it's open. Neither way is "better." I go a third way. It takes me about 90 minutes to get to Nordstrom's to get my shoes. I do it about once a year. I'd rather do that then go to Payless or shop online.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:39 PM

Some folks don't live close to any stores. I do online shopping a bunch because where I live it's a big trip to do any shopping. I try to consolidate all my needs in one trip as much as possible. And I have an small problem with the idea of trying on shoes that some other feet may have been in. I know it's all in my head but it's one of my phobias. I don't fault the regular people trying on shoes. It's just me. I can pretend the shoes I buy online have no germs in them.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckdawrek View Post
Some folks don't live close to any stores. I do online shopping a bunch because where I live it's a big trip to do any shopping. I try to consolidate all my needs in one trip as much as possible. And I have an small problem with the idea of trying on shoes that some other feet may have been in. I know it's all in my head but it's one of my phobias. I don't fault the regular people trying on shoes. It's just me. I can pretend the shoes I buy online have no germs in them.
How do you feel about renting bowling shoes?

Old 02-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post

As said, some people live far away from good stores. But also, online shopping gives you more options than many stores. For example, Zappos has seventeen types of ECCO (a brand of men's shoes) loafers in size 9. Meanwhile the department stores might have two or three types.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:43 PM
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member

Quote:
Who buys shows online?
I do. At least I buy all my Skechers online. I have yet to be disappointed.

If the time comes that I need nicer shoes, I'll go to a shoe store, but that day my never come.

Regardless, the few times I shopped at Payless, I was dissatisfied. They seemed to disintegrate in very short order, or they'd leave me with aching feet. I have no problem paying $100 for a pair of SAS loafers because I know they'll last way more than 5X longer than $20 loafers from Payless.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

I live in Chicago (the city, not a burb) and buy shoes online. I’ve gotten a couple of pairs that didn’t fit as they were too narrrow. Easy enough for me to walk across the street to the UPS store to return them. There’s a much better selection online.

Last edited by dalej42; 02-16-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:03 PM

Who buys shoes in a store?

Going to the sports stores to buy "tenny runners" today is depressing. You can get white, maybe black or SUPER BRIGHT NEON MULTICOLOR MARDI GRAS shoes.

And if by some fluke there's a nice color one, they don't have it in my size.

Online I can get dark/navy blue shoes in my size. No neon.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoieGrasIsEvil View Post
How do you feel about renting bowling shoes?

Oh, god. Nope
Not gonna happen. Not really into bowling though. There are many, many things I won't do in public because of my phobias. Public restrooms give me panic attacks.
I work on this problem everyday, pushing my comfort level back. At the moment I have seemingly taken a few steps backwards. I went to an Elementary school this past week(small win). I normally avoid those places like they carry the plague ( maybe just viruses) I'm working hard on that thing because my oldest granddaughter starts kindergarten, this year. And I want to go to her events. Wish me luck.

Last edited by Beckdawrek; 02-16-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:46 PM

I kept trying to buy shoes in stores, but I may have finally given it up. The last time I went through, no store had what I wanted in my size (a common size, too). I don't buy that much online, but in this case the advantage was selection, price, and convenience.

As far as Payless goes, they seem to ahve been running downhill for a decade, so I'm not very surprised.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I stopped buying shoes from local stores many years ago mainly because they hardly ever have my size. I shop online pretty much exclusively now.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:58 PM

When you don't wear a standard size shoe, you buy shoes online. In the last 20 years, I bought 2 pairs of shoes in stores. One was a closeout sale of a small store, and I found the best shoes I've ever owned. I've never seen that brand in a store since. The other was a clearance pair of men's water shoes that I can use in the pool.
Other than that, if I do go to a store, they have to special-order my size. Once I know a size and style, I can order them online.

I wear a women's size 9 EEEE. I need to have orthotics in every brand but Klogs. Stores don't stock them.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:16 AM
Charter Member

The only shoes I wear are Cross-Trekkers men’s Double Strap. Size 13W. I will need to find a way to make contact with the manufacturer, so I can continue to obtain them.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticKnot View Post
When you don't wear a standard size shoe, you buy shoes online.
^ This is me.

Apparently, brick-and-mortar stores decided at some point that women don't have feet wider than a "C" - I'm an EE. When the brick-and-mortar stores stopped stocking anything more than "standard" sizes I no longer had a choice, I had to start shopping on line. It's not that I abandoned them, they abandoned me.

For work shoes, I know exactly what brand, size, and model works for me. When I need to, I just order a new pair. Otherwise, I'm living in my 30+ year old Birkenstocks and a few pairs of "nice" shoes that I have kept in usable condition over the years, in no small part because I seldom need to use them.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:14 AM

The prices went up as quality went down.......all their sneakers were held together by the flap over the toes ......once that started to come off the shoe it was like wearing a flip flop because the sole would separate from the shoe

After the 3rd pair in a year did that I just took the pairs hanging off the rack at Walmart....
Old 02-17-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
The only shoes I wear are Cross-Trekkers menís Double Strap. Size 13W. I will need to find a way to make contact with the manufacturer, so I can continue to obtain them.
Have you tried Amazon or Zappos?
Old 02-17-2019, 08:56 AM

Very sad. My own shoes I don't buy there, but we buy for our kids there, and it's possibly the most economic was of shoe-buying for a family. Living in New York, we have no Wal-Mart, and K-Mart died a few months back, so I guess Target will have to be our new shoe place. It'll get quite expensive.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Oh come on now OP, itís not like Payless was the go to place for shoes and now your only alternative is JC Penneys. The physical retail locations for shoe shopping are literally endless.
Kohls
Famous Footwear
DSW
Thousands of shops by brand stores in malls and outlet malls (Nike, Sketchers, Adidas, Puma, Merrel)
Macys
Finish Line
Foot Locker
Target
Nordstrom Outlet
Ross
TJ Maxx
Marshalls
Dicks Sporting Goods
And on and on and on and on.....

IMHO, the whole panic over the decline of brick and mortar retail is overblown. As it is I still canít find a decent parking space at any type of shopping center and the checkout lines are still slow.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:45 AM

I haven’t bought anything from Payless since I was a kid. I looked in one last year and it all seemed like cheap crap. I get pretty much everything from DSW.
Old 02-17-2019, 02:16 PM

Please God, don't let Alamo's in Andersonville close...Please God, don't let Alamo's in Andersonville close...
Old 02-17-2019, 04:27 PM

Terry Pratchett: ďBut the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.Ē
Old 02-17-2019, 05:09 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Terry Pratchett: ďBut the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.Ē
I was thinking of this exact same quote, in fact.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Many Cats View Post
Please God, don't let Alamo's in Andersonville close...Please God, don't let Alamo's in Andersonville close...
Nah, not gonna happen anytime soon. They actually have decent service, quality merchandise, and a well-established niche in the area. Totally different customer base than Payless, thatís for sure.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:57 PM

When our kids were small there was a Payless a couple of blocks from the house where we bought all their shoes. When their feet got big enough to buy from DSW we started buying them there (it happened pretty early for both of them). DSW has better quality shoes and aren't any more expensive than Payless.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:

I buy only two shoe brands. Merrell and Mephisto. I always know exactly how their shoes are going to fit me, and I know I'll always be able to find a style I like online. So I only buy shoes online.

I hate shoe-shopping at brick-and-mortar stores.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:19 PM

I thought they went out of business years ago. Shows what I know.

(Word to the wise: do NOT go to Shoe Carnival. I learned this the hard way. Got three pairs of really cute boots for a really great price, and they all ended up falling apart in like, three months.)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 02-17-2019 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teela brown View Post
I like DSW as a bricks-and-mortar shoe store. They carry overstock and last year's models of shoes. The shoes come from a large assortment of brand names and their prices are low(ish).
Oh? That's why they exist? I don't shop online, either, and I've learned to like DSW because I can find and stockpile 12W to 14 (whatever happens to fit). And they have plain, boring white trainers. I can't recognize shoes' model years, FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire View Post
Oh come on now OP, it’s not like Payless was the go to place for shoes and now your only alternative is JC Penneys. The physical retail locations for shoe shopping are literally endless.
None of them specialize in the paper and cardboard disposable shoes that Payless does, though. I grew up on Payless, and it would have been nice to take my daughter there for disposable shoes. I'm not sure where to look now.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

But what about the Palessi locations; are those staying open?

Seriously, though, I used to mostly buy my shoes at K-mart, which had good prices and selection. I don't know if K-mart still exists somewhere, but all the stores that used to be around here are closed, now. So I switched to Payless, which also has good prices, though not quite as much selection. And yes, there are plenty of other places to buy shoes, but at those prices?

As for folks who buy online: That'd only have even a chance of working if you already know your size. How do you learn what your size is in the first place?
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and I've tried shoes from the expensive places, too, on the Vimes theory that they'd be worth it if they lasted longer. None of them are any better than what I got at K-mart.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
As for folks who buy online: That'd only have even a chance of working if you already know your size. How do you learn what your size is in the first place?
Look inside the shoe you're currently wearing and order the same size. Works for me. Worst case scenario, I walk a little funny for awhile, or wear bulky socks.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:15 PM

My Target and Walmart have terrible shoe departments. The Walmart is rows and rows of empty racks and the Target looks like one of the closing Paylesses threw up on it. It's chaos. No rhyme or reason, very unlikely to find something at a reasonable price for its quality in stock in your size. I don't have much faith in Kmart and Sears being around much longer and JCP is kind of far away. I will do the Marshalls/TJMaxx/Burlington Coat Factory thing, but they don't keep items in stock regularly. I used to get these awesome cheap ones at Payless when they'd run out and I'd go back and get the same pair again. I get a good one at TJM and they'll never have them again. My local Kohls is kind of a mess. Either overpriced or badly stocked and it's tiny between the aisles and makes it unpleasant shopping.

So yeah, Payless had crappy quality, but it was what I needed a lot, especially with a kid. I don't need expensive shoes that only last a year. This is gonna suck for me, even though I won't be shoeless. I won't shop online. My feet aren't wide width, but I can't fit into narrow width. I'm between sizes too so I can't trust something if I can't try it on. Plus sometimes something fits but is such a pain to get on or has some other thing you can't tell from a picture only. I hate doing online returns.

Also, my kid's uniform is fairly strict and Payless is one of the only places that ALWAYS had uniform compliant shoes.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I've bought my shoes at Payless since elementary school.
Your parents made you buy your own shoes in elementary school? Harsh but fair I guess.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:34 PM

Honestly not surprised. I've been going there for as long as they've been around here mostly for the wide variety of wide width shoes. Memphis has several and the one in Bartlett is just around the corner. They used to have cute shoes cheap. Now they have crappy shoes that aren't cheap compared to the crappy shoes you can get at Walmart.

Our Goodwill always has a decent variety of new shoes still in the boxes. I don't know how they come across them but I got some new Converse for 14 dollars a few months ago. I'm guessing they were returns, but they still had tags and the bottoms looked perfectly clean so it was a great deal to me.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

These days, I buy my shoes in an honest-to-gosh shoe store. It's a family business that has been in business for decades. They know the type of shoe I like. They keep notes on my shoe size and what I've purchased before (on cards! not a computer!). They take my foot size in case they are suggesting a brand of shoe I haven't worn before, because every brand does things a bit differently.

The shoes tend to run more expensive than Famous Footwear and Payless and the like, but they fit better, are far more comfortable, and also last much, much longer. In my own small way, I'm living the reality of the Vimes Boots Theory.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:44 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

I essentially wear three types of shoes:

1) Running shoes. I'm terribly fussy about these, and only wear certain models from New Balance. I'll only buy them from running shoe / equipment stores.

2) Everyday walking sneakers. I buy them at the same place I buy my running shoes.

3) Dark slip-on casual shoes. I've bought these online from Land's End for a decade. I know what model and size I wear, and if a pair doesn't fit right (I'm on, I think, my fifth pair), I send them back.

I have a few other pairs of shoes: a pair of boots that I also bought from Land's End, and a pair of men's dress shoes that I was gifted from a friend (they were her father's shoes, and happened to fit me).
Old 02-17-2019, 11:50 PM
Corellian Nerfherder

Quote:
How do you not know your shoe size? Do you know your pants size and your shirt size? To me, this is like basic life information. I can see it being an issue if you're buying shoes for a growing child, whose shoe size may not be what it was the last time you bought shoes for her, but for an adult?

And, as others have already noted, sites like Zappos have commentary on whether a particular style of shoe runs big or small, and if you get them and they aren't right, you send them back for the right size. It's not that hard.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Oh, and I've tried shoes from the expensive places, too, on the Vimes theory that they'd be worth it if they lasted longer. None of them are any better than what I got at K-mart.
You must not walk very much. My feet would be bloody stumps if I wore nothing but Kmart shoes.