Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 AM

The SPLC Victim Support Group

Now that this outfit has been revealed in even the most left wing of publications as being a hustle, perhaps now it is time for its victims to commiserate.

I was thinking of something along the lines of what they did with the Madoff con, and other similar cons. Since I have not the budget to produce a 60 Minutes-style expose, complete with crying victims leaning into the embrace of their steadfast but weary spouses, this thread will do. Maybe the victims should first tell us how much they were hustled for, then lay out exactly how they were trapped in the Dees con.

I know at least one of you have already copped to having been bilked. Now that you know were hustled by a con only slightly more sophisticated than the Nigerian email play, will you share with us your feelings? Please don't make me do a search and out all the simpleminded folks who sent a portion of their SS check every year. This is a safe space.

On another level, we have the many many posters who have cited the SPLC. These naifs overlap nicely with those who believe they can spot fake news. Maybe that's why the dewy-eyed simps were so happy when Alex Jones got booted, they knew they were so credulous that they must be shielded from what others can obviously discern as bullshit. This thread is also for you.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:32 AM

Even that article recognizes the enormous amount of good the SPLC has done over the years. Which doesn't excuse any of the organizations' sins. Hopefully it will do better going forward, because white supremacism in the US is still a powerful force.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-24-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:47 AM

Fuck off, Will.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillFarnaby View Post
Now that this outfit has been revealed in even the most left wing of publications as being a hustle, perhaps now it is time for its victims to commiserate.

I was thinking of something along the lines of what they did with the Madoff con, and other similar cons. Since I have not the budget to produce a 60 Minutes-style expose, complete with crying victims leaning into the embrace of their steadfast but weary spouses, this thread will do. Maybe the victims should first tell us how much they were hustled for, then lay out exactly how they were trapped in the Dees con.

I know at least one of you have already copped to having been bilked. Now that you know were hustled by a con only slightly more sophisticated than the Nigerian email play, will you share with us your feelings? Please don't make me do a search and out all the simpleminded folks who sent a portion of their SS check every year. This is a safe space.

On another level, we have the many many posters who have cited the SPLC. These naifs overlap nicely with those who believe they can spot fake news. Maybe that's why the dewy-eyed simps were so happy when Alex Jones got booted, they knew they were so credulous that they must be shielded from what others can obviously discern as bullshit. This thread is also for you.
Why yes, just because one finds that Nixon was a crook then it follows that all Republicans after were. And it also follows that therefore all the efforts they did were bad for the nation. /s

(Some will argue that, but again, finding good examples of the bad does not deny the good efforts)

Even I can see how weapon's grade stupid your "logic" is.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM

Althought the nature Morris Dees' fuck-up hasn't been disclosed, I will note that he was fired over it. You will not see this happen with Republicans. In addition, the President of the group has stepped down. I hope the organization is able to clean house, because they do good work in this country.
(I would, however, like to see Morris Dees own up to whatever he did. He's let a lot of donors down, and maybe caused hurt- I don't know what the hell he's accused of.)
Old 03-24-2019, 11:06 AM

“The work could be meaningful and gratifying. But it was hard, for many of us, not to feel like we’d become pawns in what was, in many respects, a highly profitable scam.“

“We were working with a group of dedicated and talented people, fighting all kinds of good fights, making life miserable for the bad guys. And yet, all the time, dark shadows hung over everything: the racial and gender disparities, the whispers about sexual harassment, the abuses that stemmed from the top-down management, and the guilt you couldn’t help feeling about the legions of donors who believed that their money was being used, faithfully and well, to do the Lord’s work in the heart of Dixie. We were part of the con, and we knew it.”
Old 03-24-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIGObuster View Post
Why yes, just because one finds that Nixon was a crook then it follows that all Republicans after were. And it also follows that therefore all the efforts they did were bad for the nation. /s

(Some will argue that, but again, finding good examples of the bad does not deny the good efforts)

Even I can see how weapon's grade stupid your "logic" is.
I have no idea why you are rambling about Nixon and Republicans. Iím talking about scams, cons, and hoodwinks.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Isaiah 1:15/Screw the NRA
Charter Member

Eh, what Kobal2 said.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Fuck off, Will.
Anger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiandyiiii View Post
Even that article recognizes the enormous amount of good the SPLC has done over the years. Which doesn't excuse any of the organizations' sins. Hopefully it will do better going forward, because white supremacism in the US is still a powerful force.
Denial.

From what I’ve heard, these are stages victims go through.

I was thinking of something different in the way of testimonials, but maybe it is not the time.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 03-24-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Denial.

From what I heard, these are stages victims go through.

I was thinking of something different in the way of testimonials, but maybe it is not the time.
I'm sorry if you're in denial that the SPLC is a flawed organization with some flawed leaders that nevertheless has done some good things in its history. And I'm sorry if you're in denial that this doesn't excuse the bad things its done, including bilking gullible people out of money. But if you'd like to discuss the actual facts of this flawed organization, you might actually find some people willing to discuss it. If you're just interested in silliness like whatever this straw-man post is (are you of the impression that I, or any particular other posters, have donated money to the SPLC?), then you'll probably be lonesome.

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-24-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 AM

It's about damn time somebody challenged the San Pedro Lacrosse Championships. Those refs were blind!
Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 AM

I’m here to help. I understand it is hard to admit when you fall for a scam. One time years ago I gave a lady $5 on the street after a sob story. She was out there hours later. Those with good intentions are often the target of scams like the SPLC.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry if you're in denial that the SPLC is a flawed organization with some flawed leaders that nevertheless has done some good things in its history. And I'm sorry if you're in denial that this doesn't excuse the bad things its done, including bilking gullible people out of money. But if you'd like to discuss the actual facts of this flawed organization, you might actually find some people willing to discuss it. If you're just interested in silliness like whatever this straw-man post is (are you of the impression that I, or any particular other posters, have donated money to the SPLC?), then you'll probably be lonesome.
Can we get a dollar amount, for the record? For how much did they take you to the cleaners?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Can we get a dollar amount, for the record? For how much did they take you to the cleaners?
Zero.

Are you in denial about this? I'm sorry if so. Having your expectations shattered can be difficult.

EDIT: Why not share with us the organizations to whom you've donated. Are you afraid to this, or maybe in denial?

Last edited by iiandyiiii; 03-24-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:23 AM

Simple really:

When someone in a left-leaning organization does something unethical, this means the entire organization is the same, and indeed, the entire left political spectrum must also bear the responsibility. This is because they are not just wrong in their ideas but actively evil. When the organization censures this person, and even fires the person at the top, this simply proves their guilt, and reinforces the fact that the entire left is to blame.

Conversely:

When someone in a right-leaning organization does something unethical, this means that they were a bad apple, probably coerced into this act by leftist ideas. Because of this, the entire left political spectrum must bear the responsibility. This is because the right-wing are not just correct in their ideas but blessed by God himself. When the organization protects and promotes this person, and denies that anything bad ever happened, and that this story is "fake new", this simply proves their innocence, and reinforces the fact that the entire left is to blame.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:24 AM

Re: andy

We have a survivor! Perhaps you knew the SPLC stuff was BS all along but cited them for partisan political purposes. Congrats, you avoided the scam, but please hang out to offer support for the economic victims.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 03-24-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Simple really:

When someone in a left-leaning organization does something unethical, this means the entire organization is the same, and indeed, the entire left political spectrum must also bear the responsibility. This is because they are not just wrong in their ideas but actively evil. When the organization censures this person, and even fires the person at the top, this simply proves their guilt, and reinforces the fact that the entire left is to blame.

Conversely:

When someone in a right-leaning organization does something unethical, this means that they were a bad apple, probably coerced into this act by leftist ideas. Because of this, the entire left political spectrum must bear the responsibility. This is because the right-wing are not just correct in their ideas but blessed by God himself. When the organization protects and promotes this person, and denies that anything bad ever happened, and that this story is "fake new", this simply proves their innocence, and reinforces the fact that the entire left is to blame.
Post 6

The New Yorker article plainly states the organization was a con.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 03-24-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:27 AM

WillF, what organizations have you donated money to?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 AM

"...Center attorneys filed a civil suit on behalf of Donald's mother, Beulah Mae Donald vs. United Klans. In 1987, the Center won an historic $7 million verdict against the men involved in the lynching. The verdict marked the end of the United Klans, the same group that had beaten the Freedom Riders in 1961, murdered civil rights worker Viola Liuzzo in 1965, and bombed Birmingham's 16th Street Baptist Church in 1963."

https://www.splcenter.org/seeking-ju...-klans-america

That's all for me here. Go to Hell, Op. And fuck off, too.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Re: andy

We have a survivor! Perhaps you knew the SPLC stuff was BS all along but cited them for partisan political purposes. Congrats, you avoided the scam, but please hang out to offer support for the economic victims.
I can't tell what you're actually responding to. If you actually want to have a conversation, please be specific -- what the hell is this post referring to?
Old 03-24-2019, 11:34 AM

There's a whole long thread about the SPLC already. The only reason the OP created a new thread was to troll the libs. Don't give him the satisfaction.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Post 6

The New Yorker article plainly states the organization was a con.
Obvious troll is obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphonious Polemic View Post
Obvious troll is obvious.
Beat you to it my one minute.

Quote:
Anger.

Contempt.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have no idea why you are rambling about Nixon and Republicans. I’m talking about scams, cons, and hoodwinks.
Like I said..

And it is not my problem that you show all how dense you are, 'please proceed Governor'..

Last edited by GIGObuster; 03-24-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobal2 View Post
Fuck off, Will.
This was, verbatim, to be my response, but I decided he didn't even merit that. What an incredibly sad, trifling human being.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:50 PM

I just wanted to say that I came into this thread thinking it might have something to do with expressing support for the actual victims of the SPLC misconduct: namely, the women and minorities within the organization who were systematically harassed and discriminated against.

But what I find is that the OP is callously using their victimization as a pretext for mocking people who weren't victimized by the SPLC at all, except in the trivial sense of having too much of their donations spent on overhead and marketing rather than the organization's actual mission.

Yes, the OP should fuck off with that bullshit.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

The SLPV is shaken to its core 48 hours ago and WillFarnaby can’t wait to crow about it.

Meanwhile, the Confederacy fell a century and a half ago and WillFarnaby still can’t get over it.

Last edited by Ravenman; 03-24-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu View Post
I just wanted to say that I came into this thread thinking it might have something to do with expressing support for the actual victims of the SPLC misconduct: namely, the women and minorities within the organization who were systematically harassed and discriminated against.

But what I find is that the OP is callously using their victimization as a pretext for mocking people who weren't victimized by the SPLC at all, except in the trivial sense of having too much of their donations spent on overhead and marketing rather than the organization's actual mission.

Yes, the OP should fuck off with that bullshit.
According to the piece I linked to, the former SPLCer listed those victims that were bilked out of money among other victims.

Post 6
Old 03-25-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman View Post
The SLPV is shaken to its core 48 hours ago and WillFarnaby canít wait to crow about it.

Meanwhile, the Confederacy fell a century and a half ago and WillFarnaby still canít get over it.
?? I guess this makes sense if you canít comprehend nuanced positions on topics outside crony military contracts.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
One time years ago I gave a lady $5 on the street after a sob story. She was out there hours later.
My regards to your mother.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
WillF, what organizations have you donated money to?
He started a GoFuckMyself page and donated to that.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

I have contributed to the SPLC, and sure, I would have been a good deal less likely to do so if I knew the extent to which they were rolling in the dough.

Besides that, they were to some extent picking and choosing their fights in terms of their popular (i.e. fundraising) appeal.

That's the extent of it. The SPLC was still doing good work, but maybe not as good as we thought, and certainly could have done a lot more, given their resources.

This isn't at all like the Madoff con. Nobody's investing their life savings in the SPLC, and winding up bankrupt. People generally don't give money to charity that they need to pay the rent or put supper on the table. The most you can say is that the money that people like me contributed to the SPLC might've helped out a more deserving charity instead, or might've paid for a few restaurant meals instead.

So I'm not feeling particularly distraught this morning. More like "you live, you learn." Sorry to disappoint you, Will.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
ďThe work could be meaningful and gratifying. But it was hard, for many of us, not to feel like weíd become pawns in what was, in many respects, a highly profitable scam.ď

ďWe were working with a group of dedicated and talented people, fighting all kinds of good fights, making life miserable for the bad guys. And yet, all the time, dark shadows hung over everything: the racial and gender disparities, the whispers about sexual harassment, the abuses that stemmed from the top-down management, and the guilt you couldnít help feeling about the legions of donors who believed that their money was being used, faithfully and well, to do the Lordís work in the heart of Dixie. We were part of the con, and we knew it.Ē
That critique centers around lack of staff diversity, alleged abuse of female employees and targeting of relatively weak and insignificant bogeymen in order to keep the donations rolling in.

Your selected quote however indicates the SPLC was taking on worthy causes and doing good at the same time.

So, a flawed organization (their recent "enemies" lists struck me as off base in some respects) but hardly a Madoffian scam.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:14 AM

http://m.nautil.us/blog/-why-doing-g...sier-to-be-bad
Old 03-25-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingon View Post
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I believe there's a lot of rot in the human rights industry, because it can easily shield itself from scrutiny on the basis that they are the Good Guys (TM); so it attracts a certain type of people who are kind of awful but want to be seen as saints, and I do mean saints, see Mother Theresa as an example.

I know of a case here in Thailand, an NGO that advocates for Burmese workers that waxes poetically about Human Rights and the Rule of Law while some of its members are part of the group that instigated and carried out the Rohingya ethnic cleansing campaign not long ago.

These things are left to fester, in part, because bringing them to light would hurt the overall cause of pro Human Rights work, at least that's what I think the rationale is; but leaving bad people to do the Good Work for the benefit of keeping up the appearances doesn't seem to be a good strategy
Most importantly, as in the SPLC case, the person running the show clearly treated the position as a money making business, with the commodity being the struggle against bigotry, racism and the like, more of that means more profits so there's an incentive to not fix the problems but to keep them going for as long as possible.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 AM

Yes that’s why rackets like representative democracy and the mafia are successful. They do things that on the surface are good like handing out turkeys on Thanksgiving. Meanwhile it’s extortion and murder that backs it all up.

Last edited by WillFarnaby; 03-25-2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Well, enough about the Trump administration..

Seriously though, at the SPLC they tossed out the leadership for that corruption, no such luck in other places.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Yes thatís why rackets like representative democracy and the mafia are successful. They do things that on the surface are good like handing out turkeys on Thanksgiving. Meanwhile itís extortion and murder that backs it all up.
Do you have any insight on how to deal with squirrels?

CMC fnord!
Old 03-25-2019, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes thatís why rackets like representative democracy and the mafia are successful. They do things that on the surface are good like handing out turkeys on Thanksgiving. Meanwhile itís extortion and murder that backs it all up.
You're starting to sound like Dennis the Peasant.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Please point out where in the post you cited there was any suggestion that the outward actions, causes and statements supported by the SPLC were in any way incorrect. Near as I can tell the main criticism was that the internal mismanagement of the organization prevented them from doing even more good work.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

My ignorance of the SPLC hasn't been properly fought. I didn't know what that acronym stood for.

And I have to confess I haven't been paying much attention to who WillFarnaby is or what he says.
But after reading this thread it seems like I was going about this matter correctly.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaDog View Post
My ignorance of the SPLC hasn't been properly fought. I didn't know what that acronym stood for.
When I see it I always think it must be a variant of HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography).
Old 03-25-2019, 11:18 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
if I were to sock as a shit-faced hate-filled caricature of a human being, I would use you as a prime example to emulate.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Wait, what? I want to hear more. Where do I get my free government turkey?

Meanwhile, what's the argument here? Does the OP believe he's found some sort of airtight argument against charitable donations, or what?
Old 03-25-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Godot View Post
Please point out where in the post you cited there was any suggestion that the outward actions, causes and statements supported by the SPLC were in any way incorrect. Near as I can tell the main criticism was that the internal mismanagement of the organization prevented them from doing even more good work.
The output largely cited were political targets of SPLC. They were simple smear jobs. The claims of racism were hyperbolic, as claimed by the whistleblower. There are serious problems with someone who cites from a source that is referred to by its own members as a con.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:48 AM

Lay off poor Will, he clearly needs all the victim support he can get.

God only knows what was done to him in childhood.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:53 AM

If you would like to qualify your citations of SPLC, go ahead. I would suggest something like the following: “The SPLC, internally described as a scam by its content providers, believes ________ is a white supremacist organization because _____. “
Old 03-25-2019, 12:18 PM
Sith Mod

Quote:
The output largely cited were political targets of SPLC. They were simple smear jobs. The claims of racism were hyperbolic, as claimed by the whistleblower.
Where does your cite say that?
Old 03-25-2019, 12:24 PM

WillFarnaby: screaming libertarian silliness into the wind since 2011.