2007 SDMB Pickup Artist Club, August

Anthony Edwards is hot.

That’s an excellent suggestion. But this is about building skills. I need to build the skill of having my brain not stall out, for one thing. For another, I need to improve my art of conversation, as well as getting from “How you doin’” to “Give me your phone number.” I’ve always had a problem getting from the one to the other, no matter the setting. I need to learn to close the deal.

I suppose I could take art classes, but they’re expensive. And even if I do, and meet the girl of my dreams there, if I can’t get her phone number, all I’ve gotten for my money is art skills. Not a bad thing, but I want a twofer! :slight_smile:

And once again, what if I sign up for art classes, and there’s nobody in the class that appeals to me? I want to have some control over my situation. That’s what this is all about!

That was the joke. :wink:

That’s my point - even now, speaking hypothetically, you’re entirely too focused on the possibility that you might screw up. Stop thinking about it so hard and just get out there and do it.

I trying to.

In fact, someone just picked me up. Not in a romantic way or anything, as she’s married. But she complimented me on my tie. (Rule 1: Dress in a way that invites positive comments.) I thanked her, and it was really tempting to let it go at that, but I tried to turn the thank you into a conversation. We ended up talking for a good 20 minutes, and I learned a lot about her.

It was very nice. :slight_smile:

See ya got in ya! Now do that with an available chicka!

Oh yeah. Actually, available, not available, whatever.

I think one thing I need to work on is guaging reaction. I always forget to do that. You know, see if she seems a little more willing to get personal or needs a bit more comfort zone, and adjust the conversation accordingly. That’s probably a key to ramping up the intimacy level.

But the eye contact was excellent, the conversation didn’t dwell on any topic to long, and there was an equal exchange of ideas.

Oh, and she was pretty. :slight_smile:

Socialness man, for the win!

Live it love it enjoy it, and some woman might ask you for YOUR number! And not just the cable lady!

netsplit, my main wingman! :wink:

Make any new contacts today? We should both make at least one tomorrow. I’m in your corner. Be in mine.

Well I had stuff to do, but tomorrow I’m planning on scouting out some hang outs. Like the mall.
I had a few minutes to get on msn though. Talked to this chick I used to know. It was good practice.

Had an interesting albeit nonstandard conversation, about evolution, geeks, tallness, wonder bread, and might have implied tate luci, the 3 million year old hominid skeleton was a lesbian when she was alive.
Just building up ma energy/confidence/enthuisasm and look out female populace.

Woah! Slow down a bit. Let’s let Anaamika and Dung Beetle chime in for a bit. They’ve got a bit more history with me.

That’s the thing that really gets you places. I was a fumbling geek until age 17, and for some reason it just started clicking and I was amazed at how well the candid approach worked when it was well-timed. For example, a female friend and were the first people to show up (separately) at a mutual friend’s house for a drinky little get-together, expecting one more person to come later. Our host showed us the guest room, with two beds, and she said “I’ll take that one”. I was feeling adventurous, so I casually said, “I’ll take that one, too.” We didn’t ‘hook up’ that night, but I did get my second ever kiss from her. (“I just had my first kiss last week. How’d you like to share my second one?”) Really more of an all-night makeout session until we wore each other out and fell asleep. But later when we were tripping together at my place, she asked, “What does kissing feel like on DXM?” and some deep recess of my addled mind spat out “That’s for me to know and you to find out”. She did find out, and then she promptly became the second woman to ever have sex with me.

It’s those little, adventurous, simple things that come out at just the right time. That comes naturally, so you just have to relax enough (ie, not care about whether or not you’ll actually make progress) that they come through loud and clear, and nonchalantly let them fall out of your head and into the air. The last example that worked for me was probably the simplest one. I’d been out with a girl two or three times, and we went out for Chinese one day between two of my classes. She gave me a ride back to campus, and right before I was going to step out of my car, I said “Goodbye kiss?”–just two words–in much the same way as you would say “Do you think it’ll rain today?” She said “OK!” and we made out, and it was glorious. If a little wet.

Have you tried the gym? Nothing hardcore, just one of those storefront places with a bunch of treadmills. Pay by the month and go a few times a week. They’re great because the people there are all local, and it’s low pressure because a) people are focused on their workout, and b) you’ll probably see her again anyway. And if you don’t like the pickings at the first gym, you just go to another one.

Wow, fetus! Way to work it!

That’s where I’m heading.

Grossbottom, good suggestion on the gym. Ironically, I think I need to drop a bit more weight with home exercise first. It’s the same line of thought as when you need to clean, scrub, and sterilize your home before you hire a maid. :wink:

Part of this whole deal is to do things I would previously never have thought of doing. It’s very like me to spot, for example, a hot blonde sitting out on a bench and smoking a cigarette. Just for example. If she’s, like, way totally hot and stuff, I’ll think “Wow, I’d hit that!” But the thought of just going up to such a hot blonde and saying hi and talking to her? Unthinkable! No way I have the balls to do something like that.

Her name is Mariah. She’s from Holland. And she’s totally charming!

Unfortunately, she’s leaving the country in two weeks.